Push 3 Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Welcome to the topic. Please excuse the name, I didn't think too hard about it but this should probably be called

Force Push Re Balance

Let me start of here by first saying I do not think Push is Overpowered and this is Not a Nerf Thread. But there is a problem I have with how it affects gameplay. The issue that I want addressed here is The Use of Push 3 as a player crutch and this is what I want to see removed.
Not sure what I mean by that? Let me explain then. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Push 3 is easy to use to knock down targets and get some nice ground kills. All the while it is also easy to stop by walking, crouching or standing still. But the real issue is that it is much easier to use Push and very forgiving in mistakes by the user.
What does this mean? Well, simply put, it means that a Pusher has to put forth less effort in an engagement as opposed to his target. And to add a little more to it, a Force User without Push level 3 has to put forth even more effort than his opponent if not the same. This is not good from a gameplay balance standpoint.
What happens from this, then? Well, most Force User class configs basically have Push 3 as a necessity rather than an option. Players become reliant on it and other great elements become unused.
But hasn't Push remained the same for many years? Yes it has, but I never noticed the problem until recently.
How did I see this issue? It actually happened to be the large influx of brand new players. Watching them progress in player ability map after map or even days. But the thing I noticed the most is that they all used Push 3.
What's wrong with them all using Push? Nothing, except for the fact that they try out other classes or force powers but fail and go back to Push 3.
Why would they go back to using Push 3 over and over? After seeing this and examining it, I saw it helped their player ability. Sure, they still weren't very good but they were substantially better than not using it.
So this is a New Player problem? No, not at all. The new players merely opened my eyes by seeing the sheer number of them doing it. I am certain everybody knows of one or a few players who exclusively play Jedi with Push 3.
How does Push help these players out so much? From what I concluded it is because Push is extremely simple and easy to use. It can even be used in a majority of situations. Not much effort has to be used to be averagely effective at the game now.

Now in my opinion this is not fair at all because all players should have to give the same amount of effort to be effective. Sure, all players are different and some are better than others or vice versa. But they all try about the same to be a positive contribution to the team. Just because someone is good or bad at playing doesn't mean they aren't trying.

So, from all this I try and figure out a way to complete this objective: Make Push Harder to Use for Bad Players but Still Retain it's Effectiveness for Good Players.

Here we go then, my idea is below. I am certainly also not saying my idea is the best one or the only option. The one directly below is an edit after reading things from this thread and mashing them together while also thinking of other gameplay elements and how they work. My very original idea, which was pointed out would actually be a nerf (which is not my plan) is at the very bottom.

Probably the most important part of the topic is that these are all suggestions, which means they are not guaranteed to be implemented and are also all subject to change. Everybody here should be striving to make the game a better experience. I implore everybody to share their suggestions, ideas, and thoughts. The key word is collaboration.

Another extremely important part of it is that we all discuss this in a constructive, mature, and polite manner. I don't want to see the thread devolve any more than it has because there are some very good ideas here. If you need an example, here are a couple.
This is how to not be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: Hah, (x) is fine you just need to do (z) better.
This is how to be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: I don't understand your issue with (x), you can just do (z), can you help me understand?​

So after thinking through after all the things people posted I came up with a new idea built upon some of it. Of course all not set in stone.

Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes. To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable. But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc. Also I think the charged up blast should push things back with greater velocity. That would make for some fun grenade tosses. Although, the charge should not be able to be held indefinite so after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of holding automatically goes off. Now, to think of our saberless Jedi friends even more can come of this but this is just expanding on the idea so it may be too much. Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff. The issue of wookiees and SBDs I don't know of but if they could fall from it, would be a very useful ally to have.
push_zpsv9hvmodm.jpg

pushinstant_zpszpfgssuz.jpg

pushhalfcharge_zpst4gdmbrw.jpg

pushfullcharge_zpsdcg88aes.jpg

This can even be applied to Pull to make it affect a group after a charge, which would give that power a bigger oompf it definitely needs!

There have been a number of ideas posted in the thread, which may need to be expanded on and complimented, such as:
  • All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
  • Changes in Force Point cost
  • Changes in Class Point cost
  • Delay before pushing
  • Charge up before use
  • Differing types of knockback areas

Below is my first original post.

Now before you all start saying "l2walk" what this stems from is just the amount of Jedi/Sith who only use Push 3 as their main offensive weapon. In my opinion it is way too effective and versatile for how cheap it costs in both class points and FP. When looking at Pull, not only does it cost more, but it is harder to use due to the direct aim required and shorter range. I have seen plenty of players who don't use Push 3, but in comparison to the majority that do they need to play a lot smarter and harder. Push is just too easy.

My proposed fix is very simple although I don't know if the engine allows it. Have push be the way it is for range and AOE, especially projectiles, except for the knockdown which needs to be on the crosshair. Of course the closer the range the more lax this would be and anyone pushed outside of the knockdown sweet spot would still get pushed back, to help get those guys on a cliff. Pull could even be reworked the same way so a large group of people could be nudged closer rather than fall down.

This would increase the skill required to use it and help reduce the class spam for people looking to get easy kills but still maintain the support role it can fill.

Here is a representation of what I mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DarkFett/push._zpsbkp88iqp.jpg

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
I agree my initial idea was basically a nerf, which some people politely pointed out, which is the reason for a discussion thread, so I used other ideas people posted here and had a new idea which I think is very balanced. I am convinced by your posts that you did not re read the OP after it has been updated.
What about making the OPs drawing reflective of the point buy instead of a charge duration? Push 1 narrow knockdown, Push 2 wider knockdown, Push 3 like current Push 3. You can adjust the point cost to balance it. A Jedi with Push 3 do-it-all wouldn't have as many points elsewhere and Push 3 wouldn't be as prevalent. A true support Jedi would still choose Push 3.
That's an interesting idea too. Could make the other levels of Push worth while. Only problem I see is that's still a direct nerf by making Push 3 more points overall.

Phelps

Donator
It doesn't need to be necessarily a nerf. Depends on the build I think, where exactly you allocate your points.
My favorite build still has extra two points I can't allocate. I guess it depends, what would be the ultimate support Jedi build.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Yeah but I'm trying to see it from the naysayers' point of view, where they wouldn't be able to get their favorite build now. So then it would be a nerf. Sure you could get nice knockdown for cheaper, but they use it for easy knockdowns which would now be more expensive. I don't know, but I'm thinking like how Grip and Lightning have big point costs and if Push was that way it would need some serious changing to compensate.

It would make my balanced Jedi/Sith builds more powerful, personally. I don't get push 3 all that much anymore, just push 2 and pull 3.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
It would make my balanced Jedi/Sith builds more powerful, personally. I don't get push 3 all that much anymore, just push 2 and pull 3.
Yeah but all 3 of the points for levels would be altered so your builds would, too.

What about making the OPs drawing reflective of the point buy instead of a charge duration? Push 1 narrow knockdown, Push 2 wider knockdown, Push 3 like current Push 3. You can adjust the point cost to balance it. A Jedi with Push 3 do-it-all wouldn't have as many points elsewhere and Push 3 wouldn't be as prevalent. A true support Jedi would still choose Push 3.
This. This is a great idea.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Only problem I see is that's still a direct nerf by making Push 3 more points overall.
That's the problem with the entire thread. Every suggestion in the thread so far has been a direct nerf. The question shouldn't be "How can we make push harder to use without nerfing it?", because the answer is you can't. Requiring a charge mechanic for current knockdown area is a nerf just like increased point cost is. IMO, buying wider knockdown ranges is probably the most appropriate nerf for making push "harder" to use.

However, I still don't think it's necessary at all. Why is it even a problem that push is "too easy" to use? It's a simple power with a simple mechanic. I'm not sure why there needs to be anything "hard" about it. E-11 is easy to use too, you point and click and things get shot.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
That's the problem with the entire thread. Every suggestion in the thread so far has been a direct nerf. The question shouldn't be "How can we make push harder to use without nerfing it?", because the answer is you can't. Requiring a charge mechanic for current knockdown area is a nerf just like increased point cost is. IMO, buying wider knockdown ranges is probably the most appropriate nerf for making push "harder" to use.

However, I still don't think it's necessary at all. Why is it even a problem that push is "too easy" to use? It's a simple power with a simple mechanic. I'm not sure why there needs to be anything "hard" about it. E-11 is easy to use too, you point and click and things get shot.
Except you need to aim and not every connection is guaranteed to kill. Did you read the updated OP? There is a way to do it without a nerf, just like other things in the game have been rebalanced. We just need to figure it out. General's idea is nice though.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Except you need to aim and not every connection is guaranteed to kill. Did you read the updated OP? There is a way to do it without a nerf, just like other things in the game have been rebalanced. We just need to figure it out. General's idea is nice though.
And with push, you need to time it and not every connection is guaranteed to knockdown or kill. I did read the updated OP, and it is still a nerf. Regardless of whatever bonuses you give it after the charge up, requiring 2 or 3 seconds of charge to get it to where it is now is a nerf. I doubt a charge up like that would see much practical use.

And with push, you need to time it and not every connection is guaranteed to knockdown or kill. I did read the updated OP, and it is still a nerf. Regardless of whatever bonuses you give it after the charge up, requiring 2 or 3 seconds of charge to get it to where it is now is a nerf. I doubt a charge up like that would see much practical use.

There was my idea of applying knock downs to all levels of push, but for knock down to occur you need to aim your reticle on the player.
The levels would just determine how far your push can reach, this would only apply to knock downs and not grenades and missiles.

I am not a fan of the charge method because I think its changing what the movies set for us.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
But with Push, each knockdown is closer chances to a kill than a shot connecting. How would it be a nerf if tapping the button worked faster and had less time of an opening but needed to be aimed, while a whole AOE was charged? It seems to balance it out completely here. It works for ambushes too because you have time to charge up before you surprise. Or BigBoss' idea even, make the other levels viable and turn it into a more decisive supportive role so a Push 3 Jedi will help his whole team out. Those lone wolves can spend less points but still get the desired effect with a little more effort. Just because something spreads out in a different way doesn't mean it's better or worse. If there was a discussion like this for some of the other force powers maybe they wouldn't have been axed so hard.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
There was my idea of applying knock downs to all levels of push, but for knock down to occur you need to aim your reticle on the player.
The levels would just determine how far your push can reach, this would only apply to knock downs and not grenades and missiles.

Still a huge nerf, as this completely kills push's ability to act as crowd control.

But with Push, each knockdown is closer chances to a kill than a shot connecting.
Sure, but push doesn't always knockdown.

How would it be a nerf if tapping the button worked faster and had less time of an opening but needed to be aimed, while a whole AOE was charged? It seems to balance it out completely here. It works for ambushes too because you have time to charge up before you surprise.
How does it balance it out completely? 2 or 3 seconds of charging is a long time during which any gunners can get a lot of shots in. Also, if the charge up causes people to be pushed back even further, that's even more detrimental in a lot of cases.

Unless you can block shots while charging up or charging up did something substantial like knocking down people who are walking, requiring a charge on push for an AoE effect is still a pretty big nerf. Look how easily people avoid repulse. That little charge time it has means anyone who's paying attention just holds shift and survives.

Last edited:
Push doesn't have to knockdown to be effective...

Next:
Nerf's aren't bad when properly done. Adding an extra amount of effort in having to actually aim or in this case charge hardly seems like a big nerf.

How does it balance it out completely? 2 or 3 seconds of charging is a long time during which any gunners can get a lot of shots in. Also, if the charge up causes people to be pushed back even further, that's even more detrimental in a lot of cases.

I fail to see the point. Multiple gunners are focusing on you. You should be at a disadvantage.
Does the ability to push down 10 gunners at once with a push of a button seem a fair counter?
Yes, to forestall anyone lying in the peanut gallery, l2walk. I'll counter with l2push:)

The way it worked in mb3 you could hold down push for it to charge and it'd actually just continue charging until you ran out of force.
Ques were an animation and I think a sound.

Refine the charge mechanics - if this was mb3 I'd cap it so it doesnt drain all your force and you can only hold it in for so long before it expends the push.
Vulnerability while charging/animations that show an opponent what you're doing - would be subject to change based on balance and testing.

----------------

Really, what the ops idea, all it really is:

A narrower cone for knockdown unless you charge it. How long to charge can be tweaked for balance purposes.I believe we've altered the cone/range before. But here it wouldn't even be permanent(because of charge) and you'd still be able to knockback all nades/players instantly.

The only real complaint I'm seeing is the ability to knockdown *multiple* players. And really, thinking about that, that's a fair ability?
So much reward for so little risk?
I was called insane for advocating the removal of cooldowns for blob:) Because a targeted, unblockable knockdown with limited uses is op?:) Against gunners of course:) Not against quick-get/rolling up sith though.

The irony - considering Jedi/Sith with Push(unlimited uses) are a 2 shot kill. One to knockdown and 2 for a guaranteed kill upon connecting with your saber.

If adding the *temporary* (again charge) condition or to having to aim a little bit is too much...well, thats a head scratcher to me.

Again, it all goes back to knocking down multiple opponents. I wonder how many players I can knock down with one push? The arc would cover...7 or 8?
Nah, you also have to take into account pushing other players into each other. Dominoes - you all fall down!
:):):)

2 much reward(multiple knockdowns) for 2 little risk.

I am inspired. This week, I shall play with no force pushes, no force pulls. I'll just whore grip, lightning, mt and deflect.
And I guess speed.

Last edited:
Still a huge nerf, as this completely kills push's ability to act as crowd control.
Buffing knock down potential is a debuff.
Cool

Might as well make push infinite power, and remove walk entirely.
Because nothing is apparently good enough.

Its completely insane how one jedi/sith with one force power can crowd control a whole room of people with little to no effort, and this is somehow considered normal and balanced.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
When you talk to people mentioned outside of the fourm regularly you can pick up on these things.
Call me crazy, I don't give a shit I know what im talking about and ive been called far worse things the past month.
Well I do. A like is still nothing more than a like.
It's very predictable @Preston gonna like posts for keeping push as it is, and @SomeGuy gonna like nerfing posts.
Those saber users I talked about are the ones who play regularly and know better.
They know exactly what there are doing, stop over dramatizing it. They are putting shitty behavior on display and im calling them out on it.
Looks like you're trying to justify nerfing push by saying "saberists are very bad people". :)
When there are 5 people on rebels with a kd of 4. 5, 6. 3, and 2. The sith team's highest score is a kd of 2. And then the sith team is missing 5 people for 10 rounds and admins dont do anything about that because he cant be around to keep teams balanced 24/7.
No your wrong, back before the influx of players stacked teams were never this bad.
If some team had 5 more people than other team, that was incredible stacking. And what, all those who made it were jedi/sith?
But if you're talking about number of players were same in both teams, but all the skilled one joined saem team, this is very common to this game. Nobody gives a damn.
And it was only worse 8 years ago, "pro team vs noobs team" is what was on almost every night.
I am going to ignore that because its in bad taste you know that is over the line.
Nice deflecting from answer :)
But anyway you shouldn't bring personal here. If some saber users have miffed you, don't use it as argument against push, please.
Nerf. Almost nobody explained why we even need to nerf push, some people even accepted jedi/sith balance is fine, but everybody keep suggest thousand ways to bring push down.
I agree my initial idea was basically a nerf, which some people politely pointed out, which is the reason for a discussion thread, so I used other ideas people posted here and had a new idea which I think is very balanced. I am convinced by your posts that you did not re read the OP after it has been updated.
OK, let's look at first post.
Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes.
Nerfing, serious.
To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable.
Buffing, serious, but unnecessary. I'm ok with current duration. It makes push risky, which it should be.
But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc.
Nerfing, serious.
Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff.
A quite weird buffing, for rare cases. How gunners suppose counter this, since even walking won't save them?! That would make force repulse ridiculously overpowered.
All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
Changes in Force Point cost
Changes in Class Point cost
Very poor compensation.
Example:
What if I take away from you something useful, that costs $100, give back your $100, and then say you can buy something useless, that normally costs $50, only for ten?
This is exactly what you're trying to do, replace useful push with its nerfed copy, and call it "rebalance" instead of "nerfing". Well played, well played. :)
Delay before pushing
Charge up before use
Differing types of knockback areas
Nerfing.
And then your original post goes...
If there was a discussion like this for some of the other force powers maybe they wouldn't have been axed so hard.
Indeed, who gonna open discussion about nerfing grip even more? Who gonna take it serious?
Push is one of the most useful sith ability, both for assault and for support, that's why I'm crying so loud.
Nerf's aren't bad when properly done. Adding an extra amount of effort in having to actually aim or in this case charge hardly seems like a big nerf.
You're trying to sell me broken push instead of working one. This is a fraud. :(
Does the ability to push down 10 gunners at once with a push of a button seem a fair counter?
If ALL ten gunners failed to hold Shift, yes, it does. They deserve to be knocked down.
The only real complaint I'm seeing is the ability to knockdown *multiple* players. And really, thinking about that, that's a fair ability?
Yes, keeping in mind all those gadgets those gunners have and saberists doesn't.
I was called insane for advocating the removal of cooldowns for blob Because a targeted, unblockable knockdown with limited uses is op? Against gunners of course Not against quick-get/rolling up sith though.
Keyword: unblockable.
Quick get-up sith? Really? They had enough time to shot me to death while a was "quickly getting up". And I'm not talking about snipers!
Again, it all goes back to knocking down multiple opponents. I wonder how many players I can knock down with one push? The arc would cover...7 or 8?
Everybody who would be stupid enough to not walking.
btw, if you've knocked down not every single person around, you'll get serious problems finishing them off, since their teamates wouldn't just smile and wave while you're killing their partners...
Might as well make push infinite power, and remove walk entirely.
Because nothing is apparently good enough.
Don't touch it, that would be great good enough.
There are other unbalanced stuff in mb2, like overpowered blobs and underpowered droids, but push is fine.
Its completely insane how one jedi/sith with one force power can crowd control a whole room of people with little to no effort, and this is somehow considered normal and balanced.
This jedi/sith can literally do nothing while everybody holding walk, and even after somebody releases it, our sith is risking being shot during vulnerability window, and will be a living target if attempt to do something with pass out people.

C'mon guys, we're walking in circles.
You provide thousand ways to nerf push, to pick a nice word like "rebalance" to keep smiles on our faces, you build beauty theories how nasty and overpowered push is, but nobody talking about saberists who are overpowered in real world, on real battlefield, who kill opponents by dozens and couldn't be killed so easy like some sbd or arc...

Do you really think jedi/sith are overpowered in real circumstances, in real fight? Really? REALLY?

Last edited:
You provide thousand ways to nerf push, to pick a nice word like "rebalance" to keep smile on our faces, you build beauty theories how nasty and overpowered push is, but nobody talking about saberists who overpowered in real world, on real battlefield, who kill opponents by dozens and couldn't be killed so easy like some sbd or arc...

ut nobody talking about saberists who overpowered in real world
on real battlefield
^What?:)

Now tell me you didn't go off and join a cult.

If you're going to change religions at least try a legit one like the 'Church of Jediism'.

Nice deflecting from answer :)
But anyway you shouldn't bring personal here. If some saber users have miffed you, don't use it as argument against push, please.
You used a rape joke and you tell me im deflecting for refusing to humor your shitty joke.
Yeah no, you are dismissed. There is nothing of value to discuss with you if this is what you are going to bring to the table.
Unless you grow up and mature there is no reason for any of us to take you seriously.

I don't care if this is the internet, you behave at the big boy table or you get out.
If chaos, the snark of snarkies can behave there is no reason you can't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.