[Guide] The Dueling Compendium

Preston

Nerd
Nah it is 3, because right/upper-right/top all overlap if you aim as eazye said, slightly off the center towards the top-right.
But then theres the left side aswell, which makes it 2 spots, then theres the sa and sd swings so that makes it four right?

Did you write the updated version of this guide before the patch was even out, or just today? ;> Cheers for your valiant efforts.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I took a few notes during the betatesting, so that helped make the update faster ^^

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
This dueling compendium was updated for 1.4 months ago, right? So it's usable now?

Are there ways to unlock xhair? I mean, when my xhair near the opponent has, the xhair jumps and is glued to second one. >< Can I set my xhair free like in the specs mod or closer to it? And also there is the feeling like xhair moves independed of my aim (smoothly). I want xhair behavior (and type) like it is in specs.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
It's quite sad that they turned sabers into clubs in this update...
Always amusing to read that kind of comment knowing how many people claimed 1.3 was a much better update than 1.4... history repeats itself.

Reactions: SeV

DaloLorn

Always amusing to read that kind of comment knowing how many people claimed 1.3 was a much better update than 1.4... history repeats itself.

Yes, you got me on this one. I was against 1.4 due to that combo breaker. But now, when it is gone, many of us realised how good feature it was.

1.3 had a pretty steep learning curve because of the locked combos and non-breaking PBs. (A better way of saying it might be that there was a massive and very sudden skill gap between 'figured out the basics' and 'expert' consisting almost exclusively of encyclopedic knowledge of various combos.)

1.4 smoothened things out into a more newbie-friendly experience, with the greatest skill gap probably being the leap from a non-mblocking duelist to an mblocking duelist, because it unlocked combos. This had the side effect of making PBs a lot more important due to their combo-breaking properties, but as a primarily defensive player I don't mind that. :p

1.4.3 tried to be the best of both worlds by combining 1.3 and 1.4, but instead of smoothing the learning curve it almost deleted it altogether. Dueling right now, unless you're remarkably adept at mblocking back from the 1.4 days, is barely more than a contest to see how many swings you can throw at the opponent and how lucky you can get with your PP/PB counts. The only skill involved is slap timing/swingblocking, not predictably spamming WA-WA-WA-WA combos, and the still-elusive mblock.

Right now, seeing as a flat revert to 1.4 is unlikely, I can only pray that 1.4.4's predicted changes will correct the issue - and/or that some of the dueling-related suggestions from the 1.4.3 feedback thread will be implemented.

Last edited:

DaloLorn

Yes, the biggest mistake in 1.4.3 was unquestionably the fact that PBs no longer broke combos while the difficulty of combo-PBing was left unchanged. Stassin and Tempest have already said that there will be a few changes to make combo-PBing and mblocking a little easier, like animation slowdowns and possibly partially locked combos. Until then, though, it's lightclub time. :(

Reactions: SeV