Push 3 Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Welcome to the topic. Please excuse the name, I didn't think too hard about it but this should probably be called

Force Push Re Balance

Let me start of here by first saying I do not think Push is Overpowered and this is Not a Nerf Thread. But there is a problem I have with how it affects gameplay. The issue that I want addressed here is The Use of Push 3 as a player crutch and this is what I want to see removed.
Not sure what I mean by that? Let me explain then. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Push 3 is easy to use to knock down targets and get some nice ground kills. All the while it is also easy to stop by walking, crouching or standing still. But the real issue is that it is much easier to use Push and very forgiving in mistakes by the user.
What does this mean? Well, simply put, it means that a Pusher has to put forth less effort in an engagement as opposed to his target. And to add a little more to it, a Force User without Push level 3 has to put forth even more effort than his opponent if not the same. This is not good from a gameplay balance standpoint.
What happens from this, then? Well, most Force User class configs basically have Push 3 as a necessity rather than an option. Players become reliant on it and other great elements become unused.
But hasn't Push remained the same for many years? Yes it has, but I never noticed the problem until recently.
How did I see this issue? It actually happened to be the large influx of brand new players. Watching them progress in player ability map after map or even days. But the thing I noticed the most is that they all used Push 3.
What's wrong with them all using Push? Nothing, except for the fact that they try out other classes or force powers but fail and go back to Push 3.
Why would they go back to using Push 3 over and over? After seeing this and examining it, I saw it helped their player ability. Sure, they still weren't very good but they were substantially better than not using it.
So this is a New Player problem? No, not at all. The new players merely opened my eyes by seeing the sheer number of them doing it. I am certain everybody knows of one or a few players who exclusively play Jedi with Push 3.
How does Push help these players out so much? From what I concluded it is because Push is extremely simple and easy to use. It can even be used in a majority of situations. Not much effort has to be used to be averagely effective at the game now.

Now in my opinion this is not fair at all because all players should have to give the same amount of effort to be effective. Sure, all players are different and some are better than others or vice versa. But they all try about the same to be a positive contribution to the team. Just because someone is good or bad at playing doesn't mean they aren't trying.

So, from all this I try and figure out a way to complete this objective: Make Push Harder to Use for Bad Players but Still Retain it's Effectiveness for Good Players.

Here we go then, my idea is below. I am certainly also not saying my idea is the best one or the only option. The one directly below is an edit after reading things from this thread and mashing them together while also thinking of other gameplay elements and how they work. My very original idea, which was pointed out would actually be a nerf (which is not my plan) is at the very bottom.

Probably the most important part of the topic is that these are all suggestions, which means they are not guaranteed to be implemented and are also all subject to change. Everybody here should be striving to make the game a better experience. I implore everybody to share their suggestions, ideas, and thoughts. The key word is collaboration.

Another extremely important part of it is that we all discuss this in a constructive, mature, and polite manner. I don't want to see the thread devolve any more than it has because there are some very good ideas here. If you need an example, here are a couple.
This is how to not be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: Hah, (x) is fine you just need to do (z) better.
This is how to be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: I don't understand your issue with (x), you can just do (z), can you help me understand?​

So after thinking through after all the things people posted I came up with a new idea built upon some of it. Of course all not set in stone.

Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes. To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable. But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc. Also I think the charged up blast should push things back with greater velocity. That would make for some fun grenade tosses. Although, the charge should not be able to be held indefinite so after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of holding automatically goes off. Now, to think of our saberless Jedi friends even more can come of this but this is just expanding on the idea so it may be too much. Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff. The issue of wookiees and SBDs I don't know of but if they could fall from it, would be a very useful ally to have.
push_zpsv9hvmodm.jpg

pushinstant_zpszpfgssuz.jpg

pushhalfcharge_zpst4gdmbrw.jpg

pushfullcharge_zpsdcg88aes.jpg

This can even be applied to Pull to make it affect a group after a charge, which would give that power a bigger oompf it definitely needs!

There have been a number of ideas posted in the thread, which may need to be expanded on and complimented, such as:
  • All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
  • Changes in Force Point cost
  • Changes in Class Point cost
  • Delay before pushing
  • Charge up before use
  • Differing types of knockback areas

Below is my first original post.

Now before you all start saying "l2walk" what this stems from is just the amount of Jedi/Sith who only use Push 3 as their main offensive weapon. In my opinion it is way too effective and versatile for how cheap it costs in both class points and FP. When looking at Pull, not only does it cost more, but it is harder to use due to the direct aim required and shorter range. I have seen plenty of players who don't use Push 3, but in comparison to the majority that do they need to play a lot smarter and harder. Push is just too easy.

My proposed fix is very simple although I don't know if the engine allows it. Have push be the way it is for range and AOE, especially projectiles, except for the knockdown which needs to be on the crosshair. Of course the closer the range the more lax this would be and anyone pushed outside of the knockdown sweet spot would still get pushed back, to help get those guys on a cliff. Pull could even be reworked the same way so a large group of people could be nudged closer rather than fall down.

This would increase the skill required to use it and help reduce the class spam for people looking to get easy kills but still maintain the support role it can fill.

Here is a representation of what I mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DarkFett/push._zpsbkp88iqp.jpg

Last edited:

Preston

Nerd
Yes, because saying counter arguments to the exact same argument you all keep typing is trolling.

Yes, because saying counter arguments to the exact same argument you all keep typing is trolling.
Im done with this thread.
Back so soon I see.

You have been called out for derailing, people said you have been derailing. You continue to derail by constantly trying to change the subject. I am not going go into this more. This is a skill discussion. Repeating yourself over and over is not adding to anything and your argument ended on the first page you posted. Its overused and has no relevance in anything.

So many people have brought up different counter points to your straw-man and you refuse to acknowledge the fact they have basis, and repeat yourself over and over. No you are not contributing and in fact can be labeled as and should be labeled as "trolling."

Continue to derail and I will have to resort to requesting moderator assistance.

Last edited:
Ewwww, Drama. Still haven't caught up but I'll read it later. I stopped at 14 pages for now:)

If no one has suggested it I have yet another idea to tweak Push. This idea would make it more difficult and riskier to spam.
No cooldown changes(well, not really), no push cone tweaks or even aiming.

Here it is:

You can push as much as you want. Whenever you want. But any push spammed or used consecutively right after the other increases the force cost.
Say theres a 2 second or was it 1.5 second timer before you can push again. If you push as soon as you can, it increases the force cost from 20 to 30. And then to 35.

Well, I guess it is a cooldown tweak.
The idea essentially breaks the Cooldowns into 2 categories. One is the current one which is based on how long you have to wait until you can push again.
My tweak is an addition that alters the force cost depending on how soon you push again.

So you could still play tennis with frags/rockets but you sure as hall better be more careful using push and wasting force.
---------------

Clone blobs are essentially knockdowns. They only get 3, 6, 9? And have a longer cooldown than push. :) Think on that.
As in, no cooldowns for clones!

Chaos for President!

:)

edit;

Caught up. Listen you l2walk scrubs. Yeah, it counters push. But you know what it makes you? A sitting duck. Sorry, a walking duck to any decent jedi that wiggles his way side to side to go highlander on your head.

There are times you have to run. Good gunners measure carefully.Or go by instinct. Or a combo:) Really depends on sobriety and effort involved.
Thing is, you don't have to be good to use push.

Repeating the same arguments when you're not convincing the other is a waste of time. Either evolve your thinking, learn to meet others halfway or entertain the idea, how can we improve this:) or just remove yourself as you've already stated your opinion.

And thats all they are. That includes devs and beta members. Who, dare I say it, don't always know what they're talking about:)

And back to the l2walk comments. I know how to walk. You're arguments are rendered nein.
Unless of course you think we just suck.

*grins*

Now I don't suck. Someguy doesn't suck. Well, he sucks a little more compared to me but hey, its like comparing the Sun to the moon. :)

Call it insanity but there are good players, who know how to walk, that still think push needs to be tweaked.

Shocking I know. Get your heads out of your asses because thats what your doing when you say, l2w.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Okay well I don't feel many people clearly see the point of this thread and it is just spiraling into a flame war. So I have edited my initial post to try and explain what exactly this is meant to do. Please re read it.

So you are driven insane, that people actually disagree with you?
There is a big difference from somebody not understanding what you are saying than somebody not agreeing with you. It drives me crazy when I try to explain over and over but they do not understand. I can live with them not agreeing as long as they know what I mean.

Anyway, I would like all this squabbling to end. I assume that most of us here are adults seeing how old this game is now, and we should act like it. So please keep everything civil and if you don't understand something do not assume, just ask.

I also had another thought while at work. What if Push wasn't an instant ability but had a short delay before activating, like the Mando Wrist Laser. Experienced people could still Push effectively by timing slightly sooner and others could possibly be denied their easy kill.

Last edited:
Hm having it work like wrist laser would be interesting. It would make it more difficult to use without rendering it useless, plus it would be less abused where stairs or jetpack takeoff is concerned since there would be less time to use it.

please god stop suggesting stuff like delayed push, increased cost, increased cooldown between pushes etc

dont destroy support jedi because you can't hold shift wtf lol

focus your efforts in balancing elsewhere

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
please god stop suggesting stuff like delayed push, increased cost, increased cooldown between pushes etc

dont destroy support jedi because you can't hold shift wtf lol

focus your efforts in balancing elsewhere
Dude it's just a discussion on what these things may do. If you see a problem, politely point it out. I mean I can see a problem with a straight up nerf like increased cost and cooldown, but what's so bad about a small delay like the Mando Wrist Laser? Attentive people will be able to push things just as well by timing it right.

i dont like when people attach stuff like 'attentive' people will be able to etc, as though the current push is for morons or something

push as it is now for projectiles is literally as balanced as it gets, theres no need to implement any nerf and then act as though "oh just PAY attention and sotp autopiloting, you SILLY jedi" justifies it

I would steer well away from giving a wind-up time as you'd remove a Jedi or Sith's ability to push projectiles in very tight situations which hardly seems fair considering your average Jedi can't pull off the ol' 180 degree 50 ms reaction time push on the whim of hearing a mandalorian's jetpack turn off and hearing the rocket sound. Doing so would effectively stunt the difference between your average Jedi/Sith player and your experienced Jedi/Sith player or amphetamine user. You'd also have to specify to what relative you are balancing Force Push around. Personally I like the new 12-slot server EU, especially when class limit 1 is enforced, here, when at any given time there is only one Jedi or Sith, Force Push is hardly a problem at all. You have a team of five gunners at most backing you up at any engagement, so any follow-up slash by the Jedi or Sith usually results in their death. Once that Jedi/Sith is dead, you know that you can rocket/sec-nade outplay the rest of their team knowing they can't do anything. Clearly, the importance of Jedi/Sith as a support class is emphasised more here. Getting caught by push in this sense isn't as punishing for the gunner nor as rewarding for the Jedi/Sith however it is rewarding for the Jedi/Sith's gunners, i.e it is fulfilling a support role. It is reasonably fair. Of course, in a one versus one, Jedi/Sith will almost always excel over any gunner (more so for Sith with disabling powers). I like that, because the way Jedi/Sith work currently is that they're strong in a one on one, but dramatically weaker in a two on one, or any multiple higher (provided the gunners have average aim). This sentiment is clearly distinct from saying Jedi/Sith is so powerful that you always have to engage them with back-up, rather, if a Jedi/Sith is found in isolation and you have any 'counter' class for Jedi/Sith, you can engage quite quickly knowing you can quickly kill them without losing anything but ammo/darts/fuel. Contrast this to a gunner in a one versus two, it's very possible for the one to kill the two, and even if it cannot, the one can at least severely damage the two for the rest of the team to clean up. Jedi/Sith on the other hand have no such luxury (with the exception of lightning and perhaps getting in one blue/cyan swing before dying). For a Jedi/Sith to do damage they have to go all in, they either do no damage or they kill you (for solely playing aggressive).

The medium which enables a Jedi/Sith to go 'all in' are their Force Powers. Provided there is only one Jedi/Sith on the team, push/pull seems quite fair. However scaling up from a 12-slot server with class limitations to a 32-slot server with no such limitations, the balance does not scale up identically. In which case, I wouldn't judge the balance of push on a server where there will be 3 Jedi trying to slash you, and 7 more trying to push you all at once, and because it's likely that the rest of your team is playing Sith, they cannot do much to help your downed self. I wouldn't go making any drastic changes to push, maybe small tweaks such that a Jedi/Sith can't get a max range push, walk all the way over to you and still swing at you before you've even got up. Shedding a few ms off of the knock-down duration might not be too bad of a idea, but I wouldn't try redesign the mechanics of push.

Yeah I want one of those hosted on a NA box when its possible.

I thought of hosting my own server when I start getting paid, a regular sized semi authentic server with rotation of maps. Because RTV just does not work with this community.

With a 5 soldier limit, and 3 for all the other classes. I like Aod's rotation selection minus yavin, I want to replace that with republic cruiser.

There needs to be some kind of haven for primary gunner players and I figured since I complain the most about this, I make my own area for these people and try to figure out a training program similar to saber training. So when they go back to open, they can compete more competently.

If people complain about push spam, they can just play on my server and I will basically try to quell the salt.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
i dont like when people attach stuff like 'attentive' people will be able to etc, as though the current push is for morons or something

push as it is now for projectiles is literally as balanced as it gets, theres no need to implement any nerf and then act as though "oh just PAY attention and sotp autopiloting, you SILLY jedi" justifies it
Push right now kind of is for morons, as you put it. My whole point is that it should be just as difficult to use as any other force power or ability in the game instead of being hands down the easiest. I don't want to nerf it for it's support capabilites, but rather see some change so the ability to use it as a crutch is removed. The entire reason for this thread is to make ideas and discuss what they might do. If you think that the delay would be too much and hurt support play too badly, that's fine. What maybe would you suggest? And what about my idea on the OP or some other's like Phelps'? BTW @Phelps very nice picture. And BigBoss' idea for all levels of Push maybe doing KD but vary in range is intriguing, too.

@Crusader I agree having a sole wind up would be bad, but what if the wind up as only for KD area while instant was able to push back things normally? I have more detail on that in the OP.

Last edited:
I quite like the charge for knockdown concept. Although it may be too easy to abuse for gunners shifting between walking and running.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
I quite like the charge for knockdown concept. Although it may be too easy to abuse for gunners shifting between walking and running.
Yeah but if the Jedi is charging it in a face to face encounter he will be wide open the whole time. It would be less risky, but require more skill, for an instant push knockdown by aiming.

I am not a fan of the charge, the aiming thing feels more justified but if you had to charge the push for knockdown that would be changing what the movies set for us.

Just requiring the push to be aimed should be enough.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
The main concern for me is an ability as versatile and powerful as push is so easy to use.
Why the hell it's your main concern? It looks like you just jealous/envy push (ostensibly) is easier to use than gunner abilities, while you should focus on does push make jedi overpowered or not.
If you care so much push doesn't require skill, please provide a replacement for push, which wouldn't break balance and wouldn't make glowsticks useless.
Ok. So. I'm walking along, a Jedi pushes me, I shoot him. He doesn't die.
Why? I died numerous times this way, I've seen a lot of sith had wrong timing for push and being shot to the death during vulnerability window.
He catches me running he pushes me, I almost certainly die.
If you were pushed too far away, you won't. If you're ARC, you won't, cause you able to shoot while your back is on the floor.
What if Push wasn't an instant ability but had a short delay before activating...
... it would ruin ability to push grenades and rockets completely.

Reading this topic page by page for pretty long time, I'm still very surprised people deny to discuss class balance, concentrating on balance of one single force power instead.
Do you really think saber users are overpowered? Or do you think nerfing some class ability will not nerf the whole class? Or you have something to give in exchange? But now all I see is elation about how cool it would be if push need to be aimed, and no words about buffing sith to keep them balanced.

Or maybe you simply hate sith/jedi and want to remove them from Movie Battles, by reducing their usefulness to the ground? A cunning plan, I may admit.

d9ef5791b614.jpg

I hear what people are saying and I have stumbled upon a solution.

In order to increase versatility we need to stop nerfing and start buffing, or in this case re-buffing abilities/weapons.
--------------------------

Since this game revolves so much on stuns/knockdowns:)

Clone Blob - unlike push you actually have to aim it. And you have a limited amount. And its not necessarily a guaranteed kill as you don't shoot sabers.
Solution - NO COOLDOWN FOR BLOB.
--------------
Grip - a largely inferior and useless ability when compared to push or pull. Don't think hard. Push can stun/knockdown multiple opponents. Has only a brief moment of vulnerability and only costs 20 force. Pull focuses on only one opponent but draws them closer to you and even has a chance of disarming them. Also costs a pathetic pittance to use with an even smaller window of vulnerability.

Where as grip - shit damage so really its just a stun. A stun that only affects one target, whose tipped off by a giant icon of a hand which causes them to pew pew or swish swish. A successful grip has no guarantees of killing a good gunner who knows enough to crouch to avoid a slap and dances while perfectly hs'ing each and every time. Right guys? Easy peezy. Even as a support power it leaves you open to being shot or knocked down from a push/pull. How much crappier can this ability get?

This is reality. Grip is a crap power. Its only usefulness is when you outnumber an opponent. Which is asinine.

Solution - remove lock on and increase damage! I'd like to be able to choke a soldier to death. Maybe not a full hp soldier, say, 40 hp. If I'm going to grip someone for that long, I deserve the kill!
----------------
Secondary nades - I guess they're the equivalent of stun grenades? Fuck that. Make them explosive. Any running jedi eats ash. Why was it removed before? Because jedi/sith crouchwhored there way to dmg reduction? Boohoo.

Remove crouching altogether. Ok, thats crazy. Remove crouching while moving for jedi/sith. You can still crouch, but only when you're perfectly still. Brilliance. Fuck tunnels.

----------------

Speed - remove temp vulnerability/removal of fb and allow jumping with hilt out.

----------------

Push Lightning?
Why not Pull Lightning?
Why not Grip Lightning?

Limited minds = small people.

-----------------

Gun slap for all! Staggers jedi/sith. 1/3rd the range of a saber but yet I suspect still people will whine and cry.

------------------

All explosives/rockets have the chance to set you on fire momentarily!

-----------------

Fire nades - direct hit should engulf target in flames.

------------------

Poison - bring back Poison Cam! Pissants for taking it away.
Or make it an optional hud setting at least!!!
------------------

Sbds - in certain fas Sbds have a secondary firing mode. Half their ammo is used to fire a charge that can knockdown an enemy. Why the fuck is that not in? Its perfectly balanced in fa. It would work in open. So whats going on there?

-------------------

Mandalorians - for a long time Mandos have had a reputation. Suicide, Dive Bombing Jihadis. And you know what? That's fine. But why settle for fine?
Secondary ability to wrist blaster and rocket combo - self destruct, a la Predator blows up a jungle bomb. He goes boom, jp explodes, everybody that survives is set aflame. Stop, drop and roll. Or die horribly.

Wrist gauntlets - allow mando wallgrab. It makes more sense for mandos to wallgrab than jedi. In fact, jedi shouldnt be able to wallgrab! They're not spiderman. But mandos with their jetpacks, used to flying and camping all over - they should have suction cups in their gloves and grapple hooks in their belts.
And while grapple hooks may look crappy, we could at least allow them to wallgrab. And maybe even shoot a single pistol:) Or snipe!

-------------------

Fire Mines - like sonics except fire:) Shooting them also sets them off - unlike sonics which just destroys them.

-------------------

Mando fuel - should be able to be spilled and then set ablaze with blaster shots. So you could coat a surface area or even a player with fuel and then set them on fire by shooting them, flaming them or sabering them. Sabers ignite fuel! That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!

------------------

Heavy Flame Mando - Two hands, two gauntlets, double the fuel consumptin rate but double the size and ferocity of the flame. Would not be able to purchase much else beyond it:)

------------------

Sonics stick to walls. Why not people? Or do only pulses count? Discrimination!

------------------

Mind trick - double the duration with melee out!

-------------------

Lightning - if used against frag nades/rockets - sets them/makes them explode on contact!!!!!!!!!!!!! See, even a lightning user can be useful against nades. A bit risky but hey, grow a pair and pretend your a man. That goes for the girls among you too.

-------------------

Chaos for President

Status
Not open for further replies.