Push 3 Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Welcome to the topic. Please excuse the name, I didn't think too hard about it but this should probably be called

Force Push Re Balance

Let me start of here by first saying I do not think Push is Overpowered and this is Not a Nerf Thread. But there is a problem I have with how it affects gameplay. The issue that I want addressed here is The Use of Push 3 as a player crutch and this is what I want to see removed.
Not sure what I mean by that? Let me explain then. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Push 3 is easy to use to knock down targets and get some nice ground kills. All the while it is also easy to stop by walking, crouching or standing still. But the real issue is that it is much easier to use Push and very forgiving in mistakes by the user.
What does this mean? Well, simply put, it means that a Pusher has to put forth less effort in an engagement as opposed to his target. And to add a little more to it, a Force User without Push level 3 has to put forth even more effort than his opponent if not the same. This is not good from a gameplay balance standpoint.
What happens from this, then? Well, most Force User class configs basically have Push 3 as a necessity rather than an option. Players become reliant on it and other great elements become unused.
But hasn't Push remained the same for many years? Yes it has, but I never noticed the problem until recently.
How did I see this issue? It actually happened to be the large influx of brand new players. Watching them progress in player ability map after map or even days. But the thing I noticed the most is that they all used Push 3.
What's wrong with them all using Push? Nothing, except for the fact that they try out other classes or force powers but fail and go back to Push 3.
Why would they go back to using Push 3 over and over? After seeing this and examining it, I saw it helped their player ability. Sure, they still weren't very good but they were substantially better than not using it.
So this is a New Player problem? No, not at all. The new players merely opened my eyes by seeing the sheer number of them doing it. I am certain everybody knows of one or a few players who exclusively play Jedi with Push 3.
How does Push help these players out so much? From what I concluded it is because Push is extremely simple and easy to use. It can even be used in a majority of situations. Not much effort has to be used to be averagely effective at the game now.

Now in my opinion this is not fair at all because all players should have to give the same amount of effort to be effective. Sure, all players are different and some are better than others or vice versa. But they all try about the same to be a positive contribution to the team. Just because someone is good or bad at playing doesn't mean they aren't trying.

So, from all this I try and figure out a way to complete this objective: Make Push Harder to Use for Bad Players but Still Retain it's Effectiveness for Good Players.

Here we go then, my idea is below. I am certainly also not saying my idea is the best one or the only option. The one directly below is an edit after reading things from this thread and mashing them together while also thinking of other gameplay elements and how they work. My very original idea, which was pointed out would actually be a nerf (which is not my plan) is at the very bottom.

Probably the most important part of the topic is that these are all suggestions, which means they are not guaranteed to be implemented and are also all subject to change. Everybody here should be striving to make the game a better experience. I implore everybody to share their suggestions, ideas, and thoughts. The key word is collaboration.

Another extremely important part of it is that we all discuss this in a constructive, mature, and polite manner. I don't want to see the thread devolve any more than it has because there are some very good ideas here. If you need an example, here are a couple.
This is how to not be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: Hah, (x) is fine you just need to do (z) better.
This is how to be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: I don't understand your issue with (x), you can just do (z), can you help me understand?​

So after thinking through after all the things people posted I came up with a new idea built upon some of it. Of course all not set in stone.

Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes. To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable. But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc. Also I think the charged up blast should push things back with greater velocity. That would make for some fun grenade tosses. Although, the charge should not be able to be held indefinite so after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of holding automatically goes off. Now, to think of our saberless Jedi friends even more can come of this but this is just expanding on the idea so it may be too much. Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff. The issue of wookiees and SBDs I don't know of but if they could fall from it, would be a very useful ally to have.
push_zpsv9hvmodm.jpg

pushinstant_zpszpfgssuz.jpg

pushhalfcharge_zpst4gdmbrw.jpg

pushfullcharge_zpsdcg88aes.jpg

This can even be applied to Pull to make it affect a group after a charge, which would give that power a bigger oompf it definitely needs!

There have been a number of ideas posted in the thread, which may need to be expanded on and complimented, such as:
  • All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
  • Changes in Force Point cost
  • Changes in Class Point cost
  • Delay before pushing
  • Charge up before use
  • Differing types of knockback areas

Below is my first original post.

Now before you all start saying "l2walk" what this stems from is just the amount of Jedi/Sith who only use Push 3 as their main offensive weapon. In my opinion it is way too effective and versatile for how cheap it costs in both class points and FP. When looking at Pull, not only does it cost more, but it is harder to use due to the direct aim required and shorter range. I have seen plenty of players who don't use Push 3, but in comparison to the majority that do they need to play a lot smarter and harder. Push is just too easy.

My proposed fix is very simple although I don't know if the engine allows it. Have push be the way it is for range and AOE, especially projectiles, except for the knockdown which needs to be on the crosshair. Of course the closer the range the more lax this would be and anyone pushed outside of the knockdown sweet spot would still get pushed back, to help get those guys on a cliff. Pull could even be reworked the same way so a large group of people could be nudged closer rather than fall down.

This would increase the skill required to use it and help reduce the class spam for people looking to get easy kills but still maintain the support role it can fill.

Here is a representation of what I mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DarkFett/push._zpsbkp88iqp.jpg

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Um push would be useless, trolling would be insane, jedi would be useless, no one would ever play jedi. Its laughable that you think this would be an okay thing to do.

And I think this shows you just want jedi to basically be un relevant and un used to say the least
And which is why I still think of my original proposal or some of the others people have said based around the main idea of only changing knockdowns.

Preston, he suggested that and said it several times but the moment Master Supa said it you are suddenly okay with it.
What gives?

Preston

Nerd
And which is why I still think of my original proposal or some of the others people have said based around the main idea of only changing knockdowns.
So you were joking when you said yiu wanted push to affect teammates right?

And about the cone idea, the correct word I shouldof used is tolerate. I would tolerate the cone change, because it wouldnt affect me much if at all. But with changing the cones it would be an obvious nerf to push no matter how much you say it isnt.

Preston

Nerd
Preston, he suggested that and said it several times but the moment Master Supa said it you are suddenly okay with it.
What gives?
Actually no I tend to disagree with supa on like everything, no offence supa. And as I said I should of used the word tolerate.
And he has actually changed his suggestion several times, and I dont want the cone change at all. I think it is meaningless and would only be a nerf to push, unlike what you 3 claim.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Actually no I tend to disagree with supa on like everything, no offence supa. And as I said I should of used the word tolerate.
And he has actually changed his suggestion several times, and I dont want the cone change at all. I think it is meaningless and would only be a nerf to push, unlike what you 3 claim.
Most of my... ideas, tend to make people feel as though it would change the way a game mechanic or dynamic too much. :p

Where is anything troll-like there? Push is THE easiest thing to use in game for kills. Every person that says Hold Shift, walk nub does not understand this thread or the argument and does not relate.

Chaos understands exactly what I'm saying. Supa understands exactly what I'm saying. Hell, it doesn't even need to be my idea or anyone else's so far in in this thread. The point is for people to collaborate and find a good way to make Push more skill based. To have more thought into it's use.

Like I've said countless times....

Oh my god, that is exactly what I proposed. You're insane.

I'm only going to say this one more time because this thread has turned into congress fighting both sides with no movement because everyone thinks they are right and refuses to look at how push functions in the picture of the entire game.

You say push is the easiest thing to use to get a kill in game, yet for the past week I have watched several gunners beat jedi/sith using push (including my deaths and other notable support jedi/sith such as Insane Apex and Firestrike while using push, so all skill levels of jedi/sith have died while using push) and the method they went about doing this was using properly timed walking and spacing. So your disagreement that people that say "Hold Shift, walk nub.." is not a point in this thread, it is, and it is because this thread is about the balance of push and therefore you have to look at what counters gunners are given to combat push, and it is just as easy to press the shift key as it is the F key. The problem is everyone in this thread that is complaining about how OP push is doesn't know the proper times to walk while facing a jedi/sith, and this just goes into the games high skill cap and learning how to play the game effectively.

Now off the walk conversation because no one here sees it as valid. I am going to use ET as an example vs jedi/sith because ET doesn't have dash, blobs, dex, or anything else that can be used as a counter to push. Barring the proper walk timing, SPACING is, and probably more so than walking, important to a gunner vs a jedi/sith because, once again knowledge of the game and how it works, at a distance an ET with e11 can use primary fire to quickly drain a jedi/sith's fp assuming you can properly aim the e11. Now this argument goes into the individual skill of the gunner and the jedi/sith combined. A new jedi/sith will be easily defeated by a gunner such as Emi or Ion using an e11 because they can knock the jedi/sith's fp out before it has a chance to get anywhere close to the gunner, however flip the tables and put myself or Insane as the jedi/sith vs a newer player, lets just say Dekuhornets then myself or Insane will most definitely win because he is unable to drain our fp before we are within killing range. This has NOTHING to do with how easy it is to use push, it goes to individual skill and someone's knowledge of the game. For instance more knowledge to pay attention to is if you shoot a jedi/sith after they push they lose not only hp but also more fp which causes the jedi/sith to be in even a worse position than before they pushed.

My other arguments in earlier posts argue more so into exactly how all of the counters to push balance out its 'ease' of use, but on another note there was a mention i think by supa of 2 cones one for knock back and one for knock down. There is already this system if i am not mistaken the cones are just very close to the same, therefore if there was any change to be made to push the only one that would keep push as a viable force power would be to change the range the knockdown cone, but not by much if you shorten it too much you will make it useless as well.

So my general consensus of this thread is that it should be closed because any arguments further would only be repeats of what has already been said and imo it has been overlooked that skill and game play knowledge play a huge factor into what people see as balanced or OP.

@Puppytine You know, you keep pointing out things I have said before like I haven't.
So here's another idea I had since nobody wants to give up the easy mode button.. Make all force powers, not just dark side, affect teammates..
No offense, but you didn't think this suggestion through. What happens when a grenade is thrown down a hall at your teammates, and your choices are 1. risk pushing your teammates into said grenade, 2. don't push the grenade.

It's just a bad suggestion, again not trying to be mean.

So I've been keeping out of this thread since its a bit pointless with balance changes en-route with next patch, but suddenly the cone thing becomes OK once Supa says it? That was the original proposal and was reiterated dozens of times...

Supa

The Serial Stacker
So I've been keeping out of this thread since its a bit pointless with balance changes en-route with next patch, but suddenly the cone thing becomes OK once Supa says it? That was the original proposal and was reiterated dozens of times...
*shrug*

I did consider it years ago, but I'm sure it was originally proposed even before that.

Preston

Nerd
No, its not ok

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team

The original proposal was a sort of inverted tiny cone for the knockdowns that was widest near the player and closed to a single point far away. That severely limits push's crowd control abilities because push basically only works right on your crosshair unless the opponent is in your face. That's very different from simply having a reduced cone size. I think just reducing the knockdown cone width to about half of what it currently is wouldn't be too severe of a nerf while still accomplishing the goal of making people aim push more. However, I still don't think any sort of change to push is necessary at all.

Most of my... ideas, tend to make people feel as though it would change the way a game mechanic or dynamic too much. :p

And yet so many recent changes that beg the question..."What were they thinking?"
The response: "__________________." It's all good?

Care to explain how this would be a nerf to Players that use a modicum of thought and skill to push?
The only reason I can see that some of you are so against any changes is the unexpected benefits of catching multiple players luckily, and reaping the benefits.

I have push. Do I spam it blindly? Desperately?
Yes, when I'm bored, drunk, or wanting to re-direct a nade toward some useless teammates accidentally.
Other times because I don't care and want to see you dance.

But back to my more saner and clean player moments.
When I use push, I use it specifically to push back rockets, nades, thermals, pulses, whatever.
Sometimes even blobs. There's that sweet time spot where you can knock em down as they fire.

Explosives - check.
--------------------------------------------

Against people...when I'm playing smart I target, note - TARGET, whoever I see running or exposed. I SINGLE this person out and push.
Yes, sometimes there are many people running, but for most scenarios - push 1 to kill 1. Sometimes I push a runner into someone that isn't running. Bonus.
One that I deserve and makes me giggle like a Catholic Schoolgirl. Ah, those skirts. One of these days, totally gonna rent a van and lure some.

But it gets ridiculous when people you don't actually target are knocked down. Oh noes, they weren't walking, those bastardly noobs!
Que the l2walk. No one really says l2push though. Strange that:)

Should push be a shotgun power? Should it knock down everyone on your screen in front of you. Not just people you target but everyone else?
Should you stop, twist and do your happy dance when you get lucky and push so many more down than you INTENDED?

Because we've been benefiting and exploiting those occasions where players you didn't TARGET are knocked down it's fine as is?
Is it fair? Is it balanced? Do you deserve to reap such a great reward with so little RISK?

Hence the great supporter? Nothing against support, but it should take some actual effort and thought rather than what we have now.
That's why I agree with the op.
Leave the overall cone of push against nades/rockets/thermals as is - but narrow the actual player knockdown cone so you have to think and aim.
Maybe add the charge(with sound) in case you want to keep shotgun push in. But it would have a tell and maybe then, and then alone, maybe:) a jedi would deserve to reap the rewards of their one button miracle.

Effin Drama Queens if you think this would change the gameplay so much that it'd be a game breaker.
Or that it would change most of anything at all except MINDLESS spam.

Que the 1 second of vulnerabilty to shoot/kill - *snorts*.
Easier to push than for a gunner to exploit that against a jedi.
Especially in a team game where the spam herd comes a rushing and they all be pushing with their eyes closed.

------------------------

Target and aim. I'm not afraid. So why are you? Or is it simple gluttony?
Greed for kills. The Green Bitch. I know her well. She's so..delicious.

But really, why not?
This will hardly change anything for people that use jedi effectively.

All it does is make it slightly less spam friendly.
Do you like spam? I do. Sometimes. Sometimes its great feeding my kill hunger. Other times its oh lord, not again.
These situations abound where you can argue one or the otehr.

But I say, tweak it away and slap these naysayers down!
They've been compromised for their love of long, hard poles made of light that can pierce the *darkest* of places.

a**holes:)

Preston

Nerd
I don't see any reason to implement ^ cause its not a problem. I haven't seen push spam work on anyone but new players. so why change whats not broken.

And @StarWarsGeek I agree completely

Supa

The Serial Stacker
And yet so many recent changes that beg the question..."What were they thinking?"
The response: "__________________." It's all good?
I've been asking myself that a lot. :p
Care to explain how this would be a nerf to Players that use a modicum of thought and skill to push?
It would be a nerf, because ideally the outer cone would only affect player movement - in other words you would still get pushed back, but there would be no possibility for a knock down - however grenades and rockets would retain previous effectiveness.

In reality however, all that is being asked is people aim the ability a little more than they do now. So, not really a big deal. Pull is still really strong, and requires precise aim.

I've been asking myself that a lot. :p

It would be a nerf, because ideally the outer cone would only affect player movement - in other words you would still get pushed back, but there would be no possibility for a knock down - however grenades and rockets would retain previous effectiveness.

In reality however, all that is being asked is people aim the ability a little more than they do now. So, not really a big deal. Pull is still really strong, and requires precise aim.

I don't consider it much of a real nerf due to player behavior.
You see someone running. What do you do?
Turn to look at them and push.
We're already doing it.

The only nerf is to the peripherals. And I'd argue you shouldnt benefit from not targeting them. And people do walk. Shocking I know.

Removing the potential to benefit from shotgun push. Scary. Just think about all those noobs that you'll have to take an extra moment to slaughter.

It's funny, its mostly noobs that get knocked down:) So the narrative that is regurgitated.
So really, other than making jedi earn what they reap and benefit from, what does this do but make the game less abusive towards noobs?
They're already the equivalent of free kills. It's actually sick. I mean, what kind of person justifies such a Genocide!
Is there no shame left in this world? But hey, their noobs. Let's just shit all over them. Again and again.
I find this mindset disturbing and revolting. Really, some people here. Need to be put behind bars.
They are not well. Noobs are people too!

Like I said. Gluttonous pigs who enjoy the extra fat they've greased down.

If the only people that this would effect are noobs why the steel grip locking any turns to change?
Because its bull.

The argument to me is - should you be able to knock down anyone and everyone, regardless of intent or aim?
Do the rewards justify such minimal effort or risk?
I think not.

Sometimes, it's time for a change. To try something new! To experiment!!
It's shocking how repressed some people become, even when recent events have shown us, that its less about what's a good or bad idea and more about whose willing to do it.

So rather than argue the merits of changing it or not, whether its balanced or can be tweaked, everyone for a chance should focus on finding those few devs willing to listen and use their time to code such things:) Because really, that's all it boils down to. If they feel like it, they feel like it.

I don't think there's many *tasks* that are obligated. Damn volunteers. This is why you hire foreign workers. Hire six for the salary of one.
No, that's not racist. It's actual truth. American Coder hired 3 Chinese coders to do his job while paying them a 1/4th of his salary...for their work to be his work. Living the dream:)

I don't see any reason to implement ^ cause its not a problem. I haven't seen push spam work on anyone but new players. so why change whats not broken.

And @StarWarsGeek I agree completely
If it's not a problem, why argue against it:)
Eyes closed remember. On anyone but new?
I guess it's time to start taking demos pushing down old folks?:)

Just don't post it on youtube or to the cops.
Exaggerations should be left to those with more imagination.

Fight the Change!

this is why i feel like this topic needs to be shut down and completely remade, as ive said this before

in what world does nerfing the cone of push's knockback at all address the concerns that someguy is bringing up? this is why the topic of discussion needs to be heavily clarified and heavily moderated to make sure people are arguing the same thing

even if push's cone of knockdown was a third of what it now is, its literally a non issue for someone even going as far as to use an xbox controller to keep the crosshair close enough to their target to ensure they are in it, unless they are facehugging and jump passed.

someguy's issue is, essentially (even if he wont admit it and broadens the topic when pressed), "push is too easy for killing gunners" which exists in a 1v1 situation. nerfing push's cone of knockdown ONLY nerfs jedis ability to act as widespread crowd control to a blob of gunners pushing into an area. you're really going to nerf the single most important ability in the game because its too strong in a 1v1? because you dont like that its brainless? its supposed to be brainless.

just because the defining ability of a jedi is simple doesn't mean the class overall is simple, the difficulty of playing jedi doesn't have to come from how difficult it is to score a knockdown with push 3

Think you're misunderstanding. How the hell would this be a nerf in a 1 on 1 anyway?
Don't have time and Someguy can speak for himself.

I'm out.:( I've been subpoenaed. Eff the Law!

Status
Not open for further replies.