Push 3 Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Welcome to the topic. Please excuse the name, I didn't think too hard about it but this should probably be called

Force Push Re Balance

Let me start of here by first saying I do not think Push is Overpowered and this is Not a Nerf Thread. But there is a problem I have with how it affects gameplay. The issue that I want addressed here is The Use of Push 3 as a player crutch and this is what I want to see removed.
Not sure what I mean by that? Let me explain then. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Push 3 is easy to use to knock down targets and get some nice ground kills. All the while it is also easy to stop by walking, crouching or standing still. But the real issue is that it is much easier to use Push and very forgiving in mistakes by the user.
What does this mean? Well, simply put, it means that a Pusher has to put forth less effort in an engagement as opposed to his target. And to add a little more to it, a Force User without Push level 3 has to put forth even more effort than his opponent if not the same. This is not good from a gameplay balance standpoint.
What happens from this, then? Well, most Force User class configs basically have Push 3 as a necessity rather than an option. Players become reliant on it and other great elements become unused.
But hasn't Push remained the same for many years? Yes it has, but I never noticed the problem until recently.
How did I see this issue? It actually happened to be the large influx of brand new players. Watching them progress in player ability map after map or even days. But the thing I noticed the most is that they all used Push 3.
What's wrong with them all using Push? Nothing, except for the fact that they try out other classes or force powers but fail and go back to Push 3.
Why would they go back to using Push 3 over and over? After seeing this and examining it, I saw it helped their player ability. Sure, they still weren't very good but they were substantially better than not using it.
So this is a New Player problem? No, not at all. The new players merely opened my eyes by seeing the sheer number of them doing it. I am certain everybody knows of one or a few players who exclusively play Jedi with Push 3.
How does Push help these players out so much? From what I concluded it is because Push is extremely simple and easy to use. It can even be used in a majority of situations. Not much effort has to be used to be averagely effective at the game now.

Now in my opinion this is not fair at all because all players should have to give the same amount of effort to be effective. Sure, all players are different and some are better than others or vice versa. But they all try about the same to be a positive contribution to the team. Just because someone is good or bad at playing doesn't mean they aren't trying.

So, from all this I try and figure out a way to complete this objective: Make Push Harder to Use for Bad Players but Still Retain it's Effectiveness for Good Players.

Here we go then, my idea is below. I am certainly also not saying my idea is the best one or the only option. The one directly below is an edit after reading things from this thread and mashing them together while also thinking of other gameplay elements and how they work. My very original idea, which was pointed out would actually be a nerf (which is not my plan) is at the very bottom.

Probably the most important part of the topic is that these are all suggestions, which means they are not guaranteed to be implemented and are also all subject to change. Everybody here should be striving to make the game a better experience. I implore everybody to share their suggestions, ideas, and thoughts. The key word is collaboration.

Another extremely important part of it is that we all discuss this in a constructive, mature, and polite manner. I don't want to see the thread devolve any more than it has because there are some very good ideas here. If you need an example, here are a couple.
This is how to not be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: Hah, (x) is fine you just need to do (z) better.
This is how to be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: I don't understand your issue with (x), you can just do (z), can you help me understand?​

So after thinking through after all the things people posted I came up with a new idea built upon some of it. Of course all not set in stone.

Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes. To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable. But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc. Also I think the charged up blast should push things back with greater velocity. That would make for some fun grenade tosses. Although, the charge should not be able to be held indefinite so after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of holding automatically goes off. Now, to think of our saberless Jedi friends even more can come of this but this is just expanding on the idea so it may be too much. Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff. The issue of wookiees and SBDs I don't know of but if they could fall from it, would be a very useful ally to have.
push_zpsv9hvmodm.jpg

pushinstant_zpszpfgssuz.jpg

pushhalfcharge_zpst4gdmbrw.jpg

pushfullcharge_zpsdcg88aes.jpg

This can even be applied to Pull to make it affect a group after a charge, which would give that power a bigger oompf it definitely needs!

There have been a number of ideas posted in the thread, which may need to be expanded on and complimented, such as:
  • All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
  • Changes in Force Point cost
  • Changes in Class Point cost
  • Delay before pushing
  • Charge up before use
  • Differing types of knockback areas

Below is my first original post.

Now before you all start saying "l2walk" what this stems from is just the amount of Jedi/Sith who only use Push 3 as their main offensive weapon. In my opinion it is way too effective and versatile for how cheap it costs in both class points and FP. When looking at Pull, not only does it cost more, but it is harder to use due to the direct aim required and shorter range. I have seen plenty of players who don't use Push 3, but in comparison to the majority that do they need to play a lot smarter and harder. Push is just too easy.

My proposed fix is very simple although I don't know if the engine allows it. Have push be the way it is for range and AOE, especially projectiles, except for the knockdown which needs to be on the crosshair. Of course the closer the range the more lax this would be and anyone pushed outside of the knockdown sweet spot would still get pushed back, to help get those guys on a cliff. Pull could even be reworked the same way so a large group of people could be nudged closer rather than fall down.

This would increase the skill required to use it and help reduce the class spam for people looking to get easy kills but still maintain the support role it can fill.

Here is a representation of what I mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DarkFett/push._zpsbkp88iqp.jpg

Last edited:

Sylar

Donator
You can't balance people, It may be difficult to new players learn the mechanics (even though every patch that has come out recently are more newb-friendly) But once you learn it all comes down to practice, hold shift and you will prevent knockdown effect and even "push" (pun intended) you far away from the enemy jedi/sith.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Jedi/Sith should be just as hard to play as gunner
Yes, but even more important that they should be balanced against each other.
and right now it's much easier to be Saber McPusherstein. Cortosis is useless even now, just crouch spam and win. I ditched in completely in favor of Firepower 3.
Whaaaaat?!... I don't even know how to respond for this. One more time I have feeling that we play in two different games. Jedi definitely isn't overpowered, they're balanced more or less, maybe even underpowered.
Just yesterday I was playing mb, and people in chat were discussing how OP wooks and sbds are comparing to saberists.

btw do you know how to difficult to kill a wookiee with a yellow, even if that furball is noob? Believe me, it's freaking hard. Melee wookiees definitely have advantage versus sith.
The very first thing a lot of people tell newbies is to go gunner first, but most don't listen. They go Jedi and die, and die, and die. Gradually getting better but considerably more so once they learn to Push and when it works. Then all they have to do is stand there and RMB and Push to be competent in a match. Watching that happen on a large scale and the amount of consistency with which these same new people did the same exact thing was astonishing. I even saw some try out a gunner class, die horribly, and swap back to Pushmania. It doesn't only apply to the newbies, either. There are plenty of "vets" that completely rely on this and outright refuse to branch out and try other setups or classes even.
This only applies to newbies. When mid-skill players are fighting, saberist doesn't get any better changes. People pointed to that so many times, I've already quoted those posts few pages ago, and you still repeating it like you didn't even read.

And why the heck we have to modify game for beginners balance? Average players, that's who it should be about!
I agree that the other force powers should change, too. Right now the most useful powers are Push and Speed. Honestly, if I would change it all, I would make Push like Bombad's idea and change the point costs. But then also change the other powers, like also giving Speed to Sith. Give maybe Blind to Jedi but make it a constant hold like Lightning or Grip, they let go it turns off. I think the MT change is much better than before. Grip needs to be able to kill, increase damage while active and maybe add light damage while lockon is acquiring. Decrease force point use while Lightning is active so it can stay on longer. I don't really see a problem with Pull or Sense. Change Deflect back to how it used to be. Get rid of saber perks. Add back blaster fire knockback to all shots, not just badly detected headshots.
After 28 pages you admit at last that if push would be nerfed, other abilities should be buffed?
What a great progress, finally! But I think improvements must be more significant, especially if you want some other nerf, like disabling perks.

I hope you won't forget that jedi deserve something in exchange of weaker push on next page...
The mediocre, average players are not balanced Jedi vs Gunner. A bad Jedi is at the same level as the average Gunner, and if both players are of average skill the Jedi wins most of the time.
Please tell me you aren't serious. Because I just see no way how can it be serious.
"Useless sith", hear about? Because this is what I saw plenty of times in imps team chat, but I can't same about "useless gunners"...
Except for Jedi Master Race, they don't need to aim and should always win.
Oh come on, stop being so dramatic. Why they not always win anytime I watch the game?
Push is a non-lethal weapon, so it shouldn't be directly compared to guns. Also jedi don't have any pistols or rifles, and impact range of push is pretty short.

Rockets, grenades and flamethrower don't need to be aimed as well, while they can kill, how about that?
out of all the other devs that say push is fine.
Well, there is @Supa at least, who is right in the middle and said that push could be nerfed.
Any regular Jedi build (what I mean by this is not force only or lulz builds) has the advantage and will win more than not in an equal skill engagement. I don't think it is OP, just imbalanced. Style perks make it worse, but even without them it would be off kilter. In my eyes if Push were changed it would affect the balance to a greater extent than having to change numerous other things slightly.
I don't know what is advantage you're talking about. Never see it, I but sometimes I see wookiee or three clones ripping off the whole imps team.

If push were changed it would affect balance jedi/sith would be heavily underpowered and wouldn't be equal participants of battle anymore.
Using Push is like exactly the opposite of say a good sniper. The sniper needs to make quick aiming decisions taking into account player movement and even angle of attack on Jedi along with range and distance. The Jedi has to tap a single button.
This is a very biased view. If compare push to a sniper, you should give push a damage of bullet, and range of bullet, but currently push is a non-lethal and short-ranged.

I just made a assumption that you hate saberists, don't want to put an effort to fight them and want to reduce their abilities to the ground, to make Movie Battles a yet another shooter. Just to get rid of those annoying jedi you don't wanna see as equal opponents.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
@Puppytine You know, you keep pointing out things I have said before like I haven't.

I said before that I think other powers need changes, I just detailed them a bit more, it wasn't some spur of the moment thing.

I never said the game should be balanced on newbies, I said it should be based on average players just as you did. My problem is that newbie Jedi that learn the basics of blocking and pushing are just as effective as an average skill gunner.

And I'm the one being dramatic? "If you change push it will ruin all of jedi and sith" .... Please.

Rockets, grenades, and flamethrower don't need to be aimed? Hah! I didn't know they just auto targeted the closest enemy rather than going off your crosshair... Oh wait, they DO aim from there.

Wooks and SBDs are very effective versus stupid players who don't crouch. If they crouch, they win. Good players don't even need to crouch for very long, so fast you can hardly even see the animation and that "threat" is a goner in about a second.

I compared Push to a sniper because it is the complete opposite in terms of skill.

I don't want saberists to be useless, I don't want them gone, I just want them to be the same level of difficulty to play as every other class.

Now I do see force only Jedi/Sith as being under powered because of their complete lack of defense and low offensive capabilities. Extremely situational.

So here's another idea I had since nobody wants to give up the easy mode button.. Make all force powers, not just dark side, affect teammates. That would promote more team work and coordination. This would include Mind Trick so other team members would be more careful to avoid killing them. Only problem I could think of is griefing possibility so maybe the Punish or Forgive prompt should apply for assists also.

Preston

Nerd
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH

I dont even need to try to argue against this. I am trying to figure out if that was a troll post or not tbh. And no a noob jedi wont beat an average gunner rofl. Again unless you claim average gunners dont know you have to walk to not get pushed. Rofl

Last edited:
I can't understand people thinking push is OP when a sith is pretty much dead if they get caught by a blob from a clone.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
God damn. All of you fail to see the point. It's all laid out there plain as day but instead of seeing the whole picture you focus on a corner. Jedi/Sith vs gunner is not balanced. Something is being done to change it. I said I support. I see the problem as Push because it is cheap and easy to use and in my opinion only bad players who need a crutch use it. It's like this game's equivalent of a noob tube (under barrel grenade launcher) but even those take more skill to use than Push. I have no problem countering Push myself. Seriously, all this crying just because somebody proposed to make your easy kills be deserved kills.

Blobs have to be one of the most perfectly balanced things in the game.

Preston

Nerd
God damn. All of you fail to see the point. It's all laid out there plain as day but instead of seeing the whole picture you focus on a corner. Jedi/Sith vs gunner is not balanced. Something is being done to change it. I said I support. I see the problem as Push because it is cheap and easy to use and in my opinion only bad players who need a crutch use it. It's like this game's equivalent of a noob tube (under barrel grenade launcher) but even those take more skill to use than Push. I have no problem countering Push myself. Seriously, all this crying just because somebody proposed to make your easy kills be deserved kills.

Blobs have to be one of the most perfectly balanced things in the game.
You fail to see the point that almost everyone here think jedi vs gunner js balanced if not in the gunners favor. Something is being done, but its not push. Im 99% sure. If anything to do with push theyll maybe make it take 5 more fp. Maybe.

And you obviously want jedi to be completly useless since you proposed to make force powers work on teamates lmao, i havnt laughed so hard about a post ever since the achilles thread.

And blobs are the easiest thing to use against sith. And you can pop shot them to make it virtually impossible to dodge.

And the only time that push will get you a kill is either when you are iverwhelmed vs like 5 jedi. Ir when you are facing a 2 week old player. Thats it. Pull is farrrrrrr superior to push when facing gunners in almost every way.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
"Almost everyone" only includes you and Puppytine. Everybody else that has said something that only relates to Push and not the overall balance. Every single person that said Hold shift does not relate to the thread.

Seriously if force powers also affected teammates it would make them using it be like a guy with a grenade. Think before you do it.

If you get blobbed you either deserve to die for standing still enough to get hit or the clone deserves the kill for hitting a moving target.

Push is LOLO I can tap a button and make everything fall!

You see more soldiers using only grenades and a pistol than you do Jedi without Push 3. That's incredibly sad.

Preston

Nerd
"Almost everyone" only includes you and Puppytine. Everybody else that has said something that only relates to Push and not the overall balance. Every single person that said Hold shift does not relate to the thread.

Seriously if force powers also affected teammates it would make them using it be like a guy with a grenade. Think before you do it.

If you get blobbed you either deserve to die for standing still enough to get hit or the clone deserves the kill for hitting a moving target.

Push is LOLO I can tap a button and make everything fall!

You see more soldiers using only grenades and a pistol than you do Jedi without Push 3. That's incredibly sad.
Oh so you are trolling right? You honestly cant be serious at this point.

And no, its alot more in this thread other than me and Puppytine lmao.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Well, there is @Supa at least, who is right in the middle and said that push could be nerfed.
Not really nerfed so much as certain parts of the ability reallocated into the ability itself. Push wouldn't lose anything, per say, it just wouldn't be "push button, a bunch of things happen all at once". As I explained pages ago, I dislike when abilities are brainless and lack depth, which is in my opinion push at the moment.

Preston

Nerd
Not really nerfed so much as certain parts of the ability reallocated into the ability itself. Push wouldn't lose anything, per say, it just wouldn't be "push button, a bunch of things happen all at once". As I explained pages ago, I dislike when abilities are brainless and lack depth, which is in my opinion push at the moment.
How so? As in how would you change it, I dont remember if you said what ud like to change it and im slightly lazy to try and look through 30 pages of text to find it

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Having two different cones that affect the effectiveness of push. One cone that affects the effectiveness of push on projectiles like grenades and rockets. One that affects the effectiveness of push on players and NPC's in those rare instances; also who gets pushed away, down, how far, for how long, things like that.

It would still have that extreme utility that push has always been known for, it just wouldn't be "use push, the entire world moves a few inches".

Preston

Nerd
Having two different cones that affect the effectiveness of push. One cone that affects the effectiveness of push on projectiles like grenades and rockets. One that affects the effectiveness of push on players and NPC's in those rare instances; also who gets pushed away, down, how far, for how long, things like that.

It would still have that extreme utility that push has always been known for, it just wouldn't be "use push, the entire world moves a few inches".
Only thing that id personally be okay with is the 2 cones, but nit the other things imo

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Oh so you are trolling right? You honestly cant be serious at this point.

And no, its alot more in this thread other than me and Puppytine lmao.
Where is anything troll-like there? Push is THE easiest thing to use in game for kills. Every person that says Hold Shift, walk nub does not understand this thread or the argument and does not relate.

Chaos understands exactly what I'm saying. Supa understands exactly what I'm saying. Hell, it doesn't even need to be my idea or anyone else's so far in in this thread. The point is for people to collaborate and find a good way to make Push more skill based. To have more thought into it's use.

Like I've said countless times....

Only thing that id personally be okay with is the 2 cones, but nit the other things imo
Oh my god, that is exactly what I proposed. You're insane.

Preston

Nerd
Where is anything troll-like there? Push is THE easiest thing to use in game for kills. Every person that says Hold Shift, walk nub does not understand this thread or the argument and does not relate.

Chaos understands exactly what I'm saying. Supa understands exactly what I'm saying. Hell, it doesn't even need to be my idea or anyone else's so far in in this thread. The point is for people to collaborate and find a good way to make Push more skill based. To have more thought into it's use.

Like I've said countless times....

Oh my god, that is exactly what I proposed. You're insane.
No you proposed to make push affect teamates, which im still unsure if you are trolling or not.

And push is actually fine, but i woyldnt care too much if the cone was slightly smaller for people, but with that said it would be a nerf to average players, which in this case average gunners will win vs jedi.
Puppy understand what im saying, andrew understands, givbs understands, derek understands, gamgee understands, sylvar understands, bazinga understands,lou and ben understand, agentoo understands...

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
No you proposed to make push affect teamates, which in atill unsure if you are trolling or not
I meant my original proposal. Man, you're thick. But seriously if it did affect teammates, what would really happen? Push spam in big groups would stop. Or people would grief and troll a lot in game, which is the biggest thing I can think of wrong with it.

Preston

Nerd
I meant my original proposal. Man, you're thick. But seriously if it did affect teammates, what would really happen? Push spam in big groups would stop. Or people would grief and troll a lot in game, which is the biggest thing I can think of wrong with it.
Um push would be useless, trolling would be insane, jedi would be useless, no one would ever play jedi. Its laughable that you think this would be an okay thing to do.

And I think this shows you just want jedi to basically be un relevant and un used to say the least

Last edited:

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Hey guys, opinions can be defended without the need for random insults or taunts. As often as I want to, I don't just go out and insult people because I think their ideas are dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.