Adjustments to General Gameplay

For the past couple months we have been gathering up ideas and thoughts on how to alter some values to reduce critical breakpoints in the gameplay experience while still staying true to MB2's signature feel. Before even trying them out, we would like to see some discussion on the potential implications and if there are some controversial changes in the mix. None of these changes are final and surely not all of them will ever see the light of day, but many of these ideas attempt to address issues that particularly new players might feel are frustrating.

Note that these changes do not focus on Saber vs Saber mechanics as that is explored elsewhere in Tempest's tweak threads.

General mechanics
  • Getup from knockdown activates 0.5-1 second sooner for single life classes
  • Getup animation from knockdowns changed to a sped up Soldier getup animation while on the ground (mid-air getup is still current coinflip)
  • Can't hack objectives while on fire
  • All single life classes can sideroll upon knockdown except SBD
  • Sonic detonator stuns count as assists
  • Incendiary Grenade flames stop dealing TK points after being lit for 5 seconds
  • Assist TKs can be punished
  • A primed grenade will tick passively to alert for corner camps
These changes would be focused towards reducing frustration, fixing oversights and small changes to make the game look a bit better. The most significant of these are the changes to how knockdowns look and feel.

Currently the knockdown is a very powerful mechanic that creates tension during a fight and allows for powerful crowd control abilities to be potent. It is one of the big things that sets MB2 apart from everything else. However it can prove very frustrating and can feel unavoidable for the less experienced players. By slightly reducing the time it takes for the getup and giving additional control over your destiny, we hope to alleviate general frustration while slightly reducing the game-ending impact of a knockdown.

All primed grenades will tick similar to Concussion Grenades to allow players to detect corner ambushes more reliably. This will also help players read the battlefield better as they can now determine if a grenade has been primed or not without having to hear the priming beeps.

The Force:
  • Pull vulnerability frames changed to match Push
  • Push costs changed from 2-2-8 to 2-4-8. Single target knockdown added for Push 2.
  • Lightning only stuns for the frames that it hits
  • FP drains are no longer capped when not blocking
These changes to the way the Force works are slight tweaks to reduce frustrating behaviour in Pull and Lightning. There was a big cool factor in hitting snipes on Jedi/Sith who were playing carelessly, so we would like to bring that back.

Push 3 is generally perceived to be very powerful and easy to use considering its utility. We are thinking of an indirect nerf by making it cost 2 points more to access. Boosting Push 2 would encourage players to save points for other abilities as long as they are comfortable with aiming at their intended targets. People who can do single-target pushing reliably will be able to do so with less points. However, if someone wants to be a crowd control powerhouse, that is still possible, just with an added cost.

Lightsaber
  • Passive deflects should never fly behind the deflecter
  • Increase Flinch range to match Close IDR for better consistency
  • Staff/Duals cost to 0
  • Staff/Duals defense arc to match regular stances
These behavioural changes explain themselves for most part. Staff and Duals are made more accessible, but they lose their defensive bonus. Flinch becomes more reliable and both players can expect a specific result when getting shot.

Frag Grenade
  • Secondary throw FP drain removed
Knockdown is already punishing enough. It also feels inconsistent as it is the only explosive that does this.

Clone Rifle
  • Reduce velocity of both blobs by 15%
The Clone Rifle's blob blasts have become very fast over the course of the years almost sneakily. This has removed a certain feeling of pride and accomplishment from landing air blobs on mandalorians. This also reduces the game ending power the Blob currently holds over Jedi/Sith.

Concussion Grenade
  • Direct hits explode on impact dealing extra damage (10-20 HP)
Bring back some of the old Primary Grenade feel to the Soldier class while giving the Double Conc Build a bit more oomph.

Projectile Rifle
  • Remove firing delay while scoping
  • Introduce focus mechanic: Stand still for 1.5s to fire a 100% accurate shot. Visually decrease crosshair size in the same fashion as EE3 until accuracy achieved
  • Adjust ammo available per level 8-12-18
Give the Projectile Rifle back its possibility of quickscoping, but create a requirement of having a setup for making clear shots. Ammo amounts available are also tweaked to make sniping a more conscious decision as it cannot be done wastefully.

Westar M5
  • Increase sniper ammo cost so that the clip can fit 1 less sniper shot
  • Decrease sniper shot base damage by 3
The M5 is largely where it needs to be, but being able to fire so many shots in succession reduces the feeling of every shot counting. In similar fashion the base damage would be decreased just slightly to emphasize the importance of landing two consecutive shots for the kill.

Bowcaster
  • Implement a curved damage increase for the charged shot like with the Disruptor
  • Include a sound effect for charging the shot
  • Fully charged shots are always accurate
The rapid fire/charged shot swap has made the gun feel more like its own thing. It no longer feels like an overpowered E11, even if only at Level 2. The charged shot is given more emphasis while also slightly reducing its initial damage output, while keeping the maximum charge damage the same. Currently the damage adds up too fast resulting in high damage with very little charging required. These changes just nudge us more towards making the gun feel as punchy as it felt like in Episode 7.

EE3
  • Sniper shot damage decreased from 100 to 90
The sniper shot damage is reduced slightly to emphasize shots that land on the chest and head.

Disruptor
  • Primary shots pass through targets
  • Increase reload time by 20%
The non-scoped mode gets a fun feature that should make it an interesting option in a tight hallway. The Disruptor reloads very fast and this leaves very small timing windows for enemies to relocate and suppress. Increasing reload time should make sniping a more responsible decision.
Melee
  • Legsweep no longer knocks down if the target is crouching
This behaviour inconsistent and the legsweep has a very large hitbox, so knocking down players with it is not exactly as thrilling and skillful as it should be. Now players have some counterplay against it.
Poison Dart
  • Reduce duration by 33%
Poison can feel like a very frustrating ability when stacked as it forces a player out of the fight. It also grants the Bountyhunter a long timing window for pressure or even securing the kill. This change should increase significance of landing consecutive darts and gives the Bountyhunter less time to capitalize.

That was a lot more than I expected. Please take your time to read and think about these changes. As said above, none of them are set in stone and are more-so starting points rather than final values.

We would love to hear your thoughts. What sounds good? What sounds bad? Why? I am fond of all of these changes and truly believe they make the game more nuanced without feeling too heavy-handed. I am sure we'll disagree on some of the more drastic points, but I would love to see you also highlight which of the changes make the game better even if you feel strongly against some other features.

Last edited:

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Nex said:
How do you imagine lightning lvl 1 as a helpful tool in 1v1 now?
It's not useful aside from cheesing people for free kills.

Achilles said:
No more FP Drain caps? Really?
As mentioned before, this only affects caps, not FP drains. It only pertains to high damage weapons for the most part.

Because clearly we need more buffs for Bowcaster charge shot.
It's actually a nerf because it's fixing how Bowcaster charging is intended to work. Currently it reaches max charge time (5 seconds) damage (90) in 1 second. The change would actually make it scale properly as a baseline.

and if you're Jedi/Sith and blocking while standing, it doesn't knockdown.
You get staggered if standing up but knocked down while crouching. Seems logical.

stuff about SBD
Spouting rage comments when you actually do know there's work being done (both to address issues with current public version as well as non-public) on SBD (despite not knowing full details) is just silly.

Stuff not mentioned that's being discussed:
Pistol damage, SBD, ions, further details on force powers (not even including the overhaul that does actually include making current Lightning 2 into level 1 and scrapping the current level 1), the annoying FP debuff mechanic along with its details, and more.

Also pretty sure Ben came up with this thing with Push on his own instead of waiting on further input :p.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
1) Higher damage weapons already shred FP in the current system, I don't see how removing the caps is going to be useful unless you also nerf the damage from those weapons.

2) I was referring to the 'accuracy' aspect. It's a huge buff, because you don't even need to charge it atm, as you get a huge damage bonus from just tapping the attack button in charge mode.

3) Then you'll need to rebalance melee, because removing the knockdown on crouch makes crouching overpowered and leg sweep near-useless. I could see maybe making standing kick knock down crouching players, and sweep knock down standing players, but I don't see the need for the change, really.

4) I didn't know SBD was being worked on. I only heard McBober had a proposal, which he sent me and I disagreed with. Though it was interesting, I think it would have been better suited for Deka management than for SBD.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I basically never get killed by lightning stun because I know what to expect in every scenario.

Okay achilles.

Try that for once instead suggesting ridiculous nonsense nerfs. That's litereally breaking the system to suit your wishes and needs.

You said a minute ago achilles was impossible to debate with, now you're doing the same thing. Many people in the past have asked for some changes to lightning stun because of how frustrating it can be. We're suggesting changes to it as a result of a lot of feedback we have gotten. Just calling it nonsense and saying it is just to suit "our needs and wishes" isn't going to help you. Maybe just a bit try and see where other people are coming from and why they are frustrated enough with it that we are even discussing making a change in the first place.

Then perhaps it's about time to try them out as they have natural immunity to stun like Wookiee with STR 3 for instance (now that requires skills! huh!).

I was forgetting about STR3 with that, but it also requires a crap ton of points.... sooo.

And hero... the best class to counter Sith there is. Snipe him when he runs = 50fp less (and already unable to use lightning), then just finish him with 5-6 primary E-11 shots. I still can't figure out what's your problem.

There you go making up situations that wouldn't even matter in the current state of lightning. Doing the exact thing achilles does all the time. This isn't even close to the scenario I was talking about where the problem lies.

I have tried to help you see what some of the other people in the community and team think. If that isn't a good enough reason for you just to have a discussion on a topic then that is fine. Please try to understand why it is even here, why people are frustrated fighting against it even if you think it is bullshit or because people aren't skilled enough to counter. Simplifying it down to those two ideas isn't helping discussion at all. Like I said in an earlier post. The stun mechanic frustrates people, and maybe finding a way to buff lightning while removing the bad part that frustrates people is the way to go. And I still haven't seen anything on that yet.

Last edited:

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
I want changes to lightning, I just want a more permanent and better solution through overhauling force powers, rather than trying to bandaid broken mechanics.

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
You said a minute ago achilles was impossible to debate with, now you're doing the same thing. Many people in the past have asked for some changes to lightning stun because of how frustrating it can be. We're suggesting changes to it as a result of a lot of feedback we have gotten. Just calling it nonsense and saying it is just to suit "our needs and wishes" isn't going to help you. Maybe just a bit try and see where other people are coming from and why they are frustrated enough with it that we are even discussing making a change in the first place.

Getting a feedback from noobs that play this game for 1 week isn't really a feedback. Because that short stun after lightning ends we talk so vigorously about is here since 2006. And out of sudden became a problem recently? Ok. Makes sense /sarcasm.

There you go making up situations that wouldn't even matter in the current state of lightning. Doing the exact thing achilles does all the time. This isn't even close to the scenario I was talking about where the problem lies.

Making up situations? Dude are you serious, lol. What else is hero supposed to do against Sith? Did I also mention DASH before?! You have freaking DASH! DASH ALONE is ENOUGH.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Getting a feedback from noobs that play this game for 1 week isn't really a feedback. Because that short stun after lightning ends we talk so vigorously about is here since 2006. And suddenly became a problem recently? Ok. Makes sense /sarcasm.

No? We've heard this complaint for years, even from people who have played for 10+ years. Do you really think this is only from complaints over the last month? (I have hardly seen any on this topic from new players tbh as they usually have more important things to complain about).

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Getting a feedback from noobs that play this game for 1 week isn't really a feedback. Because that short stun after lightning ends we talk so vigorously about is here since 2006. And out of sudden became a problem recently? Ok. Makes sense /sarcasm.

Invalidate everyone's opinion. Good job.

Making up situations? Dude are you serious, lol. What else is hero supposed to do against Sith? Did I also mention DASH before?! You have freaking DASH! DASH ALONE is ENOUGH.

Uhhh, the hero can be good? You know... hit things?

Nex

EU Official Server Admin
Invalidate everyone's opinion. Good job.

Uhhh, the hero can be good? You know... hit things?

Dude I told you, I won't discuss with you about anything. You are completely clueless. Why do you even still bother. You're a joke of a beta team.

No? We've heard this complaint for years, even from people who have played for 10+ years. Do you really think this is only from complaints over the last month? (I have hardly seen any on this topic from new players tbh as they usually have more important things to complain about).

That's interesting. I wonder from whom exactly did you hear this complaint and from how many people.If you have heard it for years as you say why did you guys decide to make this change now (assuming it's final)?

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Dude I told you, I won't discuss with you about anything. You are completely clueless. Why do you even still bother. You're a joke of a beta team.

You know, that's a pretty good impression of me, but the major difference is that I actually listen to people and debate with them. I don't just go 'WELL IM NOT DEBATING WIT U CUZ U A DUMBY HEAD'

68bf95cd15bfa7cb05ed298a1fe6e23b.gif

I just noticed this veiled insult at me. Pretty sure I've never made scenarios like that ever to prove a point, but feel free to continue Macey.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
That's interesting. I wonder from whom exactly did you hear this complaint and from how many people.If you have heard it for years as you say why did you guys decide to make this change now (assuming it's final)?

Nothings final that is why the discussion is here (ben mentions this and nothing has been implemented yet) but lately we've been trying to work more on some quality of life stuff. Not just general things to make MBII experience better to make things less clunky but some gameplay things to make it less frustrating as well. Hence this and the getup changes. If we need to make adjustments to buff up jedi/sith to compensate for some of what they lose from some of those changes, then we will and you're welcome to give suggestions.

I don't exactly have a tally or the names of people that have complained about things over the years. However I have seen tens of people complain about is over the past few years and I haven't exactly been paying that much attention to that. There are a few people I remember specifically but it is up to them to voice their opinion on it in this thread. I am not going to do it for them.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
P.S. to clarify on the leg sweep change, the actual/better wording would have been "make leg sweep behavior consistent". As it stands now, just sitting and blocking vs leg sweep staggers. Moving at all in the exact same circumstances = falls down. This is inconsistent and what was to be looked at.

Yall gotta chill for a moment, we can speculate how much we want, on paper it aint worth much... Wait to test it in game before mass yelling.

Staff & Duals losing their buffs and costs make them entirely useless to me. I'd never use them again. The point of Staff is it's high defense. No defensive arc + the already mediocre offensive capabilities of staff mean that I really can't find a role for it to fill besides trying to look cool.

Bottom line, keep staff and duals as they are.

Then ya'll are wanting to even further nerf the Force, the thing that makes the Jedi/Sith worth playing at all. Why in the blue hell would I want to play as a Jedi/Sith when literally the only way to win against gunners even nowadays is by surprise, and surprise only? Push needs to remain the cheaper option of the two, while pull need a buff. A gunner that has been playing longer than 5 minutes knows that he's gotta keep that pinky on the shift key if he wants to live, period. Giving bad players incentive to continue playing badly is a no bueno for a game like this.

Last edited:

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
P.S. to clarify on the leg sweep change, the actual/better wording would have been "make leg sweep behavior consistent". As it stands now, just sitting and blocking vs leg sweep staggers. Moving at all in the exact same circumstances = falls down. This is inconsistent and what was to be looked at.
This was intended, not inconsistent nor a bug.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
When a soldier swaps to melee, I see it as a red flag to be cautious and keep a careful distance. If you make it so that sweep kick doesn't knock down someone moving and blocking, then there is no risk to just walking up to them while blocking.

Basic Soldiers with their 3 spawns honestly deserve to be 1/3rd as powerful as a Jedi/Sith. If I as a single-lived Jedi/Sith find a lone soldier in close quarters, he shouldn't really stand a chance against me unless I completely screw up, or he memes me.

We gotta stop being scared of saying that one class is "weaker" than others. Soldiers are not as powerful as Jedi/Sith on their own. That's why they can respawn 3 times. That's what rallys on commanders are for. That's what insta-detonating nades are for.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Basic Soldiers with their 3 spawns honestly deserve to be 1/3rd as powerful as a Jedi/Sith. If I as a single-lived Jedi/Sith find a lone soldier in close quarters, he shouldn't really stand a chance against me unless I completely screw up, or he memes me.

We gotta stop being scared of saying that one class is "weaker" than others. Soldiers are not as powerful as Jedi/Sith on their own. That's why they can respawn 3 times. That's what rallys on commanders are for. That's what insta-detonating nades are for.

I don't think anyone is arguing that soldiers are weak.

I don't think anyone is arguing that soldiers are weak.

Right, agreed. But what I'm saying is that these changes seem rather attuned towards making gunner classes "less frustrating to play" vs. Jedi/Sith. If I find a lone soldier, hell yeah it should be frustrating for him, he made the mistake of being alone. We don't need to nerf the Jedi and Sith even further just to appease people who more often than not, play like chickens with their heads cut off.

I have only been playing for a few months, I started in early September, and I can do 'decent' with every class, in no way to do I do exceptionally well but I can carry my weight, but I feel like I should still state my opinion. Because some of these changes seem worrying.
...But many of these ideas attempt to address issues that particularly new players might feel are frustrating...Assist TKs can be punished.
Seems kinda contradicting. The last thing a new player wants is people screaming at them because they throw a bad nade in their first game, and having infinite TK points, eventually leading to them not doing anything because if they accidentally shoot an ally when they scare them as they go around a corner, they die.
  • Staff/Duals cost to 0
  • Staff/Duals defense arc to match regular stances
This makes Staff worthless. The point of Staff is that its offence is poor while its defense is great. Removing the cost seems strange as well, because Duals (in my opinion), is really good compared to yellow, as it swings fast enough for gunners to not be able to make you flinch easily, and it still kills them in one hit. Both of those changes feel wrong.
  • Push costs changed from 2-2-8 to 2-4-8. Single target knockdown added for Push 2.
Rosh explained why the first half was bad
  • FP drains are no longer capped when not blocking
This seems horrible. This allows Hero/BH to camp around corners (such as the corner lower on deathstar closest to falcon elevator), and instantly kill Jedi/Sith if they are not blocking. That does not seem good, at all, and the removal of the firing delay makes this much easier to pull off.
Clone Rifle
  • Reduce velocity of both blobs by 15%
While I like the idea of a CR nerf, but this was not the exact way that I would expect it to go. Sure this makes it harder to land Conc blobs from the front of main on DotF, but thats about it. The time when Conc blobs are mainly used (in closer ranges) is hardly changed. Personally I find that the CR needs a slight damage nerf (20 damage when the E11 alt fire does 24, and CR1 fires slightly faster, CR2 significantly faster than the E11s alt fire is horrible), along with CR'3s being unable to buy blobs. Another idea would be an overhaul...
Talking with another user (who has played for much longer than I have, and is much better than I am), we also had the idea that a full overhaul of the CR would be a decent change, removing blobs, and making CR1 the DC-15S, that you see everywhere in TCW, that sticks to what the CR is now firing fast, and dealing decent damge (still room for a nerf). CR2 would stay as the DC-15A, but have a slower rate of fire, and deals a larger chunk of damage, something like how the T-21 is now. CR3 would stay as the Z-6 (still have to drop the respawn), and shoot really fast, with a slight damage nerf. On top of those changes completely drop blobs. Giving clones something else to buy, such as a weaker Ion Grenade, that could be like Ion Blobs are currently, except the player would have to throw the grenade.
Concussion Grenade
  • Direct hits explode on impact dealing extra damage (10-20 HP)
This is good. Currently there is no reason to use Concussion Grenades other than as a joke.
Westar M5
  • Increase sniper ammo cost so that the clip can fit 1 less sniper shot
  • Decrease sniper shot base damage by 3
This is also good. Right now it feels like the M5 is just a Auto Sniper with a bunch off ammo, and you can aim anywhere on your target, as long as the shot hits. Making rounds mean something, and require to be aimed at the head is a good change.
EE3
  • Sniper shot damage decreased from 100 to 90
The EE3 is already a bad weapon, and the sniper on it is a joke. Any notable Mando player, uses Dual pistols, and knows how to land charge shots. This seems like a step in the wrong direction.
Disruptor
  • Primary shots pass through targets
  • Increase reload time by 20%
This is a good change. Right now the Disruptor's primary fire has no reason to be used other than if you don't have the time to charge a shot, and you know your target is close to being dead, and even then its better to swap to your Pistol/Rifle, and finish them off with that. The reload time change seems nice, but considdering the fact that all the ammo you used in charging the shot is lost, if you charge a shot, and someone else kills what ever you were going to fire at, you now have to reload, and can not react to more enemies coming for even longer. 20% is not that much longer though, so I feel like it should still be ok.
Melee
  • Legsweep no longer knocks down if the target is crouching
So players should now tape down crouch while melee fighting? I really don't like this Idea.

Again, I am only decent at the game, but I still think that what I am saying needs to be heard so this is not only good players input.