Perspective from a new player

Status
Not open for further replies.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
So I spent a while playing the mod, I haven't played JKJA itself for quite some time, so I was highly interested in it. As a competitive Chivalry MW/DW player, for quite some time, I decided to try and apply what I've known.

(Yes, I know I'm new, however I believe my opinion does make a difference, as I do have significant experience in competitive melee-style games, and I can understand the design choices)

The blaster play, and movement is amazing, the force powers are also amazing (if weirdly imbalanced)... however the saber combat?

Feels absolutely terrible. It is difficult to even see what you're doing, or if you even have had a major effect. I used all of the styles, and it seems like Red is incredibly strong compared to the others. I'll break down the issues in as short as I can

Saber combat feels stale, and feels like a trading match where each player takes turns with a combo, and the one who did the most stamina break, wins. Occasionally winning by way of knockdown. Does not feel fluid or fun at all. Not to mention, I found that I can (using Chivalry footwork) make a Jedi/Sith opponent miss 10, 20, 30 times in a row, but there is literally no way to take advantage of making them swing like fools. If I dodge their attack, and attempt to punish, I am immediately met with them blocking, and if they are using red style, I lose BP. Which recovers incredibly slowly, I might add.

Against multiple opponents, it feels like I'm just trying to trick one into a quick kill, or praying that they kill each other.

For those who haven't played Mount and Blade, or Chivalry: Mount and Blade is incredibly direction based, and Chivalry is incredibly timing based (Unless you have a shield, which uses a similar stamina feature to what MBII was going for, methinks).

I honestly believe the block, should only occur when using the block button, and it should only work for a short time, and if you attack while holding block as the opponent's saber connects, you should be able to stagger them slightly. The BP system should be there to keep people from swinging like idiots, and you should lose BP as you miss attacks, similar to Chivalry. I believe that would work significantly better. Either that, or make attacking expose yourself significantly more, and for longer.

Balance it like a fighting game. If I block your saber, I get +4 frame advantage, and you either block, or you eat a 4 frame faster attack than yours. Blocking and Attacking should be two separate entities in a video game, not simultaneous, and then adding stamina ontop of that. It isn't realistic enough to merit such a system.

Another issue with Saber, is the deflection is flawed in a couple of ways, giving anyone with a blaster a supreme advantage over a single Jedi/Sith target. It takes an incredibly long time for a Jedi/Sith to recover from a failed push. I'd argue 2 competent Commandos are literally impossible to beat as a Sith/Jedi. Bottom line, blasters fire waaaaaay too quickly to be balanced, and this rapid fire lends them to be incredibly strong against melee-type units *EXCEPT* Wookies/SBDs, who appear blatantly overpowered anyway.

On a side note, why is Lightning so bad? If you force push lightning a gunner, and he happened to walk at just the right time, you simply die. You can't recover fast enough to zap him, and I have instances where I manage to land the lightning push, then use the FULL force bar, and still not kill the opponent... Really quite a terrible power.

inb4 git gud u suk u must be bad, as a typical community response.

Preston

Nerd
No, I want them to hit me while I'm open. As in, WHEN I'M OPEN. When I swung, and missed, I want them to hit me, sith, jedi, wookie, or gunner. However, that isn't the case. I want stagger so they can't just walk through an attack and hit me. That is a basic mechanic prevalent in just about every game featuring melee.

I tried that the moment I began playing, by running and attempting to dodge, but the Jedi does not deflect passively, so by running, I can easily get hit, and killed. Not to mention, manually dodging (Something I got good at in Chivalry) is somewhat ineffective without a proper reload on things like Droideka.

Alright, fair enough.

It isn't about buffing the Jedi/Sith to be tanky, it is about *nerfing* the rate of fire on Gunners, so that it takes more skill to aim shots, rather than spraying everywhere like a buffoon. If you swing at a gunner now, he doesn't even have to let go of the trigger, and you are shot 2-3 times. Rather, it should be a timing aspect, where the gunner shot, he has 0.5 seconds or so before his next shot (Again, movie blaster fire rate), so you can hit him inbetween his shots, or he can save a shot, and if you mistime your swing, he can insta-kill you with a point blank shot. However, at the time being, they just spray everywhere, and it is rather annoying. Less of a buff to Jedi/Sith, more of a nerf to the ease of gunners. Slow the fire rates.

That argument doesn't really work. Yes, team should always be a factor. However to quote Chivalry, once again, they have a game mode called 'Last Team Standing', which has no respawn. If you die, you die for good. I have managed to bring back games by killing an entire team by myself. That capability *should* be present in MBII. However with 10,000 grenades flying everywhere, and concussion blasts that are nearly impossible to read, and jedi to boot, it doesn't appear very possible.

Obviously, but that isn't what I was going for in that argument.
sigh. jedi and sith can deflect while running lol....

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
I tested it 6 times, with varying levels of Saber Deflect/Defense, and I deflected maybe 2 shots while running, and the rest were solid hits, against a singular clone opponent.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
jedi and sith can block everything in their normal cone of deflection while running

Really? Because that is absolutely not what happened to me... I was running towards him, looking directly at his rifle, and 7/10 shots connected with me. With rank 3 deflect and defense.

DW has guns, and plenty of projectiles. I don't see your point? Infact, it has a projectile that is unblockable, and will 1 hit kill you...

chivalry is not a game based around gunplay and you know that. chivalry ranged combat is similar to sniping in mb2 so compare it to that if you're going to do anything. even the pistols in m&b arent comparable.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
chivalry is not a game based around gunplay and you know that. chivalry ranged combat is similar to sniping in mb2 so compare it to that if you're going to do anything. even the pistols in m&b arent comparable.

Okay, fine, but how does that neutralize my argument about the fire rate of weapons in this?

Preston

Nerd
Really? Because that is absolutely not what happened to me... I was running towards him, looking directly at his rifle, and 7/10 shots connected with me. With rank 3 deflect and defense.
........... this is the end, this is when the world ends.

Okay, fine, but how does that neutralize my argument about the fire rate of weapons in this?

because you dont approach fighting gunners properly. you think that as soon as you get into range you have to swing, but thats not how this game works. you have to manipulate the gunner

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
because you dont approach fighting gunners properly. you think that as soon as you get into range you have to swing, but thats not how this game works. you have to manipulate the gunner

I understand, mind games, however I'm less concerned about killing the gunner as Jedi, but rather how easy it is to kill Jedi as a gunner, provided they don't have mind-trick and lightning. The fire rate, is simply too fast, and there is absolutely no punishment for lack of proper aiming/timing.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
No, I want them to hit me while I'm open. As in, WHEN I'M OPEN. When I swung, and missed, I want them to hit me, sith, jedi, wookie, or gunner. However, that isn't the case. I want stagger so they can't just walk through an attack and hit me. That is a basic mechanic prevalent in just about every game featuring melee.
That wasn't how it was designed, and is working as intended. If we made wookiee/SBD (the only classes that can actually survive multiple hits from a lightsaber) we make their melee moves effectively useless.
I tried that the moment I began playing, by running and attempting to dodge, but the Jedi does not deflect passively, so by running, I can easily get hit, and killed. Not to mention, manually dodging (Something I got good at in Chivalry) is somewhat ineffective without a proper reload on things like Droideka.
If you have defense you passively block shots even when you aren't blocking, unless you're out of force points or don't have defense.

You are buying defense 3, right?
It isn't about buffing the Jedi/Sith to be tanky, it is about *nerfing* the rate of fire on Gunners, so that it takes more skill to aim shots, rather than spraying everywhere like a buffoon. If you swing at a gunner now, he doesn't even have to let go of the trigger, and you are shot 2-3 times. Rather, it should be a timing aspect, where the gunner shot, he has 0.5 seconds or so before his next shot (Again, movie blaster fire rate), so you can hit him inbetween his shots, or he can save a shot, and if you mistime your swing, he can insta-kill you with a point blank shot. However, at the time being, they just spray everywhere, and it is rather annoying. Less of a buff to Jedi/Sith, more of a nerf to the ease of gunners. Slow the fire rates.
As I already explained, the higher the rate of fire the less FP you drain. Use the terrain to your advantage. Hide, and don't try to take on a ranged class out in the open without any sort of cover to regenerate your FP from. Jedi/Sith currently have very high FP regen.
That argument doesn't really work. Yes, team should always be a factor. However to quote Chivalry, once again, they have a game mode called 'Last Team Standing', which has no respawn. If you die, you die for good. I have managed to bring back games by killing an entire team by myself. That capability *should* be present in MBII. However with 10,000 grenades flying everywhere, and concussion blasts that are nearly impossible to read, and jedi to boot, it doesn't appear very possible.
Not if you're bumrushing towards the objective without thinking. Not every game is going to be winnable, no matter how good you are. Some maps are harder to attack than others and require more delicacy than pub players can offer.

I've made things like 1v6 work, but never consistently. Think of MB2 as more like Counter-strike than Chivalry, and you've got a good parallel to base your opinions and arguments off of.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
im sorry to tell you this but thats simply not how it works, and you are fundamentally misunderstanding a core mechanic in mb2

So hows about you explain it, then? Because between reading the amazingly helpful library, being teamkilled by the amazingly helpful veterans, and being told how vast and majestic this mod is on the forums by people who ALSO don't tell me anything... I'm beginning to think this mod is a cult.

You litteraly can not tell if this game is balanced in 12 hours let alone a couple of months. Its just not possible.
This game has tons of depth and a huge skill gap. I have over 3,000 hours in mb2 and have been playing for 6 years and I still dont know lots of stuff in this game. You simply cant play for 12 hours and understand the games balance, it takes much more time than that. And gunners have respawn for balance. If jedi had respawn it would be ridiculously over powerd that its not even funny. And pblocking is actually quite easy and again still has nothing to do with gunners.
/thread

I understand, mind games, however I'm less concerned about killing the gunner as Jedi, but rather how easy it is to kill Jedi as a gunner, provided they don't have mind-trick and lightning. The fire rate, is simply too fast, and there is absolutely no punishment for lack of proper aiming/timing.

ah man, i dont know what to tell you. the high fire rate weapons arent even the strongest guns against jedi and sith, its the slow firing ones like pistol 3 and a280 that give jedi the most trouble.

So hows about you explain it, then? Because between reading the amazingly helpful library, being teamkilled by the amazingly helpful veterans, and being told how vast and majestic this mod is on the forums by people who ALSO don't tell me anything... I'm beginning to think this mod is a cult.

there is nothing to explain. jedi and sith are able to block anything that they would be able to block while standing still holding mouse 2 while running

thats the explanation, thats all that needs to be said

edit: this is literally the same mechanic as from the singleplayer by the way!

Preston

Nerd

We have told you... paragraphs of information by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.