MBII Development: Looking to the future

Discussion in 'Developer Diaries' started by Viserys, Dec 8, 2016.

1. S o l d i e r

S o l d i e r

Poor Jar Jar.

2. Viserys

Viserys ex team lead Movie Battles II Team Retired

Indeed they can and they do

3. TadekRaeod

TadekRaeod

sort of,no,and no.
    Personal opinion,but they aren't that badass and have an unique design,about everyone(even in the Old Republic)has shield tech or stuff like that,and their aquatic abilities would,in game,only work in certain maps(the most useful use of that "ability" IF they add it in game would be in Yavin,and god knows how many people play that),and even Ewoks have spears and other races use animals(like Luke used the Tauntaun in the 5th movie).
    (almost unrelated P.S about Jar Jar:i don't get how he's a comic relief character if his scenes are like 90% spouting nonsense and dodging attacks luckily with a weird voice,at least in the first prequel)

4. SK5

SK5 Donator Moderator Internal Beta Team

Im betting that the new reb class will be Ewok or Gungan, either way both of these sound troll af and im pretty sure @Bob-Billy will be pleased.

5. Tempest

Tempest coding in Wonderland Movie Battles II Team

New class for Rebels is neither Ewok nor Gungan. It's something even better..something everyone's been dreaming of..a wampa that's a dedicated hugging medic with only melee and contact nades thrown at random!..

6. Sammy

Sammy Master of Whispers Donator

A masterpiece. Thank you for this.

:^)

7. SK5

SK5 Donator Moderator Internal Beta Team

wookie 2.0

8. Lessen

Lessen Childpuncher Movie Battles II Team

Mentioning wampa made me think: what if Rebs got a class that was as non-humanoid as Deka is, like, a tauntaun. Carry your teammates into battle. Take the barging/tackling thing off the wooks and put it on tauntauns. Sprint around real fast.

9. S o l d i e r

S o l d i e r

That would be really cool.

10. Sammy

Also imo unnecessary, that'd just be kind of weird to watch lol.

11. S o l d i e r

S o l d i e r

Would be really cool if some FA map had that.

12. Tempest

um_bespin has a tauntaun that does exactly that.

13. Lessen

As a vehicle? Or as an actual playable class?

(for reference, I'm not suggesting it with any seriousness, although, I do like just throwing ideas out, either way. Even a bad idea with some interesting aspects at least runs a good chance of inspiring an actually good idea in some listener.)

(being a playable mount would create a very silly new kind of teamwork. Really, in practice, the rider would be more like just an intelligent turret mounted on top of a Wookiee. Or, of course, people would only ride the Tauntaun player to quickly rollout to a destination. Again: certainly a bad idea overall, but it has some interesting elements.)

14. Sammy

You can ride it, knock people over, have your saber out while you're on it. Quite fun.

15. S o l d i e r

S o l d i e r

So you can't play the tauntaun and carry other players around, but you can mount it just like you can mount those in siege game mode in base JKA and ride it?

16. Sammy

You can only ride it as yourself. As far as I know it's a solo mount, yes.

17. Tempest

The um_bespin one functions mechanically the same as the default ones (though I don't remember if the default can barge people over but it's funny regardless).

inb4 piggyback riding Porkins becomes a feature

18. S o l d i e r

S o l d i e r

What I'm thinking and what Oddle is thinking is that you choose taun taun from the class menu, and that you move it around without yourself or anyone as the rider, but you move the taun taun itself alone - you are the taun taun. The other players can then hop on you and you can carry them around and they can attack from your back.

19. Lessen

^ correct, that is what i was saying, but, at the same time, i don't stand behind it as a "good idea" by any stretch. I think it's an unspoken (or maybe: spoken) rule about MB2 classes that they can't be TOO directly "support-focused," they have to have some raw damage capability as well, and I think even with considerable bludgeoning strength, Tauntaun would still be too gimmicky by being unable to play a "firepower" role. But I'm glad you think it's a fun idea, since I think it's a fun idea too.

Relatedly, I was also thinking Astromechs could be another way to parallel Deka's "non-humanoid status" for Rebels, but I couldn't think of a way to get an Astromech to have the required firepower. R2 is shown as having a saw blade arm, an electro-shock arm, and the ability to spew a ton of oil and then light it on fire with his jetpack legs, but none of that is really intuitively damaging enough to let R2 have a true "firepower" role. Chopper (from Rebels) is shown in at least one scene as literally wielding guns in his little robot head-arms, but I think that would look too silly.

Unrelatedly, but on topic inasmuch as we're rambling about little ideas for the future of MB2: Why on earth are the good guys the red team in MB2? The only real explanation I can think of is that the rebel insignia is usually shown as red, but... it's really the light side vs the dark side, and the light side is definitely more of the "blue" side.

Prototype XT81 likes this.
  20. StarWarsGeek

StarWarsGeek Internal Beta Team

I haven't played base JKA in ages, but I think it's this way just because that's the way it was in base JKA siege. The MB2 gamemode is just an overhaul of base siege.

Lessen likes this.