MBII Development: Looking to the future

logo_mb.png

There has been an awakening.....have you felt it?

Hello MBII Community!

Like Hexodious mentioned in this post, we at the MBII team are hoping to change the MBII direction to be more focused to new features rather than re-inventing the wheel by continuously editing existing features. After all, as a wise saying goes, "if it's not broken, don't fix it!".

With Rogue One approaching, this is an excellent opportunity to pull up our sleeves and start implementing a number of features that have been in our drawing board for far too long. To do this we aim, as Hex said, to first freeze the Jedi/Sith lightsaber mechanics for the foreseeable future, something that we are currently working on.

After the Jedi/Sith mechanics are frozen, our plans include, but are not limited to:
  • New game modes, including the neglected child (Conquest) and the much demanded Class Limit feature
  • 2 new classes (one for rebels, one for imperials)
  • An SBD re-vamp (can you imagine a running SBD? We can!)
  • And of course, new maps and models from the upcoming films

We are excited and enthusiastic in working on these new things, but unfortunately our enthusiasm is not enough to make wonderful MBII things happen. As you know, MBII development is entirely voluntary and depends greatly on everyone's free time and availability. Our current resources are limited so completing all of these features will take a very long time, or may not happen at all. That's why we need your help!

We are looking for members of our community to support our efforts and help us realize our dreams for significant upgrade to MBII, by joining the Development Team with the aim of working on these specific features.

We are looking, in order of priority, for:

1. UI designers, to help re-vamp the current UI as needed (e.g. to include new classes) and improve performance.
  2. 2D and 3D modelers and animators, to help with the models for the new classes, and help creating or adapting new models for upcoming films.
  3. Coders to work on the new game modes and the new classes.
  4. Mappers to work on unfinished map projects and create new maps based on the upcoming films.
  5. Support and promotion partners, to help with the influx of new players after Rogue One is released, and hopefully keep most of them as permanent MBII junkies!
  6. Beta Testers! As you all know, bugs are everywhere, so help us obliterate them before releases! Also, the development of new game modes greatly depends on having enough testers to properly test them under normal game play conditions. The modes cannot be developed without testers.

Specifics for the requirements of Developer positions can be found here. If you have the required skills, or are willing to learn, apply!

For Beta Testers, the details are here. You have no excuse not to apply, as you don't need to have a specific skill other than love for MBII!

We look forward to hearing from you, as you awaken with us! May the Force be with MBII.

Why not gungans? Because of hatred of Jar Jar specifically? Because of a broader prequel hatred? Aside from Jar Jar, Gungans are actually pretty badass and unique, with their agility, and aquaticness, and interesting design (stalk eyes and long ears), and unique technologies (their shield tech, underwater cities, weird ball explosives and "primitive" usage of spears and animals). And besides, Jar Jar isn't honestly the absolute worst character ever, himself. He's just a really strange/bad decision in the context of the films. But out of context, he's just a not-terrible comic relief character.
sort of,no,and no.
Personal opinion,but they aren't that badass and have an unique design,about everyone(even in the Old Republic)has shield tech or stuff like that,and their aquatic abilities would,in game,only work in certain maps(the most useful use of that "ability" IF they add it in game would be in Yavin,and god knows how many people play that),and even Ewoks have spears and other races use animals(like Luke used the Tauntaun in the 5th movie).
(almost unrelated P.S about Jar Jar:i don't get how he's a comic relief character if his scenes are like 90% spouting nonsense and dodging attacks luckily with a weird voice,at least in the first prequel)

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
New class for Rebels is neither Ewok nor Gungan. It's something even better..something everyone's been dreaming of..a wampa that's a dedicated hugging medic with only melee and contact nades thrown at random!..
A masterpiece. Thank you for this.

:^)

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Mentioning wampa made me think: what if Rebs got a class that was as non-humanoid as Deka is, like, a tauntaun. Carry your teammates into battle. Take the barging/tackling thing off the wooks and put it on tauntauns. Sprint around real fast.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
um_bespin has a tauntaun that does exactly that.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
As a vehicle? Or as an actual playable class?

(for reference, I'm not suggesting it with any seriousness, although, I do like just throwing ideas out, either way. Even a bad idea with some interesting aspects at least runs a good chance of inspiring an actually good idea in some listener.)

(being a playable mount would create a very silly new kind of teamwork. Really, in practice, the rider would be more like just an intelligent turret mounted on top of a Wookiee. Or, of course, people would only ride the Tauntaun player to quickly rollout to a destination. Again: certainly a bad idea overall, but it has some interesting elements.)

Sammy

Master of Whispers
Donator
So you can't play the tauntaun and carry other players around, but you can mount it just like you can mount those in siege game mode in base JKA and ride it?
You can only ride it as yourself. As far as I know it's a solo mount, yes.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
The um_bespin one functions mechanically the same as the default ones (though I don't remember if the default can barge people over but it's funny regardless).

inb4 piggyback riding Porkins becomes a feature

What I'm thinking and what Oddle is thinking is that you choose taun taun from the class menu, and that you move it around without yourself or anyone as the rider, but you move the taun taun itself alone - you are the taun taun. The other players can then hop on you and you can carry them around and they can attack from your back.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
^ correct, that is what i was saying, but, at the same time, i don't stand behind it as a "good idea" by any stretch. I think it's an unspoken (or maybe: spoken) rule about MB2 classes that they can't be TOO directly "support-focused," they have to have some raw damage capability as well, and I think even with considerable bludgeoning strength, Tauntaun would still be too gimmicky by being unable to play a "firepower" role. But I'm glad you think it's a fun idea, since I think it's a fun idea too.

Relatedly, I was also thinking Astromechs could be another way to parallel Deka's "non-humanoid status" for Rebels, but I couldn't think of a way to get an Astromech to have the required firepower. R2 is shown as having a saw blade arm, an electro-shock arm, and the ability to spew a ton of oil and then light it on fire with his jetpack legs, but none of that is really intuitively damaging enough to let R2 have a true "firepower" role. Chopper (from Rebels) is shown in at least one scene as literally wielding guns in his little robot head-arms, but I think that would look too silly.

Unrelatedly, but on topic inasmuch as we're rambling about little ideas for the future of MB2: Why on earth are the good guys the red team in MB2? The only real explanation I can think of is that the rebel insignia is usually shown as red, but... it's really the light side vs the dark side, and the light side is definitely more of the "blue" side.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Unrelatedly, but on topic inasmuch as we're rambling about little ideas for the future of MB2: Why on earth are the good guys the red team in MB2? The only real explanation I can think of is that the rebel insignia is usually shown as red, but... it's really the light side vs the dark side, and the light side is definitely more of the "blue" side.

I haven't played base JKA in ages, but I think it's this way just because that's the way it was in base JKA siege. The MB2 gamemode is just an overhaul of base siege.