•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Hud is still stretched out and disproportionate

So I did everything as usual to get widescreen and it is working fine, but I still have a noticeable issue. My hud is still stretched out. I went into setup and found an option called widescreen UI fix or something like that, but that doesn't appear to change anything. Anyone know how to fix this? The stretched hud is a little too distracting.

Catlord Meow!

Donator
2016-01-06_00003.jpg
Even if it will work, we still need shots from Steam users to make a situation clear.
Since you've posted screenshot with Steam, I assume you're Steam user. Please post screen I've requested. Does your hud look correctly?
I got steam and got the stuff on you requested hope that helps you.

Since his hud looks like it should, I assume Catlord Meow! uses jamp.
So what happens when you run mblauncher with jamp and "Steam connection" checked? Does your hud stretching?
We'll, I didnt go into it much, but I tested it a bit and it was stretched iirc. I'll have to double check though (because I may have not checked to see if widescreen UI was enabled). Odd thing though, when I tried jamp a little bit, I didnt receive any error even though I don't have jka installed into the default steam directory. I didn't try that ratio thing and won't be able to until later today at the earliest.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I'll have to double check though (because I may have not checked to see if widescreen UI was enabled).
Test it thoroughly, especially widescreen UI option. Try mov_ratioFix 0/1. Post screens.
Odd thing though, when I tried jamp a little bit, I didnt receive any error even though I don't have jka installed into the default steam directory.
Yeah, based on messages I've quoted I can say this is contradictory stuff. But if you will get errors, please move your JA installation to proper folder.
I didn't try that ratio thing and won't be able to until later today at the earliest.
Well we'll wait.
the previous was a JAMp screen this is an MBII Client screen
Indeed. MBII client is completely independent from steam, and it's bugged -- "Widescreen UI" option does nothing. Your second screenshot confirms that, while your first one displays hud in the right way.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
MBII client does not support fixed ui ratio. No need to investigate - you could just ask directly.
Are you saying that to me? If you do, I already know that since post #2 of this thread.

Now we investigate why @Apocalatypus runs jamp/steam and still has stretched hud. See his screenshot: Technical Issue - Hud is still stretched out and disproportionate | Page 3 | Movie Battles II Community
I suspect it depends on how to run jamp. We wait @Apocalatypus to be able check it.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I don't trust UI settings at all. People should try the fix with the mov_ratioFix cvar.
I recommend @Apocalatypus to test it as well.
Though I've checked gui setting on my non-steam jamp and it worked perfectly, switching stretched/not-stretched hud just during round.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. There's no the whole crowd helping, and I have only one theory which may be wrong.

Last edited:
I tried the mov_ratioFix command. Found out that all it seems to do is what the widescreen UI setting is doing. In fact, after using mov_ratioFix 1, it'd turn widescreen UI: on, and doing mov_ratioFix 0 would make the setting widescreen UI: off. So it appears that won't help me here sadly.

Remember how I initially said that using the jamp client in the launcher would give me an error, then later found out that it worked? Well, I went to run the launcher with the jamp client again and then it gave me the error I initially mentioned. I found that odd, so I went on to try out the mov_ratioFix command through the Steam version. After finding out that it did the same thing as widescreen UI setting, I decided to try out the jamp client again and what do you know, no error and it launches like normal again. Wat. Anyway, I tried out the mov_ratioFix command with that too and it yielded the same, disappointing results.

Another odd thing. Remember when I said:
It might also be worth noting that for some odd reason after installing mb2, my original steam versions of jasp and jamp somehow switched (so if I wanna play singleplayer I gotta open jamp, and if I want to play multiplayer I have to open jasp).
Well now they are switched back to normal! I say again, wat. Only difference this time is that I get
Code:
76811 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing jaconfig.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header!
when I tried opening single player. As I was writing the previous sentence, I realized that I should probably go and find out exactly what that error says to show you, so I go back to replicate it, only to find that it is back to being switched again. Only this time I still get the error in the code section above when trying to launch single player still (while previously to having this error I used to be able to launch single player and not have any issues).

TL;DR: mov_ratioFix only appears to change widescreen UI in the setup menu so it doesn't work. Whether or not jamp client through the launcher works is very inconsistent and sometimes gives errors and sometimes not. My sp and mp keep switching in Steam (so if I wanna play singleplayer I gotta open jamp, and if I want to play multiplayer I have to open jasp), though this could be in part due to running mb2 through Steam.

I'm considering just uninstalling everything and installing it all to the main drive and see what results I get.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I tried the mov_ratioFix command. Found out that all it seems to do is what the widescreen UI setting is doing. In fact, after using mov_ratioFix 1, it'd turn widescreen UI: on, and doing mov_ratioFix 0 would make the setting widescreen UI: off. So it appears that won't help me here sadly.
Yes, exactly. I only mentioned it cause @ent said:
I don't trust UI settings at all. People should try the fix with the mov_ratioFix cvar.
when I tried opening single player. As I was writing the previous sentence, I realized that I should probably go and find out exactly what that error says to show you, so I go back to replicate it, only to find that it is back to being switched again.
We could use some help from users who actually use Steam to get that thing explained. It's shame only one person came here to post a screenshot of his hud.
There's topic describing Z_Free error and strange switching to single-player exe:
Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header! | Movie Battles II Community

I think this is all because you had JA in wrong folder.
I'm considering just uninstalling everything and installing it all to the main drive and see what results I get.
Good. I can only hope this will magically fix issues at last.
AFAIK it should be correct directory, not just drive:
---
If you're running the Steam version of Jedi Academy and you're having issues running MBII using JAMP through the launcher it's because you didn't install Jedi Academy to the default directory in Steam.

For example, if Jedi Academy is installed on C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy, you're fine. But if you prefer installing games on a separate hard drive for example, it won't work. Jedi Academy has to be installed to the default directory to run JAMP through the launcher.
---
Technical Issue - Hud is still stretched out and disproportionate | Movie Battles II Community by @Supa

The jamp.exe and jasp.exe switch is done because Steam doesn't allow to launch JAMP directly. You can only launch JAMP from Steam library when it asks you if you want to play Singleplayer or Multiplayer. If you launch directly via shortcut (or "steam://blabla" command that exists and I believe MB2 launcher uses), it will launch jasp.exe.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I'd just TV with that guy instead of playing detectives.
That wouldn't help much. For example, I'm not familiar with Steam and how it integrates with games.
The jamp.exe and jasp.exe switch is done because Steam doesn't allow to launch JAMP directly. You can only launch JAMP from Steam library when it asks you if you want to play Singleplayer or Multiplayer. If you launch directly via shortcut (or "steam://blabla" command that exists and I believe MB2 launcher uses), it will launch jasp.exe.
Really weird. Why they've done it that way? Why switch files on a drive instead of just running jasp of single and jamp for multiplayer?
And I think if I run something without any launchers, just using shortcut or command-line, there will be launched a file I've chosen, no matter what. Indeed, if somebody switched files before, it will make a difference.
It seems to me MBLauncher always starts jamp, but if files have renamed by Steam, jamp is actually jasp, and Z_Free error wil occur.

Still question is how moving JA to Steam folder will affects file switching and widescreen hud...

Uninstalled everything and then reinstalled jedi academy to the default Steam game directory. Downloaded the MBII Launcher and placed that in my GameData. Installed it like normal. I have JAMP client selected. Launch the game and make it 1920x1080. Enable Widescreen UI. Load up a match.

IT FINALLY WORKS

The HUD is all proportionate and scaled properly!
Thank you all for your help! Let it be known that if you have some odd, unsolvable issues like this through the Steam version, I highly recommend installing jedi academy through the main Steam game directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData) and using the JAMP client in the launcher (unless you would rather run it through Steam). Who knew that installing it on a different drive could cause such an odd problem.