Official 1.4 Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Please post feedback in this thread.

Offtopic will be rewarded with warning points or temp bans.

You can copy/paste your ideas, feedback, criticism from other threads since because of high amount of pointless posts, these threads have been closed.

Before posting please make sure you read
Feedback & Gameplay Posting Guidelines

Report bugs here: Bug Tracker

Last edited:

Preston

Nerd
I feel that dueling is pretty good in actual duel mode. But in open its just bad, it takes far too long to kill another saberist in open mode, and with flinch combined with the new dueling, it makes it impossible to kill a saberist when theres also a gunner by his side. I'd suggest making bp drain increase a decent amount. Or just get rid of pblock stopping combos, or making combos do more than .05x bp drain.

But isn't it the point that you shouldn't duel when there are gunners around? I pretty much like to just pb and interrupt combos rather then going for the kill when there are gunners behind.

I feel that dueling is pretty good in actual duel mode. But in open its just bad, it takes far too long to kill another saberist in open mode, and with flinch combined with the new dueling, it makes it impossible to kill a saberist when theres also a gunner by his side. I'd suggest making bp drain increase a decent amount. Or just get rid of pblock stopping combos, or making combos do more than .05x bp drain.

Actually, I feel that saber combat in open mode is much betten than it was in 1.3. You can use pblocks to keep aggressive saberist away from your team. What's more, now you don't have to attack him that much if your defence is good, so you are not as vulnerable to enemy's snipers as before. You can actually be a support. No more stupid jedi/sith who could only spam gunner/other saber user to death. Now they die quickly and are surprised. They usually blame the new system. The fact is, 1.4 is killing bad jedi/sith in open mode. In my opinion it is very, very good.

When it comes to the 1vs1 in open mode, I also didn't have much problems. Either I killed the opponent quickly or died quickly. Open mode is not dueling server. There isn't always time for building much acm or using so called "shadowswing" or other dueling techniques. Counters, nudged/non nudged combos and mblock seem to work best. When you face gunner and a saberist alone, the gunner should go down first or you are dead.

Anyway, I really didn't like 1.4 saber system but I decided to give it more time, and I was playing and playing and playing... and surprisingly I started to like nudge and new pblocks. I noticed that these features give you much more freedom in creating jedi/sith builds in open mode. They also allow to use each saber style in various ways when you duel. I still need to test a few things though :)

Actually, I feel that saber combat in open mode is much betten than it was in 1.3. You can use pblocks to keep aggressive saberist away from your team. What's more, now you don't have to attack him that much if your defence is good, so you are not as vulnerable to enemy's snipers as before. You can actually be a support. No more stupid jedi/sith who could only spam gunner/other saber user to death. Now they die quickly and are surprised. They usually blame the new system. The fact is, 1.4 is killing bad jedi/sith in open mode. In my opinion it is very, very good.

When it comes to the 1vs1 in open mode, I also didn't have much problems. Either I killed the opponent quickly or died quickly. Open mode is not dueling server. There isn't always time for building much acm or using so called "shadowswing" or other dueling techniques. Counters, nudged/non nudged combos and mblock seem to work best. When you face gunner and a saberist alone, the gunner should go down first or you are dead.

Anyway, I really didn't like 1.4 saber system but I decided to give it more time, and I was playing and playing and playing... and surprisingly I started to like nudge and new pblocks. I noticed that these features give you much more freedom in creating jedi/sith builds in open mode. They also allow to use each saber style in various ways when you duel. I still need to test a few things though :)

I agree in that you can actually make for support as it was intended in 1.4 now with much more ease than before, when I play jedi/sith I ussually went for support, the idea was to either be a wall which would not let the enemy pass or a shield which would bounce the shots back at the enemy.

Starushka

PB centered saber system and Open Mode
The system is heavily dependant on learning and using Perfect Block (PB) mechanic. We can argue how it's good or bad for actual dueling, but it definitely negatively affect the pace of open mode, making it much slower. Riposte (main damage dealer) and Disarm (the tool to deal with most aggressive and most careless) both tied to PB, as well as the fact that PB now ends the combo sequence, which is also additional negative factor for the pace of open mode. Too many things attached to PB right now. A crucial mechanic, indeed, but that doesn't mean it should be placed in center, above everything else.
Previous changes in saber system (such as ACM revamp) making the situation worse (in Open Mode).

Defence provides everything you need. PB is not only a most defensive tool (stoping combo sequence) but it also a most offensive (riposte), of course there are the ways to bypass even strongest defence, but it requires time that usually you don't have in Open Mode. I don't mind 5 minutes duels on duel server, but when you can't kill relatively fast a turtling opponent in the middle of gunfight, this kinda limits the options we have and the gameplay becomes much slower.

All of this coming from a yellow style user perspective, so keep it in mind. When we touch game balance we have to find a middleground from which we could fix the problems we have. Yellow style as most balanced stance in terms of values (swing speed, damage etc) in my eyes is the foundation we must build on.

Disarm
1) Removal of BP drains was a mistake, you couldn't afford spamming it back in the days. Now you can, nothing stops you. No risk, only reward. BP drains should be reintroduced.
2) Must be disconected from PB. Already said, too many things tied to PB.
"Before, you could be a noob at Perfect Blocking, but in the same time a master of disarm" - Adi 2016 -

Deflect
Manual deflect mechanic, in concept on paper it's great, but on practice... not so. Spam M1 as fast as you can. I say we roll back or find another mechanic, but current is no better than passive deflect.
Or atleast separate bindings. For example, USE + M2 for Deflect and keep M1 + M2 for Disarm.

ACM
I like what we did with ACM system when i on duel server, but when i go on open server i wish we had old values back. In open mode odds are rarely even, you find yourself outnumbered often. Skirmish all over the place, you need to gain advantage quickly in tough situations or you will lose. I suggest we return to old form of AP or close to it.

Yellow style perk

I prefer yellow vs yellow duels, and when you're not able to acumulate ACM, it's kinda limit your options. Atleast it should not drain a whole 1 ACC. 0.5 is more reasonable value.

Riposte
A successful Riposte must not give you any ACC. Giving ACM defending side is fundamentally wrong. Riposte still deals a ton of damage.

Thank you.

Preston

Nerd
The system is heavily dependant on learning and using Perfect Block (PB) mechanic. We can argue how it's good or bad for actual dueling, but it definitely negatively affect the pace of open mode, making it much slower. Riposte (main damage dealer) and Disarm (the tool to deal with most aggressive and most careless) both tied to PB, as well as the fact that PB now ends the combo sequence, which is also additional negative factor for the pace of open mode. Too many things attached to PB right now. A crucial mechanic, indeed, but that doesn't mean it should be placed in center, above everything else.
Previous changes in saber system (such as ACM revamp) making the situation worse (in Open Mode).

Defence provides everything you need. PB is not only a most defensive tool (stoping combo sequence) but it also a most offensive (riposte), of course there are the ways to bypass even strongest defence, but it requires time that usually you don't have in Open Mode. I don't mind 5 minutes duels on duel server, but when you can't kill relatively fast a turtling opponent in the middle of gunfight, this kinda limits the options we have and the gameplay becomes much slower.

All of this coming from a yellow style user perspective, so keep it in mind. When we touch game balance we have to find a middleground from which we could fix the problems we have. Yellow style as most balanced stance in terms of values (swing speed, damage etc) in my eyes is the foundation we must build on.

Disarm
1) Removal of BP drains was a mistake, you couldn't afford spamming it back in the days. Now you can, nothing stops you. No risk, only reward. BP drains should be reintroduced.
"Before, you could be a noob at Perfect Blocking, but in the same time a master of disarm" - Adi 2016 -

Deflect
Manual deflect mechanic, in concept on paper it's great, but on practice... not so. Spam M1 as fast as you can. I say we roll back or find another mechanic, but current is no better than passive deflect.
Or atleast separate bindings. For example, USE + M2 for Deflect and keep M1 + M2 for Disarm.

ACM
I like what we did with ACM system when i on duel server, but when i go on open server i wish we had old values back. In open mode odds are rarely even, you find yourself outnumbered often. Skirmish all over the place, you need to gain advantage quickly in tough situations or you will lose. I suggest we return to old form of AP or close to it.

Yellow style perk

I prefer yellow vs yellow duels, and when you're not able to acumulate ACM, it's kinda limit your options. Atleast it should not drain a whole 1 ACC. 0.5 is more reasonable value.

Riposte
A successful Riposte must not give you any ACC. Giving ACM defending side is fundamentally wrong. Riposte still deals a ton of damage.

Thank you.
^ Yup. Duel mode is mostly fine, but open mode is horrible for dueling. As in it's just hurting yourself to be a jedi or sith in open.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Disarm

Deflect
Here's a solution that wouldn't even require changing any keys:
1. Return BP drain on mblock to prevent spam.
2. Deflect requires holding mblock rather than spamming it.
3. BP drain happens only when mblock is initially pressed, FP drain is continuous while mblock is held.

I'm pretty sure no one reliably has good enough reflexes to accurately time deflects at close/medium range, which results in deflect only being useful when mblock is spammed. If mblock had to be held to deflect and had constant FP drain, then it would achieve the same thing and returning BP drains to it wouldn't interfere with dueling.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team

Disarm

Deflect

ACM

Yellow style perk

Riposte

Thank you.

Disarm: This could be a good idea, but I don't think it has a major influence on the system. The Mblock has a cooldown so you can't spam it for an easy disarm. What you suggest makes Mblocks easier to perform, but slightly ups the risk by adding a Bp drain. I think that if anything is to be done to mblock, we should add a small cost but otherwise keep it unchanged. Say Mblock now costs 6 BP for fast styles, 4 for medium styles and 2 for heavy styles, but everything else is the same. I wouldn't mind that, but this change isn't very impactful. There are many other things to look at first I think.

Deflect: I don't like manual deflect much. Prefer to just revert to passive deflect.

ACM: Learn to play issue I think. You can defeat multiple lesser skilled lightsaber users if you play well. In any case, Jedi/sith in open mode are not meant to be rape-machines destroying everything. They are support, and skillful dispatchers of enemy gunners. You shouldn't be trying to kill enemy sith with direct BP drain methods in DOTF main corridor for example. You should PB and try mblocks/deflects, stall for time, allow your gunners to shoot the sith... get force focus and bait movement then push so hero can snipe sith etc. Open mode isn't where u go to rape sith like a sabering hero because you mastered combos and slap timings. The saber system is meticulous and designed so that you need to expend effort to overpower your opponent.
It can be done though. In a 1v1 vs a lesser skilled opponent I can often kill him in less than 12 seconds. It's all about gaining ACM and not losing it.

Yellow style perk: I don't think there's an issue with its power. in Blue vs Yellow, it desperately needs the perk or it will get raped. Same applies to red/purple etc. Yellow swings are the easiest to PB on average (because red will be nudged more), so yellow will have a hard time unless it has this perk or something similar. I think things are well balanced with regards to yellow perk right now. But then again, I would, since it was one of my suggestions and yellow is one of my favorite stances. (Why? It's animations are clean, flow nicely, I like the pace etc).

All the yellow perk does is force you to play better. If you use only raw attacks then get PB'd and countered then you deserve to lose you know. yellow PB perk can be bypassed with nudge attacks and feints, fake attacks, double attacks, jump attacks etc. It's a L2P issue. I think the perk is good for another reason too. It enforces good habits, because getting PB'd is never good, but getting PB'd by yellow will give you a limp penis so you better avoid it using the aforementioned methods.

Riposte: Its damage isn't significant unless you already have some ACM. This would weaken it to a point where it becomes trivial again. We want to make this skillful maneuver count. It shouldn't feel useless when you perform it. It should give you a good reward. If you want to remove the ACM gain of PB+counter swings then you need to up the damage alot more. Than presents other problems because of ACM scaling fucking it up further etc. Better to just give you an advantage in ACM.

Besides, I haven't been countered much at all in 1.4. Mostly I am the one doing the countering. You can avoid it too. It seems to be quite well balanced because you can hit it vs lesser skilled opponents and hasten their demise, but in a high level duel they happen less, but when they do happen they weigh in considerably. I think it's perfectly well balanced.

Deflect: I don't like manual deflect much. Prefer to just revert to passive deflect.

I also feel like Deflect should go back to way it was before. I understand the want to make jedi/sith require more "skill," but this seemed like an unnecessary change considering if you don't aim at the right spot, you aren't going to hit the enemy anyway. If the enemy is going to stand still and shoot you, they deserve to get hit. Making it passive also made it useful against other sith/jedi who were constantly attacking you. You could use enemy fire to deflect hit flailing saberist.

Sylar

Donator
Deflect

This, I always wanted to say... Thought it was just me.

I agree with rolling back to passive deflect.

Starushka

@SeV, i am not that bad as a player :). Such lecture :rolleyes:

You can defeat multiple lesser skilled lightsaber users if you play well.
Never said you can't. It requires much more time, compared to older builds. I don't know how much time you spent in previous versions in open mode, for me it's clearly that the pace of open mode quite a bit shifted in recent release.

BP drains should be brough back in its full glory. I think it was 12 or close to it. 1 second cooldown is nothing and it's not even a punishment. Yet, on successful disarm you have a free kill.

I have a feeling you're not quite understand the difference between open mode and duel mode.

Stassin

Donator

Disarm

Deflect

ACM

Yellow style perk

Riposte

Thank you.
I don't have much of an answer for the deflect/disarm criticism right now, but i should say that imo, given how difficult disarm is to pull off, having no BP drain is perfect. It might look like there is no risk, but trying to disarm effectively requires additional concentration which you could put somewhere else (thus slowing down your reactions and your rhythm etc.), and this alone is enough of a risk. As for a way of disarming separate from PBing, i dunno; staff already has that. Deflect: i dunno. It seems obvious to me that manual deflect is in every way better than passive, minus the inconvenience of having to spam M1. But i suppose that can be a major inconvenience ? On the other hand, is deflect too weak or too strong or fine at the moment ? Seems mostly fine to me in terms of balance, but it may not be useful in ways that it intuitively should, or not often enough i suppose (because requiring the jedi/sith to aim should be encouraged more imo to make the class harder). In any case, the idea of bringing BP drain for MBlocks + passive deflect (with constant FP drain) by holding M1 + M2 wouldn't work, because then in order to optimize your FP drains you'd have to press and release M1, which would drain your BP alot.

As for turtling/ACM/Riposte aka PB+Counter: the only styles that are supposed to be able to quickly power through an enemy saberist via raw BP damage, without relying on ACM, are red and purple. Blue/Cyan really aren't at all, and obviously the medium styles are a compromise. If you think of balance, given what faster styles are capable of due to their manoeuverability, this is only fair. I really want to see more usage of red's stagger perk for open mode teamwork as a way to allow a saberist opponent to be shot/sniped, because that's basically half of what this perk is meant for.

More generally for all styles, it is actually not hard at all to bypass PB and turtling. You just need to use the system to perform the fastest swings possible, be close to the opponent and be unpredictable (diagonal swings), and suddenly you will rarely be PBed. An opponent who is turtling without attacking back much can easily be killed quickly, with yellow and even with blue, through ACM gain (because ACM can be gained VERY fast, in a matter of a few seconds you can reach lethal ACM). The most important thing to achieve that is to remember to use single swings, not combos. Combos are good when the opponent tries to counter or in more complex dueling gameplay, but they slowdown your ACM gain, so against an opponent who is mostly turtling single swings will be the best to kill him quickly. This fact actually makes killing a saberist around enemy gunners easier than before due to ACM gain changes (gained faster than before) and overall BP drain increase, because all you need to do is single swings which you can easily swingblock for minimum risk against enemy fire. And single swings can be chained quite fast.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
In any case, the idea of bringing BP drain for MBlocks + passive deflect (with constant FP drain) by holding M1 + M2 wouldn't work, because then in order to optimize your FP drains you'd have to press and release M1, which would drain your BP alot.
If the passive drains had a slow tick rate (e.g. instead of 1fp every 250ms have it do 4fp every 1000ms), then there would be no point in pressing and releasing to optimize drains even against slow firing guns. Spamming M1 would just drain both your BP and FP absurdly fast assuming the first FP drain tick happens as soon as you press M1.

I wouldn't really mind simply bringing back passive deflect either though. The timing aspect of how deflect currently works has no point since everyone just spams it to get near constant deflects. The only skill involved is aiming the deflected shots.
What if passive deflect worked similar to force block:
Level 1: Deflects shots accurately above 90FP.
Level 2: Deflects shots accurately above 70FP.
Level 3: Deflects shots accurately above 50FP.
Shots would always be deflected completely accurately above those thresholds (unlike old passive deflect which was distance based and pretty useless at close range).

Last edited:

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Starushka is a man after my heart.

And Sev's usual reply, for everything "Learn to play, nub", because he's such a considerate and not-egotistical person.

Atleast Stassin can provide some counter-arguments, but I honestly feel like whoever was the primary person implementing 1.4 was pretty much just pressured into changes by a few beta testers that think their way is the best way.

Also, StarWarsGeek, I don't like the idea of taking more control away from a Jedi/Sith. If anything, just give consequences to missing a deflect, but make it more worthwhile to actually deflect.

At the moment, deflect is just something you spam, but it gives you that feeling of 'Fuck yeah' when you time a projectile rifle deflect to kill that pesky hero dash monkey. Making that just a passive would make fighting gunners even more boring... like fighting saberists is now. Put more skill into it, sure. Make it harder to do something like that.

My suggestion in my big thread of change ideas, was to make it so that Saber Deflect:
Level 1: Can only deflect shots by mblocking them in a small cone. Missing mblock deflections will cause you to be hit, and you lose force by spamming it. Mblocking is relatively accurate

Level 2: Can passively deflect shots at a large FP cost when running, but can passively deflect much better while blocking for far less FP. Cannot block sniper shots. Deflection cone is very small (40% of what it is now). Missing an Mblock will cause you to get hit. Mblocking is accurate

Level 3: Can passively deflect shots at moderate FP cost while running, passively deflect far better while blocking. Block sniper shots for large FP cost. Deflection Cone is moderate (80% of what it is currently). Missing an Mblock will cause you to lose double FP damage, but you won't get hit. Mblocking is always accurate.

However, if you were to do the above, you'd have to drastically nerf a few of the more ridiculous weapons, like Clone Rifle, P3, and Caster.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this feedback seems a bit amateurish/lacking content/poor, I just got back home for the summer from my college and have experienced 1.4 for the first time in these past several days. Though it'll really only be scratching the surface in terms of what I address, I'd like to give feedback on some different aspects within this new update. So, here we go:

AS REGARDS GUNNERS

Changes that were made

There did not seem to be a whole lot of changes made in this regard, but those changes that were made seem to be good. I think that slap damage for an SBD being reduced is pretty good. The wookiee change seems fine, I never really saw too much of a problem with it. The Mandalorian class change seems somewhat strange. I like that the wrist blaster was changed to not have a delay anymore, this is excellent. It'll help a lot with the ease of aiming the wrist blaster. However, making the ammo capacity 3 instead of 5 and the reducing the recharge rate seems to be too much of a nerf, especially on an aspect of the Mando class that did not seem to be problematic in terms of balance. Most Mandos simply use the flamethrower anyway. Also, with the fact that the wrist blaster explodes upon depletion of ammo, further limiting it with the changes made seems to be drastically limiting the wrist blaster to an ill degree.

Ideas for possible changes in the future

The Mandalorian class's problem wasn't the wrist blaster really, but rather I think the major problem Mando class has is its ridiculously slow get-up time after getting knocked over by anything. The Mando class is the only non-multiple-life, non-tank class that has the get-up speed of a soldier. Allow me to explain why this is a problem. The Mandalorian class is supposed to represent a very powerful warrior, one who has excellence in ranged combat, close-quarters combat, and martial arts. The way the Mando class is configured suggests otherwise though. Now, this doesn't mean much as it is just geeking out really, but I thought it would be worth mentioning just to present that idea. Now, I say this because if a mando is ever pushed by a jedi, and he gets knocked down, it is pretty much certain death for him, as it is for a soldier. Now, unlike the soldier, this is a problem for the mando class. Mandos can only ever have one life, they do not have the option of multiple lives. For them to be as easy to take out as a soldier if confronted by a jedi, therefore, is ridiculous, as the Mando should be able to hold his own in any situation, not overpowered, but also not easily overwhelmed in the blink of an eye. For this reason, I submit that giving the Mando the getup speed of his equivalent, the ARC Trooper, or the same getup as a hero/bountyhunter (the sideways roll) would be a viable option for giving the mando a better chance of matching up to the jedi. This is an issue that has been voiced by many others too, as I have observed over my time of playing MB2. Also, as a side note, I'd suggest restoring the ammo capacity of the wrist blaster, keeping the recharge rate as it currently is, and getting rid of the self-destruct mechanism when it runs out of ammo. As it stands now, it is already harder to use anyway.

I feel that as far as armament goes, the hero class is lacking severely compared to its imperial counterpart, the bounty hunter class. The only sniper rifle hero has is the Projectile rifle, and on that note, as far as the entirety of the Rebels go, the whole faction really only has one sniper rifle. The Westar M5 for the ARC Trooper class in "sniper" mode really just seems to be more of a ranged semi-automatic rifle with a scope than an actual sniper, even the EE-3 Carbine's sniper mode is more of a sniper rifle than that. As far as sniper rifles go, it just seems that the rebel team is severely lacking. I got an idea the other day that could be really cool as regards this aspect: The DC-17m with the Sniper attachment from Star Wars: Republic Commando. This could be made to basically be the same weapon as the Tenloss DX-R 6 Disruptor Rifle (hope I cited that properly), but have a blue beam instead of an orange beam and to have the DC-17m sniper attachment model. This could be applied either to the hero class, as that is the sniper class, or could be added to the ARC Trooper class, as it would be fitting to the elite clones, particularly for the Commando models. I just thought that it would be awesome to have multiple viable options for sniping on the Rebels as there are for the Imperials.

This one is more of just a matter of opinion on visual beauty, for lack of a better term, than balancing per se, but I've always thought the push-back that the Commander class has when shooting the primary of the T-21 was rather ridiculous. One would think that a soldier would have the necessary training and condition to professionally and efficiently use a weapon of that caliber, otherwise he would not use that weapon. Not really an important point or balance issue, just something about which I thought.

This might be a cool idea, but could produce balancing issues. What if the SBD were given a mini-wrist rocket that did minimal focused damage? Not as powerful as the normal rockets, but one that just does some damage upon impact, but not able to instantaneously kill someone at full health. Perhaps if it did like, 50 minimal to 75 maximum when a direct hit, and then to have a very small radius that has a maximum of 30 damage when an indirect hit? I got this idea basically from the old battlefront games and the Republic Commando game where the SBD's had wrist rockets. Could be cool. Of course, the rocket would be able to knockback someone in a direct hit, but not in an indirect hit. Also, since it doesn't do much damage, maybe it could be faster than a normal rocket, or not able to be pushed back? Firing the rocket could also have a hefty cost on the SBD's energy reserve. Just an idea to pitch.

Feel like I've spent long enough on this section, onto the next!

GUNNERS VS. JEDI/SITH

While reading all that I say in this section, keep in mind that I am saying this as primarily a gunner, so even though a lot of what I say may seem to reflect a defense of the jedi/sith, it is from the standpoint of a gunner.

Changes that were made

Flinch. In my completely honest opinion, this is the worst thing I've seen about this update. I do not like flinch at all, both as a gunner and as a saberist. I believe it's not an answer to balancing the gunner/saberist relationship, but rather causes more trouble than it solves. Gunners do need some balanced relation with the jedi/sith classes, but not a crutch to walk on. Flinch makes it way too easy for a spray-and-pray gunner to kill an approaching jedi and does not foster any skill development whatsoever with the gunner class. It is also inconsistent and unreliable, as the distance for when it activates seems difficult to locate with precision. And from the perspective of the jedi/sith, I can't think of anything that would be more irritating than something that basically hands the gunner a kill. Not only does it disrupt attacks or deflections for a short time, but it also pushes the saberist back, giving him ground to make back up. It's not the answer to balancing gunner and saberist. In the ideas proposed section, I will offer a possibly better solution.

If the point of this part of the update was to make it so that gunners were not so easily overwhelmed vs. jedi/sith, why make it easier to a) tank some shots with the 20% damage reduction, and b) increase the saber deflection arc? Seems counter-intuitive from my standpoint, but perhaps they are internally working with other changes that validate these.

Make melee against jedi/sith have a stronger effect than normal, or have more of a chance of a successful hit that will knock the jedi/sith off balance in any way, as far as kicking and the uppercut go. This would promote more skill in gunners, demanding that they must learn how to fight in close quarters in order to survive against a saber. Ways to go about this would be to increase the area of effect for kicks, reduce the recharge time for used special moves, increase the physical damage done to jedi/sith by melee by some factor, configure melee so that all kicks knock jedi/sith down when they are standing, and the uppercut and kicks simply knock a jedi/sith off-balance when they are crouching, in other words throws them off in the same manner that the uppercut breaks through the melee block with the forearms initiated by the reload key when in melee. Then, if possible, give the gunners a quick-draw ability or reduced weapon draw time so that they could switch between melee and guns swiftly. I think this would be adequate to fix the balance between the two types of classes, and then gunners would simply need to learn how to properly melee. This might be a problem if the boosts transfer over to the wookiee, in which case you could simply reduce the stats of the wookiee enough to counteract the effect, or somehow restrict the bonus from carrying over to the wookiee.

Vibroblade perhaps? Maybe one gunner class from each faction could have the option to take on something like a Vibroblade, but would be limited to only two saber styles (perhaps yellow and cyan, or yellow and blue, or yellow and red), and restrict from those classes the ability to deflect blaster bolts? It's a hard thing to achieve I imagine, but again, just an idea to pitch that might be cool if able to be done effectively.

LIGHTSABER VS. LIGHTSABER COMBAT

Forgive me as I talk about this section, for I don't really have any positive criticism on this section, only negative criticism. I don't want to sound like I'm just talking a whole bunch of garbage about this mod, but with all that I have to say, it may very well seem like that. If it does, I apologize. Without further delay...

Changes that were made

In general, the saber system, as it seems to me, is completely messed up, things just don't seem to fit right. While I will say that perhaps things/moves are not as random as they were in 1.3, I still think that 1.4's saber system is far inferior to 1.3's. Even though it is more consistent, the thing in which it is consistent in is favoring one specific style way too much, the yellow style. The yellow style seems to be the only viable option if one wants to actually do well in duels and survive for a while, all other styles, except for perhaps duals, staff, and purple style in some special cases, have just taken a beating in effectiveness. While I agree that red needed to be nerfed a very little bit, I disagree that it needed as huge of a nerfing as it got. The thing about red is that it was a high risk/high reward kind of style, one would need to sacrifice a lot of BP just to do attacks and combos with it, however, if hits were successful, one could absolutely demolish the BP meter in his opponent. It was a good compromise, it only seemed overpowered because if done successfully, it was very quick in getting results. But that's because that's the nature of that style, is to finish the fight quickly by means of overwhelming strength. It's not meant to keep up in a long, drawn-out duel. If one uses red and the duel takes too long, or he gets hit/pblocked too many times, then his BP meter takes an absolute beating, and he's soon in a sticky situation. Once one gets into that situation, unless he is REALLY proficient with red, then he is pretty much dead at that point. Purple definitely should not be nerfed less than red, red should not be as nerfed as it was. Purple was more OP than red in 1.3 because it sustained its BP better, but had a similar proficiency in combos, and even had a pretty impressive likelihood of Pblocks. Purple needed to be nerfed way more than red. Red should not have been so nerfed because now the nature of its style is high risk / little to no reward. Red still has a proclivity to losing BP quickly based on use, but the amount of BP it drains from the opponent now has been reduced and red's ability to do effective combos has also been reduced. None of the combos that I practiced or made or learned in 1.3 work now in 1.4, and any combos that do simply don't do any damage. Red uses to much energy in order to do a sub-par job against an opponent. It's completely weak and absolutely useless now. Even those who are not as experienced in saber combat are able to easily counter red simply because it drains so much to do so little. It went from being slightly OP to being completely underpowered. Cyan/blue have also taken a negative turn, though not as drastic. They risk little BP usage in order to do multiple mini-series's of attacks that do little, but constant damage. However, when they block against attacks, they both seem to now lose much more BP than ever before. Because of their nature, this causes an alarming loss of BP with no ability to effectively counter that BP loss, as it will lose the BP faster than it can sustain it. In turn, all the changes that were made in 1.4 with the saber system seem to basically rule yellow as the supreme head over all the saber styles, with duals and staff right behind it simply because they are so belligerent in nature, whacking the crap out of any opponent with multiple hits. Nudge also doesn't seem to work too well. It is really buggy and in saber duels, it becomes a real hassle that messes up all sorts of combos. It just doesn't seem like a very good feature.

I honestly think the saber system in 1.3, though at times sporadic, made much more sense than the system in 1.4 overall. Each of style had its strong suit and its weakness, either which can be utilized or vulnerable to any other style used in a particular way. No one style was simply dominant over all simply because it was that style. It made for a gameplay much more fun and exciting, as you didn't know what to expect. But now, with 1.4, everything seems to be very one-sided, and somewhat dull, as has been my experience. I would suggest restoring the saber system from 1.3, but to keep all the other changes in 1.4, and then of course to consider the changes/criticisms listed above in earlier sections.

Thank you for taking the time to read this feedback. If at any point during my feedback I seemed rude, crude, overstepping bounds, disrespectful, amateurish, or simply not providing a good set of arguments/proof, I do apologize. It is not my intent to say anything disparaging about the mod itself or its developers. This is an excellent mod with a lot of work put into it. My only goal in writing this feedback is to perhaps give another perspective on things which can be used to perhaps further improve the mod in a later update.

Last edited:

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Tasmann, let me tell you what a wise Sev once told everyone who thought negatively about 1.4:

Sev: Learn to play.

Wisdom from the greatest saberist to have ever lived anywhere forever. GG.

On a side note, a very well worded and thought out argument, what a shame it will fall upon deaf ears.... err... blind eyes.

I love this patch's dueling system. I loved the last one too, and to be honest I don't feel any worse about this one than the one previous. In some ways it is better, but it still needs some work. I did find that saber fighting in open mode took a long time, but I'm not sure how to fix that given the current system. I really have but one major complaint about this system, and it was important enough for me to write a big post on it. You know what it is.

Yellow's PB Perk: This might be balanced when fighting newbie to newbie, but in the hands of a skilled player who can pblock exceptionally well, this perk stops duels dead. You can, of course, beat it with skillful nudging, mouse manipulation, feints, and combos, and indeed purple is much better at beating it than blue or cyan. However, this perk is ultimately boring. It drags fights on forever and rewards defensive and purely reactive playstyles. This perk has become both a crutch and the focal point for yellow's dueling style. This isn't good.

The first issue is that it encourages yellow to play defensive, which is incredibly slow and boring to fight against. In previous builds, yellow could be used as either a fast and aggressive powerhouse or methodical and defensive. It was that versatility that made it so popular and effective. Players who could snap from defensive to offensive and vice versa were some of the most skilled in the game.. However, in this build, the PB perk is much easier and more powerful than being aggressive objectively, which means there is little to no reason for yellow to play aggressively at all - save for the instance of hunting someone down who's low on BP.

The second issue is that it's imbalanced in terms of effort. The amount of effort it takes for a skilled user of any other style to defeat a PBlocking yellow turtle is far greater than what the turtle needs to continue his defense. A user of cyan, blue, purple, or red could be bringing their 'A' game - getting counters, nudging for fast hits, pblocking and semi-pblocking at every chance, attacking around the enemy's pblocks, and the works. However, all it takes is one pblock for you to lose your ACM, which will usually be followed up by a riposte so you lose more. Against fast styles, which lose more ACC to heavier styles, gaining and keeping ACM is nearly impossible, yet required to win duels. What you end up having is an incredibly skilled player throwing out all the stops and kicking ass, while the other players sits back, plays it safe, and reaps the rewards of an easy mechanic. This is unfair, especially considering how PBlocking becomes easy and second nature to skilled players.

Now there is the other side of the argument, which says that this perk is needed to ensure blue and cyan don't overwhelm yellow as they did in the previous patches. This was a legitimate concern back then. Yellow had been gimped effectively. However, the previous patch did not have nudge, did not have PBlocks which stop combos, allowed blue to combo nearly endlessly, had locked combo directions, and did not make blue and cyan lose more ACM against heavier styles. Too many changes were made at once to truly grasp the effects of any change separately, let alone synergystically. What's even more is that, because of yellows PB perk, styles red and purple also have a harder time than they ought to. Purple is the best style to deal with yellow, but even then it's a slog and an uphill battle to do so. Yellow is more than equipped to fight other styles now, and doesn't need any more help.

I would suggest that either yellow's PB perk be removed and replaced with something different, or limit it's PBlock perk, as per Starushka's suggestion, to only 0.5 points reduction. Yellow's PB perk is boring to fight against and has no true counter other than being more skilled. If two players of equal or near equal skill fight, the duels go on nearly forever. The amount of effort it takes for players to gain ACM against yellow is also far less than it is for yellow to deny ACM gain, which in turn gives yellow a mechanical advantage against every style.

Last edited:
2 sick to read through last post so pew pew.

Let's play Deflex ideas! Dreams have no limits!

Deflect - Costs 20 force, temporarily deflect all shots back with 100% accuracy for X seconds. X second cooldown before you can use again.
Cannot push while deflect is active? Har har. It's cuz of ur intense focus on ur saber. :)

Or - Deflect doesn't work on passive block but on active attack! Basically you initiate deflect and swing your saber at them bolts. They're redirected to where you're pointing your crosshair at. More dynamic foh sure! Also, locks you as swinging does.
Balance is easy. What about Flinch? What about it?:)

Deflect Tweaks - only while stationary!

Meh:(

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Iscandar, they don't care, unfortunately. These problems existed in the beta, and were never addressed.

Honestly they should just go back to 1.3, and think of actual ways of improving it, rather than uprooting the entire system they had. A lot of people had fun in 1.3. But Sev has fun in 1.4, and that is the important part. Gotta get dat yellow fix.

I said it before, and I'll say it until someone finally catches on, fixing the balance issues in 1.3 would have been *really* easy.

Stassin

Donator
If the passive drains had a slow tick rate (e.g. instead of 1fp every 250ms have it do 4fp every 1000ms), then there would be no point in pressing and releasing to optimize drains even against slow firing guns. Spamming M1 would just drain both your BP and FP absurdly fast assuming the first FP drain tick happens as soon as you press M1.

I wouldn't really mind simply bringing back passive deflect either though. The timing aspect of how deflect currently works has no point since everyone just spams it to get near constant deflects. The only skill involved is aiming the deflected shots.
Well i disagree, optimizing the drains would still be very important. Even if the drains are low, they are still at least equivalent to stopping your FP regeneration, which is quite a big deal. The current method lets you optimize much better. And this optimizing is an additional skill.

What if passive deflect worked similar to force block:
Level 1: Deflects shots accurately above 90FP.
Level 2: Deflects shots accurately above 70FP.
Level 3: Deflects shots accurately above 50FP.
Shots would always be deflected completely accurately above those thresholds (unlike old passive deflect which was distance based and pretty useless at close range).
Hmm. This sounds cool in theory but thinking about it, it would be quite restrictive compared to the current method (inability to deflect shots when you want).
You know, just for the sake of not having to spam M1, the old passive deflect had a few other annoying cons (inability to prevent yourself from shooting teammates, inability to deflect at close range (otherwise far too OP), OPness vs enemy saberists (deflecting snipes...), non-accurate deflections that are basically useless at level 2)

Flinch. In my completely honest opinion, this is the worst thing I've seen about this update. I do not like flinch at all, both as a gunner and as a saberist. I believe it's not an answer to balancing the gunner/saberist relationship, but rather causes more trouble than it solves. Gunners do need some balanced relation with the jedi/sith classes, but not a crutch to walk on. Flinch makes it way too easy for a spray-and-pray gunner to kill an approaching jedi and does not foster any skill development whatsoever with the gunner class. It is also inconsistent and unreliable, as the distance for when it activates seems difficult to locate with precision. And from the perspective of the jedi/sith, I can't think of anything that would be more irritating than something that basically hands the gunner a kill. Not only does it disrupt attacks or deflections for a short time, but it also pushes the saberist back, giving him ground to make back up. It's not the answer to balancing gunner and saberist. In the ideas proposed section, I will offer a possibly better solution.

If the point of this part of the update was to make it so that gunners were not so easily overwhelmed vs. jedi/sith, why make it easier to a) tank some shots with the 20% damage reduction, and b) increase the saber deflection arc? Seems counter-intuitive from my standpoint, but perhaps they are internally working with other changes that validate these.

Make melee against jedi/sith have a stronger effect than normal, or have more of a chance of a successful hit that will knock the jedi/sith off balance in any way, as far as kicking and the uppercut go. This would promote more skill in gunners, demanding that they must learn how to fight in close quarters in order to survive against a saber. Ways to go about this would be to increase the area of effect for kicks, reduce the recharge time for used special moves, increase the physical damage done to jedi/sith by melee by some factor, configure melee so that all kicks knock jedi/sith down when they are standing, and the uppercut and kicks simply knock a jedi/sith off-balance when they are crouching, in other words throws them off in the same manner that the uppercut breaks through the melee block with the forearms initiated by the reload key when in melee. Then, if possible, give the gunners a quick-draw ability or reduced weapon draw time so that they could switch between melee and guns swiftly. I think this would be adequate to fix the balance between the two types of classes, and then gunners would simply need to learn how to properly melee. This might be a problem if the boosts transfer over to the wookiee, in which case you could simply reduce the stats of the wookiee enough to counteract the effect, or somehow restrict the bonus from carrying over to the wookiee.

Vibroblade perhaps? Maybe one gunner class from each faction could have the option to take on something like a Vibroblade, but would be limited to only two saber styles (perhaps yellow and cyan, or yellow and blue, or yellow and red), and restrict from those classes the ability to deflect blaster bolts? It's a hard thing to achieve I imagine, but again, just an idea to pitch that might be cool if able to be done effectively.
Flinch is only a quick fix addressing saberists' OPness at close range (not exactly OPness, rather huge difference in skill requirement to be successful compared to gunners), softened up by buffing saberists in other ways i.e. 20% dmg reduction and saber deflection arc increase.

Theoretically speaking, this whole problem comes from the fact that saberists are able to tank shots. If they weren't, like in the movies, then whoever gets the first hit, saberist or gunner, would win (because even if the saberist wouldn't die from a single shot to an arm or leg, he would still be crippled or damaged enough). If MBII was like that, what would be the gameplay ? Saberists would take every precaution not to get hit while still trying to swing at the gunner, thus relying heavily on swingblock and hope for an occurrence of the gunner not interrupting their swing. If you observe how good saberists play in open mode in v1.4, that is what they do; in other words, flinch is able to reproduce this behaviour while being more forgiving than the movies for the saberist.

Making melee a viable counter against saberists at close range. I feel like this idea could have good potential. That way, gunners would have an option to deal with saberists at close range that has similar skill requirement to the saberist class. This might also have the potential of being somewhat movielike too.

If it was me though, i'd try to go the other way around: give saberists an option to deal with gunners at close range that has similar skill requirement to the gunner class (requiring aim and not just timing and positioning, which is suddenly much harder); for that, the only thing i can think of would be to make use of the deflect feature, by somehow allowing deflect to be useful at close range, more useful than just rushing + swinging. Inherently though, saberists have regenerating FP while gunners have non-regenerating HP, so this would only be fair if there was a mechanic to allow the gunner to hit the saberist when he messes up his deflecting, so that the battle turns into a HP-trading battle, just like in gunner vs gunner. But... this gets less movielike, and unfortunately it gets pretty complex so unless a clear and simple enough mechanic can be found for it, i don't think it has a place in the mod.

Going back to the melee idea, if we look at how the current melee system is, i feel like in terms of interruption and putting the saberist off-balance, it is already good enough (knockdowns, staggers if the saberist is standing still). What could be improved would be as you said to increase the damage and to get rid of the delay between meleeing and shooting which currently is a death sentence to any gunner trying to melee a saberist up close. So... change from melee to gun extremely fast and/or allow melee moves while a gun is equipped and actually allow shooting while performing the melee move (unlike current BH melee moves which still have too long of a delay before you can shoot). Though a major problem might be that sabers generally have more range than melee, in which case all of this is pretty pointless since the saberist would still be able to kill the gunner while being shot (even if it's harder to do because the saberist has to be out of melee range) which is what we want to fix here. Also the timing required for the gunner to pull off melee moves would still be quite alot harder than just having to swing a saber. And increasing the range of melee wouldn't be very pretty nor movielike.

Finding something that is truly practical and clean to fix this issue of close range saber vs gun is not an easy problem at all. Flinch might be ugly but it does address it in a simple and straightforward way. That is the best compromise we have at the moment. Because, we REALLY don't want to allow saberists to be able to just rush forward and tank shots all the while slicing up gunners. It's a huge skill disparity in classes and after all, it's not very movielike. Flinch may indeed need some fine-tuning regarding gun fire rates and damages (not sure yet). But i will have to disagree, indeed it doesn't foster any skill development from the gunners but honestly speaking they don't need that, shooting is already hard enough; it's the saberists that need to require more skill to play.

EDIT: just to clarify (learn to play issue for saberists this time) flinch does not mean saberists are a free kill at all. Any saberist who has some skill will swingblock, and even if he gets flinched, holding block during the flinch means he will be able to deflect the next shots, so no problem there (i suppose we could even make it more forgiving for new players and allow deflecting shots while flinching even when not holding block as long as they aren't holding attack, but that matters little). The 20% damage reduction allows to tank single shots that flinch them much better too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.