Push 3 Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Welcome to the topic. Please excuse the name, I didn't think too hard about it but this should probably be called

Force Push Re Balance

Let me start of here by first saying I do not think Push is Overpowered and this is Not a Nerf Thread. But there is a problem I have with how it affects gameplay. The issue that I want addressed here is The Use of Push 3 as a player crutch and this is what I want to see removed.
Not sure what I mean by that? Let me explain then. I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that Push 3 is easy to use to knock down targets and get some nice ground kills. All the while it is also easy to stop by walking, crouching or standing still. But the real issue is that it is much easier to use Push and very forgiving in mistakes by the user.
What does this mean? Well, simply put, it means that a Pusher has to put forth less effort in an engagement as opposed to his target. And to add a little more to it, a Force User without Push level 3 has to put forth even more effort than his opponent if not the same. This is not good from a gameplay balance standpoint.
What happens from this, then? Well, most Force User class configs basically have Push 3 as a necessity rather than an option. Players become reliant on it and other great elements become unused.
But hasn't Push remained the same for many years? Yes it has, but I never noticed the problem until recently.
How did I see this issue? It actually happened to be the large influx of brand new players. Watching them progress in player ability map after map or even days. But the thing I noticed the most is that they all used Push 3.
What's wrong with them all using Push? Nothing, except for the fact that they try out other classes or force powers but fail and go back to Push 3.
Why would they go back to using Push 3 over and over? After seeing this and examining it, I saw it helped their player ability. Sure, they still weren't very good but they were substantially better than not using it.
So this is a New Player problem? No, not at all. The new players merely opened my eyes by seeing the sheer number of them doing it. I am certain everybody knows of one or a few players who exclusively play Jedi with Push 3.
How does Push help these players out so much? From what I concluded it is because Push is extremely simple and easy to use. It can even be used in a majority of situations. Not much effort has to be used to be averagely effective at the game now.

Now in my opinion this is not fair at all because all players should have to give the same amount of effort to be effective. Sure, all players are different and some are better than others or vice versa. But they all try about the same to be a positive contribution to the team. Just because someone is good or bad at playing doesn't mean they aren't trying.

So, from all this I try and figure out a way to complete this objective: Make Push Harder to Use for Bad Players but Still Retain it's Effectiveness for Good Players.

Here we go then, my idea is below. I am certainly also not saying my idea is the best one or the only option. The one directly below is an edit after reading things from this thread and mashing them together while also thinking of other gameplay elements and how they work. My very original idea, which was pointed out would actually be a nerf (which is not my plan) is at the very bottom.

Probably the most important part of the topic is that these are all suggestions, which means they are not guaranteed to be implemented and are also all subject to change. Everybody here should be striving to make the game a better experience. I implore everybody to share their suggestions, ideas, and thoughts. The key word is collaboration.

Another extremely important part of it is that we all discuss this in a constructive, mature, and polite manner. I don't want to see the thread devolve any more than it has because there are some very good ideas here. If you need an example, here are a couple.
This is how to not be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: Hah, (x) is fine you just need to do (z) better.
This is how to be constructive.
Person 1: I think that (x) should work this way because of (y).
Person 2: I don't understand your issue with (x), you can just do (z), can you help me understand?​

So after thinking through after all the things people posted I came up with a new idea built upon some of it. Of course all not set in stone.

Push 3 changes to have a narrower knockdown area which is like a tube in front of the Jedi that is a bit around the crosshairs. Not as pinpoint as a blaster shot but they would still basically need to be aiming at them. But here's the twist, it only is like that for instant button pushes. To compensate the animation should be sped up by about a quarter of a second, reducing the time that the Jedi is vulnerable. But wait, there's more. The power can also be charged up for maybe around 2 or 3 seconds for maximum to unleash a full scale Push that knocks down all runners in the regular arc. Also I think the charged up blast should push things back with greater velocity. That would make for some fun grenade tosses. Although, the charge should not be able to be held indefinite so after maybe 2 or 3 seconds of holding automatically goes off. Now, to think of our saberless Jedi friends even more can come of this but this is just expanding on the idea so it may be too much. Jedi with no sabers using Push 3 in melee can just tap it for full effect like it is now, but if they charge it fully it can Push over everybody in it's line of fire regardless of movement status. It would probably use more FP to compensate but that could make a force only Jedi a very valuable part of a team during a standoff. The issue of wookiees and SBDs I don't know of but if they could fall from it, would be a very useful ally to have.
push_zpsv9hvmodm.jpg

pushinstant_zpszpfgssuz.jpg

pushhalfcharge_zpst4gdmbrw.jpg

pushfullcharge_zpsdcg88aes.jpg

This can even be applied to Pull to make it affect a group after a charge, which would give that power a bigger oompf it definitely needs!

There have been a number of ideas posted in the thread, which may need to be expanded on and complimented, such as:
  • All levels of Push knockdown at different ranges and spreads
  • Changes in Force Point cost
  • Changes in Class Point cost
  • Delay before pushing
  • Charge up before use
  • Differing types of knockback areas

Below is my first original post.

Now before you all start saying "l2walk" what this stems from is just the amount of Jedi/Sith who only use Push 3 as their main offensive weapon. In my opinion it is way too effective and versatile for how cheap it costs in both class points and FP. When looking at Pull, not only does it cost more, but it is harder to use due to the direct aim required and shorter range. I have seen plenty of players who don't use Push 3, but in comparison to the majority that do they need to play a lot smarter and harder. Push is just too easy.

My proposed fix is very simple although I don't know if the engine allows it. Have push be the way it is for range and AOE, especially projectiles, except for the knockdown which needs to be on the crosshair. Of course the closer the range the more lax this would be and anyone pushed outside of the knockdown sweet spot would still get pushed back, to help get those guys on a cliff. Pull could even be reworked the same way so a large group of people could be nudged closer rather than fall down.

This would increase the skill required to use it and help reduce the class spam for people looking to get easy kills but still maintain the support role it can fill.

Here is a representation of what I mean.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/DarkFett/push._zpsbkp88iqp.jpg

Last edited:
We are going in circles and people are starting to turn into children
where is evian when we need him?

new idea for balancing push: rate of fire reduced by separate timer, giving enough time for soldier to charge and throw grenade after failed push - would it be fair?

Preston

Nerd
Difference here is how easy Push is to utilize compared to any of the abilities you listed. 90% of the players who are jedi/sith do indeed use Push, but you are forced on the defensive even against the 10% who don't simply because of lack of information, and that's where the fault lies.

For fun, here's my thoughts on the other abilities you listed:

Flamethrower is indeed easy to use, but a lot riskier as it hampers your movement and forces you to get close. Jedi/Sith have to be close regardless unless they're D3, their ability is instant and they keep their full mobility during the execution.

Arm-laser requires pin-point accuracy, not to mention you have to deal with that pesky delay from the click to the actual execution of the laser being fired. Honestly I don't see a reason to pick this over Flamethrower, but that's just me.

Poison darts again require pin-point accuracy, but I will say that it shouldn't really be hit-scan for how powerful it is. It's not really viable to use it on long range however as people will just meditate the toxins away, which makes it a close-quarters weapon where you are almost at equal risk of being murdered for using it... It does root you for a split second after all, which is all some people really need.

Wookie with Fury is seriously telegraphed and audio-mapped. You know when a wookie goes into fury and can act accordingly in due time before they
rush you, with Push you can't. Granted, I am terrified of Wooks, those things can tank ALL THE SHOTS, merely wounding one is what I consider an achievement.

Dash and Heal are both stupid abilities that shouldn't even be in the game as far as I am concerned, same with Dodge. Not going to bother explaining things here, I am heavily biased against these abilities, I don't like them.

Blobs is probably the one I am least bothered by, somebody downs me with a blob they deserve to have me dead as it's both a projectile and requires accuracy. Effort has to be made with Blobs, although some make it seem easy.

At the end of the day these are just opinion-pieces of each one, however in terms of balance I feel they are all far more fair than Push.
using rockets is easy to use, easy to counter, wook barge attack is easy to use, easy to counter,

dash is easy to use, meh to counter, blobs are easy to use, meh to counter, flame is easy to use, easy to counter, wrist laser is easy to use, meh to counter, cortosis is easy to use, meh to counter, swinging a glowstick is easy to use, easy to counter, concs are easy to use, meh to counter.

Poison is easy to use, hard to counter, sbd's ridiculous insta kill hs is easy to use, almost impossible to counter, clone mini gun is easy to use, meh to counter,

push is easy to use, easy to counter, pull is meh to use, meh to counter.
I still don't see the argument here. I know im repeating myself but its really that simple. just walk.. and shoot. If you cant walk its a player problem not a balance problem. Everyone that I see complaining about push are always gunners. Which slightly confuses me since its so easy to counter. The only thing push has going for it is that its easy to use, like everything else pretty much, and it destroys noobs. which isnt the games fault but the players. It seems most people get mad if you get pushed down once and then die, not counting the other 10 pushes that happend throughout the rounds that you easily avoided.

No offense to anyone, but the time you spent here today, complaining about why cant you walk ingame, and blaming other players and the game balance because you're bad gunners, you'd have improve yourself by playing the game and having fun. Anyway, this conversation is nothing to do with the OP post since page 3, so it'd be wise to close it, because its a half "rage fest", half "its not my fault" conversation now.

using rockets is easy to use, easy to counter, wook barge attack is easy to use, easy to counter,

dash is easy to use, meh to counter, blobs are easy to use, meh to counter, flame is easy to use, easy to counter, wrist laser is easy to use, meh to counter, cortosis is easy to use, meh to counter, swinging a glowstick is easy to use, easy to counter, concs are easy to use, meh to counter.

Poison is easy to use, hard to counter, sbd's ridiculous insta kill hs is easy to use, almost impossible to counter, clone mini gun is easy to use, meh to counter,

push is easy to use, easy to counter, pull is meh to use, meh to counter.
I still don't see the argument here. I know im repeating myself but its really that simple. just walk.. and shoot. If you cant walk its a player problem not a balance problem. Everyone that I see complaining about push are always gunners. Which slightly confuses me since its so easy to counter. The only thing push has going for it is that its easy to use, like everything else pretty much, and it destroys noobs. which isnt the games fault but the players. It seems most people get mad if you get pushed down once and then die, not counting the other 10 pushes that happend throughout the rounds that you easily avoided.
Push is not easy to counter though, and the amount of effort you have to put into it is negligible compared to everything else in the game.
Your only way of countering it is to always walk. If you run and the Jedi/Sith's reflexes is up to par, he needs to look in your general direction and press a button to knock you down. From that point on you are at the Jedi/Siths mercy. Walking all the time is not an option against good Jedi/Sith, even less so if they have D3.

Preston

Nerd
I agree, everyone has come to the conclusion push 3 needs to be adjusted and jedi need to deal with it.
by everyone you mean you, someguy, ony and twice dead, and people who think its fine, being me, agent008, vitez, macro. and somewhat supa on both sides. So thats 4v4 who pretty much posted about this. Half and half, welp seems nothing should change since its 50 50 amiright

Preston

Nerd
Push is not easy to counter though, and the amount of effort you have to put into it is negligible compared to everything else in the game.
Your only way of countering it is to always walk. If you run and the Jedi/Sith's reflexes is up to par, he needs to look in your general direction and press a button to knock you down. From that point on you are at the Jedi/Siths mercy. Walking all the time is not an option against good Jedi/Sith, even less so if they have D3.
you dont walk all the time you walk when you are near a sith. and with d3 just shoot at their feet, it wont come to you.

by everyone you mean you, someguy, ony and twice dead, and people who think its fine, being me, agent008, vitez, macro. and somewhat supa on both sides. So thats 4v4 who pretty much posted about this. Half and half, welp seems nothing should change since its 50 50 amiright

Macro left.
4 vs 3 :p

Preston

Nerd
Well anyways I think this argument has slightly lost its purpose lol, pretty much were all just repeating the same thing, and it seems no one on either side will change their mind.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Okay seriously enough with the arguments about l2walk or P3op, this is meant to be constructive feedback to better the game and even the balance between classes. Jedi needs some kind of change, and my idea is for push.

you dont walk all the time you walk when you are near a sith. and with d3 just shoot at their feet, it wont come to you.
No fucking shit you walk when you are close to a Jedi/Sith, the problem is that that's all you can do at that point if you want to be 100% certain you won't be knocked down, which again is not an option against decent jedi/sith.

How did it get into your mind that I was implying that Push somehow had Sniper range?

Preston

Nerd
No fucking shit you walk when you are close to a Jedi/Sith, the problem is that that's all you can do at that point if you want to be 100% certain you won't be knocked down, which again is not an option against decent jedi/sith.

How did it get into your mind that I was implying that Push somehow had Sniper range?
what? when did I say anything about sniper range rofl again. half the peopel in this thread think pujsh is balanced, half dont. in that case there should be no change. There no reason for me to reply to this thread anymore because of people who dont know how to walk, whateves

what? when did I say anything about sniper range rofl again.
you dont walk all the time you walk when you are near a sith.

That out of the way, and otherwise...
half the peopel in this thread think pujsh is balanced, half dont. in that case there should be no change. There no reason for me to reply to this thread anymore because of people who dont know how to walk, whateves
Fair enough.

I wouldn't change push to be like pull. This change wouldn't have a major impact imo and feels useless. The only difference this change would bring is that in multiple vs multiple situations push couldn't crowd control, and for 1v1 it would be a nuisance for jedi/sith (cause you have to aim), but it wouldn't really nerf force users/buff gunners.

Although in my opinion the problem with push is that it's risk/reward is too good.
1. Push is successful, gunner is knocked down: results in death of the gunner almost always.
2. Push fails: gunner may get in a few shots , but rarely ever results in the death of the force user, the outcome heavily depends on the circumstances, and jedi/sith still have a pretty good chance to kill the gunner either with another push or with a simple slash.

If anything gets changed about push, it should be something that punishes you better for a failed push. I'm fine with push as it is, but really, when I'm playing jedi/sith I'm just disgusted that how much I can get away with a bad push.

I wouldn't change push to be like pull. This change wouldn't have a major impact imo and feels useless. The only difference this change would bring is that in multiple vs multiple situations push couldn't crowd control, and for 1v1 it would be a nuisance for jedi/sith (cause you have to aim), but it wouldn't really nerf force users/buff gunners.

Although in my opinion the problem with push is that it's risk/reward is too good.
1. Push is successful, gunner is knocked down: results in death of the gunner almost always.
2. Push fails: gunner may get in a few shots , but rarely ever results in the death of the force user, the outcome heavily depends on the circumstances, and jedi/sith still have a pretty good chance to kill the gunner either with another push or with a simple slash.

If anything gets changed about push, it should be something that punishes you better for a failed push. I'm fine with push as it is, but really, when I'm playing jedi/sith I'm just disgusted that how much I can get away with a bad push.
Indeed. And people will say the gunner should aim better, but you can just shorthop right after the push and dodge nearly all the shots. Not much punishment for a failed push.

Preston

Nerd
Indeed. And people will say the gunner should aim better, but you can just shorthop right after the push and dodge nearly all the shots. Not much punishment for a failed push.
Yes but you also lose a 3rd of your fp. With the added shots of hp damage and fp it wont be long till the sith runs out of fp. The one thing you dont wanna so moss a push, if you do if the gunner is decent youll lose atleast 25 hp and half your fp in just 1 failed push

I think the influx of new players running around brandishing their glowsticks has changed people's perception for the worse. It feels like every time I jump on Pandemonium or Stomping Grounds more than half the players are jedi/sith. Actually, it feels closer to 3/4. I should preface this by saying I really only play Arc Troopers as my go to shoot-em-up. Because this conversation has devolved into... I don't even know, I'll try to give my unbiased thoughts.

The fundamental issue:
We all know jedi and sith are perfect counters, and counterparts, of each other. When I'm helping my team as a lone gunner, I expect them to hold back what feels like 3 or 4 enemy sith. But lately my jedi team charges who knows where, doing who knows what, leaving me to fight a 1v1 gunner vs Sith matchup. Now as far a balance is concerned I think push is fine. I think jedi/sith should have the slight advantage in a close 1v1 against a gunner (just my opinion).

My explanation:
I remember a time when gunners made up the majority of the team. On DotF playing as jedi, you had to fight for every inch of the main hall. Multiple snipers, maybe even a deka, and god forbid you were slapped down. Getting to the end of the hall was a feat of its own, but now you had to contend with multiple gunners. Force push was risky at best. Nowadays with so many sabers, it feels like I'm getting pushed by everyone and their mother. But don't you see? Now we come full circle, I've shown both sides of the issue. Gunners thrive in groups and jedi do well against lone gunners. Once this new wave of players begin experimenting with gunner classes everything will even out. So I'll summarize my thoughts:

TL;DR
I think push is balanced. I think people are looking at the issue through tinted glasses now that the majority of players are saberists. The metagame has changed. Push isn't OP, you just get pushed more because you aren't getting the support of other gunners. Once new players begin learning gunner classes everything will even out.

Preston

Nerd
I think the influx of new players running around brandishing their glowsticks has changed people's perception for the worse. It feels like every time I jump on Pandemonium or Stomping Grounds more than half the players are jedi/sith. Actually, it feels closer to 3/4. I should preface this by saying I really only play Arc Troopers as my go to shoot-em-up. Because this conversation has devolved into... I don't even know, I'll try to give my unbiased thoughts.

The fundamental issue:
We all know jedi and sith are perfect counters, and counterparts, of each other. When I'm helping my team as a lone gunner, I expect them to hold back what feels like 3 or 4 enemy sith. But lately my jedi team charges who knows where, doing who knows what, leaving me to fight a 1v1 gunner vs Sith matchup. Now as far a balance is concerned I think push is fine. I think jedi/sith should have the slight advantage in a close 1v1 against a gunner (just my opinion).

My explanation:
I remember a time when gunners made up the majority of the team. On DotF playing as jedi, you had to fight for every inch of the main hall. Multiple snipers, maybe even a deka, and god forbid you were slapped down. Getting to the end of the hall was a feat of its own, but now you had to contend with multiple gunners. Force push was risky at best. Nowadays with so many sabers, it feels like I'm getting pushed by everyone and their mother. But don't you see? Now we come full circle, I've shown both sides of the issue. Gunners thrive in groups and jedi do well against lone gunners. Once this new wave of players begin experimenting with gunner classes everything will even out. So I'll summarize my thoughts:

TL;DR
I think push is balanced. I think people are looking at the issue through tinted glasses now that the majority of players are saberists. The metagame has changed. Push isn't OP, you just get pushed more because you aren't getting the support of other gunners. Once new players begin learning gunner classes everything will even out.
Yes, this is exactly what I was saying earlier you just put it into better words. Any class whether it be gunner or jedi is op, woth numbers. A whole team of soldier will rek a mixed class team. Same with jedi or sith. Push isnt the problem, spam of a class is. And thats whats fun about open, doing any class and as much of that class that you want

Status
Not open for further replies.