Why does Gargos have access to JAMME features?

4131c1fd33d66c08b407ab402e659281.png

How is this fair to other content creators? Boycott Movie Battles 2.

Upvote 0

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Depending on the source code, would it be possible to recreate something similar in order to have a non GPL source code?

Yes but with a lot of work. Think years.

Though with code, how much is needed to make your own work, with the language, the compiler, the libraries/modules/other dependencies. At what point does something belong to someone. The only way to have a full copyright would be to make something in binary, otherwise you can get got and there are bound to be similar patterns in most code.

Both the source code and the binary are protected by copyright. Transforming a work from one format to another does not affect the copyright. Just like the film reel out of a camera is as copyrighted as when you buy it on a DVD or when the same film is then released on Blu Ray or on a streaming service. It is the creativity that is protected not the format.

At what point does replicating something and altering it make it your own version?
Never. This is a derivative work. You can in the U.S. use 'Fair Use' as a defence in which case you generally have to show four factors - Ammount of work copied, What its purpose was, How its use changed the market (i.e. Monetary damages) and 'transformative' your derivative work is.

How do dependencies affect the copyrights?

Each dependency is owned by it's author and the author licenses it on their own terms. It could be licensed under the GPL, or it could be licensed commercially, Just like when you paid for a copy of JKA.

What determines ownership with code?

Who wrote it and under what terms they wrote it, and then if they chose to sell their rights on (They can also be sold for nothing, or they can be released into the public domain.) For MB2 each individual developer is the copyright holder, however when they join the team they sign a copyright agreement which gives the MBII team a non-revocable license to use and modify their work forever. Only the copyright owner of a work can has standing to take legal action.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Excatly. I was just pointing out that if there is a version of jaMME enabled version of MBII around it is not being distributed with the MBII Team's permission and would be a violation of our copyright as well as the GPL.
Yeah, but take a look at all those posts above again, including your own. They are a bit misleading:
I wouldn't be happier if I was able to give JAMME to everyone.
Ent cannot distribute source code containing JAMME
jaMME is available for everybody already; In fact, it's GPL program, fork of OpenJK, and ent wouldn't be able to stop distributing its source even if he wanted to.
jaMME can be downloaded here: Source code | Binaries

Movie Battles dlls is a different story: turned out they had some GPLed code inside, so dev team was forced to delete that code.
Since then, most of jaMME's features don't work with MBII.
..how did you even associate russian nationality to that expression?
Because it look like a very direct attempt to translate Russian idiom "платить натурой".
it is part of the english language and culture as proven by Urban Dictionary: Pay me in nature
Yes, but googling shows that the much more common version of that phrase is "paying in kind", not "paying in nature".
That's why I assumed that Russian is your native language.
when they join the team they sign a copyright agreement which gives the MBII team a non-revocable license to use and modify their work forever.
I wonder what exactly said in that copyright agreement -- does MBII team get a permission for publishing that source code, under licenses like GPL or BSD-like?
If such condition does exist, it makes possible open-sourcing Movie Battles much easier, since you don't have to ask all those retired devs for a permission.
If the copyright agreement doesn't give MBII team rights for re-license source code, I have to say that this is a pretty big omission. I'm sure that papers that people sign when they are getting hired by some big corporations, like Microsoft for example, allows those corporations to release sources written during work time whenever corporation feels like they need to release them, under any license.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Shame.

Now, if you decide to publish sources, you have to collect consents fr... Well, you already know it.
I mean, things would be much easier if that condition was part of MBII team's NDA/copyright agreement.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
@RogueWookiee from what I understood he has the last JAMME update before updates ceased to exist. Old jamme can work in newer and older builds. The older/newer the builds get the more buggy everything becomes with JAMME. Honestly not sure how aaron’s jamme could still work. My jamme started crashing in many demos around 1.5.1or earlier even. I got my dev jamme updated around 1.5.8 but 1.6 and above is pretty buggy