Pole on server side modifications

Do you think server side modifications should be allowed onto the master server list?

• Yes.

Votes: 51 81.0%
  • No.

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow MB2 enthusiasts, following this thread "Why did the FFA Hangout server disappear?", i'm curious and interested in what is the community view about server side modifications and their inclusion into the master server list is.

From the thread listed above we know the actual position of the devellopement team on the matter, which is a no-no for various reasons such as :

- Modifications are making the server not work correctly ( not breaking it as far as not being able to play on it but bringing new bugs ) which would reflect badly on the official mod and where the devs team would have to either : tell people this is an unsupported version of the mod or spreading ressources to help the server.
- Overall modifications made to the server do not reflect the true idendity of the mod.
- Fear of many servers starting their own modifications if allowed to do so, which could lead to possible boredom from thoses servers after some time and a greneral depopulation of official servers resulting from it.

I'm sure i'm missing others reasons, my apologies for that but i think it is a vast subject and i'm ready to edit it if i can have a clear list of reasons why it shouldn't be allowed.
I'm also hoping i'm not mischaracterizing them, i invite you to read the thread linked above for Defiant exact answer on the issue.

For those wondering, i'm making this pole to firstly know what the community stance is about it and second depending on the results i do have a the feintest hope to make the devs team think about it again, the choice being entirely in their hands.
This might go out as being annoying to certain people but ohwell, my position on the subject can also be found on the thread listed above.

Thanks for anyone taking the time to vote, any commentary on the subject is appreciated. Pole will be open for 2 weeks.

The least you could have done was put a gif or vid of some Star Wars pole-dancing. I refuse to respond until such criteria are met.

That's right. You've given me an excuse to post it again.

t(-_-)t

I myself joined in the period n/a was alive and loved it immediately, not because of the mods, but rather the server managment in general. Afterwards, wherever I went, laming cocks, flaming puberty victims etc etc.. Spending again 80% of the game either in spec or trying to find a decently populated and at least half-normal server with no rtards in it.. I won't even talk about how cool duel mode was without the timer, but nah, enough of that, devs might jump in and shit on me for mentioning how stupid the timed duel mode is ^^'

Anyways, bring back n/a! >:-( the lads didn't hurt anyone nor bring any damage to the community or servers/game in general :mad:
None of the devs' statements are 'live', meaning nothing of what the oposing side of the n/a's idea said (would ruin the game, unbalance it, lose players) has happened; how about you take actions WHEN it happens and when you have proof it's gonna happen? Only proof I've seen is people leaving pissed off at the game, devs and similar to take a break and play other stuff than this, whereas during n/a, it was obvious that many played in there and still other servers were also fully populated -> meaning it added to playercount (if anything, made people play longer in hours as they rather PLAY than stay in spec after a TK or whatever). Just my totally unimportant opinion :D xd

Sorry for the long post, take this dildo saber as compensation: c=================llllllllll-llllllll

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
O0KRMSbESLWsL5o3owOcMw.png

Couldn't resist.

Yes, they should.
No, I'm retired.

That's all.

I myself joined in the period n/a was alive and loved it immediately, not because of the mods, but rather the server managment in general. Afterwards, wherever I went, laming cocks, flaming puberty victims etc etc.. Spending again 80% of the game either in spec or trying to find a decently populated and at least half-normal server with no rtards in it.. I won't even talk about how cool duel mode was without the timer, but nah, enough of that, devs might jump in and shit on me for mentioning how stupid the timed duel mode is ^^'

Anyways, bring back n/a! >:-( the lads didn't hurt anyone nor bring any damage to the community or servers/game in general :mad:
None of the devs' statements are 'live', meaning nothing of what the oposing side of the n/a's idea said (would ruin the game, unbalance it, lose players) has happened; how about you take actions WHEN it happens and when you have proof it's gonna happen? Only proof I've seen is people leaving pissed off at the game, devs and similar to take a break and play other stuff than this, whereas during n/a, it was obvious that many played in there and still other servers were also fully populated -> meaning it added to playercount (if anything, made people play longer in hours as they rather PLAY than stay in spec after a TK or whatever). Just my totally unimportant opinion :D xd

Alot of people share the opinion that because N/A was fairly popular for the time that it existed, it must have meant that it was either doing something right or that it was very good however I'm more than convinced that (like you said) if the devs hadn't touched the server and left it, it would have died out within a couple of weeks and would have the traffic of about 5 players max like once a week, and that would have benefited them more than shutting it down pre-maturely.

The design of ridiculous moments in games is only something that works in short term periods; that's why I used the word 'moments'. This ties in with the idea of 'quiet time' which if you want info on, I'd reccomend watching a great video that Super Bunnyhop made on the topic. I don't expect anyone to watch the whole video but skip to 1:34 to the most relevant part of what I'm about to say.

Just replace "Saint's Row" with "N/A server" and you'll probably understand what I'm getting at.
"The whole [game mode] is a non-stop barrage of over-the-top action [...] and it isn't evenly distributed [...], without some more spacing between the ridiculousness, it's hard to [...] appreciate the loudness of the action so that we can be prepared for it and understand why it's important"

Is a constant flurry of explosives raining from every side of dotf bad? No, it isn't. However after a while it just get's boring and fustrating. MB2's limited lives mechanic means regular Open gameplay is well balanced between action and silence. The atmoshphere of being the last survior on your team, creeping through the map constantly on alert to any sort of sound or sight that might betray the alert of an enemy nearby is great, and is neccasary after tense shoot outs between teams in corridors or chokepoints.

N/A isnt even something new, !RTE exists and it's pretty fun. It's official, not buggy, has way more options for fun and mainly isn't something that the devs are against.

Edit: Also, the title thread is honestly misleading since it isn't really about server-side modifications but just an attempt to revitalise the previous thread about N/A

O0KRMSbESLWsL5o3owOcMw.png

Couldn't resist.

Yes, they should.
No, I'm retired.

That's all.

I'm done lol close the internet.. But still yeah, convincing numbers lol
And Tylenon, appreciate your long reply, and yeah, watched it, tho n/a has had quiet time as well, for example jedi temple, it was obvious where the fight was happening and where people were just running and having fun gathering and whatever. Now look at it this side, that map in particular is so cool now with the bugs fixed (sound of the jedi kids), but there no time to fully explore and enjoy that map in any of the current mods with the timer in particular in this case.
There's million and one reason n/a can be liked and given a chance to see what will happen, and yes, there are also some against, but isn't it worth a try until we see results or consequences? What would it cost? Whom would it hurt? Who would lose (except trolls that are happy obviously). But AGAIN, my unimportant opinion lol

PS sorry for my shit quoting, I have no idea how this works lol, but yeah, this drawing goes into 'pic of the day' :D

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
@Tylenol could not have said it better myself. It would be like eating your favorite food everyday for breakfast, lunch, supper and evening snack. There has to be pacing to make things interesting.

Edit:

@ZuZo it would hurt the mod, because the player base is not that big. Having a game mod that divides the population and empties regular servers could do some major damage.

Last edited:
@Tylenol could not have said it better myself. It would be like eating your favorite food everyday for breakfast, lunch, supper and evening snack. There has to be pacing to make things interesting.
It might be so, but you have every right to do so. Plus n/a had some minor changes to the classes so that it had a more interesting twist than the stock classes (since they aren't designed for this). And just for the record, n/a wasn't only about *FFA FFA FFA* there was some goofing around (role playing and stuff) between FFA-ing.

Edit:

@ZuZo it would hurt the mod, because the player base is not that big. Having a game mod that divides the population and empties regular servers could do some major damage.
@Gargos 'could could could could could' - exactly what I stated many times before, let's take action WHEN and IF it happens, it also COULD increase the playerbase, it COULD increase intrest in this mod, it COULD expand this mod and the community, it COULD drive thousands of oldschool jka players in with rp elements (which are NOT hard to meet, only remove the timer in duel and 90% is done - what n/a did in both open and duel). So again, only my opinion what COULD happen :-D

@Gargos 'could could could could could' - exactly what I stated many times before, let's take action WHEN and IF it happens, it also COULD increase the playerbase, it COULD increase intrest in this mod, it COULD expand this mod and the community, it COULD drive thousands of oldschool jka players in with rp elements (which are NOT hard to meet, only remove the timer in duel and 90% is done - what n/a did in both open and duel). So again, only my opinion what COULD happen :-D
I agree with you ZuZo, but removing the timer wasn't the only change. No TK, only one armor for SBDs no Dekas are just a few of the many other changes that made it work. No timer was kinda insignificant imo. And I think the devs should do a game mode like this timer or no timer.

Give me 1 good reason why it shouldn't be allowed to exist

"It was gonna die anyway" is not a valid argument. You can say the same about MB2 as a whole, but we aren't shutting it down simply because it's gonna die 1 day in the future
It was gonna die isn't the argument, the argument and point is that NA FFA was a shitpost of a server mod and has no long term life span or contributions. Just sounds like you read the first paragraph and commented

I understand the whole point of "let's wait it out and then act" but the could stuff is ridiculous. A server that has the enjoyment span of 30 minutes, might attract more players, but it doesn't hold them. The proper way to attract and keep players would be to implement some sort of new way to play the game that has depth.

It was gonna die isn't the argument, the argument and point is that NA FFA was a shitpost of a server mod and has no long term life span or contributions. Just sounds like you read the first paragraph and commented
How do you know it had no long term potential? Have you been to the future?

Even if we assume that you were 100% right with your original post, that doesn't justify shutting it down. If you are so sure it's shit, why not just let it die naturally? You said it has a short lifespan, right? Then if you are right, it should be fine to just let it be and watch it crumble, right? Right?

How do you know it had no long term potential? Have you been to the future?

Even if we assume that you were 100% right with your original post, that's doesn't justify shutting it down. If you are so sure it's shit, why not just let it die naturally? You said it has a short lifespan, right? Then if you are right, it should be fine to just let it be and watch it crumble, right? Right?

I already said I would have personally preferred to see the server run out of gas. And I talk about the short lifespan so certainly because I've seen the exact same thing happen to TF2 x10 servers. At the creation of the first server, it was booming. It was marvelous to see all the ridiculous stuff that happened and TF2 wide arsenal of weapons made it even better. But after a while it just starting to die down and it stopped being fun. Instead of using random weapons for the fun of it, people just started using only certain weapons due to the broken and unbalanced nature of the mode. Last time I checked the x10 server I used to play on, it had 0 players. And don't even get me started on the x20 and x50 and x100 servers that tried to outperform each other

I already said I would have personally preferred to see the server run out of gas. And I talk about the short lifespan so certainly because I've seen the exact same thing happen to TF2 x10 servers. At the creation of the first server, it was booming. It was marvelous to see all the ridiculous stuff that happened and TF2 wide arsenal of weapons made it even better. But after a while it just starting to die down and it stopped being fun. Instead of using random weapons for the fun of it, people just started using only certain weapons due to the broken and unbalanced nature of the mode. Last time I checked the x10 server I used to play on, it had 0 players. And don't even get me started on the x20 and x50 and x100 servers that tried to outperform each other
This isn't TF2. It may have worked, it may not have worked, but it was simply shut down instead.

Why? Can you answer this simple question? Why shut it down?

This isn't TF2. It may have worked, it may not have worked, but it was simply shut down instead.
Why? Can you answer this simple question? Why shut it down?
This isn't TF2 but they're still similar situations and I would have expected the same outcome. They're both ridiculous modifications that completely throw balance out the window by making everything overpowered.

Are you gonna do a K4 where you just ignore me everytime I repeat that I would have preferred the server to stay up and see what would happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.