Tempest's Saber Build

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
That is the exact opposite of what 1.3 was. The skill ceiling was low and there was 0 fairness between styles. Timing and techniques didn't mean anything, it was just about abusing broken styles and perks.

If the skill ceiling was so low then why were the top players still the top? 0 Fairness between the styles? Surely you must be joking, the only overpowered styles were purple and partially Staff, every other style was beatable by every other style. I don't think you ever knew how to play well in 1.3.

Wasn't. It's his nostalgia that drives him towards it. It isn't all better in comparision.

Considering I recently went back, played 1.3, and said "It isn't perfect, a lot needs to be improved, but it is better than everything we've had since. More stable, more fun."

Last edited:
I trust you on this Achilles. Under a different name I always enjoyed fighting you in 1.3. I wasn't around to see Tempest's build, but if it was more like 1.3 then I'd probably like it better. 1.3 was one of the best builds for sabering over the past few years, at least for me. I'm aware that the people who were unwilling to change their tactics didn't enjoy that build much, but given how radical a shift it was, I don't fault them.

Having unique saber perks that noticeably set apart the different styles and complemented their particular niche roles. Most of the styles were evenly balanced and beatable with every other style. There were multiple viable "main" styles people could use, and style switching was a very potent tactic for mixing up fights. It was quite refreshing.

I support the premise of this thread. Hopefully Tempest's build can be released sooner than later. If Tempest has been working on his build for nearly a year with satisfaction from the Open Beta testers, it ought to be released sooner than later. If Stassin can push a release build out that had less than a month (any?) testing, then certainly Tempest deserves to release his more well tested and well-received build.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
so that devs can focus their resources and energy on other new stuff, game modes, maps, tutorials.
This.

We've got something that is good enough and pleases everyone to a moderate degree. Creating something that is perfect to everyone is nigh-impossible.

2cwldys

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Sabering has definately been a hot potato for years in Dev team hands, especially when it determines what keeps players going for so long while they plan out other features, such as said game modes, maps, and UI/tutorial in the making. I would personally enjoy a 1.3 themed-edit but as Achilles said, fix out the knick nacks with perks and styles. While trying to come to some sort of compromise between NA/EU, although "creating something perfect to everyone is nigh-impossible" Ben said, an un-even but enjoyable compromise could do just that. I started in very, very late 1.3 and it was actually pretty enjoyable to watch others duel. Coming to a compromise would be a must, to alas working on other features for the mod.

you can't say dueling is in a place where most people are happy, look at the server list/the majority of EU dueling clans/players

(all dead)

i wanted this build to work but even 1.4.5 was more fun, what we had in 1.5 (forget 1.5.1 its a meme) was realistic but it wasn't as fun as other dueling builds imo.

I think there was an element of rose tinted glasses going on, since Stassin was meant to be in most people's eyes the saviour of MB2. this resulted in people being dishonest (myself included) with the actual flaws of 1.5.

An example of this is people claiming that you can 'play however you want now!!' which is almost the antithesis of the truth, since spamming pb counter combos/halfswings with hyper yaw and masking is the single most efficient way to duel.

other things like staff being borked, blue being way too tanky and red's pb countering being aidsy quick were overlooked because of the hype surrounding the build

if you really compare the activity in EU dueling now compared to 1.4.5 its almost illogical, since most people think 1.5 is better. 1.4.5 had 3/4 active dueling clans with 20+ members (Y4, J, cult, TIN) throughout most of its lifetime. 1.5 has 2 clans (J and TIN), J| being dead (get fucked) and TIN being primarly open players now

Tldr: mb2 players have no idea what they want in the game

EDIT: oh and I think what we do like is options, all styles should be viable.
you want to spam shadowswing? it should work.
you want to be a pb bot? it should work.
you want to abuse ACM? it should work.
you want to be a fidget spinner yawer? it should work.
you get the idea

While it's true 1.4 had more people dueling, competition was stronger and there were things to strive for, I still think 1.5 was a step in the right direction compared to it. 1.5.1 uh uh, buggy and unmotivating.
Regarding the clans, it's accurate that fewer are active now but clans come and go all the time wether the patch is good or bad tbh.

While it's true 1.4 had more people dueling, competition was stronger and there were things to strive for, I still think 1.5 was a step in the right direction compared to it. 1.5.1 uh uh, buggy and unmotivating.
Regarding the clans, it's accurate that fewer are active now but clans come and go all the time wether the patch is good or bad tbh.
more and less i play 1.5 a few weeks before the update, and was mheee. About clans and players, I think if it's because the patch is good and attractive (talking about sabering ofc) and I say it for myself personally I play when the patch I like it if not, I wait for the next and successively

I have been playing this game for a long time and i definitely don't want to see it die. Nowadays I barely play it and even when I do its not even for that long. This patch has pushed a lot of people out of the community because of the way they view the patch. We should open a beta server again with the updated Tempest build and try and make that better and possibly take ideas from 1.5. I don't know why its such a fight to get anything done or changed but I doubt you guys would want this to be the last patch.

Things that need to be brought back

- using heal to cancel a move, which allows you to reset your combo or instantly cancel a blue lunge, ydfa, rdfa, and stab.
- saber twirl, switching to melee then back to saber to swing faster allowing for more dynamic and stylized dueling.
- Pre 1.1 PB mechanic, just bring back putting the lightsaber in between yourself and your opponents swing, no need to kill your wrist in order to PB.
- Bring back NUDGE, omg was dueling so much better when you could nudge -> combo -> half-swing -> combo -> slap -> combo -> heal(to reset combo) -> nudge -> halfswing -> combo -> win duel.

The thing that dueling lacks anymore is creativity and style. No longer are we allowed to have fun with our dueling, no more healing to reset combos, stabs, and special moves. No more twirling the lightsaber to quickly get a red swing in your combo, no more halfswings... What actually happened to this mod. Dueling used to be the big appeal to this mod (IMO) now there really is none. This is why I left 2+ years ago.

k4far

Banned
Donator

Yet again you forget population is different between the builds and you automatically assume its the quality of the recent sabering patch.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Things that need to be brought back

- using heal to cancel a move, which allows you to reset your combo or instantly cancel a blue lunge, ydfa, rdfa, and stab.
- saber twirl, switching to melee then back to saber to swing faster allowing for more dynamic and stylized dueling.
- Pre 1.1 PB mechanic, just bring back putting the lightsaber in between yourself and your opponents swing, no need to kill your wrist in order to PB.
- Bring back NUDGE, omg was dueling so much better when you could nudge -> combo -> half-swing -> combo -> slap -> combo -> heal(to reset combo) -> nudge -> halfswing -> combo -> win duel.

The thing that dueling lacks anymore is creativity and style. No longer are we allowed to have fun with our dueling, no more healing to reset combos, stabs, and special moves. No more twirling the lightsaber to quickly get a red swing in your combo, no more halfswings... What actually happened to this mod. Dueling used to be the big appeal to this mod (IMO) now there really is none. This is why I left 2+ years ago.
You just listed most of the shitty stuff in sabering :-E

Everything, especially normal/neutral block where putting your saber to your opponents swing. Its cancer
How was it cancer? MB2 had the biggest dueling community during that time after RC3 patch 4 or whatever that was

Edit: Version 1.0 (July 19th, 2014)

Last edited:
Yet again you forget population is different between the builds and you automatically assume its the quality of the recent sabering patch.

I duel on a daily basis, while you don't play the game at all. Competition was much tougher pre 1.5. Even in 1.5 good players were still active but ever since 1.5.1 came out most of them just quit and come one maybe once a week. This is a fact and it would be foolish to think it has nothing to do with bugs from current sabering build. It's probably not the only reason, but it's definitely a huge factor.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
How was it cancer? MB2 had the biggest dueling community during that time after RC3 patch 4 or whatever that was

Edit: Version 1.0 (July 19th, 2014)
Even if there was the biggest dueling community during that time doesn't mean it was good. I played Tempest's beta (1.5 beta) and NB was there. It made people much more tanky and holy fuck staff was untouchable because of it. It doesn't even take any skill to do it unlike pbing.

Even if there was the biggest dueling community during that time doesn't mean it was good. I played Tempest's beta (1.5 beta) and NB was there. It made people much more tanky and holy fuck staff was untouchable because of it. It doesn't even take any skill to do it unlike pbing.
I'm talking about bringing back the old PB style, not sure if you were around for that but it was 100% better. No random guessing where they are going to swing from, no random interrupts like you get in this current build. Nudging, halfswings, real effective combos. The system has completely fallen from where it once was.

k4far

Banned
Donator
I duel on a daily basis, while you don't play the game at all. Competition was much tougher pre 1.5. Even in 1.5 good players were still active but ever since 1.5.1 came out most of them just quit and come one maybe once a week. This is a fact and it would be foolish to think it has nothing to do with bugs from current sabering build. It's probably not the only reason, but it's definitely a huge factor.

You are still missing the point, depopulation was happening when Disney took over, our own dramas in that time etc. Your curren5 state kf dueling competition has to do with much more than just the present build.