Your 5 changes to sabering

If you could make 5 changes to sabering what would they be and why?

Here are mine:

1. Bring styles closer together in speed. Make red a bit faster. Purple is probably fine because of yaw. Yellow is fine. Cyan is probably borderline okay too. Blue a bit slower.

2. Make running less OP
. Flat high BP drain on swings whilst running so that people don't play like a pussy/pbing is actually used instead of dodging. Atm you might as well dodge because the chance of you dodging = higher than you pbing, resulting in duels which don't fit up to the name 'Moviebattles'. One person runs in does a combo and runs out, then the other person does it, its like Runescape combat.

3. Bring back semi pb
. Would make parry spamming less effective etc.

4. Make swingblock less difficult.
This would nullify the power slap -> 4 hit -> repeat has. At the minute its very easy to get mblocked/slapped because your opponent can mblock/slap before your swingblock registers/you can input it quick enough. Make a safe zone just before/after a swing of maybe 0.5 seconds so that swingblocking is more manageable.

5. Make yellow the baseline style. This is a big one, but basically balance everything out to fit with yellow and they should fit with eachother decently too:
Blue halfswinging is broken because of the interrupts it causes, damage is too high and the perk is pretty strong too.
Cyan is very easily spammable, random perfect parries are irritating, hard to pb and mb because of its speed so damage should be lower.
Purple's perk is OP, especially with how valuable ACM, removing/nerfing its perk would make it balance well.
Staff animations are hard to see, very effective at meaningless spam because of its speed. Speed + power + unclear animations = too strong.
Yellow v yellow combat is and has been the most fun for a long time so yellow is fine.
Dualies are fine imo, at least against yellow they balance well.
Red balances nicely with yellow, a slight speed increase would make it perfect.

I know this is another thread talking about sabering but I kind of want to see if I share the same ideas as other people in the community/whether theres a majority who want something or whether we're split.

Last edited:

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I'm not gonna argue in real detail especially not now. Already did that far too much when doing these patches.

Just:
Who are you balancing the game around. The casual or the skilled player?.
The skilled player, always. In case you didn't notice, playing jedi is literally braindead compared to playing any other gunner: literally no aim in exchange for instakills, easy movement (most basic example being that you won't insta-die to a push or pull as soon as you don't perfectly control your movement like gunners are forced to do), insane mobility for the highest ambushing potential paired with literally free wallhack, autoblocking projectiles & saber swings (AUTO freaking BLOCKING like you're assisted, if we wanted this to take the slightest amount of skill it would need to work like dodge did in 1.4.4, i.e. precise button press timing to evade projectiles). What else, force powers ? All easy to use, easier than throwing a grenade. The only thing about jedi/sith class that barely requires mechanical skill of the same order as gunners is movement and MAYBE positioning.

Also "non-reinforcement classes vs reinforcement classes" ? Don't care for a second about that, there are plenty of 1life gunner classes that have the same weaknesses against force powers and saber swings as the multi-life ones, the sole exceptions are SBDs (with high enough battery), Wookiees (with sufficient strength level) and Dekas. And oh guess what, those are thus easier to play than the rest of the gunner classes; but hey still not remotely as easy as jedi.

So i just tried to make jedi harder to play. But that was just a bad idea and will never work, the class is just by pure design ez to play from the start. And that's not bad by any means, it can just be frustrating sometimes.

About jedi/sith being OP af in v1.3 ? I don't remember all the open mode perks from that time but just pair cyan with ultra red dmg reduction or purple FP reduction, without flinch even existing at the time and you got your answer.

And:
Extremely wrong, on all counts
Spamming in 1.3 was an easy way to get yourself killed. The only method to which spamming (which is still possible now) was plausible, is due to swingblock and crouch allowing for 4 hit counter spamming. If you could not swingblock every swing in your combo, spam would be easily countered by slap
If you could not swingblock every swing in your combo, spam would be easily countered by slap.
LOL. Spam was no longer countered by slap post-1.3 ? Sorry but nothing pertaining to slap or swingblock changed at all. I just added more mechanics to further punish spam, because just slap alone was not NEARLY enough. Added reduced BP drains for consecutive attacks in a chain, PB combo-break and heavy PB advantages in hopes that parry spam would no longer be the only counter to spam. These weren't all good ideas, only reduced BP drains for consecutives was. And removing chaining restriction directions paired with smaller PB zones was bad aswell, but was needed at the time to balance PB combo-break. What really needed to be done was adding parry drains to put a stop to the ultra-prevalent parry spam in v1.3 (and of course some other ideas from SeV like reverting ACM to pre-v1.1, as well as removing all those retarded arbitrary perks). I went the wrong direction to fix the retarded state of v1.3 unfortunately, and i'm hoping it can be done correctly now but it's no longer in my hands (i sure hope tempest will remove all fkin perks and tweaks everywhere someday...).

B14-19 would like to have a word with you.
Well i didn't play those, but weren't there instagib grenades then ? No way jedi would be too OP with those.

Last edited:

Stassin

Donator
Btw,
0.1.3 (prior to stagger patch) was nice. Remind me, why can't we have it back?
If you played that now after having experienced post-v1.1 for years, you'd feel how ultra inconsistent it was. All halfswings except 1 or 2 directions were ultra slow and useless, the drains were so high and PB so inconsistent you'd either lose half BP in 1hit when interrupted or be lucky and not lose anything because your saber happened to be in the way of the enemy attack even though you were initiating a swing yourself. Those kinds of things. I did test v0.1.9 with Spaghetti once when we were trying to fix saber lag bugs or something, it felt really slow because of those useless halfswings and hyper inconsistent.

Animations were far more fluid and reactive in RC1 and prior. Some questionable changes were made during my army absence, but I am not entirely sure when. Largely related to changes in rules for how sabers clash passively with each other.
In RC1 passive saber clashes would trigger blocking animations from which you could do instacounters. I did try to put that in again in v1.4.3 (with non-insta counters though) but it's bad now because i massively reduced the amount of time you'd get stuck in such a blocking anim, it's very quick now (in RC1 it was REALLY slow, which could feel good in a different era and whatever, but kinda reduces some depth).

@Tempest

The times where just swinging at someone didn't provide you blanket protection unless you also had the timing behind it (current parrying vs old parrying respectively, which allowed you to get body hits during swings in some cases).
Pre-v1.1 parries would occur inconsistently since they were reliant on sabers actually clashing. This allowed for more precise timing, and so when sabers didn't clash, mutual bodyhit exchanges would occur repeatedly (because interruptions didn't work, your swing would just continue on when you got hit during it), which drained insane BP for both sides and made "parry spam" scary. But for the sake of better consistency and actually properly bringing interruptions back in (with those blocking anims), i think it's much cleaner to have the current parrying system aswell as the current PBing system; but of course parries need to drain sufficient BP and be scary too - and by the way, the 50% bodyhit dmg i introduced in v1.4.3 wasn't even close to what we had pre-v1.1 with actual MUTUAL bodyhits (100% dmg). The old parries and PBs might have felt like they had depth, but a non-negligible part of it was actual inconsistency that you wouldn't control no matter how good you were, and that's not something i want to see back in. It felt particularly bad in open mode where you couldn't afford to just back off and redo an exchange when you got unlucky. The only thing needed now is having sufficient BP drains on current parries to avoid the "blanket protection".

The times where attacking and defending were symmetrical mechanically (both attacking and defending were all fast swings regardless of situation; saber blocking was very clear for both sides as to where to be aiming with your swings or your blocking).
Yeah, if only that was true. Saber blocking was inconsistent as fk and that was aggravated by how only 1 or 2 halfswing directions had decent speed, so all blocking came down to was looking at the ground and in 1 or 2 directions where only the fast swings would come from - and hoping that'd work, because you'd actually get a PB 50% of the time only, or less, even when you did all that. Too random. Current PB is much better to simulate "needing to aim at the incoming saber attack", which was always what people believed was needed (because then in theory, in a perfect world, your own saber should get in the way of the attack, which hardly ever worked in practice, only very inconsistently), despite only relying on angle zones with respect to the player-player axis.

Current parries are also far cleaner to simulate attack exchanges, as long as they drain enough BP. Yeah timing mattered slightly more with the old ones, but in reality that made no difference in almost all cases except when a player would get hit first with too low BP (he'd instantly die first then), because the attack from the player who got hit first would go on uninterrupted and still hit right after. The only other case where that mattered was when the player who scored a hit first would manage to barely dodge the other guy's attack when both of them were at max distance - but what would that encourage ? "shadowswinging" i.e. hit and run at long distances, try and spam to get those hits in at the correct timing ? Bleh.

I miss when sabering was straightforward and simple but still had lots of depth. The times where it wasn't mostly designed around 1v1 scenarios. The times when the only difference between styles was how hard they hit, how much damage they reduced when attacked, their animations, and the people using them.
If you really mean all that, then by all freaking means, do it already. Remove all those perks and FP/BP damage tweaks everywhere that you added in your saber branch (i dunno exactly what but just from a glance i can tell you added things like that). Please. It's literally what i wrote in SeV's thread:
"Remove all perks, meaning that the differences between styles in all situations should be only ever be the stance, AP, BP, HP dmg, swing animations & speeds, chaining differences (max swings in a chain and chaining direction restrictions). Nothing else, nothing tied to mblocks nor parries nor PBs nor semi-PBs nor NB nor force powers nor being knocked down or anything."

The times where timing actually made the biggest differences (right now you actually take less damage when hit in the starts of your swings-an interrupt- and the vast majority of damage actually just comes from being hit when you aren't holding the block button).
Not sure what you mean by all that beacuse these things should still be true. It should be non-blocking + attacking > non-blocking + not attacking > blocking + attacking > blocking, where > means "taking higher BP dmg". The only problem is that BP drains are too low, and maybe the multipliers at play for these situations aren't different enough, it could be good to make some more punishing yes.

Last edited:

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
I mostly just want less need to grind out ACM, make ACM between 0-3 levels instead of 9 and increase the base damage. This would make killing people head on in open mode less of a chore without baiting mblock/backwack.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
In RC1 passive saber clashes would trigger blocking animations from which you could do instacounters. I did try to put that in again in v1.4.3 (with non-insta counters though) but it's bad now because i massively reduced the amount of time you'd get stuck in such a blocking anim, it's very quick now (in RC1 it was REALLY slow, which could feel good in a different era and whatever, but kinda reduces some depth).
Explains why I still don't like it. RC1's "sloth" in the attacks reduced spam. It caused pacing. It added impact. The fights felt less like whack-a-mole.

Now characters shrug every hit off and are able to retort instantly.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Vapid comment: I feel like the current state of the saber system is designed so that every battle simulates the Episode 3 Obi-Ani duel. A flurry of attacks from both sides for a very long time.

Even though the only reason that battle went as it did was because both characters were of Legendary Skill Level, evenly matched, AND knew each other very well.

So I hope for "weightier" fights with much more decisive individual actions and less gradual-shifting-of-momentum-amidst-the-spam.

Although I suppose this approach would necessarily lead to more "lucky kills" by low skill players on high skill players in chaotic situations....... but I don't really mind, it would also lead to high skill players being able to dismantle low skill players much more easily,

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
absolutely batshit off-the-wall ideas on large scale design changes that could lead to interesting designs:
1. What if total BP was really low and the focus was much more on parrying with much higher consequences for missing a parry
2. What if parrying didn't exist at all... wait no I have no idea how that would balance out, uh, what if parrying hitboxes were much tighter and there was a much greater risk (especially when close to an enemy) of hitting around their parry...

I guess I basically want to remove both of the Overly Effective Mindless Defenses available right now: parry spam, and uh... block itself.

And overall I just want things to be "arcadey," in the sense of having easy-to-grasp rules that are very difficult to execute on perfectly.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
So i just tried to make jedi harder to play. But that was just a bad idea and will never work, the class is just by pure design ez to play from the start. And that's not bad by any means, it can just be frustrating sometimes.

About jedi/sith being OP af in v1.3 ? I don't remember all the open mode perks from that time but just pair cyan with ultra red dmg reduction or purple FP reduction, without flinch even existing at the time and you got your answer.

You constantly claim how easy it is to use Jedi/Sith, yet you failed in my test if you remember.

That being said, Jedi vs Gunner is mostly luck. It's guessing on both sides. I have for a very long time wanted a solid mechanic in gunner vs saber that removes most of the guessing of 'I hope he doesn't hit me while I'm swinging.'

LOL. Spam was no longer countered by slap post-1.3 ? Sorry but nothing pertaining to slap or swingblock changed at all. I just added more mechanics to further punish spam, because just slap alone was not NEARLY enough.

Swingblock has prevented spam for as long as it has existed. That is why the meta at high level in 1.3 and now was to simply 4 hit swingblock combo off of a counter. By doing this you not only parry their remaining combo swings, but also land the last hit of the combos, assuring you get the ACM and superior BP damage. You don't need mechanics to punish spam, you just need the existing mechanic to not be entirely negated by another existing mechanic. Swingblock/crouch are what you need to punish.

Added reduced BP drains for consecutive attacks in a chain, PB combo-break and heavy PB advantages in hopes that parry spam would no longer be the only counter to spam. These weren't all good ideas, only reduced BP drains for consecutives was. And removing chaining restriction directions paired with smaller PB zones was bad aswell, but was needed at the time to balance PB combo-break.

At least you recognize how awful those concepts were.

What really needed to be done was adding parry drains to put a stop to the ultra-prevalent parry spam in v1.3 (and of course some other ideas from SeV like reverting ACM to pre-v1.1, as well as removing all those retarded arbitrary perks).

Parry drains don't stop spam fests, they just cause massive trading wars. We've already seen parry drains work, and it was awful.

ACM is necessary to keep people from running away in order to reset duels constantly. If you had a chase mechanic, then you would have no reason for ACM to even exist.

I went the wrong direction to fix the retarded state of v1.3 unfortunately, and i'm hoping it can be done correctly now but it's no longer in my hands (i sure hope tempest will remove all fkin perks and tweaks everywhere someday...).

You went in the wrong direction by simply trying to fix 1.3. It was a good, stable patch. The perks were all fairly balanced, the only broken ones belonged to Cyan/Purple, and Cyan's was perfectly salvageable. They added flavor to the styles, and were fun to use. If you removed all of the perks, every style would become a boring slower/faster version of each other.

You don't need mechanics to punish spam, you just need the existing mechanic to not be entirely negated by another existing mechanic. Swingblock/crouch are what you need to punish.
Punish crouch? Isn't crouching already quite disadvantageous for the croucher with the decreased damage and increased PB loss, unless those are not a thing anymore.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Punish crouch? Isn't crouching already quite disadvantageous for the croucher with the decreased damage and increased PB loss, unless those are not a thing anymore.

The current meta is to crouch the startup of your swings and swingblock the rest. You're only crouching for as long as you're pressing the attack button, which really isn't a disadvantage.

Swingblock has prevented spam for as long as it has existed. That is why the meta at high level in 1.3 and now was to simply 4 hit swingblock combo off of a counter. By doing this you not only parry their remaining combo swings, but also land the last hit of the combos, assuring you get the ACM and superior BP damage. You don't need mechanics to punish spam, you just need the existing mechanic to not be entirely negated by another existing mechanic. Swingblock/crouch are what you need to punish.
The meta isn't 4 hit swingblock because no one can swingblock 4 hits without getting slapped lol

i've said it once and i'll say it again if anyone thinks they can swingblock 2 hits perfectly i'd like to see it because i'm yet to come across someone who can't be slapped if you time it right whilst they're comboing

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
The meta isn't 4 hit swingblock because no one can swingblock 4 hits without getting slapped lol

i've said it once and i'll say it again if anyone thinks they can swingblock 2 hits perfectly i'd like to see it because i'm yet to come across someone who can't be slapped if you time it right whilst they're comboing

You can swingblock to the point to where the only moment you're exposed is the few milliseconds where you're starting a swing, and you can crouch during those few milliseconds. I've seen people practice it and get quite good at it. It effectively then becomes a spam fest, as you have to trade with them, while they parry everything.

You can swingblock to the point to where the only moment you're exposed is the few milliseconds where you're starting a swing, and you can crouch during those few milliseconds. I've seen people practice it and get quite good at it. It effectively then becomes a spam fest, as you have to trade with them, while they parry everything.
crouch yeah but if you slap as soon as you get hit by their first swing it doesnt matter how precise you are with swingblock, no one can swingblock that timing

edit: I should say that in my experience being where I'm at with dueling atm, duels have progressed from 4 hit spam and slap spam into actually half swing/Acm-offs.

it's quite a nice dynamic in that both sides feel scared to do longer combos because they know how easy it is to get slapped if they know that first hit timing, so you get this kind of short/irregular comboing to try to bait the other person into slapping and then going in and 4 hitting because they messed the timing up

people who 4 hit constantly get absolutely destroyed once you go up against even a mid-top tier player (I should know so as I used to CONSTANTLY pb first hit -> 4 hit and I had to break that habit because I was getting slapped and half swinged on the ground like there was no tomorrow once people started playing more of an ACM focused meta)

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
crouch yeah but if you slap as soon as you get hit by their first swing it doesnt matter how precise you are with swingblock, no one can swingblock that timing

edit: I should say that in my experience being where I'm at with dueling atm, duels have progressed from 4 hit spam and slap spam into actually half swing/Acm-offs.

it's quite a nice dynamic in that both sides feel scared to do longer combos because they know how easy it is to get slapped if they know that first hit timing, so you get this kind of short/irregular comboing to try to bait the other person into slapping and then going in and 4 hitting because they messed the timing up

people who 4 hit constantly get absolutely destroyed once you go up against even a mid-top tier player (I should know so as I used to CONSTANTLY pb first hit -> 4 hit and I had to break that habit because I was getting slapped and half swinged on the ground like there was no tomorrow once people started playing more of an ACM focused meta)

Well at an even higher level you end up meeting some of the people I meet. At the highest level it is less about spam and more about footwork/yawing, but you will eventually meet those players that like to trade you to death with 4 hits, and slap will not work against them. Trust me on that.

As for swingblock, I want swingblock to prevent you from continuing a combo. You use your swingblock to bait a slap, and then you can punish that missed slap by going ham with combos. I don't mind if you can swingblock 4 half swings in a row, but you should not be able to swingblock every swing of a combo. Should end your combo the moment you press block. That would make swingblock more of a conscious decision instead of an unconscious (do it always) decision.

Well at an even higher level you end up meeting some of the people I meet. At the highest level it is less about spam and more about footwork/yawing
i give up arguing with you, you're so convinced that you're one of the best duelists the world has ever seen that you deny things based on the premise that other people aren't at your level and therefore can't have possibly witnessed the extremely top tier duels that you so frequently get into

i'm not sitting here saying i'm top EU or anything but dueling people like Shilling, SK5, Kael who definitely are top players this is the kind of meta that occurs in both duels I have with them and duels they have with eachother

I mean ok footwork comes into it, and because of the halfswing/Acm war its a lot about good timing and well placed hits/well timed slaps but yawing? It's not like its really hard to be good at yaw, and people rarely lose duels because the other person has better yaw than them

but you will eventually meet those players that like to trade you to death with 4 hits, and slap will not work against them. Trust me on that.
Slap will work, just slap them after their first hit like I just said and don't waste your slap

if you're so high up in dueling ability why can't you slap 4 hit spammers

also: don't you play cyan?

edit: I've just noticed above you said people crouch 4 hits to stop getting slapped, yh thats annoying tbf but the lower damage makes it less of a problem than people make out imo, i do agree that its annoying playstyle which takes a lot less skill than remaining standing however

Last edited:
made a lil quip about some such and added a video clip, gonna make it into an actual video

as a kind of holdover u guise ever listened to 'The Unicorn Invasion of Dundee'?

Last edited:

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Well i didn't play those, but weren't there instagib grenades then ? No way jedi would be too OP with those.
Hold block and only lose 10 HP from one of those supposed instagib grenades. Non-blocking damage reduction was around 50%. When blocking at full FP and getting shot in the back you would lose around 2 HP from an E11.