Pole on server side modifications

Do you think server side modifications should be allowed onto the master server list?

• Yes.

Votes: 51 81.0%
  • No.

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I just have bad taste left in my mouth from current lugor mod where everyone is given free lvl40 from the beginning making the whole mod a senseless ffa. I would not want to see mb2 suffer the same fate. But maybe it would be different with mb2 who knows but I am not too eager to find out who is right about it in such fragile and small community such as this.

This is exactly one of the things we have been saying. This happened to OJP & FM3 as well. We learned the lesson from other mods.

The irony in this though is that I’ve heard some ppl blame mb2 for the death of jka multiplayer.

Oh my, I completely forgot about that little tidbit because it has been a good 8 years or so since I have heard it but I also definitely heard it as well a couple times.

I am also going to copy what I posted on discord, since I lost track of who and where I have said it to, even though I am sure I have been saying it since day 1 but want to make sure everyone is aware because they keep talking about the gameplay/ffa part of it. When that isn't close to the whole story or reason.

[3:21 PM]MaceMadunusus:
this is my first response to Yoshi when he messaged me after wards (we were trying to get in contact with him before we took the server down)
[3:21 PM]MaceMadunusus:
[9:45 AM] BigBoss1990: So don't go harsh on me :) I'm rly just 25 days old here and totally new to any rules, conduct or whatever, and I'm just sad nobody ever talked to me first before taking harsh action on me
[9:49 AM] MaceMadunusus: Well we don't particularly allow any servers with binary modifications. We have no way of verifying their integrity and what was modified. So we have no way of knowing if any of the modifications are malicious so we remove any servers we know with code modifications. Assets/maps are fine as they generally don't have the same effect as code mods do.
[3:22 PM]MaceMadunusus:
literally the first thing i said the day of to the server owner himself.

I can easily verify that this is indeed the first actual thing I said to him other than saying "hi" when he first messaged me (I didn't know who it was at first).

Here is another part of the conversation where we are discussing removal of the server. This is bit is roughly 6 hours before we removed it. Some of the rest has been redacted for obvious reasons.

defiant [10:03 AM] Whats worse, we don't know what else the server could be doing. Could there be a ----------- in the client we don't know about that a hacked server is exploting to do malicious things to a players computer
macemadunusus [10:05 AM] But yeah it is a big concern that there could be modifications we don't know about.

We have had servers in the past that we have had to remove from the server list because their sole purpose was to be used to get information from players and to use it against those players. This worry isn't new for us and isn't unwarranted. And we have as recently as a few months ago had to patch some of the vulnerabilities that those servers exposed.

So one of the biggest things here is that we cannot verify the integrity of something that is modified, and we cannot constantly babysit something that is modified (because it could change to be malicious after we have "verified" it) while we also cannot mark the server as being "unofficial" on the server list currently. So we really don't have a choice even if we believe the owner of a server is genuine (he really did seem like a good/nice dude) because there is more to protect than just what we believe is the standard gameplay wise.

Of course it's 50 yes when you post a link on n/a discord and a bunch of ppl jump on to vote yes. You can easily go on another discord where people disagree with it, ask them to vote, and get 50 no's. Polls are generally unreliable.
I also posted the poll several times in the MBII discord. Also the n/a discord, after the fall of its servers, has had many inactive members (Maybe a couple dozen or more). Thus, there aren't 50 maybe not even 15 active members in that discord.

I also posted the poll several times in the MBII discord. Also the n/a discord, after the fall of its servers, has had many inactive members (Maybe a couple dozen or more). Thus, there aren't 50 maybe not even 15 active members in that discord.

People are always more vocal about things they dislike than things they like. Those u rally up because it impacted u guys negatively will come on forum and vote in their favor, while those that don't care or disagree won't really bother. This is me judging from experience in this game on how the community reacts to devs decision making. You will always have vocal minorities appearing large and creating the false sense of urgency or importance when in reality it's just a fraction that will sooner or later tone down and MB2 will keep moving as usual.
Also just because someone is inactive on discord, doesn't mean they didn't see the poll and voted as u guys suggested or implied.

I never shared the link to this thread poll anywhere if that's what you are implying.

Thank you very much good man. But do you have anything useful left to say regarding the topic or are we done here? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.