Make classic dotf playable again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks.

I think it really sucks for the people who didn't take part of it, but I now praise Mace for doing something like this, as much as I hate it.

I personally wouldn't prefer this approach, because I don't see it leading to anything. In fact, the trolls who made mace mad could be WINNING because this is exactly what they want.

I am concerned about the possibility of the return of DOTF 24/7 Servers - As many people that hate that DOTF classic isn't available, orders of magnitude more players quit because of DOTF 24/7, but considering we now have deathstart 24/7 this is probably a separate issue.

People seem to have selectively forgotten how everyone was constantly bitching about the classic DOTF map being overplayed claiming it was a shit/troll map, basically, or the people complaining now were not around at the time, I don't know which of the two.
Either way, I'm looking forward to playing the latest revision of the V2, good luck with it Mace.

People seem to have selectively forgotten how everyone was constantly bitching about the classic DOTF map being overplayed
Oh man I forgot about that. Now that it's not really in the map pool it's nice to see some diversity on the server list.
The best parts of my gameplay were maps like echobase, tatooine, cloud city, or even the weird maps like those CMP or whatever maps made by that weird storm trooper troll guy.

People seem to have selectively forgotten how everyone was constantly bitching about the classic DOTF map being overplayed claiming it was a shit/troll map, basically, or the people complaining now were not around at the time, I don't know which of the two.
Either way, I'm looking forward to playing the latest revision of the V2, good luck with it Mace.

The reason why the old DOTF was played a lot was because people liked it. IT.IS.THAT.SIMPLE. Yeah some people didn't like it being played all the time, but hey, we have RTV now and also people can just go onto another server that isn't on DOTF. Simple.

Preston

Nerd
The reason why the old DOTF was played a lot was because people liked it. IT.IS.THAT.SIMPLE. Yeah some people didn't like it being played all the time, but hey, we have RTV now and also people can just go onto another server that isn't on DOTF. Simple.
^ Agreed. I don't want to get into any drama, but it really is that simple. There was loads of DOTF servers for the simple reason that the majority of players enjoyed DOTF. Yes many people absolutely hated dotf, and that it was on many servers. But overall, more people enjoyed it. It's a pretty simple concept as to why it was played so much. If you don't want to play DOTF, then just go to another server.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
But overall, more people enjoyed it. It's a pretty simple concept as to why it was played so much. If you don't want to play DOTF, then just go to another server.

This is what a lot of people including yourself and frank aren't getting about what others have said. Over the years more people have stopped playing because of people playing the same map. It isn't as simple as just go to another server. Just go to some of the most popular videos on youtube and youll seen numerous complaints about people only playing the same map. More than you will about say the saber system last I checked. It is one of the biggest complaints, and largest things people have quit MB2 and stated something about outside of the toxicity of the community.

So sure, of how many people currently play, those people who enjoyed DOTF might be the majority. But after over 10 years of playing the same map, how many people did it shove out? Quite a lot more from what I have seen. It has only won "majority" because the rest of the people got tired and left.

You can't "just go to another server" when the top servers the past few years have been 24/7 death star or 24/7 dotf. When does this dumb argument end. It takes extra time to populate a server, and a large majority of the people don't want to wait. The only reason servers like EW consistently get to do other stuff, is because they're extremely coordinated.

Should I add it back only under the idea that 24/7 servers end? Because I know I am fucking tired of seeing the complaints about people paying the same map all the time, and how many people that shoves out of the community and how the rest of the community who only plays those maps completely fails to acknowledge how big of a part of the overall public perception of this mod that idea plays.

Last edited:
Somehow force servers to have more than just 1 map on rotation if at all possible. Either way I would like to see a return of the old dotf, i would prefer it over death star.

Yay more "I don't know what I'm talking about". Because you definitely need to rename and change some texture paths, recompile the map, etc for proper compatibility. Definitely takes 5 minutes (not).

Yes you can get it to work without that, but not without the two maps interfering with eachother.
it would take 1 minute actually. we already have olddotf pk3 and its working fine

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
it would take 1 minute actually. we already have olddotf pk3 and its working fine

You forgot who helped make that, and how long it took to explain to k4far how to create that. And he didn't get all the conflicts while doing that. It isn't that simple, stop acting like it is and stop acting like you know shit. Just because you haven't worked with something and because you aren't directly looking for it, doesn't mean the conflicts and other issues aren't there that that PK3 does not fix.

Even if I do the fix right this very moment, it won't be in the release for weeks anyway. Gotta wait for a patch.

You forgot who helped make that, and how long it took to explain to k4far how to create that. And he didn't get all the conflicts while doing that. It isn't that simple, stop acting like it is and stop acting like you know shit. Just because you haven't worked with something and because you aren't directly looking for it, doesn't mean the conflicts and other issues aren't there that that PK3 does not fix.

Even if I do the fix right this very moment, it won't be in the release for weeks anyway. Gotta wait for a patch.
stop making excuses and bring back most popular map in the game

You can't "just go to another server" when the top servers the past few years have been 24/7 death star or 24/7 dotf. When does this dumb argument end. It takes extra time to populate a server, and a large majority of the people don't want to wait. The only reason servers like EW consistently get to do other stuff, is because they're extremely coordinated.
Before DOTFV2, there was usually two full servers on EU and NA peak times. One 24/7 DOTF server and the other using map rotation or RTV. So in this instance, yes, it is easily done. Of course it would be harder now with a lower population ;)

Last edited:

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Somehow force servers to have more than just 1 map on rotation if at all possible. Either way I would like to see a return of the old dotf, i would prefer it over death star.

Not only could we, it is the topic of this very thread. If you want us to give the players what they want, then we could make you out your money where your mouth is. If we bake in RTV and make it compulsory the players get what they want all the time. If they vote for 24/7 dotf/ds they get it. When they don't vote for that we get rid of all the 24/7 servers which are bad for the game. Or are you all suddenly against player power?

Preston

Nerd
This is what a lot of people including yourself and frank aren't getting about what others have said. Over the years more people have stopped playing because of people playing the same map. It isn't as simple as just go to another server. Just go to some of the most popular videos on youtube and youll seen numerous complaints about people only playing the same map. More than you will about say the saber system last I checked. It is one of the biggest complaints, and largest things people have quit MB2 and stated something about outside of the toxicity of the community.

So sure, of how many people currently play, those people who enjoyed DOTF might be the majority. But after over 10 years of playing the same map, how many people did it shove out? Quite a lot more from what I have seen. It has only won "majority" because the rest of the people got tired and left.

Should I add it back only under the idea that 24/7 servers end? Because I know I am fucking tired of seeing the complaints about people paying the same map all the time, and how many people that shoves out of the community and how the rest of the community who only plays those maps completely fails to acknowledge how big of a part of the overall public perception of this mod that idea plays.
Either way, what I'm saying is the majority did enjoy DOTF more than other map obviously. Otherwise the 24/7 DOTF servers wouldn't of been a thing. That's what I'm getting at. In my opinion, if people want to make DOTF 24/7 servers, why stop them. And like Frank said, there was a RTV server full aswell.

i'm pretty sure dotf V1 wasn't the best map of mb2, popularity != quality
it was considered great by some percent of players, then there were people who considered it good enough, and for some people populated dotf was just better than any empty map (that's me), and there's some people who hate it

why don't we make a survey to get some numbers?

Not only could we, it is the topic of this very thread. If you want us to give the players what they want, then we could make you out your money where your mouth is. If we bake in RTV and make it compulsory the players get what they want all the time. If they vote for 24/7 dotf/ds they get it. When they don't vote for that we get rid of all the 24/7 servers which are bad for the game. Or are you all suddenly against player power?

You should do this as an experiment for a few weeks and collect some data so we can definitely say whether or not Deathstar and DotF servers are the most popular due their maps or some other factor.

Currently I'd say Deathstar is played more than 50% of the time with DotF being around 20-30% percent, leaving around 20-30% for rotation/RTV, duel, and FA servers (in the US. The EU plays a wider variety of maps thanks to RTV servers being fairly popular already.) I don't have the data on this exactly but I'm sure you do.

The null hypothesis is that "Deathstar and DotF are the most played maps on servers due to player enjoyment, and therefore universal RTV should not significantly change the percentage of time played on those maps by players compared to the control (previous data collected)"

The alt. hypothesis is that "Deathstar and DotF are the most played maps on servers due to some factor other than player enjoyment, and therefore universal RTV would significantly change the percentage of time played on those maps by players compared to the control."

If player enjoyment isn't the factor causing these maps to be the most popular on servers, then it's not the objective will of the players keeping these maps popular, and we can definitely say "if the majority of players were given the option to play other maps, they would,"

Preston

Nerd
i'm pretty sure dotf V1 wasn't the best map of mb2, popularity != quality
it was considered great by some percent of players, then there were people who considered it good enough, and for some people populated dotf was just better than any empty map (that's me), and there's some people who hate it

why don't we make a survey to get some numbers?
A small portion of the community is active on the Forums. It wouldn't be an accurate representation I'd say.

how is taking away the ability for private server hosts to select their own map rotation giving power to the players? jesus christ this dev team is fucked. and this is coming from the head dev too. lmao

it's over guys just pack up and move on.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
how is taking away the ability for private server hosts to select their own map rotation giving power to the players? jesus christ this dev team is fucked. and this is coming from the head dev too. lmao

it's over guys just pack up and move on.

This is what you have to say for the years of complaints about servers doing just that to the point where it is probably the #2 complaint about MB2 overall for the last 10 years? Get out of your own ass and figure out a way to fix the problem. I've seen no actual useful comments out of you in a long time.

You do realize RTV has the option to not change maps as well right? You know that a server host can add maps to RTV right? Making RTV required doesn't take away those settings.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
how is taking away the ability for private server hosts to select their own map rotation giving power to the players?

Because the players are the people that play on the server. The clue is kinda in the name. Or is your brand of giving power to the players give power to the players as long as they do what I want?

Status
Not open for further replies.