Why does Gargos have access to JAMME features?

4131c1fd33d66c08b407ab402e659281.png

How is this fair to other content creators? Boycott Movie Battles 2.

Upvote 0

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I hope the dev team would at least update pug mod so it could be used. It is a lot harder to use but it would be a lot more than what we have for now, I used to use pug mod a lot in my earlier videos

We did a test compile 2-3 builds ago to see if pugmod still worked. Seemed to. Just a matter of remembering on release to make it.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I'd just be happy if I could go into spectator mode during demo replays or switch POV's not just mine.
That is what I thought. Going to spectate mode is simple enough in pug mod. Camera paths are a different story, though.

That is what I thought. Going to spectate mode is simple enough in pug mod. Camera paths are a different story, though.
You should upload your jamme thing somewhere, it's not really your fault but surely you can see its a bit BS on everyone else having to struggle their way through making any kind of footage when you have such easy access to it

what annoys me about it is that it's like an inner circle of people who have it and then the majority of those who don't, it doesn't really set a good example for the community when it's one rule for one and one rule for another, so whilst you're (rightfully so) somewhat afraid of releasing it publicly, you should in my opinion give it to people who ask you for it

also someone obviously made it:
968_F0013_6103_45_B6_872_C_DF2_E8_C244_A9_C.jpg

Last edited:

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
You should upload your jamme thing somewhere, it's not really your fault but surely you can see its a bit BS on everyone else having to struggle their way through making any kind of footage when you have such easy access to it
I get it that it is bullshit, but there is nothing that can be done about it, at least not for now. Just because JAMME cannot be used by the wide audience, it should not be able to be used by anyone, then? I will never spread this software unless said otherwise because that could put the whole game in danger and it would not be worth the risk.

You have to understand, I wouldn't be happier if I was able to give JAMME to everyone. It is a wonderful piece of software that makes editing mb2 videos so, so much easier. Why else would I bother to put in dozens of hours into making a tutorial of PUG MOD, just for the sake of other people getting the chance to make videos too? I've spent hundreds of hours making mb2 videos and struggled enough with learning the cryptic ways of pug mod (and making videos before I even knew about pug mod) way before anyone even knew about JAMME becoming compatible with mb2, so you do not need to preach me about struggling with making mb2 videos.

Things simply are what they are and that is that public distribution of JAMME is illegal. It would be a problem if JAMME fell in to the hands of wrong people and then be distributed publicly.

also someone obviously made it
Yep, Ent, but making it and using it privately is not illegal.

Gargos is right. It's a tricky legal situation that could potentially get the MB2 team in big trouble. I know videos are important for spreading awareness of the mod and bringing in new/old players, but it's not worth the risk of completely destroying everything.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
To be 100 percent clear. JAMME is not in the MBII code base post 1.4.5.

Ent cannot distribute source code containing JAMME to anyone if he has it. Any distribution would be in breach of the GPL. Any distribution is not with the authorisation of the MBII team. I will look into this.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
This is what I have:

In order for other avid users of pugmod to avoid the problems I faced with difficulty understanding the read-mes, here are the easy steps to using pugmod (provided you have the pugmod_stuff_r3.zip):

1. Download pugmod_stuff_r3.zip or whatever upcoming version is released.
(404 - Page Not Found - GameFront)
2. Take a demo of whatever you wish
3. Load up Pugmod through the "mods" section of the game.
4. Go to a cheats-allowed version of the map featured in your demo (for example, /devmap mp/ffa3 for the Tatooine FFA Map).
5. Go into the position you want to the transition cam to start (this would be the end of the node tree).
6. Type in /addloc (the time you wish the demo cam to start, for example if the part of the clip you wanted starts at 1 minute and 5 seconds, you would do Min:Seconds.Milliseconds. An example would be /addloc 1:05.000)
7. The camera needs at least one more node in the transition cam to go from "point to point". You've already done the "first cam" which was the addloc one, but you need to end the node tree. You do this by using the /insloc command which inserts a node into the node tree. Go into the next position you wish to add a cam, and then do /insloc Min:Seconds.Miliseconds. For instance, you would do /insloc 1 1:10.000 to add another cam. 8. You can add as many cams as you wish by doing /insloc 2 *time* and /insloc 3 *time* and so on.
9. The node tree should be showing with green nodes and a red camera path line, but if it isn't do /showcam.
10. Then do /savecamcfg *whatevernameyouwant.cfg*. For example, /savecamcfg testcam.cfg
11. Load up the demo and type in /exec *nameofcfg*, for example /exec testcam.cfg
12. Then type in the camera mode you want, whether it be /pug_demos_cameramode 4 (keeps the angles set by the path), /pug_demos_cameramode 5 (forces the camera to centre the player as it travels along the path), 6 and 7 centre on only 2 out of the 3 axis (look at the read-me's for my information)
13. If you want to render the demo with the pugmod camera angles do /cam_autorecord (frames/sec) This is basically like the cl_avidemo function, which means
that you would probably use /cam_autorecord 30 (because that is the best cl_avidemo unless you want
faster action or slow-motion, in that case double it or halve it, respectively)

(Three screenshots show you how to do this in console in case you are confused)

14. Then do cl_avidemo *number*, the number is the value that the /cam_autorecord was set to.

This is how I managed to do this, although with pugmod it seems you can customise things and tinker with it for different camera speeds, angles, and so on.

For more help dealing with pugmod, visit the following topic at the Beyond Suppression forums:

http://www.beyondsuppression.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=21&p=1 (page 2 is especially relevant)

Also read your read-me's, although not all of it applies and it can be a bit confusing, it still
has good information about changing camera speeds and so on.

Hope this helps.

to create paths with the improved interface, use these commands (most are self explanatory):
removecam - delete a cam node
removeallcams - reset the cam node tree
savecamcfg - save the current node setup to a cfg file you can execute during demo playback. be aware that this command APPENDS the commands, so you can't overwrite old files unless you delete them first. this can be worked around by changing the filename each time - savecamcfg cam1.cfg, savecamcfg cam2.cfg, and so on.
showcam - display cam data in console and change the green bubble to white to hilight the node visually. if no argument is passed, it lists all the cams in console.
addloc - append a node from the player's current position to the end of the node tree
insloc - insert a node from the player's current position into the given point in the node tree
replloc - replace the entered node with the player's current location
rotatecam360 / rotatecam-360 - make a cam node rotate forward or backward 360 degrees (to stop the spinning that sometimes happens) use /showcam to figure out which ones need rotating

the entire spline path is now shown visually in the map, with the green bubbles representing nodes and a line showing the path the cam will take.

use the console command /previewcam to run through the entire path and see how the movement + angles will look like.

other pugmod cvars:

pug_demos_cameramode - anywhere from 0 to 7, toggles different camera modes. 0 is default view, 1 is "spectator" mode (removes camera and allows the player to navigate around with normal movement binds), 2 and 3 freely rotate around the player in first or third person, 4 and up are used for playback of camera spline paths: 4 keeps the angles set by the path, 5 forces the camera to center the current player, 6 and 7 center on only 2 out of 3 axes.

pug_demospec - change the player who you're currently watching in the demo. somewhat bugged and can cause crashes, but in general it works ok. can be used in conjuction with pug_demos_cameramode 5 to chase different players.

clientserverstatus - shows player names and id numbers, usually used to find the right player id to put into pug_demospec

cam_autorecord - once camera playback begins, automatically set cl_avidemo to the value thiscvar is set to

to play back a camera in a demo, simply load the demo then /exec the cfg file in console. note that no change will be seen until you enter pug_demos_cameramode 4 or greater, and even then no change will occur until the start of the cam has been reached in the demo.

demopos - this command will navigate quickly to a point forward in time in demo playback. be careful to respect the format that it requires - a typo can send you flying ahead far futher than you may have intended. the format is MM:SS.SSS (fractions of seconds are optional, as well as seconds for that matter - demopos 2 will navigate to 2 minutes in, demopos 2:30 will go to 2 minutes and 30 seconds in). this is based off the game timer, so if multiple games are recorded in a demo then you may have to use it more than once.

ui_noscope - remove the zoom effect and the scope from being drawn. this way you can take normal thirdperson shots of snipers without going to first when they go to scope mode. use overrideTP 1 in conjunction with this to get footage of snipers

overrideTP (MBII version only) - always force player model to be drawn, no matter what (even in first person view, during sniper scope, etc)

ui_fragsonly - remove all 2d text and graphics except the "you killed ..." line. identical to cg_draw2d 0 except for the fragged by line.

TO ACHIEVE A TRUE WIREFRAME MODE - when ingame, set r_singleShader to 1 then do a vid_restart. next set the cvar "developer" to 1, then set r_showTris to 2. this should cause the map to turn black (players, weapons, and other entities will remain colored).

------ PNG VERSION ONLY -------
mme_* - cvars which define how to save the screenshots.

mme_blurframes will take multiple shots and blur them together before saving them, creating a crisp and clean motion blur effect (seen in many modern q3-style vids).

use the included jamp_png.exe and use cl_avidemo as usual to enable capturing to png. to save a single screenshot as png use the command screenshot_png.

mme_saveDepth, mme_depthRange and mme_depthFocus control the saving of the depth mask (for things like depth of field).

mme_workmegs sets the amount of memory the png saving system should use (for blurring, etc).

legal mumbo jumbo:

Copyright (c) 2006, teh / dumbledore
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name of PUGMod nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

CamtraceJKA: Commands
---------------------------------
Date: 06 July 06

All commands that require a parameter can be issued without the
parameter to gain additional information on the command's current
setting even if the command itself is disabled.

Note: all of the commands listed below are in addition to the commands
that are shipped with the default Jedi Academy game.

====================================
General Camera commands

CamtraceJKA: Commands
---------------------------------
Date: 06 July 06

All commands that require a parameter can be issued without the
parameter to gain additional information on the command's current
setting even if the command itself is disabled.

Note: all of the commands listed below are in addition to the commands
that are shipped with the default Jedi Academy game.

General Camera commands

addloc [min:sec.msec] [TP]
- append a node from the player's current position to the end of the node tree
TP - attaches the camera to the player with thirdpersonrange as distance

insloc
- insert a node from the player's current position into the given point in the
node tree

removecam
- delete a cam node

removeallcams
- reset the cam node tree

savecamcfg
- save the current node setup to a cfg file you can execute during demo
playback

showcam
- display cam data in console and change the green bubble to white to hilight
the node visually.if no argument is passed, it lists all the cams in
console.

replloc
- replace the entered node with the player's current location

pug_demos_cameramode [1-4]

1 - Freecam;
2 - Freelook in player view
3 - Freelook in thirdperson view
4 - SplineCam

pug_demospec [playerid]
- spec another player on the server

pug_demos_timescalelesscams [1,0]
- deactivates/activates if timescale has an effect on the camera movement

pug_demos_HidePackageEntities [0] - [default: 0]

pug_demos_HideLocalEntities [0] - [default: 0]

cam_autorecord [frames/sec] - [like avidemo]
- automatically records the cam

General commands

clientserverstatus
- shows a list with all players on the server/demo and their id's

cg_timescalefadespeed

cg_timescalefadeend

cl_freezedemo
- freezes the demo

ui_fragsonly [0,1]
- hides all hud components except for frag message

ui_noscope [0,1]
- hides the sniper scope

Not all of this applies to how it would be used in mb2 but a good chunk of it.

For the record @Gargos I'm not trying to make this an argument against you, it's more of an argument at the whole group who are using it, and whilst your argument is valid, it also doesn't change that the situation is unfair/frustrating for others

as to what can be done about it, I guess making a pug tutorial would be a good start, and it's not something that you neccessarily should have to do to prove your innocence, after all it isn't you that's handing it out

surely theres a way you can modify the code of JAMME so that it doesn't breach GPL, or am I misunderstanding?

Pugmod sure seem to be another interesting kind of software. For it being so much more complicated than Jamme, does it have more features? Or does it have even less? Also is it possible for the near future (since Jamme isn't really a thing anymore), for pug mod to be integrated into mb2? maybe even polished and made simpler? Would be awesome if you could make a video tutorial for it @Gargos !

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Where can I find pugmod? Googling but ain't finding it anywhere. :(

You need a custom MB2 build. Which we haven't done for the current patch at this time. Might have to wait until our next patch.

Pugmod sure seem to be another interesting kind of software. For it being so much more complicated than Jamme, does it have more features?

Pugmod is essentially the precursor to JAMME. So a lot more outdated and less user friendly.

Pugmod is essentially the precursor to JAMME. So a lot more outdated and less user friendly.
It shouldnt be priority but developing something similar to JAMME would be a good thing to do for the community IMO, maybe use pugmod as a starting point or start with JAMME and stop it breaching GPL

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah pug mod has some severe flaws and is basically inferior to JAMME in every possible way. Doesnt mean you cannot use it but it takes some real effort to get into using it. Thats why I have given thought to making a video tutorial to make it a bit less painful to learn it.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
@ent As far as I remember about the lines of code that breached, it was like 10 lines or so (at least what I saw). Why is it so difficult to just reword the code to not be violating.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
paying in nature
Are you Russian?
Ent cannot distribute source code containing JAMME to anyone if he has it. Any distribution would be in breach of the GPL.
Excuse me?
From all those long discussions we had in the past I've got an impression that jaMME wasn't the problem, it was Movie Battles dll that had some GPL code inside.
That GPLed code was required by jaMME, but GPL forbids placing any GPLed code into proprietary binaries.
Once MBII devs found out that their mod is infected with General Public License, they removed those code fragments from next Movie Battles release, which broke compatibility with jaMME.

Though, if jaMME and MBII had some API to communicate, some API that doesn't exist in Jedi Academy, that would be a problem as well, since GPL also forbids dynamic linking of GPL binaries to proprietary binaries.
GPL covers plug-ins. GPL doesn't allow creating closed-source plug-ins/libraries for GPL programs, and in reverse.
GPL has an exception for system libraries, like Microsoft WinAPI dlls and C++ run-times.
Distributing GPL-covered software without source code is a direct violation, it's against of will of creators that GPL software.
That may be considered as a 'stealing'.
People released their program for free, in public, and they made a clear stipulation for further use of their intellectual property: do not use it in closed-source derived works.

Unlike people who already posted in this thread, I doubt there would be legal consequences if MBII team decided to violate GPL. Suing in real world does require time, money and effort.
The only possible reaction could came from hosting companies, they are supposed to threat GPL-violating software as a pirated software. Those companies include Cloadflare, GitHub and jkhub.

But what bugs me the most, is that violating GPL is just a very poor moral choice, which shows a lack of ethic code. Such behavior is heavily disrespected in IT community.
It shouldnt be priority but developing something similar to JAMME would be a good thing to do for the community IMO, maybe use pugmod as a starting point or start with JAMME and stop it breaching GPL
To make AmericajaMME great again, it needs to do just one thing: release Movie Battles II source code under GPL (or any compatible) license.
After that, MBII will get a privilege to use any GPL code, even without author's permission.
There is a petition about making Movie Battles open-sourced, but it wasn't supported by development team: Help me make MB2 Open-Sourced

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Excuse me?
From all those long discussions we had in the past I've got an impression that jaMME wasn't the problem, it was Movie Battles dll that had some GPL code inside.
That GPL code was required by jaMME, but GPL forbids placing any GPL code into proprietary binaries.
Once MBII devs found out that their mod is infected with General Public License they removed those code fragments from next Movie Battles release, which broke compatibility with jaMME.

Excatly. I was just pointing out that if there is a version of jaMME enabled version of MBII around it is not being distributed with the MBII Team's permission and would be a violation of our copyright as well as the GPL.

Are you Russian?
..how did you even associate russian nationality to that expression?
it is part of the english language and culture as proven by Urban Dictionary: Pay me in nature

Excatly. I was just pointing out that if there is a version of jaMME enabled version of MBII around it is not being distributed with the MBII Team's permission and would be a violation of our copyright as well as the GPL.
Depending on the source code, would it be possible to recreate something similar in order to have a non GPL source code?

Though with code, how much is needed to make your own work, with the language, the compiler, the libraries/modules/other dependencies. At what point does something belong to someone. The only way to have a full copyright would be to make something in binary, otherwise you can get got and there are bound to be similar patterns in most code.

At what point does replicating something and altering it make it your own version?
How do dependencies affect the copyrights?
What determines ownership with code?

ent

Movie Battles II Team
The only one who can demand the source code is the owner of the binaries built with GPL-covered code A.K.A. @Gargos . And just him personally.
Anyways, none is distributing anything GPL violated for more than a year already (?)(not sure when that drama has started), so he has it outdated.
And the old topics were already over-discussed along and across.
It's fine now.