Official 1.4 Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Please post feedback in this thread.

Offtopic will be rewarded with warning points or temp bans.

You can copy/paste your ideas, feedback, criticism from other threads since because of high amount of pointless posts, these threads have been closed.

Before posting please make sure you read
Feedback & Gameplay Posting Guidelines

Report bugs here: Bug Tracker

Last edited:
I'm an NA player. Mainly play Open, but have been frequently playing on Duel servers lately to try to understand pblocking more. As I am playing on open, people complain about flinch when they die. In Duel servers, U.S. Official duel and AOD Honor Duels, people have been complaining about Nudge and the A swing. Haven't seen any complaints about the build as a whole being trash. Haven't seen any complaints from the changes to the saber system to much. Just a lot of people trying to learn how it works at the moment.

Everyone just needs to keep playing. Keep trying out the system. The extreme levels of complaints should be completely discarded until there has been more time played of this version. People will catch on to nudge. A lot of people weren't around for nudge when it was here before, so it's a scary notion. Give it time everyone ffs lol.

Got to say I'm with Ass on this one. In-game it's nothing like the forums. People are mostly quiet and play. The vocal minority is just that.
Minor. :)

Anyone else feeling like throwing frags is off a bit? Might just be the crosshair issue again but I keep miscalculating the height/distance.

Mando ceiling crap is still there. Am I crazy and mis-remembering that there was a build where it put you into 1st person when your head hit the top?
Instead, its see through wallbugs.

Deka 1st person - at times its fine, at times below the center and others, its like the camera is using an angle meant for something else.
Reminds me, I have yet to experience a scope bug. Can't recall the last time tbh.

Okay Achilles. I'm tired of your ignorant bullshit. I am going to address it so that you can stop making a fool of yourself.

I can gain 4 ACC with any style in a very short amount of time from a few nudges and halfswings. Saying you drain full ACM from 2 PB's and a counter swing is basically saying that you don't know what you're talking about. 2 PB's and 1 counter with yellow will drain from the opponent -3 ACC which is equal to 1 ACM and 1 ACC, basically what you described drains 1 1/2 ACM, not 9 ACM. It isn't a big deal and you should be receiving a penalty for getting your anus shrekt by 2 PBs and a counter anyways. This isn't 1.3 where anything skillful you do doesn't really matter. When you PB the opponent, it has an impact, and when you counter, it does damage and has an impact. So instead of complaining that you're getting shrekt, you need to learn to use nudges and unpredictable swings to bypass Pblocks. I haven't been PBlocked more than 5 times in the couple of hours I've put into 1.4 so far and I wasn't only fighting noobs. This, like much other so-called feedback from Achilles simply amounts to L2P issues.

Halfswings were also slowed to a degree where they are all equal in speed and completely Pblockable so halfswings aren't demonstrably better than in 1.3 but the fact that they are possible from every direction and the fact that a swing can be repeated, increases the skill it takes to PB any swing, including halfswings and 'slow' swings. In any case, do you think you should be rewarded and hand held and patted on the back when you do slow swings and your opponent skillfully Pblocks you and counters you? Again this is just L2P and what you've said is in no way a negative thing even if it is wrong.

Turtling playstyle is the worst possible way of playing in 1.4. It was much, MUCH stronger in 1.3 than in 1.4 but since you're completely clueless about sabering let me spell it out for you. In 1.4 a skilled player such as myself will be able to gather a few ACMs (1 ACM being 2 ACC being 2 bodyhits), on any player. If said player is turtling, he isn't responding and isn't reducing the amount of ACC that I gain, thus when he finally starts fighting back he will be at a big disadvantage as all of my swings will deal much more damage than his swings. Furthermore, You do not receive any noticable benefits from a passive playstyle. 1.4 is a system which promotes active and skillful interactions where you are constantly swinging and PBing and interacting with your opponent, not just doing a mindless 4 hit combo and slapping automatically afterwards. If you and kael were unable to finish eachother off, it simply means you are both clueless about how to play 1.4 and can't deal with it. This doesn't mean the system is bad, it just means you have to tighten up your stubborn anus and learn to fucking play.

I can sort of understand your trepidation with the new system though, since as a 1.3 cyan user you've had to acquire absolutely no sabering skill whatsoever besides decent swing timings. In 1.4 the timing route would be for you to learn to use nudges efficiently with a style like red. But even so you'll be forced to get good at PBing and using feints and other swings that aren't so predictable and easy to PB.

You're not making much sense here, so I'm not sure what to say other than the fact that semi-perfect blocks can't make turtling stronger, since turtling means you're not attacking and thus incapable of acquiring SPB's.

No. Halfswings being of a consistent speed does not make people facehug more. Nor does the fact that chain paused swings and swings from blocking animations have been equalized in speed contribute to facehugging. The only reason people facehug is because it gives them nudge, which allows them to attack faster and thus avoid getting PB'd as much. You could learn something from that I think. In any case, what you're taking issue with here is a change which would've been very welcome in any system including 1.3, as it simply means that with a style like yellow, you can use ALL halfswings not just left. That opens up many possibilities. The only reason why you would take issue with this change would be if you didn't understand it, which I'm inclined to think is the main reason for many of your objections at this point.

Countering is harder to perform in 1.4 for two reasons. Number one is the reduced PB zones, making it harder to PB. The second reason why counters are harder to perform is that there's only a small timing window in which you can activate it. If you don't activate it within this tiny timing window, you won't perform a fast counter that deals 1.2x damage. Now keep in mind that most swings are dealing 1.1x Damage, so it isn't like counters are super strong. But they are more rewarding in 1.4 than they were in 1.3. It takes more skill to pull off a counter in 1.4, and thus counters have been made impactful.

Do you know the amount of times I've been countered by my opponent in 1.4 so far? 0 times. How many times have I countered my opponnets? Atleast 20 maybe more. And this in only a couple of hours of gameplay, half of it open mode. Countering takes skill and time to learn properly. The fact that you can call it easy is almost as stupid as you saying PB'ing is easier in 1.4 than in 1.3 when the PB zones have been reduced and made to be non-overlapping, effectively removing the easy angle and forcing you to properly PB.

This is a very neglible change and not noticable in most circumstances. It's more of a flavour touch than anything else and all it means is that spammy cyan swings don't have equal weight to a big fat red swing. It makes logical sense for heavy styles vs 'fast' styles and it's not like heavy styles will be parrying much in any case. This change does not in any way make fast styles almost worthless and neither does it affect parrying in any big way. Parrying still prevents you from losing ACC and it still prevents damage in a big way. The only area where this change shines through is when you've got a 0 BP spam situation where someone is spamming vs another guy that has more BP. When parrying on 0 BP you briefly stagger, allowing the opponent to shrek your anus for your impertinence. This is more likely to occur if you're using red vs cyan for example and it makes sense too because it balances out the gap between how many attacks red can spam vs how many attacks cyan can spam.

No. This means that blue lunge and dual stab spam is no longer an ACC accumulation factory. DFA's are the same as in 1.3. Yellow YDFA is very risky and under most circumstances, if you get hit by it you deserve to take the damage. It's very easy to avoid. It's also very easy to just sidestep and uppercut a YDFA in the back. Your complaints here are just L2P regarding YDFA, though I personally also think YDFA damage is a bit on the extreme side. I would prefer if its damage got toned down abit.

1.3 = Trading combos aka trading blows in LONG combo chains.
1.4 = Trading blows with varying lengths, often short fast intervals, sometimes long chains. There's a ton more space for variations between single hit trading, two hit trading and full combos in 1.4 than there was in 1.3

Also, 1.3 cyan is essentially just 'trading blows' as you time your swing to parry the opponent. What the fuck is your complaint about here? 1.4 is far more of diversifying sabering system than the homogenized mindless spam of 1.3

You say 1.4 doesn't feel measured any more, but in that regard 1.3 was the non-measured, spammy braindead approach. I could just go on autopilot and spam at my opponent in 1.3, but in 1.4 I'm never on autopilot but always nudging, PB'ing, countering, swinging, halfswinging, trick-swinging, semi-PBing and using footwork to either get close or get away to prevent a nudge. In 1.3 what I did was 1 thing, but in 1.4 what I do are many, many things. You saying that 1.4 isn't 'measured' anymore implies that you thought sabering in 1.3 was more measured and calculated and thoughtful than in 1.4 when in-fact it is the opposite. This isn't just a matter of opinion. The amount of actions per minute in 1.4 dueling is much higher than the amount of actions in 1.3, not to mention the brain activity required in 1.4 as opposed to just autistically repeating a few combos over and over again in 1.3.

Swingblocking doesn't stop combos and it shouldn't. Keep in mind also, that the swing restrictions have been lifted making it easier to combo in 1 direction. This is a nerf to that as much as anything else, but it isn't as much of a nerf as you think it is. The over all BP damage of swings have been upped to 1.2x so that means that whilst it looks like combo damage have been cut in half, it's really not so bad.

In any case, comboing is actually a strong tool in 1.4 due to the interrupts it allows you to perform. Versus a person in a single hit rhythm, throwing a big fat combo at his face suddenly makes you interrupt his single hit rhythm and hit him during a swing. This not only drains alot of his BP but breaks his rhythm and allows you to take the momentum back from him. While combos in 1.4 have been nerfed to some degree, they still remain a viable tool in any competent duelists arsenal. Right now, single hits, two hit combos and full combos are all viable and have their situational uses whereas before in 1.3 you only ever used combos and not much else at all. 1.4 has brought much more diversity to sabering because of this and many other changes and you simply can't understand these things unless you play the game alot and learn to play (which you seem oddly resistant to).

Staff in 1.4 is a strong style, it just doesn't rely as much on Mblock spam as before but it still has a high base dmg and is harder to PB than many other styles if played skillfully. Purple received a nerf much like red, perhaps even more so. The reason why you might be getting raped by purple more than red is for a couple of reasons. First, since you're incapable of playing around PBs with nudge, feints and halfswing fakes, you're probably getting PB'd quiet alot by purple. Secondly, you're probably allowing purple to build up some ACM by not attacking back as you seem to think turtling is viable and can make you invulnerable when in fact it just makes you more vulnerable. Third, purple scales well with ACM but has a low BP modifier. Fighting purple requires you to constantly work against its ACM gain and keep it under control. Generally in 1.4 you need to be sensitive to the back and forth ACM struggle and it matters more than in 1.3. It is also a fact that Red will be for most people harder to use in 1.4 than purple, because they aren't used to nudge yet. When they become used to nudge, they'll find red just as powerful as purple if not more so due to it's sexy nudges and the flinch.

Another L2P issue achilles. Are we starting to see a pattern here? Perhaps. Perhaps.

--

If you really want to know why we've removed the parry perk and made parrying cost something (albeit a neglible cost), here it is spelled out for even you to understand.

Parrying in 1.3 served only one purpose, it was defensive and dragged out duels that should've ended long ago. Have you ever witnessed a retarded 0 BP 4 hit yellow left right spam, jump spam jump spam jump at 0 BP before? That is one of the things we've fixed by including things like the PB combo stopper and stagger when parried to 0 BP. The reason why the cyan parry perk was removed was simply because it was a boring and noob-friendly playstyle that required little to no skill and no brains to pull off. It was also unimaginative and gave everyone an immense ball ache whenever they faced off against it, so taking such a stupid and pointless anomaly out of an otherwise excellent sabering system is logical. (Unless of course you're Achilles, and relying heavily on a broken mechanic). 1.4 forces people to utilize the many intricate elements of sabering we have available to us, like PBing, countering and halfswinging, whereas in 1.3 a cyan user could completely bypass having to PB or counter or even halfswing. All he had to do was hold WA and tap attack whenever his opponent swung at him.

I hate to break it to you, but red was an uninteresting pile of garbage with the red perk. It actively worked against the core principle behind the stance. Of course, given the fact that you're a new and clueless player, I'm not surprised to find that you think turtling with red in 1.3 was an interesting playstyle for red. Oh wait, didn't you say before that 1.4 promoted turtling and said that was a negative thing? Yet you like turtling red with a perk that's counterintuitive to its aggressive roots? Make up your mind already. You can be wrong about everything and have no clue about the game, but atleast be consistent.

The PB zones have been made smaller and they no longer overlap. Nudge can initiate very fast swings that are almost impossible to PB. You can halfswing in every direction, combo off of swing faints and swing directions have also been unlocked, allowing you to mindfuck your opponent with more possibilities than ever before.

Yet you find it easier to PB in 1.4 than in 1.3? Okay then.

Nudge to gain ACM. Parry to avoid losing ACM. Isn't parrying one of your things? Why the fuck are you not using it to prevent ACM loss with cyan then? The style can literally chain together a wall of parries and that can prevent anyone from draining your ACM.

The reason why this exception was introduced was because with blue nudge and cyan's fast nigh unblockable swings, those two stances got a vast advantage when it came to accumulating ACM. They could almost accumulate it twice as fast as yellow. Now, it's no longer a sure victory to just spam your way to high ACM and not being able to lose it fast either. Blue and cyan gain and lose ACM faster than other styles so they are a bit volatile in that regard. I think that makes them more interesting, not less.

This change allows blue style to use diagonal combos, which previously would just result in a passthrough. This has made combos faster with blue, which was one of the reasons why the swing limit was changed to be 2. The other reason being the unlocked swing directions (to avoid ye olde blue bug).

You shouldn't accuse us of having no clue how blue works when you yourself aren't even capable of understanding the implications of simple changes like the one above. Every word you write in 1.4 seems to expose your ignorance to anyone who's willing to look.

Lol. ^

Lol, Kael near perfect PB skills? Also, WA WA WA is easy as fuck to PB. Also, combo's have been nerfed to prevent this from being as impactful on gameplay. All the changes we've made have been to accomodate the system as a whole, to fit all the nuts and bolts together in a cohesive way which complements the parts, making the whole more consistent and ultimately resulting in a very well thought out sabering system. You need to learn to play.

Direction restrictions haven't made learning sabering a challenge. It's made learning it easier. One of the hardest things for new players is the combo system. I know this because I've helped many noobs over the years and they consistently struggle to combo. This change makes it easier for them to attack with combos, but also makes such combos weaker and easier to PB, not harder to PB.

Oh wait, weren't you just complaining about how PBing was easier in 1.4 than in 1.3? For fucks sake Achilles. How can you say in the same paragraph that Kael, whose PBing skills are apparently godlike, is incapable of blocking simple combos like WA, WA, WA, while in the next sentence saying that these changes have made it harder to get around an opponents block? Are you braindead?

This assumes that the gunner is a noob that can't aim pistol shots at close range, or T-21 shots. It benefits all weapons, some more than others but it benefits all weapons nonetheless. Of course, it makes it easier to play CR-3 than pistol or Big Bertha(T-21), but that's how it's always been anyway. A spammy mini-gun is always going to be easier to hit with than a powerful single hit weapon like P3.

Purple and Red still deal alot of damage to things like droideka's, SBDs and Wookiees, so they aren't useless at all. I think they're just as useful as in 1.3, if not more so given the addition of nudge, allowing a red user to actually kill gunners if he is skilled enough to get the nudge timing right. Whereas before, you'd have to buy blue/yellow to slay Commanders and BH's/Heroes. 1.4 has made all styles more independant of eachother, so you can choose Red and a bunch of force powers and just rely on your nudge skills to attack gunners. Whereas in 1.3, you pretty much needed to use yellow or blue on gunners.

So what you're saying here is sort of the opposite of reality in 1.4, which doesn't surprise me. It's a consistent theme throughout this ignorance riddled word vomit you've spewed forth.

****Jedi/Sith now have a universal 20% damage reduction in addition to the 0.75x when blocking. Does not apply when swing-blocking.

You forgot to mention the baseline addition of 20% dmg reduction to all lightsaber styles, so think of it not as a removal of DR but as a nerf for Red DR while at the same time being a boon for other styles that didn't previously have any DR.

I do think open perks were interesting to a certain extent, but removing them made it easier to balance out the open mode gameplay. I wouldn't mind open mode perks for lightsaber styles, but at the same time I don't think their removal has drastically altered anything at all. They are a flavour item and not a major contributor to the changes in 1.4 open mode gameplay. Those would be flinch and nudge in case you were wondering.

I wanted to end on a strong note, but I half agree with you here. I would like open mode perks also, but the previous perks weren't working that well and as you said yourself most of them didn't have a noticable impact on gameplay, whereas 20% DR across the board does have an impact. Perhaps open mode perks will be something to look at in future updates. I think clearing the ground was a decent choice for the devs.

This ^

Stassin

Donator
There is one thing i want to say, though it is quite a shame that the old v1.1 saber system feedback thread which would prove it is forever lost:

- v1.0 --> v1.1 main saber system complaint: BRING BACK NUDGE, IT IS RETARDED WITHOUT IT.
- v1.3 --> v1.4 main saber system complaint: REMOVE NUDGE, IT IS RETARDED WITH IT.

So now I will show you what the truth is. I'm going to talk about the saber system only.

Most people who play on duel servers can't stand nudge, yellow perk, and pblock that stops the combo. But you know what? They won't post it on forums because they have no time for it / they think their opinion won't matter anyway / they expect others to post it and to lead and represent them.
You can disagree with Achilles, but you can't ignore the fact that he represents the opinion of majority and took all the criticism on him. So please respect him for that. If you don't believe me, go to duel servers and ask people. I have been doing it since the release of 1.4. I heard only 2 positive opinions, the rest was very negative.

I use yellow style and here is my opinion:
The new system just killed the fun for me.

I. To gain acm you get into nudge range:
1. the enemy is new to the game ---> you spam him to death with the brain turned off.
2. enemy knows that you want to use nudge halfswings, he will slaps you ---> you know that he knows, so you block the slap then have 2,5 second to
spam spam spam him ---> repeat.
3. enemy knows that you want to use nudge halfswings, he will nudge too ---> Nudge Wars Episode 1.4.

II. To gain acm without nudge:
1. enemy can't pblock ---> you spam him to death with the brain turned off.
2. enemy can pblock a little:
2.1 If he uses yellow than the battle will last very long, unless you yaw.
2.2 If he uses anything other you can continue.
3. enemy can pblock very well and uses yellow:
3.1 you pblock, attack ---> he pblocks, attacks etc. ---> fight last 4 minutes until one of you is bored and decides to die.
3.2 you yaw you attacks:
3.2.1 you win by yawing (which is not fun in my opinion and I hate this "parkinsons like" style, so why do you force me to use it???)
3.2.2 you yaw ---> you get side hit ---> you die
3.2.3 you yaw ---> he is very good at pblocking ---> see point 3.1

III. To play defensively you can pblock and counter or use parries (I have an impression that due to nudge parries are useless now).
1. enemy facehugs ---> see point 3 section I
2. enemy uses pblockable styles (yellow, red, purple, blue) ---> see point 1,2,3 section I.
3. enemy uses staff, duals, cyan ---> you can't pblock it or pblock is luck based.
3.1 if you use yellow ---> you might have a chance
3.2 if you use something else ---> you die becasue of nudge / classic spam, because you can't parry it.

Like it or not, tell me I can't play and don't understand it, but this is my impression.

We all know that 1.3 had flaws, but there was one good thing about it, it was transparent. We could see what was going on on the screen. Now I don't know who parries, who nudges etc.

Now about semi-perfect block. I know how it works etc. etc. but explain it to me, how can something be half perfect? It is perfect or it is not perfect. It's like you can't be a little bit pregnant. If you block and attack at the same time, shouldn't it be a parry?

Now I would like to share some of my ideas so my post is not taken as only ''och och I don't like it, change it immidiately''

1. I would delete nudge. It looks bad, it makes fighting very clunky.

2. I would delete all saber perks, explaination:
In my opinion every style was already unique as the original JK2/JK3 creators made them.
Blue fast, but weak.
Red slow, but strong.
Duals/Staff extremaly fast etc.
Saber perks just make saber styles harder to balance (I mean perks like, purple acm gain on pblock, yellow acm killer, staff mblock stagger etc.). Open mode perks were very interesting in my opinion and I would rework them if they proved to throw the game off balance in 1.3.

3. I would bring back old combo restrictions. They were in the original game for a reason. Swings from any direction look really bad in my opinion. You will ask why? Because in real life fights noone would throw 4 jabs in a row... What's more it makes the game unreadable. If you needed more combo possibilities, at least I wouldn't allow to repeat the same direction, like W>W or D>D>D etc.

4. When it comes to pblock that stops the combo. I am aware that it was made in order to eliminate spam, but with nudge the spam still exists. I would either delete pblock stopping combos feature or rework it. I would make mblock+pblock stop the swingblocked combo. This would reward the skill in defense but not necessairly make duels static as they are right now. This was originaly Rene's idea, which I like personally.

5. I would allow red to combo as purple can so we can compensate the lack of nudge and combo direction restrictions for red style.

6. I would make 3rd hit in red style combo to stagger only if it's not pblocked. This would award the pblocking skills.

I would keep the idea that only first swing does x1 damage in order to make spam not as effective as before. But I would rework it, becasue in my opinion x0.5 damage done by every next swing is too little. I would go for example x1, x0.75, x0.75, x0.25, something like that, I am aware it would require testing.

8. I would keep blue's 2 hit combo restriction or make it 3 hit combo restriction.

9. When it comes to parries that cost bp, I am not sure about it. It would have to be tested with reference to my ideas above.

10. I would keep counters from any direction.

11. I would keep the feature that you can continue combo after a feint.

12. I would bring back yellow ''A'' halfswing, and maybe add other halfswings to it.

(13. And last thing, an extravagant idea, I'm not sure if I wanted to see it in mb2 myself. I guess the other reason to introduce nudge is that the saber doesn't penetrate other players model. What if the lightsabers were more realistic and cause damage on contact without attacking? What I mean would be the feature similar to JK2 cheat g_saberrealisticcombat 1. This would prevent facehug spam, this would make sith/jedi more cautios so they don't kill their own team --> more tactical approach. After some adjustment, it might work well together with flinch feature,
or
It would be a total disaster and we would see people cutting themselves with a glowsticks in every single match. Anyway, I wanted to share this little thing with you guys.)

What I want to underline, is that is not only my feedback, but the feedback of many people who play on the duel servers.
And last but not least, I must say that I respect time and work the devs put into new saber system, as well as the time of beta testers. This game would die long ago without you. However, I must ask you to listen and consider our opinions. Saying that we know nothing about new system or we can't play will not change the fact that new system gives no fun. A good product should be consulted with the target audience, otherwise it is going to be a failure. We are few on the forums who don't like these features, but there are dozens of players behind us who won't post here for various reasons.

I hope this will help.
K.

P.S. I have been playing mb2 for 10 years so please don't look at the number of my posts. I decided to register on forums recently because someone has to post our 1.4 feedback here.

Last edited:
There is one thing i want to say, though it is quite a shame that the old v1.1 saber system feedback thread which would prove it is forever lost:

- v1.0 --> v1.1 main saber system complaint: BRING BACK NUDGE, IT IS RETARDED WITHOUT IT.
- v1.3 --> v1.4 main saber system complaint: REMOVE NUDGE, IT IS RETARDED WITH IT.

I don't even recall nudge in 1.0. So either it wasn't advertised to the extent that it is now, or wasn't a core mechanic like it is now.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Anyone else feeling like throwing frags is off a bit? Might just be the crosshair issue again but I keep miscalculating the height/distance.

Mando ceiling crap is still there. Am I crazy and mis-remembering that there was a build where it put you into 1st person when your head hit the top?
Instead, its see through wallbugs.

I haven't had any of these crosshair things others talk about... Also, you do remember right. Auto first person used to happen when hitting walls/ceilings. That would be nice if it came back.

One thing that seems a bit more is that stutter when people connect. It lasts a about a second and a half.
I don't even recall nudge in 1.0. So either it wasn't advertised to the extent that it is now, or wasn't a core mechanic like it is now.
Yeah it was in older builds.

Only thing I think about nudge is you probably shouldn't be able to counter swing with it. You can just run up to somebody, wait for nudge to happen, and practically instaswing.

Last edited:

Preston

Nerd
Jesus christ it is like you don't know how those programs work at all. There is a difference between detecting somethings exact signature and something similar to it. They detect injectors as trojans because it does something similar and tries to protect you against unknown attacks. The difference with the cheats we detect is they are known already which means we can directly detect their signature rather than guessing. Think a little bit before you speak.
Erm, just curious... Does the Anti Cheat system detect sweetfx as a cheat? Or am I good

Sylar

Donator
Have your partner swing at you until he taunts with full ACM
Actually when the character taunts it means that you got acm +4 while the full acm is +9 IIRC.

Anyway, I kinda agree with -Kas- on the most part but the thing is we may re-think or re-evaluate our opinions as the time passes, I mean this literally happens with every patch, people complain till they adapt to it and when the next patch hits, they complain that they removed a feature that they wanted removed on the first place.

Now this may or may not be the case for this patch, but can we all agree to give some more time?

kas the only thing i really agree with in your post is that nudges are super ugly

i really wish there was a way to get nudge gameplay without nudge visuals. rc2/3 and 1.3 etc really appealed to me due to how clean the visuals and animations are consistently, but a lot of the changes made in 1.4 rely on having nudge in the game to improve the 1.3 dueling :(

Erm, just curious... Does the Anti Cheat system detect sweetfx as a cheat? Or am I good
you really won't have to worry about things like this

mb2 is not popular enough to have any attention at all from hack coders, so any legacy hacks that still have features working from old builds will be trivial for the devs to get their hands on and individually ban

Preston

Nerd
kas the only thing i really agree with in your post is that nudges are super ugly

i really wish there was a way to get nudge gameplay without nudge visuals. rc2/3 and 1.3 etc really appealed to me due to how clean the visuals and animations are consistently, but a lot of the changes made in 1.4 rely on having nudge in the game to improve the 1.3 dueling :(

you really won't have to worry about things like this

mb2 is not popular enough to have any attention at all from hack coders, so any legacy hacks that still have features working from old builds will be trivial for the devs to get their hands on and individually ban
Alrighty. + what Andrew said, I personally would like 1.4 alot more if dueling just didnt look so... ugly

good update

still a bunch of things that need balancing but a good amount of the problems from 1.3 were dealt with by introducing swing interrupts and removing saber perks

It's going to take some time for me to get used to the flinch feature so I wont really comment on that yet. Overall I think it's a good patch and addressed issues like SBD slap and Wookie rage. I think with the introduction of flinch, it has made Dekas (with discharge) a bit OP since they now have two methods of keeping jedi at bay

The thing is that a lot of the feedback you're going to get from the patches are pretty biased. For example, people who predominately play gunners will praise the flinch feature and will be happy with 1.4 while saberists will not be happy. You need to look at both sides.

Last edited:

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
The thing is that a lot of the feedback you're going to get from the patches are pretty biased. For example, people who predominately play gunners will praise the flinch feature and will be happy with 1.4 while saberists will not be happy. You need to look at both sides.
As a active jedi/sith player I'd say this is a lot more fun now. You no longer get those ez kills by rushing in and hoping it hits. I've noticed this especially when playing defense 0 (forcewhore + saber), but normal game defense 2/3 doesn't seem that much different, especially since I used to swingblock a lot anyways.

Preston

Nerd
I play both jedi and gunner alot, I think flinch is a good feature, just figure out how to make deka,sbd and cr3 a bit less strong with flinch. Good idea would ve to scale flinch with the damage per hit

Stassin

Donator
Ah I'm not referring to how the idle blocking animation cancelled combos and stopped swings. I'm referring to the RC builds mechanic where if two saberists swung at near the same time, the swing that connected faster would interrupt the slower swing and cause a huge BP drain (roughly 1/3rd yellow vs yellow). In those builds if two people 4 hit combo each other it spelled certain death for whoever had the worse timing, now they all just connect and cancel out as parries - it seems much more forgiving to be interrupted mid swing? That's one of the last things I'd like to see reintroduced as it made swing timing extremely crucial in those builds. It's still important now but seeing the parry window be so large and no one getting punished mid swing still makes me twitch.
Oh right i see. All of this is connected in fact, due to how hits were detected pre-v1.1. Indeed the state the saber was in mattered differently when it came to deciding whether a swing would hit, be interrupted, cause a parry etc. so yes an idle saber could interrupt a swing when this swing was in its windup phase, and a swing from player A which hit player B just a tiny time window before the opposing swing from player B hit player A would indeed cause BP drain (more precisely, pre-v1.1, it would cause BP drain BUT wouldn't interrupt player B so his swing would also hit player A, resulting in both getting BP drained; and pre-v0 however, it would interrupt player B with a blocking animation).

Now the reason why i removed all these possibilities in v1.1 was precisely to make the saber system much clearer, and make mechanics non-dependent upon the saber's position, but rather the state the saber is in (swinging, idle, etc.). Because it is my opinion that when they were dependent on the saber's position, win or loss of an engagement was dependent on something that was just far too precise and unrealistic to be able to humanly control (the actual position of the saber in-game, depending on player animations). And look today, just introducing nudge which, even though it requires a large deal of timing learning, only relies on sabers colliding with other sabers or bodies once every 500ms at the fastest, and leaves a large window to perform actions from it, still severely confuses new players who've been accustomed to a system which was even visually clearer and easier to understand than 1.4 (so much to the point of being totally dumbed down).

Of course, i can only agree that the old saber systems taking into account the saber's very position had the effect of making the gameplay feel incredibly crisp and precise, giving the impression of an extremely accurate degree of control over your weapon in the 3D space of the game. And it was indeed a very good feeling. The only reason why i removed all that was because it gave birth to inevitable randomness in the gameplay, because it would just be impossible to control perfectly all the time; it would often give you good/bad results which you had never asked for. Yes, impossible to control because camera movement, player animations, these cause the saber's position to change incredibly fast for human standards, much faster than what a real sword fight would be; and, controlling all the interruptions would require almost impossible in-game precision of your saber's position, even without considering all the animations but just the idle stance. I've already said this many times during the v1.1 release feedback, but this is also the reason why i've changed PB to be camera/player position-dependent instead of saber position-dependent.

Well, you know all that, i'm just clarifying what we are talking about exactly, and also for everyone else.

So to answer you, yes, i would be excited to have this crisp feeling back too, but i wouldn't be excited to have all the randomness back, even if it ends up being better than before due to many other changes/improvements. Right now v1.4, i think can be said to be the best compromise yet between complexity of the system and clarity of the system; because after all, the system is still 100% perfectly clear and can be controlled perfectly when you observe, understand and control at all times which state the saber is in (even if that state changes pretty fast sometimes with faster styles). In comparison, trying to observe and control the saber's very position is infinitely harder. If there was some way to bring that back partially, only in situations where for example the saber is idle, there you can reasonably control its position, then yes i'm 100% for that - well, that's what v1.4 did by bringing back nudge, after all nudge only occurs when 2 idle sabers collide with each other or 1 saber with a body.

I mean i could and i should try bringing those saber position-dependent mechanics back in a beta test, it might feel even better than it did before now with all the other changes, and the randomness might have less impact than before. But well there would undoubtedly still be quite alot of randomness (even if you may not view this as randomness yourself, and you are right it isn't, it's unability to control due to overwhelming complexity and speed, the result being similar to actual randomness in a human's eyes).

EDIT: now, there is randomness even in gunning in MB2 (i mean in its very mechanics of course, not the randomness brought by players themselves, that's not what i'm talking about here with the saber system either), for example the random spray angle when firing while running with most guns, the random timing for ARC rocket launcher (and maybe also mando rocket, i don't actually remember), and some more i'm sure. So why wouldn't a little bit of randomness in the mechanics of the saber system be bad, if it meant giving this wonderful crisp feeling ?

Well, difficult question. I don't know. But if we did add it, then what would be the reason for stopping there ? Like --Kas-- said in this thread, why shouldn't an idle saber cause HP damage when running into someone ? Why shouldn't you be forced to deflect gunfire by manually positioning your saber with your camera ? There would be many ways to mimic realistic gameplay to the extreme while still using JKA's restrictions on game control. Why not do it ?

The real solution is to find a compromise.

Last edited:
Experience does not make one correct. In the short time I've played, I've surpassed most of these 'experienced duelists'. I may not be a good gunner, but I can see where a 20 percent damage nerf to every weapon across the board can provide serious problems for some, over others.

So just pick Wookiee, or work with a team. Tis what everyone else does against me, I don't know why you should be an exception. I was constantly told that MB2 is about teamwork, not individual skill, so go work with your team. Or you could, you know, accuse all of GAR of hacking and then mute people that tell you otherwise.

No facts eh? For a whole 90 percent? Got any evidence for this, captain hominem?

Can we duel sometime Achilles ? I just think it's fun to duel good opponents and I don't think I've had the pleasure of duelling you yet. Btw this is simply for fun, not intended to be an ego contest in anyway :)

As I admit my bias constantly, there was something in 1.3 I liked about sabering was that how wildly different everything was in the color styles.
When I sit in spec because death, and watch people larp. Everyone had somewhat unique speed and swing animations that I had to spec them to learn what they are using.

However the perks of the color styles is what made it a big issue, perhaps maybe the perks of those styles were far too strong and radical.
I am not sure if everyone really played with and tweaked them to not make them so extreme.

Maybe something can be done with saber styles that still has something that makes everything wildly unique without changing the foundation of how sabers work. I think you were close to how Red works, where you tank damage and do more damage, but how it was implemented is what made it the issue.

I am going to spit ball an idea here, what about Arch types?
Put a name to the color style?

Grab people from the movies who used these saber styles and design buffs around that character in the movie. For instance, Vader is red. Hes a slow moving guy that hits like a truck.
Red style gets a moving speed decrease, sith gets level 1 force choke for free.
Red style Jedi get level 1 pull for free.

Something similar like that, its beyond the doubt flawed but im sure somebody can expand upon what im saying here and make it better. Like physical buffs isent the route to go, but maybe giving some le-way points wise like a free level 1 ability in something. I am sure somebody here would love a free level 1 force jump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.