Tempest's Saber Build

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Though I question the changes to mblock. No more disarms?

No, it would still allow for disarm. Basically it is a theoretical idea regarding making parries weaker, and reintroducing a sort of perfect parry mechanic that can also be done with mblock quadrant matching. Say that you match the mblock quadrant for an opponent's swing, that counts as a parry and you take a bit of damage, or you match the mblock quadrant and time the mblock for a perfect parry. If you get the PB, the timing, and the quadrant all matched, then you get a normal mblock. This would be to allow for heavier styles to parry, because atm it is impossible to parry a faster style with a slower style.

Eazy E

Banned
No, it would still allow for disarm. Basically it is a theoretical idea regarding making parries weaker, and reintroducing a sort of perfect parry mechanic that can also be done with mblock quadrant matching. Say that you match the mblock quadrant for an opponent's swing, that counts as a parry and you take a bit of damage, or you match the mblock quadrant and time the mblock for a perfect parry. If you get the PB, the timing, and the quadrant all matched, then you get a normal mblock. This would be to allow for heavier styles to parry, because atm it is impossible to parry a faster style with a slower style.
Bringing back nudge for red would fix this.

shea conn

Account Suspended
maybe replace instant disarms with a correctly performed mblock, with a lock on system that would either disarm or kill when doing a correct mblock

Yes 1.5 is boring. I prefer styles actually having perks and being "special."

Attachments

• 2c4u0u.jpg
    2c4u0u.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 200
I can't really comment much about sabering but if the next patch reduced the people ripping the community from the inside, that would be cool I guess

k4far

Banned
Donator
but if the next patch reduced the people ripping the community from the inside, that would be cool I guess

HAHA.

You can't fix that. Half of old fags wants 1.3 other half wants different version, some leftovers want something else entirely. This game is about ripping itself from inside through it's development I can see activity being influenced by changes over the years people just rage quit if they are not happy with the changes. Or they are lazy asses and their exploit/bug they have been abusing gets fixed and it "breaks the game" for them. Imo. Developers shouldn't be paying attention much to this. I am happy with most of 1.5 but I am not against bringing certain elements from different versions of sabering if they spice up the fun and "make it better", genuine 1.3 is chunky, unpolished feels like shit and has no flow to it. I am against any swing restrictions being in place it should definitely go. I am not against slowing swings so you can PB everything 100%. I do not like sabering as it is but 1.5 is least bad for a while. Purple stab is for retards to abuse, same with spam attacks still working. I want a rework of PB and slowing down swing making yawing a thing to just look around, and then tou will have somewhat skillful game, probably just in my head. Anyways, screw those people who cry about 1.5 just becaus3 bugs and exploits they were ridding on got patched. Go play Battlefront or something.

k4far

Banned
Donator
We had a beta server before, what would be so different this time?

Different sab3ring requires files and they argument not making a beta like this with splitting the community (something about us interested in testing it splitting the main playerbase in those who would only be playing beta (if it's better) and ones only interested in normal game). So it won't be official most likely if a beta like this ever comes out I think but it's a pure speculation anyway. Development is unpredictable. We used to have one and it was from mutual effort of retired developer/s dunno exactly if it was just Viserys or Dalo Lorn with her. This las beta certainly showed me that I do not want pure 1.3 at my first glance it was a step back in clarity. It has numerous issues outside of sabering like melee and nobody will be fixing all that.

Last edited:
Most of my mblocks as a beginner were pure luck from spamming the timing. Perhaps punishing failed mblocks harder would prevent mblock spam.

In which version were those lucky MB's happening to you? Cuz if it's in 1.4, you know you didn't even have to PB to MB then? It was a commong bug.

Torlo50

Internal Beta Team
Hmm... taking it by the numbers here.

• "Focusing on the best aspects of 1.3 and the 1.4 series and improving upon them." While this is nice, it's a little too opinionated, in that there is no details listed here. You list some later, but this point should probably be put into your regular paragraph.
  • "Having improved 1.3 PB zones for more consistent PBing". I totally agree with this. Right now, face-hugging and aw/wd swings are near impossible to PB. The zone is WAY up and in a corner, too far away from the model, and I swear it moves from regular range to face-hugging range. So, I can agree with this point.
  • "Higher damages then 1.4, but not insane 80 bp damage interrupts." This is a hark against 1.5, one I agree with. That being said, maybe tone down the bias with something along the lines of "1.4, but not going super high to make bp matter very little, especially from easily spam-able moves".
  • "Bringing back perks, while still utilizing a changed 1.5 style stats". Hmm... sounds good! I liked my perks!
  • "Making special attacks matter, but not dominate." This is another harp on 1.5, but a deserved one. Who doesn't test for a bug that can be utilized by every style, and is shocking powerful in certain ones. Frankly, how was it missed??? So yeah, make them matter, but not so OP.
  • "Bring back swing restrictions and transitions from 1.3 era." Well, I don't have an issue with it, and it's what made current swing speeds more PB-able. I'm all down for it.
  • "Remove the wide disparities between different attack styles" I agree, especially when others are notably weaker then others. Obscure mechanics anyways.
  • "M-block ideas/thoughts; ideas for other shit" Sounds like this needs worked out more, but I would have 0 issue with at least trying it out.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
  • - Tempest's most recent build, focuses upon taking the best aspects of 1.3, and the 1.4 series, and improving upon them.
That's the spirit, but has to mix the aspects together for a better overall result, rather than reverting each aspect then improving them on their own separately.
  • - Having improved 1.3 PB zones for more consistent PBing that also helps against yaws.
Yawing is something that partially saves sabering, since it actually makes attacking require some amount of aim instead of none. Regardless i don't mind having v1.3 zones it doesn't matter that much. It's worse imo, but not impactful enough for me to care.
- Having higher damages than 1.4, but not having the insane 80 BP damage interrupts from 1.5.
No thanks, the damages are great, they are literally the one most important thing that saves sabering compared to 1.4.
- Making timing matter more, but not discouraging the other facets of MB2 sabering such as footwork, or offense.
This doesn't mean anything, timing/footwork already matter greatly. I read behind the lines "make attacks slower" thus making it easier to interrupt etc. No thanks x2.
- Bringing back unique and balanced perks, as well as differentiating the styles further based on stats.
Further differentiating ? The AP/BP differences were slightly reduced in 1.5.1 compared to 1.5 because Tempest asked for it. Everything i've been able to see about what Tempest does will go towards making all the AP/BP more similar again, which is extremely bad; but who knows, maybe i'm wrong and he'd actually do the opposite (one can dream). As for perks, it's about adding mechanics that are actually interesting instead of value changes in certain situations, something very few people seem to understand despite my previous builds having tested this and proven how boring it is. I will propose perks in the future for open betas, but of the order of having entirely different PBing mechanisms for certain styles, not of the order of blue style gaining 1 ACC from successfully mblocking a swingblock. If some people don't see why that is leagues upon leagues better, i don't think i have anything else to say.
- Making special attacks matter, but not dominate.
That's a fine line to draw, but the general idea is special attacks need to remain dangerous but perhaps be more vulnerable than they currently are.
- Bringing back swing restrictions and the great transitions that offered so much variety from 1.3.
Sure. But not at the cost of losing the current ones. Both can coexist, we'll see about making that a thing.
- Removing the weird disparities of damage between comboing/not comboing/swingblocking/not swingblocking.
Running swing damage totally needs to remain lower. Swingblocking and non-swingblocking i agree should be the same. Comboing/not-comboing could possibly become the same, pending appropriate revamping of parries.

Last edited:

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
No thanks, the damages are great, they are literally the one most important thing that saves sabering compared to 1.4.

Nothing like eating 60 or so BP damage because your white name opponent decided to swing half a second before you do. Or because for some reason you get locked into a blocking animation for 4 seconds and effectively die. It's also pretty great when it takes you 10 years to regen BP when staring at each other because ACM effectively doesn't matter at all.

I can actually count on my hands the amount of duels I've had where ACM even remotely played a role.

This doesn't mean anything, timing/footwork already matter greatly. I read behind the lines "make attacks slower" thus making it easier to interrupt etc. No thanks x2.

Not necessarily, by changing the way ACM works to be somewhere inbetween 'ACM Wars' from 1.4, and nonexistent ACM from 1.5, you will make footwork matter more. Here in 1.5 I see people running away a lot, and that is something I noticed in 1.3, there is very little downside to running away. It is tougher to finish someone off in 1.3/1.5 than it was in 1.4.

Timing mattered a LOT more in 1.3, despite the fact that you may not think so, there were far more timing disparities between swings/transitions that gave you far more options.

Further differentiating ? The AP/BP differences were slightly reduced in 1.5.1 compared to 1.5 because Tempest asked for it. Everything i've been able to see about what Tempest does will go towards making all the AP/BP more similar again, which is extremely bad; but who knows, maybe i'm wrong and he'd actually do the opposite (one can dream). As for perks, it's about adding mechanics that are actually interesting instead of value changes in certain situations, something very few people seem to understand despite my previous builds having tested this and proven how boring it is. I will propose perks in the future for open betas, but of the order of having entirely different PBing mechanisms for certain styles, not of the order of blue style gaining 1 ACC from successfully mblocking a swingblock. If some people don't see why that is leagues upon leagues better, i don't think i have anything else to say.

I've found with Tempest that one can have great AP/BP differences with perks and mechanical downsides. One can make Red stronger than the red in 1.5 via adding the downside from 1.3 where you couldn't continue a combo/half swing upon missing a swing.

Here is one of the ideas I had for a dual sabers perk that I'd like to test with Tempest at some point as an example:
Duel perk: Every successful body hit grants Duals an extra chain swing count (Does not gain ACM), ACM multiplier is applied to special attack. Duals can PB while swinging and in returns.

That's a fine line to draw, but the general idea is special attacks need to remain dangerous but perhaps be more vulnerable than they currently are.

Special attacks should be like they were in 1.3, if you watch this video:

You'll see how many strategies involved special attacks, but also how counterable they were, compared to patches since where they were either useless or overpowered.

Sure. But not at the cost of losing the current ones. Both can coexist, we'll see about making that a thing.

What do you mean the current ones? The ones no one likes? The transitions and restrictions from 1.3 were far superior, and the vast majority of duelists who went back to try 1.3 ended up loving them. I personally fell in love with 1.3 Yellow after all these years (I never played yellow back in 1.3).

Running swing damage totally needs to remain lower. Swingblocking and non-swingblocking i agree should be the same. Comboing/not-comboing could possibly become the same, pending appropriate revamping of parries.

We need to think of a better solution for people running away, I think making ACM matter more will help, but otherwise we need some sort of mechanic for chasing down opponents. I think lowering friction slightly as Lessen did in that test I did with him would actually help a lot in nerfing shadow-swinging appropriately.

We need to think of a better solution for people running away, I think making ACM matter more will help, but otherwise we need some sort of mechanic for chasing down opponents. I think lowering friction slightly as Lessen did in that test I did with him would actually help a lot in nerfing shadow-swinging appropriately.
This is probably stupid, but how about a movement speed increase on a successful pb.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
This is probably stupid, but how about a movement speed increase on a successful pb.

Maybe as a perk for a style, possibly. However uhhh, that'd be horrific as every other thing. You could escape far easier that way too, just PB their swing as they chase you, then run away even faster.

Maybe as a perk for a style, possibly. However uhhh, that'd be horrific as every other thing. You could escape far easier that way too, just PB their swing as they chase you, then run away even faster.
Also I thought of having your movement speed reduced if you're low on bp. So that way to regain stamina you're forced to pb and not run. But then I think of Open and it all falls apart.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Also I thought of having your movement speed reduced if you're low on bp. So that way to regain stamina you're forced to pb and not run. But then I think of Open and it all falls apart.

Yup. That would make fighting multiple opponents impossible.

Personally, my recommendations are a Chivalry style-chase mechanic, where the longer you stare at someone, you gradually go forward faster, until you reach a cap of like 15-20%. Alternatively, overhauling how movement works.