[Guide] Mac Installation

Thanks for all the help, guys. The reason I went with isair's install guide was because I downloaded MB2 v1.4, mono, and jkja launcher and I couldn't get it to work. Maybe I was putting mb2 & jkja launch in the wrong place because the directions just weren't as explicit as my newb eyes needed to see. I don't know. Regardless, it appears as though I got mb2 launcher working and I'm assuming it downloaded and placed the most updated mb2 in the right place. If that's the case, I suppose step number 2 is getting jkja in the right place and using it to boot mb2? I'll send a pic of my contents folder for you guys to laugh at, I mean analyze for mistakes as soon as I get back to my MacBook Pro. I'm no newb to mods or putting pk3 files in my base folder, but this is a whole new level of confusing for me. Oh, and yes isair, I am on El Capitan, El Capitan.

Mayn all this trouble, easiest mac installation ever:
1. Download full MBII from MovieBattlesII_FULL_V1.4.zip
2. Extract into ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy/ (right click on finder and press go to folder and copy paste what I wrote)
3. Get http://redsaurus.net/JKJALaunch/15/JKJALaunch.zip to run MB2 with "+set fs_game MBII" in options (Redsaurus you r the man breh)

If you cant run the damn game with the launcher why go through aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall this trouble just to download the game that you can download as a ZIP.

Agreed cow, that would be muy simplistico, but I couldn't get it to work for me for some reason. I think I'm putting jkja in the wrong place. However, I'm replying to you because you said to extract the mb2 zip to ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy/. Generally, I just right click my ja app and select "open in finder" then I right click it in finder and select "open package contents" and then drag 'n drop my desired files into the desired locations (I hope). Have I been putting files in the wrong place all along? And if so, how am I getting my other mods and pk3s working in the boring, vanilla, oh-so-2004 version of JA that the rest of the world plays? Also, when I go to application support, there is no Jedi academy. It only appears in my applications folder. Maybe I'm all kinds of messed up.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I turned it into this after I got the official MBII launcher working. My main computer is a MacBook Pro and it's working flawlessly for me.
Hm hm hm interesting... I was sure that MBII Launcher unable to start mb2 on mac for some reason...
Thanks for all the help, guys. The reason I went with isair's install guide was because I downloaded MB2 v1.4, mono, and jkja launcher and I couldn't get it to work. Maybe I was putting mb2 & jkja launch in the wrong place because the directions just weren't as explicit as my newb eyes needed to see. I don't know. Regardless, it appears as though I got mb2 launcher working and I'm assuming it downloaded and placed the most updated mb2 in the right place. If that's the case, I suppose step number 2 is getting jkja in the right place and using it to boot mb2? I'll send a pic of my contents folder for you guys to laugh at, I mean analyze for mistakes as soon as I get back to my MacBook Pro. I'm no newb to mods or putting pk3 files in my base folder, but this is a whole new level of confusing for me. Oh, and yes isair, I am on El Capitan, El Capitan.
What do you mean "couldn't get it to work"? What's happening when you start JKJALaunch with a Shift key pressed? What's happening when you start JKJALaunch without a Shift key pressed?
What JA version do you have, Steam or CD?
Post screenshots, as many as you can: where is your JA? Where is MBII files? Where is both Launchers? If JKJALaunch shows some errors, make a screenshot of it, too.

Also try: MBII Launcher => Settings => Engine => jamp => Play.

About files placement:
While it's possible having "MBII" folder somewhere under "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app/Contents", it's better idea to move both "MBII" folder and MBIILauncher.exe into one of these directories:
if you are using Steam version:
~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy
If you are using regular CD version :
~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy MP
If you are using OpenJK :
~/Library/Application Support/OpenJK

There are a lot of threads about similar issues, you should check them:
[SOLVED] - Getting the Mod on Mac
[SOLVED] - Need help on Mac
Technical Issue - Another mac install problem

Last edited:
Ok, first I have the app store version of JA. Second, I nearly got JKJA launcher to work for me. I used the "+set fs_game MBII" (without the quotes) command option after holding down shift. I got into MB2 and nearly pissed myself when I heard the music. However, the opening menu looks kinda, well...bad (screenshot below). I can see servers and even join a game (the loading screens look good). But when I go to any of the menus, they just look really bad.

However, it's a huge improvement over trying launch from the MB2 launcher. When I do that, I get an error screen from my mac (see below).

Finally, I tried going to "MBII Launcher => Settings => Engine => jamp => Play," but yet again my newb mind isn't comprehending. After choosing "jamp" do I just hit the "X (close)" button and then select "play?" When I do that, I get the aforementioned Mac error screen. There doesn't appear to be a "save" or "apply" button after I select "jamp" so I'm not sure what to do. I'm really close guys. Thanks for all your patience. And yes, I have read the recommended posts, Puppytine.
Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 7.35.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 7.40.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 7.45.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-06 at 7.46.28 PM.png

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
However, the opening menu looks kinda, well...bad (screenshot below). I can see servers and even join a game (the loading screens look good). But when I go to any of the menus, they just look really bad.
Yeah, that's nasty... :(
Try moving JKJALaunch out of SWJKJA bundle, to "Application" folder, and then repeat those steps you took for JKJALaunch again.
If that won't help, try moving whole "MBII" folder to "Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy MP" or (should it be "Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy"? Dunno :( ), and then start game using JKJALaunch once more.
After choosing "jamp" do I just hit the "X (close)" button and then select "play?"
Yes.
When I do that, I get the aforementioned Mac error screen. There doesn't appear to be a "save" or "apply" button after I select "jamp" so I'm not sure what to do.
Yes, there is no "save" button, but it's strange that error screen is still about mbii.x86, and not about jamp, whatever it should be called on mac.
Anyway, it seems that OS is complaining about missing SDL2. You can try installing it and then click "Play" in MBII Launcher again:
Lazy Foo' Productions - Setting up SDL 2 on Mac OS X

Also cast
@kikili
@redsaurus
They are the most experienced mac users, and @redsaurus is a creator of JKJALaunch, I hope they'll help.

Last edited:

Cow

Donator
Agreed cow, that would be muy simplistico, but I couldn't get it to work for me for some reason. I think I'm putting jkja in the wrong place. However, I'm replying to you because you said to extract the mb2 zip to ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy/. Generally, I just right click my ja app and select "open in finder" then I right click it in finder and select "open package contents" and then drag 'n drop my desired files into the desired locations (I hope). Have I been putting files in the wrong place all along? And if so, how am I getting my other mods and pk3s working in the boring, vanilla, oh-so-2004 version of JA that the rest of the world plays? Also, when I go to application support, there is no Jedi academy. It only appears in my applications folder. Maybe I'm all kinds of messed up.

If you want I could fix your MB2 through TeamViewer but I feel like trying to fix it through the forums here is just taking forever, although Puppytine is doing a good job trying, if you ask me.

Hey, everyone! First-time poster, long-time player here. Thought I should share here the steps I used to get MB2 working on my Mac.

1. Install Jedi Academy.

2. Download the latest MB2 launcher for Mac. This is a .NET exe file and needs to be run using Mono.

3. Locate the Jedi Academy app. For Steam users just open the Terminal app and type in open ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Jedi\ Academy

Right click on the Jedi Academy app, and select Show Package Contents.

5. Go to Contents and place the launcher .exe file here. Keep this directory open in Finder for later steps.

6. Download and run Mono Universal Installer from this page.

7. Open your Terminal application under Applications > Utilities. Typing Terminal in spotlight will work as well.

8. Type in

echo "mono

Leave a space at the end and then drag the launcher .exe file from the Finder window we've been keeping open and drop it in the Terminal window, this should add its full path as text to where we have left our terminal text cursor at. Then type the rest in

" > ~/mb2.sh

And press enter.

9. Type in "chmod +x ~/mb2.sh" without the quotes and press enter to make our script executable. Then do "open ~/" (again, without the quotes) and a Finder window should pop up showing your home folder. In it should be our mb2.sh, which launches the MBII launcher executable using mono. However, we need just one more step before we're done.

10. Right click on "mb2.sh" and select "Get Info". Under "Open with:" press the "Change All" button and use the Terminal app under Applications > Utilities.

Double clicking mb2.sh should launch the MBII launcher if everything went correctly. You can carry this anywhere. Enjoy!

Let me know if you run into any problems, will be happy to help. You can find me in-game as Isair as well. I mostly play on duel servers. Also, if you're a developer, check my open source JA server docker image project. Any contributions are welcome.
When I double click mb2.sh nothing happens

Hello, I'm having problems with installing MB2 on my Mac. I've gone through all of the steps that you put out, and tried my best with following along but I can't seem to get it to work.
I got everything all the way up to where you just double click on the Mb2.sh file. It just opens up terminal and doesn't do anything.

I'm running Sierra 10.12.5

I'm including a screenshot of what pops up in terminal once I click on it and open it. Maybe you can tell me where I went wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 3.45.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 3.45.31 PM.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 394
Alright, so I inserted the 'cd /Users/xxxx/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy; mono ./MBIILauncherLIN.exe' into terminal, but when mono tries to open it just quits.

Last edited:

isair

Donator
Alright, so I inserted the 'cd /Users/xxxx/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy; mono ./MBIILauncherLIN.exe' into terminal, but when mono tries to open it just quits.

I hadn't played MBII on Mac in years. I recently checked and it turns out the latest version of Mono doesn't work with the launcher. I have updated my original post and also simplified the steps.

Hello, I made an account just for this. I followed your instructions and the launcher started up, but before it starts, it says that there is a newer version of the launcher that I need to use and then it sends me to this page: Index of /download
I downloaded and tried the MBIILauncherLIN.exe file in that page but it still gives me that message. Where am I supposed to get the new launcher version? I really can't find it anywhere.

Edit: I've also tried the launcher file in the "Downloads" section and the same thing happens.

Hey, everyone! First-time poster, long-time player here. Thought I should share here the steps I used to get MB2 working on my Mac.

1. Install Jedi Academy. The rest of this guide assumes you've installed it via Steam to simplify the rest of the process.

2. Download the latest MB2 launcher for Mac. This is a .NET exe file and needs to be run using Mono. You need to place this launcher under /Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app/Contents/ (you can browse the contents of an .app by right clicking on it and selecting Show Package Contents).

3. Download and run Mono Universal Installer for version 3.12.1 from here.

4. Download my launcher script under this page and place it on your Desktop.

5. Open your Terminal application under Applications > Utilities. Typing Terminal in spotlight will work as well.

6. Type in chmod +x ~/Desktop/launch-mbii.sh and press enter to make the script executable.

7. Right click on launch-mbii.sh on your Desktop and select Get Info. Under Open with: press the Change All button and use the Terminal app under Applications > Utilities.

Double clicking launch-mbii.sh should launch the MBII launcher if everything went correctly. You can carry this anywhere. Enjoy!
When I download MBIILauncherLIN.exe and I downloaded Mono I opened terminal and typed in chmod +x ~/Desktop/launch-mbii.sh It said "Could not find no such file or directory" I need some help with the whole tutorial.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
After I downloaded thos files where do I place them?
Depends on which version of Jedi Academy you have:

Steam:
/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy

CD:
/Users/YOUR_NAME/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy MP

Anyway, try these guides:
Automatic install: Technical Issue - Noob Probs on Mac: App Support JKJA folder is gone
Manual install: [SOLVED] - STRUGGLING with Mac installation.
If something goes wrong, describe what exactly problem do you have.
Quote all error messages fully and entirely.

I put in the chmod thing, and it says no such file or directory exists. I've downloaded the newest mono, and put the .exe file in the Jedi Aca folder. After double clicking the launcher, it just brings me back to the terminal saying I don't have the right mono. Can you help me?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
After double clicking the launcher
Don't do this, you're supposed to launch Mono from a command line, passing a name of Launcher as a parameter.

Use these guides:
Automatic install: Technical Issue - Noob Probs on Mac: App Support JKJA folder is gone
Manual install: [SOLVED] - STRUGGLING with Mac installation.
it just brings me back to the terminal saying I don't have the right mono
Please stop retelling error messages with your own words.
You absolutely, positively must quote all error messages you got fully and entirely, with omitting a damn word.
Screenshots are also welcomed.