MBII Development: Looking to the future

logo_mb.png

There has been an awakening.....have you felt it?

Hello MBII Community!

Like Hexodious mentioned in this post, we at the MBII team are hoping to change the MBII direction to be more focused to new features rather than re-inventing the wheel by continuously editing existing features. After all, as a wise saying goes, "if it's not broken, don't fix it!".

With Rogue One approaching, this is an excellent opportunity to pull up our sleeves and start implementing a number of features that have been in our drawing board for far too long. To do this we aim, as Hex said, to first freeze the Jedi/Sith lightsaber mechanics for the foreseeable future, something that we are currently working on.

After the Jedi/Sith mechanics are frozen, our plans include, but are not limited to:
  • New game modes, including the neglected child (Conquest) and the much demanded Class Limit feature
  • 2 new classes (one for rebels, one for imperials)
  • An SBD re-vamp (can you imagine a running SBD? We can!)
  • And of course, new maps and models from the upcoming films

We are excited and enthusiastic in working on these new things, but unfortunately our enthusiasm is not enough to make wonderful MBII things happen. As you know, MBII development is entirely voluntary and depends greatly on everyone's free time and availability. Our current resources are limited so completing all of these features will take a very long time, or may not happen at all. That's why we need your help!

We are looking for members of our community to support our efforts and help us realize our dreams for significant upgrade to MBII, by joining the Development Team with the aim of working on these specific features.

We are looking, in order of priority, for:

1. UI designers, to help re-vamp the current UI as needed (e.g. to include new classes) and improve performance.
  2. 2D and 3D modelers and animators, to help with the models for the new classes, and help creating or adapting new models for upcoming films.
  3. Coders to work on the new game modes and the new classes.
  4. Mappers to work on unfinished map projects and create new maps based on the upcoming films.
  5. Support and promotion partners, to help with the influx of new players after Rogue One is released, and hopefully keep most of them as permanent MBII junkies!
  6. Beta Testers! As you all know, bugs are everywhere, so help us obliterate them before releases! Also, the development of new game modes greatly depends on having enough testers to properly test them under normal game play conditions. The modes cannot be developed without testers.

Specifics for the requirements of Developer positions can be found here. If you have the required skills, or are willing to learn, apply!

For Beta Testers, the details are here. You have no excuse not to apply, as you don't need to have a specific skill other than love for MBII!

We look forward to hearing from you, as you awaken with us! May the Force be with MBII.

Fang

Donator
this thread is derailed with shitty robotic roleplay but good luck with the changes

I look forward to 2 new classes, was hoping that it was replacing deka personally but still nice, imps definitely need something

New class: Spider Assassin Droid.
Features: Invisibility, semi auto chest mounted machines guns, the ability to plant landmines, and the ability to walk on any surface. (Walking on walls/ceilings.)

5356994-0317177186-53557.gif

New class: Magnaguard
Features: Jedi combat and Staff spin. (Temporary blocking of all projectiles and AOE attack, slow walk when activated. Droid can not block projectiles otherwise.) Basically an agile mechanical jedi that can't block projectiles unless spinning.

4324601-shaak+ti+vs+magnaguard+3.gif

New class: Sniper (No not bounty hunter)
Features: Grappling hook, scanners, Extremely ammo draining rapid fire mode.

This+show+was+good+_156815cb0270660.gif

Features: Invisibility, semi auto chest mounted machines guns, the ability to plant landmines, and the ability to walk on any surface. (Walking on walls/ceilings.)

Features: Jedi combat and Staff spin. (Temporary blocking of all projectiles and AOE attack, slow walk when activated. Droid can not block projectiles otherwise.) Basically an agile mechanical jedi that can't block projectiles unless spinning.

delete this

IMO:
First class,nope.
second class,we already have Jedis and Siths for that,why another class like that? :/
third class,basically the Bartender from um_bespin but with guns.Grappling hook really annoys people,and can be used for timewaste.Saving the gif though.

Nah, I perfectly understand it. I've used grappling hook in fa, it's just a tool you use to run away. Unless you can shoot the line and destroy the grappling hook, or it has a 5 second cooldown every time you use it, I cannot imagine it being in open AND balanced.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Nah, I perfectly understand it. I've used grappling hook in fa, it's just a tool you use to run away. Unless you can shoot the line and destroy the grappling hook, or it has a 5 second cooldown every time you use it, I cannot imagine it being in open AND balanced.
Or just make it a one use per level ability. Can buy multiple uses like grenades/blobs. Change the physics so you can't do silly Spiderman-style completely horizontal or downward grapples and you've got a cool balanced feature to add mobility to a class. Could just limit the grappling hook to be used while looking at least slightly upwards, or make gravity still affect the person mid-grapple and have the line break if you drag yourself on the ground.

Not that his class proposal is a particularly good idea, but grappling hooks definitely could be tweaked to work well in open and not look silly.

Or just make it a one use per level ability. Can buy multiple uses like grenades/blobs. Change the physics so you can't do silly Spiderman-style completely horizontal or downward grapples and you've got a cool balanced feature to add mobility to a class. Could just limit the grappling hook to be used while looking at least slightly upwards, or make gravity still affect the person mid-grapple and have the line break if you drag yourself on the ground.

Not that his class proposal is a particularly good idea, but grappling hooks definitely could be tweaked to work well in open and not look silly.

If they worked anything like they do in Ultimate_Showdown, I'd shit myself if they were put in, lol.

I know I'm a little late on the subject, but rebels should also have a droid-esque class. I'm not saying it should be anything combat related, but rather utility droid. Think T3-M4 and R2 (I'm well aware of the FA droid(s) "skin") for example. It's not far fetched and would certainly aid in objective whoring with an increase to using terminals i.e hacking terminals that would otherwise need to be destroyed such as the throne terminal on dotf. The ability to lay mines, dispensing medstims and ammo and act as a personal sense 1 with map awareness perks or something along the lines of that. I'm in favor of it because the rebels lack a droid class while imps have two (three if you're counting IG-88 in the bounty class ;p).

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
for reference, the proper broad name for that kind of droid is Astromech Droid. I thought about that as a reb class too, and between R2-D2 and Chopper from rebels, a broad array of tools are exhibited, but, the main problem IMO is that it's very hard to make an Astromech combat-viable without stretching plausibility, and it seems to be a basic rule of MB2 that all classes have a build option that's combat viable. Without a combat option, the Astromech seems too "gimmicky."

Although there's at least one scene in Rebels where Chopper dual-wields pistols in his weird little robot head-arms, but, that seems too silly.

I agree, but there are various examples across the canon and EU which showcase astromech droids with combat capabilities. Yeah they seem a little gimmicky, but if wookies build to punch your guts out, not utilizing the bowcaster once, why can't an astromech droid build to spew oil on the ground and light it ablaze? The thing here is rebels shouldn't rely around going guns first out the gate. Rebels at their canonical core are guerrilla warfare experts, they rely on ambush tactics and tricks to gain victory. This is why I'm marginally successful whenever I'm playing rebs. I'll lay sonic bombs above entry ways or flank the enemy etc, that's a distinct playstyle i see go to waste too often because it's lacking utility. This is why i proposed this droid like class. Not to prioritize combat but to extend on the playstyle that many of us usually partake. Anyway, i agree with you about the combat issue, but as i've stated already there are many sources that indicate that these droids are capable of self defense be it shock, slick, integrated blasters etc, and the list only goes on.

k4far

Banned
Donator
DSC_0582.JPG

I am thinking of Jumptrooper, reminds me of old Battlefront series.

200373_press02.jpg

I also thought of an unit with stun baton and ray shield - carrying it on the back to be activated as Class Special... a Riot Trooper? (Even when it is not actived the shield would still absorb shots in the back to the point of breaking and not being activatable?). The unit itself would be a treat to SBD, for example, an SBD hit with stun baton would have much lower firing speed and be stripped of slapping for a brief moment. (It would not leave it defenseless). Fire rate of Riot Trooper should be bit slower than purple style.

How should it work on organics... to be amusing to watch... (btw. Deka would suffer a similar fate as SBD - it would not be able to switch into rolling mode). So, fleshy units would either be pushed back insignificantly (remember poking in Worms?) or rendered unable to move, but the victim should be regardless of that able to shot and slice around freely (ARC nades should stay in their own league).

A direct hit in jetpack from Riot Trooper's stun baton would activate it and send flying in a random direction leaving guy unable to shut it down or control for a brief moment.

*Wook is made of fur, carpets
- zapping him would have a chance of setting him on fire?

Last edited: