•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Another mac install problem

Hey, long story short, I was forced to change to the steam version of JKA, and I can't get MBII to work with it. (yea I still used the original game patched up with 1.0.1e)

I studied the following thread thouroughly: [SOLVED] - Getting the Mod on Mac | Movie Battles II Community Also read some other threads, but eventually those were irrelevant for my issue.

I'm getting that "missing files" error when I try to connect to a server. I would try to nuke the datas about JKA, because that's what was suggested by Parker in the linked thread, but I don't know how to complete the following step:" In steam, delete your local content for JKJA" I can delete the application support, that's no problem.

I tried multiple ways for installation anyway. Put the MBII folder in application support, put it in the steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/Contents. I have to note here that for my CD version JKA it didn't matter where I put the MBII folder, also it didn't matter if I left z_MB_BaseAssets.pk3 in the MBII folder or put it in base, I didn't get animation bug. Furthermore I tried installing both with my old MBII folder and with a fresh one.

I tried the mbii launcher as well, however it didn't even start. I mono'd it in my terminal and after 1 minute a blank window appeared but after that no progression at all (waited 30 mins for it). It's weird, because I used the mbii launcher successfully when it was released. I saw a post that a new launcher is coming out soon, so I concluded that there's something wrong with the launcher, so I'm waiting for it. :)

Anyway I couldn't get the JKJA launcher app to work either. I placed it to the following places: library/appsupp/Jedi academy, appsupp/steam/common/jedi academy so next to the JKA app, and appsupp/steam/common/jedi academy/contents, but the ok button was always unclickable. I have a MBII mac launcher, which I got from the old forums as far as I remember, and that's what I used to launch MBII. So I tried to launch MBII with it and the only place I had partial success was: appsupp/steam/common/jedi academy/contents, there it launched the JKA MP 1st then crashed as it was attempting to launch MBII I believe, at the other places it did nothing, actually JALauncherGUI appears at the top left corner…

My last observation is that I don't see the change log at the mb2 main menu like I normally used to. I assume this is a problem too.

TLDR: current status: launching through JKA MP setup/mods, and when connecting to server I get "missing some files" error.

Thanks for the reply, indeed it's the same problem but it has no solution. You suspected missing maps, but that's not the case. Autodownloading is turned off by default. (if autodownload is turned on, then you get the error that you couldn't download mbII_mac etc.)

The screenshot would be the same as jarjar's last post as I have autodownload turned off. (Fehler/Error: You are missing some files referenced by the server. You might not be able to join the game. Go to setup and turn on autodownload, or get the file elsewhere)

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Thanks for the reply, indeed it's the same problem but it has no solution. You suspected missing maps, but that's not the case. Autodownloading is turned off by default. (if autodownload is turned on, then you get the error that you couldn't download mbII_mac etc.)

The screenshot would be the same as jarjar's last post as I have autodownload turned off. (Fehler/Error: You are missing some files referenced by the server. You might not be able to join the game. Go to setup and turn on autodownload, or get the file elsewhere)
But I've asked to close error window, open console, and make screenshot. You should do it too.
And this time I'm starting to think that not using a launcher could provoke this faulty behavior... Since there is two users already who don't use launcher (if I get it right) and having same error...

Speaking of launcher: you should use this one:
http://jkhub.org/files/file/1019-jedi-academy-mp-launcher-for-os-x/
http://redsaurus.net/JKJALaunch/15/JKJALaunch.zip
You will need to launch it the first time holding the shift key to configure it by adding "+set fs_game MBII" in its setup.
If there's some error with launcher, you should post a screenshot.

Don't put MBII folder in that content folder, when you have cleaned your jka application folder.
Put MBII folder in ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy (because you use steam version)

If you don't know what "~" mean : it's your home folder, usually /Users/login_name
To go to that folder you can either click on the "Go" menu gf the finder while have alt key down
or open a terminal and type at the prompt :
Code:
open ~/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy
(originally posted by @kikili)

Last edited:

kikili

Movie Battles II Team
regarding mono launcher you should download the latest .exe from MBIILauncher.exe, put it in the ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy folder (I assume you have Steam version). Put also your current MBII folder in the same folder.
And launch the launcher by typing in a terminal window :
Code:
~/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy; mono ./MBIILauncher.exe
The click on repairing installation

Downloaded that mbiilauncher.exe, it worked now, I've done the repair installation, but I still get the same missing files error.
I uploaded a screenshot of my console after the error. Uploaded 2 screenshots about my issue with the JKJA launcher. You can see that depending on the location of the launcher it says "invalid" or "unsupported", it fails to find a valid JKA MP app.

EDIT: also tried the "play" button from the launcher, I attached another picture, this is what appears in the terminal after spamming the play button.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.26.39.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.26.39.png
    508.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.27.11.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.27.11.png
    522.9 KB · Views: 478
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.30.12.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.30.12.png
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 303
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.44.39.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 12.44.39.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Downloaded that mbiilauncher.exe, it worked now, I've done the repair installation, but I still get the same missing files error.
I uploaded a screenshot of my console after the error. Uploaded 2 screenshots about my issue with the JKJA launcher. You can see that depending on the location of the launcher it says "invalid" or "unsupported", it fails to find a valid JKA MP app.

EDIT: also tried the "play" button from the launcher, I attached another picture, this is what appears in the terminal after spamming the play button.
Damn. It didn't show what exactly files was missing. I hoped they would be listed just like on my shot.

What server you're trying to connect to? Can you see map which server run in your mbii folder? Does this happen with every server you trying connect, or only few?

btw try to set in launcher this path:
/Users/mrolka/Desktop/SWJKJA.app

adfa6ad8601e.jpg

Last edited:
This happens with every server yes, I connected to server with default mb2 maps like dotf, jedi temple, corellia.

Regarding the JKJA launcher: the desktop path says invalid too, I guess it's because I didn't create a desktop icon when I installed the game from steam.

Something is very wrong with my installation, because I tried creating a solo game with /devmap mb2_dotf and the game crashes, so my non professional conclusion is that my game can't make use of the mb2 files, despite they are sitting there in the app support as you can see on my screenshot.

Also on your screenshot we can see the change log on the main menu, but on my main menu the change log is empty.

EDIT: FIXED: [SOLVED] - Crashing when joining server | Movie Battles II Community in this thread, the attached picture helped me. I realized that in the JKJA launcher app I have to rewrite the path's ending to "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.app" instead of the default "Jedi Academy MP.app", then launched mbii through the JKJA launcher and I could connect to server now. So this problem is solved, I hope I won't run into any other. Also got the changelog on my main menu, so everything seems fine.

Last edited: