Pole on server side modifications

Do you think server side modifications should be allowed onto the master server list?

• Yes.

Votes: 51 81.0%
  • No.

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
You've been given several answers as to why, but you are still free to discuss. Just not rave about it in the wrong place - i.e. the support area of discord since you're not actually after support.

If we are talking about serverside modifications like the ones N/A offered, then absolutely yes.
I already know why the devs took down their servers and I’m not here to argue that, but still N/A deserves some credit.
Regardless of the origin of their modifications, their servers proved to be a big success and offered a very fun and refreshing experience, both for noobs and old veterans like myself. I think it would be great to see some servers like that around.

The devs believe that n/a FFA could kill the game, lower the playerbase. They don't realize that when they killed the server (by removing it from the master list) many people left the game because they really liked the FFA thing. It had potential for being an official game mode (especially with the FFA centered rebalances that had been posted there) but instead of that they just shuted it down.

I already said I would have personally preferred to see the server run out of gas. And I talk about the short lifespan so certainly because I've seen the exact same thing happen to TF2 x10 servers. At the creation of the first server, it was booming. It was marvelous to see all the ridiculous stuff that happened and TF2 wide arsenal of weapons made it even better. But after a while it just starting to die down and it stopped being fun. Instead of using random weapons for the fun of it, people just started using only certain weapons due to the broken and unbalanced nature of the mode. Last time I checked the x10 server I used to play on, it had 0 players. And don't even get me started on the x20 and x50 and x100 servers that tried to outperform each other
btw I played in X10 servers in TF2 (before valve kinda ruined the TF experience for me) and GOD some X10 Begar's Bazooka never gets old XD . There are still many X10 or X50 or X9001 servers that are active so your argument may be kinda invalid (at least your example). And also, yea people do use random weapons in it (like the brass beast XD )

2cwldys

Donator
Internal Beta Team
If you guys miss the FFA server, FrenzY over at Elite Warriors would love to have you (We have the Bespin Brawl Server) it's legit the closest thing you've got to a minimum-admin involved 'lame' fest with a mixture of lightning and fun backwhacking.

Just remember that we ask you respect those who honor duel on the sith spawn platform, and just be overall a really nice person.

It's really refreshing every once in a while to see, "yU LAMED ME WTF, BAN THE LAMUR!!" and laugh it off because we like to FFA.
I'm not sure what the 'serverside modifications' did, but I think this is really close enough at the moment. Cheers!

Alot of people share the opinion that because N/A was fairly popular for the time that it existed, it must have meant that it was either doing something right or that it was very good however I'm more than convinced that (like you said) if the devs hadn't touched the server and left it, it would have died out within a couple of weeks and would have the traffic of about 5 players max like once a week, and that would have benefited them more than shutting it down pre-maturely.

The design of ridiculous moments in games is only something that works in short term periods; that's why I used the word 'moments'. This ties in with the idea of 'quiet time' which if you want info on, I'd reccomend watching a great video that Super Bunnyhop made on the topic. I don't expect anyone to watch the whole video but skip to 1:34 to the most relevant part of what I'm about to say.

Just replace "Saint's Row" with "N/A server" and you'll probably understand what I'm getting at.
"The whole [game mode] is a non-stop barrage of over-the-top action [...] and it isn't evenly distributed [...], without some more spacing between the ridiculousness, it's hard to [...] appreciate the loudness of the action so that we can be prepared for it and understand why it's important"

Is a constant flurry of explosives raining from every side of dotf bad? No, it isn't. However after a while it just get's boring and fustrating. MB2's limited lives mechanic means regular Open gameplay is well balanced between action and silence. The atmoshphere of being the last survior on your team, creeping through the map constantly on alert to any sort of sound or sight that might betray the alert of an enemy nearby is great, and is neccasary after tense shoot outs between teams in corridors or chokepoints.

N/A isnt even something new, !RTE exists and it's pretty fun. It's official, not buggy, has way more options for fun and mainly isn't something that the devs are against.

Edit: Also, the title thread is honestly misleading since it isn't really about server-side modifications but just an attempt to revitalise the previous thread about N/A
The video rants about a specific type of games, it says it right after the part you wanted us to see (narrative driven action games)

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
But it did not have the potential to be an official game mode. Official means it's done by us.

But it did not have the potential to be an official game mode. Official means it's done by us.
Sorry, what I meant was it had potential to be examined by you (the devs) in order to be implemented with rebalances (specific to that game mode) after CTF. You know be an inspiration for a FFA game mode. It might have still been in development at the time of n/a's downfall

Sorry, what I meant was it had potential to be examined by you (the devs) in order to be implemented with rebalances (specific to that game mode) after CTF. You know be an inspiration for a FFA game mode. It might have still been in development at the time of n/a's downfall
The modded version that is

If you guys miss the FFA server, FrenzY over at Elite Warriors would love to have you (We have the Bespin Brawl Server) it's legit the closest thing you've got to a minimum-admin involved 'lame' fest with a mixture of lightning and fun backwhacking.

Just remember that we ask you respect those who honor duel on the sith spawn platform, and just be overall a really nice person.

It's really refreshing every once in a while to see, "yU LAMED ME WTF, BAN THE LAMUR!!" and laugh it off because we like to FFA.
I'm not sure what the 'serverside modifications' did, but I think this is really close enough at the moment. Cheers!
I really enjoy Bespin brawl, i just wish there was a server with a map rotation. When n/a was alive, I had a shit ton of fun on classic jedi temple

they still believe only 10 people want FFA, i have given up :(
Well, you are wrong my friend. There are around 50 people in n/a's discord (as well as people who were in n/a's server that didn't join the discord) + all the people who are on FreanzY's server. All the people above love FFA. (Also never give up on anything my man)

Feels hard/pointless commentting here anymore since this basically became a circlejerk thread.

Btw, why can you devs have modded servers with 100mb points and we can't? I'd love to know why

eezstreet

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Honest to goodness question - why not allow the ability to change the master server that the game routes to, on the client? Either officially sanctioned by the developers or put into a modified client by a third party person. Most servers in existence already post their status to master.jkhub.org, the official Ravensoft one, AND the MB2 one, so really all that someone needs to do is modify the UI to be able to switch what master server gets probed. We've already concluded a long time ago that the developers are going to aggressively remove whatever servers they don't like, whether that be ones that are rumored to dox people or ones that are modified. Or like they were talking about on Discord some time ago, they were wanting to de-list servers like tR Deffstar and AoD Pandemonium which ran certain maps 24/7. It makes no sense to petition the developers when this can already be solved without their intervention, to my knowledge.

Official versions of OpenJK have this ability (through a separate PK3), and other mods do it, so I don't see any reason why people can't just be like "fuck em, we'll make our own master server with blackjacks and hookers," aside from the technical skill required to make such a switcher, of course. I'm struggling to remember the exact cvars and commands to do it, but a cursory look through the code should be enough to jog my memory.

You can see what servers are on the JKHub Master Server here. The only ones I don't see on there are tR servers, but I'm not sure if that's either due to an old blacklisting or their configuration. M.A.F. Hangout is there, the official ones are there, AoD is there, etc. If it's not listed there, it could be due to a bad configuration on that server. But considering AoD has been using the same configuration for years on Pandemonium, I can't imagine that it's anything recent.

Status
Not open for further replies.