Why, and bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, and I have certainly learned a lot from criticism of levels throughout the years. However I have seen it time and time again, the idea that "developers are bad, they're ruining the game". That is one of the farthest things from criticism that I can think of. It offers no actual feedback as to what we did wrong. I've seen for example people saying "Developers fucked up the saber system". Okay, it is impossible to F**k up the entire thing. Which parts did we F**k up? What parts don't you like? Making generic statements like "Developers are bad, they've screwed up the saber system once again with stupid changes" that I have seen more times than I can count in recent years isn't even the least bit helpful, and isn't even criticism. That kind of "feedback" is literally useless to me and anyone developing the game as it has nothing helpful about it. I want feedback and criticism, not flaming.

Yes there are people that provide proper feedback and criticism even on the saber system, only using examples here. Thank you to those people.
Yeah I saw a bunch of people. It's like nothing new. I was playing on GC server and saw 'Padawan'(no comments here) that told this: 'Omg! This saber system sucks! Gunners are so Op! Nerf them!' What in the actual f**k. He couldn't duel and told me this: 'Jamesfag u suck. Lucky cunt'.

Know what. If you have so many problems with game and can't do anything, you should just remove it then.

I agree, and I have certainly learned a lot from criticism of levels throughout the years. However I have seen it time and time again, the idea that "developers are bad, they're ruining the game". That is one of the farthest things from criticism that I can think of. It offers no actual feedback as to what we did wrong. I've seen for example people saying "Developers fucked up the saber system". Okay, it is impossible to F**k up the entire thing. Which parts did we F**k up? What parts don't you like? Making generic statements like "Developers are bad, they've screwed up the saber system once again with stupid changes" that I have seen more times than I can count in recent years isn't even the least bit helpful, and isn't even criticism. That kind of "feedback" is literally useless to me and anyone developing the game as it has nothing helpful about it. I want feedback and criticism, not flaming.

Yes there are people that provide proper feedback and criticism even on the saber system, only using examples here. Thank you to those people.
u just read 1.4 feedback again. was a tons of feedback and what? NOTHING changed at release. all answers from devs was like "u nab u dont undestand nothing, we know better, gtfo".
so yeah, now we have this saber system which don't like even those who told how good it was when released.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
u just read 1.4 feedback again. was a tons of feedback and what? NOTHING changed at release. all answers from devs was like "u nab u dont undestand nothing, we know better, gtfo".
so yeah, now we have this saber system which don't like even those who told how good it was when released.

Well, a development team can ignore feedback at its discretion. That's not something that can easily be changed.

But, if you can't get any useful information out of 'feedback', then you can't act on it regardless of whether you agree with the person making that feedback. Mace's distinction between constructive criticism and pointless expressions of hatred is one that is applicable to anything in life, not just games.

There's good feedback and then there's bad feedback. Same thing with devs.

But even good feedback won't necessarily precipitate a change. It is now truer than ever, if you genuinely want to see changes you have to put the work in yourself.

Resources were always limited. Age only brings decay.
Night is falling. But you can still see some stars in the sky.

Take that, climate change.

The launcher actually works better than some steam game launchers.
And considering how many devices and platforms have been rendered useless inert garbage...

My original tablets android and ipads...can't even stream Netflix anymore. Even youtube doesn't work.

Getting this ja engine to run at all seems a small miracle.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
That is why my tact for trying to make changes is to be the soft gentle voice of reason, and if that doesn't work, I become the angry insulting voice of logic.

I have long advocated the strict adherence of logical discourse and avoidance of fallacies, yet I've found that throughout my life, people remain ignorant in the face of reason. Sometimes the best method to snap them back to reality, is by humiliating them, destroying their arguments, and making them think that they may very well be wrong. As 'horrible' as that may sound, Empires weren't built on being nice.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Sorry for hijacking into already locked thread, but I just wanted to put my two cents in...

First of all, LoU, I want to thank you for all your great work you did for MBII -- maintaining forums, supporting users, and definitely the Launcher.
Launcher is a great improvement, it made installing mod and detecting broken files much easier. One small app for a computer, one giant leap for Movie Battles :)
MBII never had any serious hierarchy. Yes, there are "leads" and there are "devs".
While it's true, we all know that it's pretty common for projects where developers work in their free time. Most of Linux (free) software lack of hierarchy.
Not a lot can be done with that, because there is no any way to enforce some specific developer to implement decision of leader(s), with only exception of termination his dev status.
But even a threat of kicking person from the team isn't useful, since that member would probably leave the team on his/her own if somebody try to assign him/her for a job he don't want to do.

In the world where developers get money for their work it isn't a problem, because people don't like to lose their jobs.
Chaos the Chaotic said:
Sorry Lou, it has its pros and it has its very real cons considering how much work Puppytine has put in the support section since its inception.
Cannot agree with you, really.
MBII Launcher is extremely useful tool, almost all the time in the Support section I used it to fix issues, rather than having Launcher as an issue itself.
While Launcher has a few (only a few) bugs, and it lacks some functionality, its pros are far more bigger than its cons.
Chaos the Chaotic said:
For the last year+ I've played with a widescreen distortion after some update killed my ability to use mbclient or whatever.
Widescreen stretching has been discussed so many times, and has nothing to do with the Launcher itself. To get rid of that distortion, just switch to jamp engine (MBII Client is exactly you should NOT use in this case):
MBII Launcher => Settings => Engine => JAMP => Play.
If jamp won't be able to run for some reason, that's clearly NOT because of Launcher, but because of MBII code itself, with a combination of jamp and hardware.

Protip: get a real videocard, not Intel stub :)
{?} Achilles said:
Solution: Elect a leader that can organize development changes properly.
Won't work because of reasons I've already explained. Leader wouldn't have any actual power to make other devs implement her decisions... the only option is if leader could do everything on his/her own. One man army.
LoU said:
I came back to bring MBII back to life. Kinda twice

First time Sxx reached me whe jNive disappeared with all of our stuff (domain, hosting, files, repo etc)
Second time @GoodOl'Ben reached me when Sxx disappeared with all of our stuff (domain, hosting, files, repo etc - Downtime, Cause and Consequences )
OMG
THAT HAPPENED TWICE???!!
You guys lost all your stuff TWO times in very same way?
Yeah, now I see Mace's post explaining things, but this is hilarious and very scary at the same time...
Please tell me you've designed some solution that won't allow the disaster happen for the third time, no matter which person from dev team go into meltdown :( :( :(

That Sxx story is the another reason why your leaving makes pretty sad, LoU.
I came back to MBII in that exact moment when almost everything were down, and all those events was pretty surprising for me... I wasn't even sure that Movie Battles existed anymore in the first place, so I just was googling things, and soon I discovered ModDB page and all related info, etc etc.
So I watched MBII team rebuilding resources, but now almost every member who participated in rebuilding has a "retired" badge, and that makes me anxious.
LoU said:
@Chaos the Chaotic None of the warnings you received are related to this thread, for sure not directly
But he was banned few days ago, dunno why.

Status
Not open for further replies.