Make classic dotf playable again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I just want people to realize their actions have an impact on what goes on, both negatively and positively.

This isn't something that has happened until recent years. We removed CC a long time ago, which was the favored map at the time. Instead of bitching people got over it and downloaded the map and played on a modified server. Where as no one will do that here because they're too damn lazy. They would rather spend 10s of hours bitching at me over the course of a year instead of doing something that takes maybe a minute if you download speed is ass. Yeah there were people that complained, but it wasn't near as bad as this.

Using DOTF to make a stand towards the treatment of developers by members of the community is harsh, but not irrational. There is no credibility to be lost with those people. Instead of making me want to give it back to you guys, you are demanding it and threatening me (not nessicarily the people here, just saying in general over the course of a year), which makes me not what to do the compatibility tasks that I have to do to get it to you. Ergo it doesn't get done. Ergo it doesn't get released. I choose tasks that I want to do because none of you pay me. If i have a task that I want to do more, whether that be tutorials, conquest, dotf, bugfixes, model optimizations, whatever from the list of things I have to do, I am going to do that instead. Simple as that. You aren't going to win over my motivation do something by acting like Apex has. You do the opposite.

You don't have to agree with us all the time, you just have to not be an asshole about it.

We removed CC a long time ago, which was the favored map at the time. Instead of bitching people got over it and downloaded the map and played on a modified server.
To add onto this, TIN hosted an old DOTF server for sometime, all you had to do was follow the bitly link, download it and play. No one touched it server apart from the clan members.

I feel like the "majority" of the community that wants old DOTF back might just be a minority

To add onto this, TIN hosted an old DOTF server for sometime, all you had to do was follow the bitly link, download it and play. No one touched it server apart from the clan members.

I feel like the "majority" of the community that wants old DOTF back might just be a minority
That doesn't prove anything. Make it playable without a download and see how many people are interested in it.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
That doesn't prove anything. Make it playable without a download and see how many people are interested in it.

The point was this didn't matter 10 years ago. Even when people had shittier internet, shittier ways to distribute files, shittier ways to communicate.

People were more successful then with less resources.

That right there does prove something, it proves that this community does indeed not care as much as they say they do, or that they are really damn lazy.

It takes more time and energy to write a complaint on the forums about how you want old dotf back than it does to open a bitly link, download the file and place it in the game directory.
Was it an ineffective way to do it? Yea. But it wasn't official.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Back then we had community map packs that had to be downloaded separately. Ppl played those. Thats why it wasn’t such a big deal to get CC on modified servers. Nowdays everything that there is comes with launcher so extra stuff like that wont be downloaded anymore.

The point was this didn't matter 10 years ago. Even when people had shittier internet, shittier ways to distribute files, shittier ways to communicate.

People were more successful then with less resources.

That right there does prove something, it proves that this community does indeed not care as much as they say they do, or that they are really damn lazy.

This is not specific to Mb2. Nowadays people are used to get everything in hand, and if not complain until they get it. Just watch people when they have trouble on their smartphone, on their internet box or on other games. They complain but don't look by themselves while the solution is on internet, on the manual or in the instruction.

This has nothing to do with people not caring about the mod, it's juste that the mentality shifted in the past few years from activly looking for what we need to passively complaining and waiting someone to fix it for us. If people did not care they wouldn't be here posting as much as they are.

s m h

just PLEASE readd the map, holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! it literally would take SECONDS to slip that in the next update, just do it instead of debating it!!!!!!! its not going to have any negative effect.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
just PLEASE readd the map, holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! it literally would take SECONDS to slip that in the next update, just do it instead of debating it!!!!!!! its not going to have any negative effect.

I literally said it would take more than a few seconds and I said why. I did work on it a little bit last night however for more than a few seconds. Then like I said it turned into "wow I'd rather go grind in guild wars".

Angery Skrubs said:
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GIB DOTF BACK
this boring v1 has been the overplayed map of mb2 for decades
and now after it's replaced these guys want it back so bad?
save us Mace and delay dotf_classic as long as possible please

at least until i get my pc working and finally play the legendary V2

are you the only person capable of making these compatibility changes? it's been over a year and you still don't have the motivation to do realistically, not exaggerated, 20 minutes of work? no one should have to convince you of anything at this point. you've made your "stand" for a year now, we get it. the fact that you even said anything about the community having to "win you over" is fucking ridiculous. you're lead level designer of a dying modification for an ancient star wars game, get over yourself.

there should be some sort of system set in place within the dev team to balance power hungry babies. if you want people to grovel to you and be your friend so you can find some motivation to finally do 20 minutes of work after an entire year, it's not going to happen. i'm sure there is someone else willing and capable of adding the map back, let them do it. you have too much power for someone who thinks so emotionally

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
are you the only person capable of making these compatibility changes?

Currently since spag left, and pipex has IRL stuff to deal with, sno has another more important task, yes.

And again, I love ignoramuses telling me how much these things take when compile times alone will exceed that amount they're claiming to know how long something takes.

Lindsey

Movie Battles II Team
Unless specifically requested mappers retain creative control over their work, how it's always been and main reasons why Cloud City and DOTF were redesigned/remade in the first place, the original mappers pulled their permissions to use it in the mod.

Many people I talked to on other servers didn't even know that "bit.ly" in the server name was a link to the map. They're just clueless. I don't blame them, but it's still funny. Max pop we got was like 10-11 people one time including a few clan members.
We still play on classic dotf every few months in events with decent amount of people but to me it seems the majority of the community just doesn't care enough. And at this point to be honest, I don't care either, old or new, I got tired of dotf anyway. Deathstar ftw.

Currently since spag left, and pipex has IRL stuff to deal with, sno has another more important task, yes.

And again, I love ignoramuses telling me how much these things take when compile times alone will exceed that amount they're claiming to know how long something takes.

i love how you're including the compile time as if that requires any effort on your part other than sitting there and letting it compile... yeah that's really hard work

your responses are always so petty. instead of just taking the small amount of effort and time required to add the map back in, you'd rather continue debating and arguing with your horrible reasoning. it's been a year, dude. the time required to add the map back shouldn't even be a point of discussion anymore. you're holding on to the power it gives you by holding the map hostage. a year wasn't long enough for you? get over it. get over yourself. no one is going to ask nicely at this point.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I would rather work on tutorial. Simple as that. It is more important to me, it is more fun to do, it is more important to the team as a whole and they should not be waiting for me to finish something they request so that they can work on something that they need to. Our time is valuable and I have to be efficient with it. I need to respect their free time as well.

I would also rather work on optimizing models, because far more of the community complains about framerate and other issues and that affects almost every map we have.

Just because something doesn't work the way you want it to, doesn't mean I am doing it based on emotion.

D

Deleted member 5707

tbh just add that shit back smhh i could do all that shit for you haha

Status
Not open for further replies.