•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Hud is still stretched out and disproportionate

So I did everything as usual to get widescreen and it is working fine, but I still have a noticeable issue. My hud is still stretched out. I went into setup and found an option called widescreen UI fix or something like that, but that doesn't appear to change anything. Anyone know how to fix this? The stretched hud is a little too distracting.

Sounds like an issue on your side. You may want to try reinstalling JKA and MB2.

But yeah I don't know why they wouldn't fix widescreen HUD for OpenJK.
I'm not even sure why they named it widescreen "UI" when solely the in-game HUD is affected and not the whole UI (like the main menu and its sections).

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Really? Well iirc, I would have an error show up when trying to launch the game when I tried using the jamp. It only seemed to launch when I used the MB2 client.
Steam user? What error, exactly? Screenshot or citation required.

No, from what I can tell the launcher is not compatible with jamp.exe if it is the Steam version of the game, you will have to use MBII Client, or not the launcher.

If you don't want to use the launcher, you can right click on Jedi Academy in your Steam library, go to the properties, and set launcher options to +set fs_game "MBII" and run the game through Steam instead of the launcher, only keeping the launcher to update the game when an update is released, but using JAMP with the launcher isn't possible at the moment. (originally posted by @Supa)
Technical Issue - Cant Launch The Game (Steam Version) | Movie Battles II Community

I guess not perfectly compatible, then, as according to them JKA needs to be installed in Steam directory rather than a custom one. The text you quoted is a response to another question entirely, though. Supa just didn't specify that properly.

Yeah sorry I should've specified. I have the steam version from the recent sale. I've followed the install tutorials for steam and never encountered any issue thus far. Everything works fine, it's just that the stretched hud is a little irritating and I was wondering if there was a known fix for is. You guys probably know exactly what I'm talking about, but if not, this is what I'm referring to: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I guess not perfectly compatible, then, as according to them JKA needs to be installed in Steam directory rather than a custom one. The text you quoted is a response to another question entirely, though. Supa just didn't specify that properly.
ok, here's more quotes:
Supa said:
If you're using the launcher, keep in mind you need to have MBII Client selected, or you'll have to run the game through Steam itself by changing the launch parameters for it.
[SOLVED] - Need help with launcher please /: | Movie Battles II Community
Supa said:
Don't do that. The Steam version of Jedi Academy requires you launch directly through Steam.

You need to go into your Steam library, right click on Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy in your library, select Properties, and under that first tab there should be an option called Set Launch Options.
[SOLVED] - windows could not find "jamp.exe" - plz help | Page 2 | Movie Battles II Community
Supa said:
Steam won't show you playing Jedi Academy unless you launch through Steam itself. The Launcher isn't really compatible with the Steam version of jamp.exe, that's why you're required to use the custom MBII Client instead.
[SOLVED] - Steam installation folder | Movie Battles II Community

The funny thing there's comment from LoU below, which makes a contradiction:
LoU said:
Launcher can be placed even on desktop, but it's recommended to put it inside GameData folder. Of you want to use steam overlay then (correct path to steam installation folder, not the library):
1. Put MBIILauncher inside GameData
2. Go to settings and check Steam integration/connection
3. Run game using: JAMP.
Maybe launcher works in case of checking option "Steam integration"? But @Supa never mentioned it anyway.
Yeah sorry I should've specified. I have the steam version from the recent sale. I've followed the install tutorials for steam and never encountered any issue thus far. Everything works fine, it's just that the stretched hud is a little irritating and I was wondering if there was a known fix for is. You guys probably know exactly what I'm talking about, but if not, this is what I'm referring to: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
So I still not exactly understand what you're telling me. You can't run mb2 through Steam? Or you can, but even using jamp/Steam you still have stretched HUD? Or you need MBII client fixed and you don't care about Steam/jamp?

I see your screenshot and I understand what your issue is, but I don't know which client you're running to have HUD look wrong.

Last edited:
So I still not exactly understand what you're telling me. You can't run mb2 through Steam? Or you can, but even using jamp/Steam you still have stretched HUD? Or you need MBII client fixed and you don't care about Steam/jamp?

I see your screenshot and I understand what your issue is, but I don't know which client you're running to have HUD look wrong.
I bought jedi academy through Steam. Mb2 doesn't have the steam overlay, but I don't care about that. In the mb2 game launcher I have the MBII client selected instead of jamp because apparently jamp won't work with steam versions (which seems to be true because I get an error when trying it).

I bought jedi academy through Steam. Mb2 doesn't have the steam overlay, but I don't care about that. In the mb2 game launcher I have the MBII client selected instead of jamp because apparently jamp won't work with steam versions (which seems to be true because I get an error when trying it).
It might also be worth noting that for some odd reason after installing mb2, my original steam versions of jasp and jamp somehow switched (so if I wanna play singleplayer I gotta open jamp, and if I want to play multiplayer I have to open jasp).

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
You did not read my previous message, did you?

If you don't want to use the launcher, you can right click on Jedi Academy in your Steam library, go to the properties, and set launcher options to +set fs_game "MBII" and run the game through Steam instead of the launcher, only keeping the launcher to update the game when an update is released, but using JAMP with the launcher isn't possible at the moment. (originally posted by @Supa)

You did not read my previous message, didn't you?

I don't mind using the launcher. If the hud stretching is determined by which client I'm using (jamp or MBII), I may just have to deal with it. But as it is, MBII is the only one that works for me, which you previously pointed out as well, because I have the steam version.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
If you're running the Steam version of Jedi Academy and you're having issues running MBII using JAMP through the launcher it's because you didn't install Jedi Academy to the default directory in Steam.

For example, if Jedi Academy is installed on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy, you're fine. But if you prefer installing games on a separate hard drive for example, it won't work. Jedi Academy has to be installed to the default directory to run JAMP through the launcher. If it isn't, running it directly through Steam, or changing to the MBII Client in the launcher, is your only option.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I don't mind using the launcher. If the hud stretching is determined by which client I'm using (jamp or MBII), I may just have to deal with it. But as it is, MBII is the only one that works for me, which you previously pointed out as well, because I have the steam version.
Some of us are completly wrong at this point. Maybe it's me, maybe it's you.

It *should* works for you. Read my message, where I quoted @Supa, and launch mb2 using Steam. If it will not work, please mention what exactly errors you got. Screenshots are welcomed.

And just for the record: I've made 2 screenshots, that do show difference between jamp and mbii.x86 in widescreen mode:

90466f95cc34.jpg

46c045ac95cd.jpg

Last edited:
If you're running the Steam version of Jedi Academy and you're having issues running MBII using JAMP through the launcher it's because you didn't install Jedi Academy to the default directory in Steam.

For example, if Jedi Academy is installed on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy, you're fine. But if you prefer installing games on a separate hard drive for example, it won't work. Jedi Academy has to be installed to the default directory to run JAMP through the launcher. If it isn't, running it directly through Steam, or changing to the MBII Client in the launcher, is your only option.
Okay thanks for clearing that up. So unless I get the launcher to run the jamp client using those methods, I can't have the fixed hud? Also, would having it run through Steam prevent me from playing the vanilla jamp (unless I undo it)?

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
The only way to get the launcher to use JAMP is to install Jedi Academy to the default directory on C: drive where Steam is installed to. Running the game directly through Steam (adding the +set fs_game "MBII" to the launch parameters) will run vanilla jamp.

And for the record, I run a 16:9 resolution with mbii.x86 and my HUD doesn't get stretched, as far as I can tell, so I'm really not sure why you're having that issue.

c27bdd9a9269a664bd213e575f861b21.jpg

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
So unless I get the launcher to run the jamp client using those methods, I can't have the fixed hud?
You can use mb2 launcher to run jamp (if you have mb2 installed properly), and have a nice HUD.
You can use Steam launcher to run Movie Battles, and have a nice HUD.
And for the record, I run a 16:9 resolution with mbii.x86 and my HUD doesn't get stretched, as far as I can tell, so I'm really not sure why you're having that issue.
Maybe there's something in your config that fixing stretching? Upload it here, it can helps ppl who experience problem with widescreen.