The return of damage reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol why?
Not having a problem killing Jedi/Sith, but giving an insta-kill class the ability to tank shots is silly. Having the .75x DR while blocking is fine tbh but giving the 20% DR feels like catering to a class that can already do everything.

For instance: Had a sith charge my teammate and swinging wildly with blue, hit him in the back (possibly in the head, hard to say, but definitely upper body) with 4 or 5 shots. Guy still has 15 hp by the time I'm dead. That's a kill last build.

Just bring back b18.02

Discuss.

The damage reduction should not affect headshots, just body and limbs.
If that was indeed a headshot, an error may have occurred.

Preston

Nerd
It cause jedi were nerfed a decent amount this build. Removal of open perks, so no more red half damage, no more cyan acrobatics, etc.. And now there's flinch, and now Yellow cost's 8 points instead of 6. I think giving a 20 percent damage reduction is a decent compromise

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
It cause jedi were nerfed a decent amount this build. Removal of open perks, so no more red half damage, no more cyan acrobatics, etc.. And now there's flinch, and now Yellow cost's 8 points instead of 6. I think giving a 20 percent damage reduction is a decent compromise

Except it is the wrong type of compromise. I'm all for nerfing Jedi/Sith against gunners, but they pretty much just removed a bunch of flavor from the saber styles, and nerfed some of the weaker blasters with the 20 percent damage reduction. Ultimately they did, pretty much nothing, except redistribute what is OP and why.

But that is 1.4 in a nutshell, take away all the fun in the name of what a couple of people consider 'skill'

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
and nerfed some of the weaker blasters with the 20 percent damage reduction. Ultimately they did, pretty much nothing, except redistribute what is OP and why.

Weaker blasters are less affected by the reduction if someone can aim relatively accurately. Pistol 1 gets a 5 dmg loss where as pistol 3 is 9 for example. However, over the course of 5 shots P3 and P1 both lose a single shot worth of damage. Over multiple consecutive shots things tend to even out across all weapons. The only things you see issues with are the "skill shots" being EE-3 sniper and T-21 primary but if you have enough skill to hit them properly (headshot) they should still kill or be close to it with the hit location multipliers.

but they pretty much just removed a bunch of flavor from the saber styles

Passive perks really aren't flavor. They're cheap and uninteresting ways of simulating differences without actually creating it. Real differences need to be added in terms of animations and active mechanics. Passives require nothing to use effectively. Passive perks are not fun. Is hero heal fun? Nope its just kinda there, is soldier speed buffs to CC fun? Not really, its just nice to have. Certain classes having the passive ability to roll over others doesn't really add fun to their classes it adds frustration when its not there. They were removed because it was the cheapest route because developers do not work 40+ hours a week with a 300 man team. We should be doing a lot more work to ALL of the "perks" that exist in the game.

If were not successful and not doing the right thing why has a very popular PC critic praised us several times alone in the past few months? Why did everyone harping on battlefront tell people to go play Movie Battles for a solid experience? Why have I seen random people I don't even know tell developers of other games on reddit to look at Movie Battles as the best example of asymmetrical balance they've ever seen and to use it as an example? Why have I seen developers say that they based their Melee systems off of Movie Battles (Blade Symphony, Chivalry, etc. have stated it before) if were so bad at this? All we did this build was realize a mistake we made in terms of saberist vs gunner and reverted it. Should the damage reduction stay? Probably not but you can't just remove the perks without adding what was there prior so that you can adequately see the affect of all of the other changes that happened between that.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Passive perks really aren't flavor. They're cheap and uninteresting ways of simulating differences without actually creating it. Real differences need to be added in terms of animations and active mechanics. Passives require nothing to use effectively. Passive perks are not fun. Is hero heal fun?
I agree that with most passive perk possibilities, this is going to be the case, but with properly chosen ones, i think it's totally possible to have passive perks force a change in the way a style has to be played to bring out its utmost effectiveness, forcing the player (and his opponents yes) to rethink his tactics. The problem would be the same with an active skill, one can find a large range of active skills such as the addition of a powerful special move that wouldn't change the tactics of the saber style at all, only buff it overall without much flavor.

So i still stand by the idea that the implementation of the perks was just cheaply and poorly made (which is the truth anyways), but the concept itself has alot of potential. Much like you already said and Starushka suggested some time ago, the perks would need to enhance the style in a way but also add a weakpoint to further differentiate it from the others and make sure to shift its gameplay in a new way yet still balanced. I also think that with well-chosen perks which would only affect stats related to saber-using abilities (and not things like FP regen or dmg reduction...), it wouldn't even be a problem for the style to be hidden and to have the ability to instantly switch between styles (and it would be perfectly realistic, why would a skilled jedi be forced to reveal his stance after all).

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Weaker blasters are less affected by the reduction if someone can aim relatively accurately. Pistol 1 gets a 5 dmg loss where as pistol 3 is 9 for example. However, over the course of 5 shots P3 and P1 both lose a single shot worth of damage. Over multiple consecutive shots things tend to even out across all weapons. The only things you see issues with are the "skill shots" being EE-3 sniper and T-21 primary but if you have enough skill to hit them properly (headshot) they should still kill or be close to it with the hit location multipliers.

But the difference in skill gaps was widened severely between HRoF weapons and skill-shot weapons. My point being, flinch/damage resistance buff the *wrong* weapons. Only certain weapons should flinch, and the damage reduction should be removed.

Do you know how trivial it is for me to kill certain gunner classes with lightning 2+Cyan, even with flinch? Only classes that actually gave me trouble in 1.4, are the same classes that give me trouble in 1.3.

Passive perks really aren't flavor. They're cheap and uninteresting ways of simulating differences without actually creating it. Real differences need to be added in terms of animations and active mechanics. Passives require nothing to use effectively. Passive perks are not fun. Is hero heal fun? Nope its just kinda there, is soldier speed buffs to CC fun? Not really, its just nice to have. Certain classes having the passive ability to roll over others doesn't really add fun to their classes it adds frustration when its not there. They were removed because it was the cheapest route because developers do not work 40+ hours a week with a 300 man team. We should be doing a lot more work to ALL of the "perks" that exist in the game.

If were not successful and not doing the right thing why has a very popular PC critic praised us several times alone in the past few months? Why did everyone harping on battlefront tell people to go play Movie Battles for a solid experience? Why have I seen random people I don't even know tell developers of other games on reddit to look at Movie Battles as the best example of asymmetrical balance they've ever seen and to use it as an example? Why have I seen developers say that they based their Melee systems off of Movie Battles (Blade Symphony, Chivalry, etc. have stated it before) if were so bad at this? All we did this build was realize a mistake we made in terms of saberist vs gunner and reverted it. Should the damage reduction stay? Probably not but you can't just remove the perks without adding what was there prior so that you can adequately see the affect of all of the other changes that happened between that.

I completely disagree. Cyan was my favorite style because I enjoyed the interaction with parries, and how it felt to use against multiple opponents. Using superior footwork to quickly parry stray swings until I got something that I liked to Mblock/Pblock->Counter. It was my favorite style, and it had nothing to do with it being 'OP' or the like (Because it wasn't), if I really needed to stomp someone, I would *not* use cyan. Cyan to me was a decent style that had strengths and weaknesses like any other, wasn't OP, or UP, BUT people didn't know how to deal with a style based around parrying, and as a result, they made it boring for the wrong reasons.

Passive perks are perfectly fine, active perks are also fine. It depends on what they are. Staff's perk gives it flavor. Red's perk gave it flavor. Cyan's perk gave it flavor. Although now pretty much every style plays the same as another.

And I don't think you did, because Movie Battles II is not the perfect example of any of these things. I think you're seeing this with tinted glasses. MBII should be looking towards other games for ideas/balance suggestions, rather than this weird congealed mixture that feels like CS;GO tried to turn star wars.

Battlefront has *vastly* superior gun play. The one thing that I loved about MBII over any other game, was the saber system, and how it seamlessly transferred from fighting gunners to other jedi. Sadly, 1.4 is just boring to me. It is honestly like a slightly more complicated version of battlefront's dueling now. Yes there is still skill involved, but it certainly doesn't feel as good as 1.3, and I just get so bored, whether I win or lose (and I mostly win).

As for the gunner vs saberist stuff, I'm perfectly fine with nerfing saberists, infact I want saberists to be nerfed, I want shots from blasters to have more weight to them, and I want the game to feel more like the movies. However, that isn't the route people seem to be taking it. To nerf Saberists, I would have just made deflection require more skill, and have a smaller deflection radius, and heavily nerf certain weapons, like CR3. Flinching would also only work on skill-shot specific weapons, like T-21 Primary, or Westar charge shot.

I feel like the best path for a new dev to take, would be to leave 1.4 in for a while, but revert back to 1.3 and work to perfecting the already stable system. Nudge has to go, and it will go at some point. 1.3 was stable and fine, it just needed minor tweaks/polish. From what I've heard from numerous people, these kinds of changes have happened over and over in MBII's history, and when people get it, they realize how bad it is, then remove it, then later on they want it again.

Last edited:
Why not? With the introduction of flinch, there doesn't seem to be any problem with gunners mowing down saberist if they can aim. Especially if we are talking about weapons such as p3.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Do you know how trivial it is for me to kill certain gunner classes with lightning 2+Cyan, even with flinch? Only classes that actually gave me trouble in 1.4, are the same classes that give me trouble in 1.3.

Same classes give you trouble but 1.4 shifted the balance to others... okay completely contradict yourself.

And I don't think you did, because Movie Battles II is not the perfect example of any of these things. I think you're seeing this with tinted glasses. MBII should be looking towards other games for ideas/balance suggestions, rather than this weird congealed mixture that feels like CS;GO tried to turn star wars.

Again putting words in my mouth. Cut it the fuck out I'm getting tired of it. I never said there was nothing MBII shouldn't look at in other games to use as ideas for balance or general quality of life features. There is a crap ton that has come from other games as well. MBII is far from perfect. No game is perfect, they all have their flaws in some form.

Battlefront has *vastly* superior gun play.

It has smoother more responsive gunplay which is a result of better technology that is capable of processing everything better allowing for the input to be read faster as well as client side hit detection instead of server (which causes a delay between you hitting the button and actually firing) among other things. That is the only thing battlefront has in terms of superior gunplay. Actual indepth mechanics and variety? MBII destroys battlefront, it isn't even a contest.

Honestly, in a perfect world. MB2 team would be a professionally funded studio and there would not be a fear of C&D's. And that is when we could probably move on from the quake engine, an engine designed for arena arcade combat with weapons instant killing or having AoE.

It's not a bad engine, but I wouldn't use it for a starwars game. I would use the phoenix engine.
And in this perfect world the phoenix engine would be fully modifiable and THQ wouldn't be dead :C

The best future we got right now is Eridian crisis, that I hope doesn't go unfinished like the thousands of mods out there.

Last edited:
Did I just see someone say battlefront has superior gunplay? HAAHAAHAHAHAHA
Well battlefront doesn't have slow projectiles and uses realistic speeds, and has iron sights.
And thats because they used the battlefield engine, an engine designed around assault rifles and war.

I understand what he ment but this is a mod group, they don't have the tools to be as professional and the hours to make a game with the amount of polish battlefront has. They are bunch of people in their 20's that I would assume attend college.

Preston

Nerd
Well battlefront doesn't have slow projectiles and uses realistic speeds, and has iron sights.
And thats because they used the battlefield engine, an engine designed around assault rifles and war.

I understand what he ment but this is a mod group, they don't have the tools to be as professional and the hours to make a game with the amount of polish battlefront has. They are bunch of people in their 20's that I would assume attend college.
Just cause Battlefront has a fancy engine with high bullet speeds. (which I think is worse btw) Doesn't mean it has any where close to superior gunplay. MB2 is far more in depth

Sylar

Donator
Honestly, in a perfect world. MB2 team would be a professionally funded studio and there would not be a fear of C&D's. And that is when we could probably move on from the quake engine, an engine designed for arena arcade combat with weapons instant killing or having AoE.

It's not a bad engine, but I wouldn't use it for a starwars game. I would use the phoenix engine.
And in this perfect world the phoenix engine would be fully modifiable and THQ wouldn't be dead :C

The best future we got right now is Eridian crisis, that I hope doesn't go unfinished like the thousands of mods out there.
This.

Mb2 have so much to offer and it would have way more if we could bypass problems like engine and money. I was hyped when I first saw something about Mb3 but now its nothing more than a shattered dream. Well, hopes up for EC.

Depth is great but if the guns feel like bow combat on the fundamental level, then there is an issue.
And it isn't their fault for that.

You need to lead your targets far more because the arrow itself is slow and takes longer to reach a target.
Where using a rifle per-say you just need to aim an inch ahead of the person to hit, and the bullet reaching the target is almost instantaneous.

After a 3 weeks of playing rust exclusively, ive noticed that combat leading is very similar to mb2's.

You need to lead your targets far more because the arrow itself is slow and takes longer to reach a target.
Where using a rifle per-say you just need to aim an inch ahead of the person to hit, and the bullet reaching the target is almost instantaneous.

After a 3 weeks of playing rust exclusively, ive noticed that combat leading is very similar to mb2's.

So...any weapon with projectiles that don't immediately hit their target?

Status
Not open for further replies.