Make classic dotf playable again

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 to this. Sure the new Dotf is aesthetically pleasing but gameplaywise the old one takes the battle. Make it available again and let the community decide. I'd take a 24/7 dotf server anyday over a 24/7 deathstar server.

Do you like new DOTF?

MaceMadunusus, Dec 10, 2017

"a few months" btw

really though it's about time to add it back in. as stated a million times over in the above thread, no reason to keep it removed. you've had more than enough time for people to play it and provide feedback. give the community the option to play whichever dotf they prefer on their server. if more people play the old version over the new, so what? that would mean there was no need to "update" the map in the first place. no reason to continue to keep it out of the game other than Mace not wanting all of his work on the new dotf to go to waste. because he and everyone else knows that the old version would get played more than the new

no reason to continue to keep it out of the game other than Mace not wanting all of his work on the new dotf to go to waste
Have you considered the idea that Mace does want to release it but doesn't want to say that he does in case of more ravenous people @ing him on Discord?

Has there been any talk of this by a developer? What's the hard decision? Eother tell us in a sentence why you can't/won't do it, or just add it in.

I mean, obviously more than a majority of the community wants it, so just throw it in there.

The only setback I see is people joining a server and being like "EW THIS DOTF! IM OUTTA HERE TO (other server that uses the other one)"
Which is fine, because you don't lose a player either one, just a different server.

Has there been any talk of this by a developer? What's the hard decision? Eother tell us in a sentence why you can't/won't do it, or just add it in.

I mean, obviously more than a majority of the community wants it, so just throw it in there.

The only setback I see is people joining a server and being like "EW THIS DOTF! IM OUTTA HERE TO (other server that uses the other one)"
Which is fine, because you don't lose a player either one, just a different server.

This is not a problem since you can name one Dotf_Classic and the other DotfV2, so no one will confuse the map. There is no official reason as to why they dont have released it back yet.

im sure it would take like 5 mins for a dev to readd it in the next patch

You're right, you can already pick up the map on old MB2 build and play with it alongside Dotf V2 on your own. You just have to rename some files in the pk3. The only issu I have is it changes the Dotf V2 loading screen with the one from Classic Dotf, but it's nothing serious for a dev to fix I think.

i doubt we will see dotf added again. after getting flamed for taking it out, devs decided to act like vindictive children and punish the entire community.

ripdotf.png

ripdotf2.png

Who was being a toxic asshat? There's clearly a large portion of people who want the old dotf back, it seems strange to deny it them on grounds of abuse from the vocal minority.

Bro tbh mace trying to play the victim in this situation is laughable

i mean firstly he has the reputation of being 'macemadundus', i dont even know why he has this nickname but its obvious that he has been toxic to other people before.

secondly, there has been plenty of people (this thread included) who have constructively asked for the map to be readded, some people will have probably been toxic about it but its frustrating and i don't even blame them.

it feels to me and a lot of people (which again has been said before) that the map isn't getting readded because of some kind of pride that mace has, in that he doesn't want to feel like he wasted his time on new dotf. I mean he literally admitted this in the screenshots above.

its not a nice situation but the mod really can't afford not to listen to the playerbase anymore, the game has been noticeably more quiet recently, with less players actively participating in the community and ingame. Several clans have died in EU almost completely, J| included, which is crazy.

My point is that we've already tried to be constructive, and we have been ignored. It's no wonder people like Achilles have literally lost their mind with the dev team, because no one is going to be fooled into thinking that there is some kind of technical reason behind it all. It would literally take 5 minutes to readd and should have been done as soon as people requested it.

It could also be one of the many reasons why the game has decreased in activity recently (inb4 1000 unique IPs every day, even if this is true I would like to see how many unique IPs we had in 1.4.9).

If Mace truly feels like he wasted his time making the new DOTF after classic comes back, then I struggle to have sympathy for him. 'If it isn't broke, don't fix it,' comes to mind

Still haven't heard any reason as to why we can't have the old map back? If it makes the already low playerbase happy, then it's worth doing.

Keeping it away from players out of some sense of pride and being stubborn is just selfish and does nothing but hurt your reputation and the playerbase. People didn't like the new map, woopty doo; the least you could do is let people choose between which one they'd like for their servers.

Last edited:
Bro tbh mace trying to play the victim in this situation is laughable

it feels to me and a lot of people (which again has been said before) that the map isn't getting readded because of some kind of pride that mace has, in that he doesn't want to feel like he wasted his time on new dotf. I mean he literally admitted this in the screenshots above.
This. I don't understand what Mace was trying to say there, because what I got from it was "Ahhhh! 4 people made fun of me! Now the rest of the community will pay because I won't take like 15 minutes to add it back into the game!"

I see this as complete immaturity and I really don't understand it. If he thinks this way, why is he still developing the game? If he's upset the way people talk to him and see the community that he doesn't want to add it in for them, then what is he adding to the community than aside from just having the title of 'developer'?

If all game developers now got offended and refused to add anything to the game because a few people said some things to them, then the gaming community would die pretty fast.
Again, all I see is a bit of immaturity here.

And @Phoenix Says "Still haven't heard any reason as to why we can't have the old map back... Keeping it away from players out of some sense of pride and being stubborn is just selfish"
This is a good way to describe it. I see a developers ego hurt, so he decides to make the rest of the community pay, like a teacher who punishes the whole class because of that one obnoxious kid.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I don't know the whole story on this but i think you guys are missing the main point. The "toxic vocal minority" we're talking about kept claiming that "omg devs have powah and feel stronk, they abuse powah on forums and chat channel !" or "omg devs abuse powah to change the game in X or Y way and ignore feedback from poor little us they must feel so stronk !" or whatever. From my point of view it always felt like these people have irl issues with powah or something along these lines lol.

In any case Mace was like "here, your actions have affected the game with same amount of powah as us devz, now you are the mastah !". I indeed don't think it's very fair to all the non-vocal majority who didn't really ask for any of this, but with an atmosphere of general disapproval of the dev team's actions for quite a while it's also hard to get a feel for whom exactly the silence from this majority supports, even in this case where the vocal minority was rather clearly obnoxious.

Lastly, i still dunno why this dev team here is thought of and compared to a standard video game dev team. Obviously mb2 is non-monetized for us and that has been repeated alot recently because somehow it isn't obvious, but the reason the members of this "dev team" are so close to the community and respond on the forums or discord channel so much, and rather casually without a professional face on display, is precisely because we are primarily long-time players and the rest of the community isn't our "client". We, or at least i, since i mustn't automatically speak for the whole team, act like any member who's active on the forums basically. So let's stop the nonsense about "if all game developers were like this", we aren't "game developers" when it comes to this mod.

Last edited:
I agree, but when it comes to keeping a community ALIVE and a game FUN, there needs to be a sense of professionalism, and doing things for the players.

But the more I think about it, it's true what you said. No matter how good the developers do things, the community will always be mostly toxic and depressingly negative about anything you do, and that's really the reason I left, I don't see a future where this community can be seen as wholesome and turns out to be a community that not only helps eachother, but strives to improve even more. All I see is threads and complaints about how the developers have screwed up, or how the game could be better, instead of enjoying it for what it is.
And admittedly, I have done this many times, unfortunately.

"Ahhhh! 4 people made fun of me! Now the rest of the community will pay because I won't take like 15 minutes to add it back into the game!"
What a way to oversimplify the situation. While I can't say I agree with the approach, I understand the reaction.
After working a couple years for customer relations, I know from experience that it's not the "4 people that really annoy you," it's always the number of complete twats that just slowly get to you. You never remember their name or exactly what they did to you, but it still infects you and it sticks with you. After sometime, you just lose it, since you need find a way to go let go all the pent up frustration. Obviously there's always someone to say that "Such a reaction is not proper and unprofessional". And honestly I can't even imagine what it must be like as a developer where you don't even get paid to stay as long as you can.

I don't see a future where this community can be seen as wholesome and turns out to be a community that not only helps eachother, but strives to improve even more.
The misconception here is that because the community *can* be toxic means that it's somehow negatively affecting the game. However, a wholesome community that won't point out errors in peoples/the games ways is more detrimental to the development of said game than this so called toxic community.

That's the very reason why you should never engage with well-known toxic community members and have minimal ( = only necessary ) communication overall. You end up with actually stupid situations like this.
It's pretty sad, because said toxic individuals do win in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.