[Guide] The Dueling Compendium

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
To be honest, it's not quite the direction I'd take it in. (I think it was SeV who suggested an alternative direction which sounds interesting to me.) The question right now is whether the current course can be polished enough that it won't be... well, what it is right now.

Everyone knows that to #MakeMB2GreatAgain, you have to revert to V1.0 sabering system, or even better V.0.1.4 with kick-slap fixed.

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
Yes, the biggest mistake in 1.4.3 was unquestionably the fact that PBs no longer broke combos while the difficulty of combo-PBing was left unchanged. Stassin and Tempest have already said that there will be a few changes to make combo-PBing and mblocking a little easier, like animation slowdowns and possibly partially locked combos. Until then, though, it's lightclub time. :(
partially? Might as well fully lock them again.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
partially? Might as well fully lock them again.

Me, I'd go with SeV's idea instead. Buuuut I might be biased due to favoring a defensive playstyle in 1.4.2. I seemed to be channeling Soresu most of the time. :oops:

k4far

Banned
Donator
3aaf92f9ec7e0.png

So we have four actually relevant places where you should be looking to perfect block more often. Top ones will allow you to PB high and middle swings (keep your crosshair a little above the head bit to left/right, the lower ones will allow you to block middle and bottom swings (you want the crosshair next to the belly of your opponent). I believe these spots include all of the possible swings regardless of the angle.

It is working for me and I am a total amateur at this. Could anyone confirm, maybe in my bottomless ignorance I am overlooking some important detail? (I am well aware of w attacks - these still need to be blocked by looking a little above the head, but who is using them anyway).

- MORE -​
Speaking of which,
You only ever need 4 angles to pblock everything.

On a side note:
There are some problems. For example with people playing good hit and run: doing a couple of swings then backing and avoiding every counter attack slapping you and you are out of points in seconds (must be the difference in experience), also ones that fight by not looking straight but sideways are quite the pain to predict where the blow will land regardless of how good you can do in more common circumstances.

Last edited:
3aaf92f9ec7e0.png

So we have four actually relevant places where you should be looking to perfect block more often. Top ones will allow you to PB high and middle swings (keep your crosshair a little above the head bit to left/right, the lower ones will allow you to block middle and bottom swings (you want the crosshair next to the belly of your opponent). I believe these spots include all of the possible swings regardless of the angle.

It is working for me and I am a total amateur at this. Could anyone confirm, maybe in my bottomless ignorance I am missing something? (I am well aware of w attacks - these still need to be blocked by looking a little above the head, but who is using them anyway).

- MORE -
Speaking of which,
That was in 1.3 and doesn't work like that anymore.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Let us clear it out. There is more than just 4 spots for blocking. If I was experienced and able to concentrate enough I could probably use all of them to my adventage - resulting in more accurate perfect blocking. The thing is, these zones are very close to each other or even on top of each other and that is why you can be lazy like me and pretend you do not know about the rest and still be getting some results.

As I am inexperienced or rather too lazy to care, it is convenient and much easier to me thinking of less during more intense exchange of blows or when gunners are bugging you.

If it is working then who cares.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
The PB zones are pretty fucked up, which is why you guys get the impression that you can just aim in some general direction and still get PBs easily. Omitting the overhead zone is a bit weird though. There is a zone specifically for W swings, but there aren't that many ppl who actually use W swings much, I guess. Also Eazy can't you go back to being dead? :)

Eazy E

Banned
The PB zones are pretty fucked up, which is why you guys get the impression that you can just aim in some general direction and still get PBs easily. Omitting the overhead zone is a bit weird though. There is a zone specifically for W swings, but there aren't that many ppl who actually use W swings much, I guess. Also Eazy can't you go back to being dead? :)
not counting W swing there are 4 zones to pblock all hits I've tried and tested them myself.

not counting W swing there are 4 zones to pblock all hits I've tried and tested them myself.
They work when you're directly infront of them like you showed me but definitely not in practise, theres obviously just quite a bit of overlap so that they work at certain ranges etc, its a completely different story when you're getting facehugged

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
Its said that they removed overlapping but it still exists from personal experience

Nightshades

Banned
At the limit it would be welcome from the devs to code a function to draw the RECT of all pblock zone start a dedicated server connect on set cg_fov 100 make a screenshot.

We need the Technical details not a picture with the ROUNDED coordinate which is inaccurate, hard to know when you just got rejected from the coding team :D

It's like mblocking while runing without pblocking it work, maybe there are hidden mechanics in that source code :D

Also as a balance issue please lower cyan animation speed, tavion in the campaign wasn't that fast.

Just started playing mb2 yesterday, lots of fun. Started dabbling into jedi-sith stuff and had a great time till i started getting consistantly wrecked with no idea how or why.

Anyways, really helpful guide, but would it be too much trouble to ask it be made up to date/ at least strike out mechanics that aren't in the game anymore?

Honestly wish all relevant information was available in-game but can understand why it isn't. Personally not a fan of hidden mechanics or vauge stats in general.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Just started playing mb2 yesterday, lots of fun. Started dabbling into jedi-sith stuff and had a great time till i started getting consistantly wrecked with no idea how or why.

Anyways, really helpful guide, but would it be too much trouble to ask it be made up to date/ at least strike out mechanics that aren't in the game anymore?

Honestly wish all relevant information was available in-game but can understand why it isn't. Personally not a fan of hidden mechanics or vauge stats in general.
I know your pain. I was in the "no idea why" camp for an insanely long time even after I had a solid understanding of all the mechanics of the system. And the fact that tutorials and even in-game info can be out-of-date and/or ambiguous makes it a pain in the ass to learn the systems. And, speaking as someone who, as far as I can tell, understands the systems pretty dang well, I still find it weirdly insanely difficult to explain things like "how to input a half swing."

Basically to get on top of the system I recommend:
1. Trying to get someone in-game to teach you stuff. Also if you're really jonesing for clarity on any particular point, PM me questions.
2. Testing the mechanics yourself (with the help of a friend) so you can confirm how things work, AND...
3. Reading the changelogs, since most-recent-changelogs are the least out-of-date thing there is.

Thanks.

its a deep enough system with a large enough variety of mechanics to be fun to learn and see myself progress and improve, even with the short amount of time iv put into it.

After i sink on some more hours if i find myself butting my head against a wall i'll toss a Pm.