Mace is actually right about sabering

If you could revert sabering, what patch would it be?

• 1.3 (ive never played but heard a lot about it)

Votes: 46 42.6%
  • 1.4.2 (whichever was Pb counter patch)

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • 1.4.9 (acm spamfest)

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • 1.5 ('simple' patch)

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • 1.1 (played this one, still had old pb afaik)

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • RC1/2 (hear a lot but don't know much about)

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • b18 (hear a lot but don't know much about)

Votes: 9 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stassin Unfortunately no matter what you do you will never be able to cater and please everyone. It only ends in failure and no one is pleased in the end. Prequels tried to cater to everyone. Trillion meaningless lightsaber fights for edgy teens, boring senate meetings for oldfags, poop jokes for babies, Padme's 1000 costumes for little girls to have something to look at and Samuel L. Jackson oh because there was no one better to play an old black stoic dude who meditates 24/7. Look how that turned out. Just follow your instinct rather than trying to please this or that person or region.

@Def!led I started out in v0 and that stagger shit interests me not man. Aside from 1.4 and 1.5 which I somewhat enjoyed and hated at the same time, 1.3 is the only patch that brings back nice memories. I have never seen more diverse playstyles in all of my mb2, that shit was fun whether you were a god tier or a shit tier.

If I was a random noob right now I'd quit after a day in this patch. Just fought some really cool dude on TIN duel and man he had absolutely no idea how he was losing so fast. I admired his balls for staying in facehug but holly hell even I didn't understand how I drained him so fast. I mean I kinda know how but I don't understand it, which hit caused it, at what time, in what situation, it's impossible to see and understand for someone that doesn't read the Compendium every night before sleep and watches Sev's videos all day for end semester. But even then they'd get fucked cuz guess what his videos are old and he retired without pension. I really wanted to help the guy but man I didn't even know where to start.
Answer is: just spam counters. They're so broken and random they can drain literally anyone. It encourages people to either abuse them or start the good old catch me if u can faggotry. It's boring. It leaves players with sour taste in their mouth. It allows for no exploration of the actual intended mechanics, it's use, it's potential or to get an actual feel of them, because it ends so fast. Before you even know what was it that drained you and what mistake you made you're already dead. When I look at the old Sekundus vs Jewbacca / agent video and how deep the system looks there compared to how a regular duel looks like now it makes me want to cry. In fact not only is it not encouraging to improve now but honestly I think it's making people worse than they were before, like you're actually untraining yourself in dueling by playing this patch. It's mental. And not just the mental. But womental and childmental too.

For devs, I honestly don't see what's the best course of action. Either put all efforts in fixing sabering AS SOON AS POSSIBLE - and I literally mean ASAP, like, NOW, this week or next, so that the development on bigger and more important new things can continue smoothly OR just drop sabering all together, leave it a broken mess that is now and hope that new players will find solace in new game modes, tutorials and hopefully new maps that can gain focus at last.

@Def!led I started out in v0 and that stagger shit interests me not man. Aside from 1.4 and 1.5 which I somewhat enjoyed and hated at the same time, 1.3 is the only patch that brings back nice memories. I have never seen more diverse playstyles in all of my mb2, that shit was fun whether you were a god tier or a shit tier.

If I was a random noob right now I'd quit after a day in this patch. Just fought some really cool dude on TIN duel and man he had absolutely no idea how he was losing so fast. I admired his balls for staying in facehug but holly hell even I didn't understand how I drained him so fast. I mean I kinda know how but I don't understand it, which hit caused it, at what time, in what situation, it's impossible to see and understand for someone that doesn't read the Compendium every night before sleep and watches Sev's videos all day for end semester. But even then they'd get fucked cuz guess what his videos are old and he retired without pension. I really wanted to help the guy but man I didn't even know where to start.
Answer is: just spam counters. They're so broken and random they can drain literally anyone. It encourages people to either abuse them or start the good old catch me if u can faggotry. It's boring. It leaves players with sour taste in their mouth. It allows for no exploration of the actual intended mechanics, it's use, it's potential or to get an actual feel of them, because it ends so fast. Before you even know what was it that drained you and what mistake you made you're already dead. When I look at the old Sekundus vs Jewbacca / agent video and how deep the system looks there compared to how a regular duel looks like now it makes me want to cry. In fact not only is it not encouraging to improve now but honestly I think it's making people worse than they were before, like you're actually untraining yourself in dueling by playing this patch. It's mental. And not just the mental. But womental and childmental too.

This is a pretty accurate description of how I feel about the current sabering system.

@Stassin Unfortunately no matter what you do you will never be able to cater and please everyone. It only ends in failure and no one is pleased in the end. Prequels tried to cater to everyone. Trillion meaningless lightsaber fights for edgy teens, boring senate meetings for oldfags, poop jokes for babies, Padme's 1000 costumes for little girls to have something to look at and Samuel L. Jackson oh because there was no one better to play an old black stoic dude who meditates 24/7. Look how that turned out. Just follow your instinct rather than trying to please this or that person or region.

For devs, I honestly don't see what's the best course of action. Either put all efforts in fixing sabering AS SOON AS POSSIBLE - and I literally mean ASAP, like, NOW, this week or next, so that the development on bigger and more important new things can continue smoothly OR just drop sabering all together, leave it a broken mess that is now and hope that new players will find solace in new game modes, tutorials and hopefully new maps that can gain focus at last.

RC1 had more diverse playstyles with only 5 of them. Also, I never said I liked v0, a lot of duelists left because of that build. The last good build was v1 and the best build by far is RC1. You can chalk it up to being an opinion but when you see the community dwindle after said builds, it becomes more of a fact.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Prequels tried to cater to everyone. Trillion meaningless lightsaber fights for edgy teens, boring senate meetings for oldfags, poop jokes for babies, Padme's 1000 costumes for little girls to have something to look at and Samuel L. Jackson oh because there was no one better to play an old black stoic dude who meditates 24/7. Look how that turned out. Just follow your instinct rather than trying to please this or that person or region.
Excuse me?
Prequels are great movies on their own, they are original, they have a lot of beautiful saber duels, likable characters, making sense storyline, endless source of memes etc etc etc, the list goes on and on.
The only part where prequels really did drop the ball was gungans, and that's it.
Prequels don't need be compared with bad movies to look good.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
RC1 had more diverse playstyles with only 5 of them. Also, I never said I liked v0, a lot of duelists left because of that build. The last good build was v1 and the best build by far is RC1. You can chalk it up to being an opinion but when you see the community dwindle after said builds, it becomes more of a fact.
There's one thing i didn't really like about RC1 though, the fact that the blocking animations locked your input for soo long, 2-3 times longer than in v1.4/v1.5. It sure was visual, but exaggerated. Though i'll admit i didn't really realize that at the time as it was simply fun to play, and the playstyles/skill levels were generally not as crisp/high as now apart from a very few counted on one hand, so it didn't feel problematic.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Before any other updates, PLS fix the freezing and fps issue!!! What the hell happened because pre 1.5 there was no freezing when someone spawned

Before any other updates, PLS fix the freezing and fps issue!!! What the hell happened because pre 1.5 there was no freezing when someone spawned
its the joining mid round that causes it. since no one could switch model mid round all the lag just happened at the start of the round. now it happens during the round too

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
And if you turn deferred models on it should be fixed.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
its the joining mid round that causes it. since no one could switch model mid round all the lag just happened at the start of the round. now it happens during the round too
Yh true, should go back so dueling would be much smoother

Yh true, should go back so dueling would be much smoother
bring back RIS 2018

i dont know, both have their pros and cons. Looking back at it, midround joining wasn't as needed as private duels i guess.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
I have asked you how but you never answered
I have answered several times. I think the cvar is cg_deferPlayers. It is definatly Setup -> Game Options -> Defer Player Models

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
I have answered several times. I think the cvar is cg_deferPlayers. It is definatly Setup -> Game Options -> Defer Player Models
You can look our pms on discord and ive asked once, you didnt answer but at least you answered now

ADAD is heaven compared to what we got afterwards. Hell, it can be fixed by reducing damage from continual ADAD hits, don't need no ridiculous PB system for diagonal swings to be encouraged. Either way, it was hell of a fun, with nudge and shit. The only gripe people (or me, anyway) had with V0.1.4 was the near-unavoidable side-kick knockdown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.