Push 3 Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Welcome to the topic. Please excuse the name, I didn't think too hard about it but this should probably be called

Force Push Re Balance

Let me start of here by first saying I do not think Push is Overpowered and this is Not a Nerf Thread. But there is a problem I have with how it affects gameplay. The issue that I want addressed here is The Use of Push 3 as a player crutch and this is what I want to see removed.
Not sure what I mean by that? Let me explain then. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Push 3 is easy to use to knock down targets and get some nice ground kills. All the while it is also easy to stop by walking, crouching or standing still. But the real issue is that it is much easier to use Push and very forgiving in mistakes by the user.
What does this mean? Well, simply put, it means that a Pusher has to put forth less effort in an engagement as opposed to his target. And to add a little more to it, a Force User without Push level 3 has to put forth even more effort than his opponent if not the same. This is not good from a gameplay balance standpoint.
What happens from this, then? Well, most Force User class configs basically have Push 3 as a necessity rather than an option. Players become reliant on it and other great elements become unused.
But hasn't Push remained the same for many years? Yes it has, but I never noticed the problem until recently.
How did I see this issue? It actually happened to be the large influx of brand new players. Watching them progress in player ability map after map or even days. But the thing I noticed the most is that they all used Push 3.
What's wrong with them all using Push? Nothing, except for the fact that they try out other classes or force powers but fail and go back to Push 3.
Why would they go back to using Push 3 over and over? After seeing this and examining it, I saw it helped their player ability. Sure, they still weren't very good but they were substantially better than not using it.
So this is a New Player problem? No, not at all. The new players merely opened my eyes by seeing the sheer number of them doing it. I am certain everybody knows of one or a few players who exclusively play Jedi with Push 3.
How does Push help these players out so much? From what I concluded it is because Push is extremely simple and easy to use. It can even be used in a majority of situations. Not much effort has to be used to be averagely effective at the game now.

Now in my opinion this is not fair at all because all players should have to give the same amount of effort to be effective. Sure, all players are different and some are better than others or vice versa. But they all try about the same to be a positive contribution to the team. Just because someone is good or bad at playing doesn't mean they aren't trying.

So, from all this I try and figure out a way to complete this objective: Make Push Harder to Use for Bad Players but Still Retain it's Effectiveness for Good Players.

Here we go then, my idea is below. I am certainly also not saying my idea is the best one or the only option. The one directly below is an edit after reading things from this thread and mashing them together while also thinking of other gameplay elements and how they work. My very original idea, which was pointed out would actually be a nerf (which is not my plan) is at the very bottom.

Probably the most important part of the topic is that these are all suggestions, which means they are not guaranteed to be implemented and are also all subject to change. Everybody here should be striving to make the game a better experience. I implore everybody to share their suggestions, ideas, and thoughts. The key word is collaboration.

Another extremely important part of it is that we all discuss this in a constructive, mature, and polite manner. I don't want to see the thread devolve any more than it has because there are some very good ideas here. If you need an example, here are a couple.
This is how to not be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: Hah, (x) is fine you just need to do (z) better.
This is how to be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: I don't understand your issue with (x), you can just do (z), can you help me understand?​

So after thinking through after all the things people posted I came up with a new idea built upon some of it. Of course all not set in stone.

Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes. To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable. But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc. Also I think the charged up blast should push things back with greater velocity. That would make for some fun grenade tosses. Although, the charge should not be able to be held indefinite so after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of holding automatically goes off. Now, to think of our saberless Jedi friends even more can come of this but this is just expanding on the idea so it may be too much. Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff. The issue of wookiees and SBDs I don't know of but if they could fall from it, would be a very useful ally to have.
push_zpsv9hvmodm.jpg

pushinstant_zpszpfgssuz.jpg

pushhalfcharge_zpst4gdmbrw.jpg

pushfullcharge_zpsdcg88aes.jpg

This can even be applied to Pull to make it affect a group after a charge, which would give that power a bigger oompf it definitely needs!

There have been a number of ideas posted in the thread, which may need to be expanded on and complimented, such as:
  • All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
  • Changes in Force Point cost
  • Changes in Class Point cost
  • Delay before pushing
  • Charge up before use
  • Differing types of knockback areas

Below is my first original post.

Now before you all start saying "l2walk" what this stems from is just the amount of Jedi/Sith who only use Push 3 as their main offensive weapon. In my opinion it is way too effective and versatile for how cheap it costs in both class points and FP. When looking at Pull, not only does it cost more, but it is harder to use due to the direct aim required and shorter range. I have seen plenty of players who don't use Push 3, but in comparison to the majority that do they need to play a lot smarter and harder. Push is just too easy.

My proposed fix is very simple although I don't know if the engine allows it. Have push be the way it is for range and AOE, especially projectiles, except for the knockdown which needs to be on the crosshair. Of course the closer the range the more lax this would be and anyone pushed outside of the knockdown sweet spot would still get pushed back, to help get those guys on a cliff. Pull could even be reworked the same way so a large group of people could be nudged closer rather than fall down.

This would increase the skill required to use it and help reduce the class spam for people looking to get easy kills but still maintain the support role it can fill.

Here is a representation of what I mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DarkFett/push._zpsbkp88iqp.jpg

Last edited:
the risk vs reward of push is skewed towards the jedi at low skill level, and towards the gunner at high skill level

it's not as black and white as you're trying to make out

theres a reason pull is the best gunner killing force power

There's a reason they're called opinions.

Pull is great for singling out a single enemy. Push is tigger great for singling out everybody. Blindfolded.

Everything and nothing is op - depending on skill level. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:)

There's a reason they're called opinions.

Pull is great for singling out a single enemy. Push is tigger great for singling out everybody. Blindfolded.

Everything and nothing is op - depending on skill level. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:)
yeah but specific arguments are being made about push in 1v1 lol

edit: and also, its absolutely not an opinion on the skill level power balance of push.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
yeah but specific arguments are being made about push in 1v1 lol
In a 1v1 it is easier to dodge a Pull than a Push. Pull takes skill, Push takes a button. Not to mention Push is more powerful than Pull also.

Most Jedi just jump right in a gunner's face and wait for the slightest movement change and Push for an instant down easy kill. And even with the Jedi having an opening when he Pushes, it is very small when you put in reaction time and bullet travel time plus aim compensation. Then let's take in the fact that, if he doesn't Push, the Jedi can swing almost haphazardly and tank a few shots and still win because knockback from blasters was nullified unless it's a perfect headshot which almost never happens during those situations due to full auto accuracy and the frantic movement of the gunner. The advantage will always be skewed towards the Jedi even if he doesn't have Push.

Changing Push to be more directly aimed would tip the scales a little more in the even range, nothing more.

In a 1v1 it is easier to dodge a Pull than a Push. Pull takes skill, Push takes a button. Not to mention Push is more powerful than Pull also.

Most Jedi just jump right in a gunner's face and wait for the slightest movement change and Push for an instant down easy kill. And even with the Jedi having an opening when he Pushes, it is very small when you put in reaction time and bullet travel time plus aim compensation. Then let's take in the fact that, if he doesn't Push, the Jedi can swing almost haphazardly and tank a few shots and still win because knockback from blasters was nullified unless it's a perfect headshot which almost never happens during those situations due to full auto accuracy and the frantic movement of the gunner. The advantage will always be skewed towards the Jedi even if he doesn't have Push.

Changing Push to be more directly aimed would tip the scales a little more in the even range, nothing more.
if you're going to make the argument that jedi have the advantage over a gunner even without push you're not worth responding to

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
if you're going to make the argument that jedi have the advantage over a gunner even without push you're not worth responding to
The argument is they have the advantage because of Push, even if it isn't in their setup. Nobody has a way of knowing until the Jedi does it. Can I rocket him? Can I throw a grenade? Can I run at all? Sure, once you know for sure he can't then it becomes a lot easier. Until then though you're saber fodder.

The argument is they have the advantage because of Push, even if it isn't in their setup. Nobody has a way of knowing until the Jedi does it. Can I rocket him? Can I throw a grenade? Can I run at all? Sure, once you know for sure he can't then it becomes a lot easier. Until then though you're saber fodder.
what? how are you saber fodder if you don't know he has push? its the same as if he had push, so your implication then becomes "if a jedi has push you are saber fodder"

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
what? how are you saber fodder if you don't know he has push? its the same as if he had push, so your implication then becomes "if a jedi has push you are saber fodder"
Because you're walking just in case while he can close the distance and slice you in half. Unless you somehow have near perfect aim on a hopping, weaving Jedi, you're not going to win. You assume he has Push so you walk. If he does, either he swings and kills you assuming he doesn't have low enough health to die from 1 shot, or he just pushes when you try to back away out of saber range. If he doesn't have Push the first option still happens. Unless it's that lucky random headshot that knocks back. If Push were harder to aim he might not be able to pull off that point blank knockdown giving you the edge to finish him off. Otherwise, it's skewed in his favor.

Chaos is right though, we just keep saying the same thing over and over. I think it needs a change, you don't think it does. Agree to disagree.

Because you're walking just in case while he can close the distance and slice you in half. Unless you somehow have near perfect aim on a hopping, weaving Jedi, you're not going to win. You assume he has Push so you walk. If he does, either he swings and kills you assuming he doesn't have low enough health to die from 1 shot, or he just pushes when you try to back away out of saber range. If he doesn't have Push the first option still happens. Unless it's that lucky random headshot that knocks back. If Push were harder to aim he might not be able to pull off that point blank knockdown giving you the edge to finish him off. Otherwise, it's skewed in his favor.

Chaos is right though, we just keep saying the same thing over and over. I think it needs a change, you don't think it does. Agree to disagree.
right now we're talking about things that aren't simply opinions

i feel like we're playing a completely separate game where jedi don't get absolutely destroyed by gunners on a regular basis. this entire post basically says its a miracle for a gunner to beat a jedi because of push, which is certainly not the reality of mb2.

i really feel like you just simply aren't operating in good faith here, is this really the mb2 you experience? are jedi unstoppable monsters and gunners simply must hold walk whenever one is in their presence?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Yeah, there is nothing of value to discuss with you if you start contradicting yourself.

You tell me to not take it personally but you attack another person in a another thread for whats being discussed here. Then you say
OK, maybe I little overreacted there, but I still had my point and I did it in context.
It all was because of mentioning "it's ok to purge snipers", and in my next post I talked only about game features, making situation not personal but normal discussion again. Then I received a reply that explained it was some kind a joke, and I was totally fine with that answer, so I quit.

On other hand, you didn't use some personal stuff to discuss the game, no, you used this purely gameplay thread just to unfold abusing toward me. This is not the same.
Stop pretending you have a moral high-ground when you are just as bad as the other people who defended against the discussions here.
I'm not pretending I have a moral high-ground, I just trying to finish what you started.

Guys, don't you think that this ^ is the funniest joke ever? Ah? Somebody? Anybody? ok, I'll just move along... :(
Contradiction again, or you resorted to trolling.
What contradiction? What trolling? What are you talking about?
I thought you had some sense of responsibility and maturity in you. Because I always see you helping people in the support threads, but I guess I was completely wrong and you are just afraid of loosing your toys like the rest of them.
Ooooooh, now I see where it's going. You're just bullying me because from my point view of the jedi are evil balanced. I guess I would magically became much more mature if I were asking to nerf push, but I hope you understand that this is not best way to convince people in your opinion?

Also I believe you would even say my story was cool and called me bro if I wasn't so stubborn in this thread. :)

Arguing to some thing called "mature" is still faulty, it's just another way to insult your opponent or ignore his arguments.

And I think you just want those changes too badly. Please, chill, take a deep breath. It isn't worth to picking on people around you because of this.
I don't need to answer or respond to anything you said because you took the discussion into a dark place when everyone else was trying to have an actual discussion and not talk about rape jokes. If you wanted me to take you seriously, you could of left out the rape joke. But no.
Once again, what's wrong with that joke? Once again, who the heaven are you, a British Queen?

But which is much more funny, you let yourself to post a joke about a drugs into other thread. Not even about drugs, but about drugdealing!
Drugdealing is very serious problem for almost each and every country in the world, and causes a millions deaths each year and it's still illegal as hell, but you still post that joke AND still acting like a huge snob about my joke.
And then you say this is *me* who cannot behave? Come on, even the hypocrisy should have some limits!

Last but not least, joke you can't stop referring to was plenty of pages away, and since then I didn't crack any other rape jokes. I didn't make harassment jokes as well, I didn't even joke about spanking somebody's butt!
Do you know how much it takes to not joke about that? It's hard as hell, believe me.

f27122c56166.jpg

If you continue to drag whats being discussed here into other threads and blatantly attack people and cause more drama I will have to report you.
You? Report? Me? You're delusional, I'm afraid to say.
But we both can get punished for what we are doing, so enough drama.

============================

I noticed your counter argument started to turn into what we heard a thousands times already of "learn to walk." Nope thats not a counter point either and will be dismissed
But my counter argument never was "l2walk"! My counter argument is that in the end push doesn't make sith overpowered overall, so if it would be nerfed, that would make saberists underpowered, which shouldn't be allowed to happen.
One person should not be able to dictate and control what an entire room of people can or cant do.
A single jedi in the room full of opponents cannot dictate anything, he will be eliminated quickly.
But if we're talking about room full of members of both teams, then yes, he should.
Otherwise I just can't see what jedi is about to do on battlefield. What a purpose of them? Just stand still around a corner and wait till big boys complete their job? I can't fight feeling you just wanna get rid of sith/jedi...
"Here is a shitty light switch, its been broken for years. Why should we fix it now?" Is also going to be ignored as well. We are fully aware how broken push has been for years and are well aware of that which is why this thread exists.
I've seen some people in thread who actually doesn't believe push is broken.
I named this Push thread, not Force Powers thread.
Yes you did.
Push shouldn't be your only useful power.
I agree. But then you should build this thread in completely different way, you should suggest both improvements to other force powers and nerfing push, but I can see only the second thing for now.
When a gunner sees a Jedi the first thought should not be, "I better walk or else he will push me."
When a jedi sees a gunner the first thought should not be, "I better block or else he will shot me."
Anyway, the way I see it is if all other force powers remain around the same Push 3 needs some kind of change to make it less easy mode.
No. If you change push, all other force powers (and maybe bp and fp values) should be changed as well.
But, the best option would be to rebalance all powers and point costs
Yes, rebalance could work, but only if it would be a truly rebalance, NOT just a nerfing push which we're discussing for last 24 pages.
1 hit kill weapon
Closed range. Very closed range.
limited ammo
Actually I think gunners should have unlimited ammo, for basic weapon and in open mode, at least.
Their upside? Range.
I think you forget about something. Here is the reminder: multiple lives, jet pack, fire thrower, dash, grenades, shooting from the floor, rockets, blobs.
The risk/reward of push is skewed. The risk is minimal, the reward high.
No. Wrong timing = dead sith. And gunner can drain your fp on distance, while you can do absolutely nothing until you get close. How fair is that?
i feel like we're playing a completely separate game where jedi don't get absolutely destroyed by gunners on a regular basis. this entire post basically says its a miracle for a gunner to beat a jedi because of push, which is certainly not the reality of mb2.

i really feel like you just simply aren't operating in good faith here, is this really the mb2 you experience? are jedi unstoppable monsters and gunners simply must hold walk whenever one is in their presence?
^this. Really, this.
This is exactly what I'm talking about in this thread.

Here is some coolstory:
Just yesterday I was playing mb, and thing happened which happens often enough: someone from our team called sith "useless" and he said they should to switch to gunners. And you know, I wasn't the only sith in the team!
Then I even get teamkilled from my back at respawn since I didn't switch, and that teamkill wasn't made by a saber, if you know what I mean.

And after that you still call saberist overpowered, easy to use, etc? Still think some of sith skills should be nerfed? Tell me, how many times did you see in team chat "useless sith/jedi", and how many times did you "useless gunners"?

You can build nice theories about saberists and theirs super powers, but reality doesn't approve them. You have to deal with reality.

Last edited:
The only time imo I feel like push is the be all, and end all of unstoppable is 1v1 when i'm playing mando vs jedi, and that's just cause i find mandos fat and slow.

With literally every other class I look forward to reking a jedi close up, push spamming just makes it easier to kill them, aye there is a chance they'll catch me out while trying to out maneuver them, but that just means I fucked up.

The way i see it (again just my opinion), in many circumstances ( not in gen or somewhere daft, not a cyan jedi and not a surprise ambush ) gunners have to fuck up for a jedi to kill them 1v1, either being out of position, not taking advantage of being able to run at the right times ( swinging, lightning, grip noise ), not using melee, missing shots, etc.

I don't see push as being overpowered for its ease of use, It needs to be a quick ability to fulfill its support purpose of pushing nades and rockets, It leaves the jedi open for attack, where jedi are often sniped in open, or at least lose some health, after it is used there is a brief cooldown period of force powers, allowing safe unrestrained movement of the gunners, and losing 1/5 of your fp in a fight with gunners involved is no small amount.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Just watch two players who are around the same experience and skill level go at it. Say an elite trooper versus a Jedi and it will not be a 50/50 fight. It is closer to 65/35 with the Jedi out on top. Yes, some classes have specific anti Jedi abilties and they can be used to great effect but they still require more effort than push. Using your melee as a gunner can be a death sentence if you don't get it perfect. All the people opposed in this thread act as though aiming for a knockdown would just ruin the class completely. It would only make you try the same as the gunner.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Just watch two players who are around the same experience and skill level go at it. Say an elite trooper versus a Jedi and it will not be a 50/50 fight. It is closer to 65/35 with the Jedi out on top.
The Elitetrooper will be favoured roughly 60/40 at high levels of play. Clones even more. Which is very funny for a 2-life class.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
The Elitetrooper will be favoured roughly 60/40 at high levels of play. Clones even more. Which is very funny for a 2-life class.
My concern is in public matches, not really the competitive high tier, since that is where the majority of play is. Clones get blobs which are invaluable for taking out Sith. I can see the A280 outperforming the T21 against a saberist due to a well timed burst or sonics by baiting them into a trap, fire not so much. But I'm talking more about your average player in a public match.

Unlimited ammo as Puppytine said would be a gigantic boon for gunners. That would greatly dissipate some of my concern as well.

Woah, we don't need unlimited ammo. Thats way too much.
I will settle for regen ammo like what the sbd does. But thats it.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
My concern is in public matches, not really the competitive high tier, since that is where the majority of play is. Clones get blobs which are invaluable for taking out Sith. I can see the A280 outperforming the T21 against a saberist due to a well timed burst or sonics by baiting them into a trap, fire not so much. But I'm talking more about your average player in a public match.
There aren't anything besides public matches really. It's just skilled vets stomping the lesser folk.

I personally don't see a problem with Jedi/Sith being favored against Clones, Soldiers, Elitetroopers or Commanders at lower levels of play. These classes are supposed to be be weaker.

Average single-life gunners are very much on par with average Jedi/Sith even when forced to use nothing but their main weapon and core movement abilities.

Push as an ability is very much balanced. It has big trade-offs when used.
  • User loses 20 FP
  • User is vulnerable to all incoming attacks for 1 second
  • User is stuck in animation, unable to attack for 1 second
It is worth noting that getting shot up close by even a Clone Rifle will set a Sith back by roughly 12 FP each shot. Ideally in a 1 second window you will be able to land 2-3 shots at least. Push is a very big risk/reward investment that relies on players being shit.

If it were nerfed in AOE, it would need to be buffed elsewhere to justify it. Biggest suspect for a buff would be the long 1 second vulnerability window. Notably this change would make Push far more viable in high level fights, which I don't know how I feel about.

If push becomes an aimed skill, but you make that push vulnerability window shorter to a 0.5 intead of a whole second.
I am willing to accept that world.

I don't think I'd mind that either.

Obviously real world testing would need to be looked at for the size of the arc and the length of the cooldown but it's certainly an option. As an alternative what about a reduction of FP loss with a push, to maybe 15 rather than the 20 we have now?

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
If it were nerfed in AOE, it would need to be buffed elsewhere to justify it. Biggest suspect for a buff would be the long 1 second vulnerability window. Notably this change would make Push far more viable in high level fights, which I don't know how I feel about.
That's what I proposed though.... and made up that charge addition to keep that same big AOE knockdown. Getting in those point blank encounters would force them to rely more on the saber than getting in a lucky Push.

Status
Not open for further replies.