•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Mac Launcher Crashes

Hey guys,

I'm running OSX 10.11.4. I downloaded the Mac MBII launcher and moved it into the 'Contents' folder, but when I run the launcher it begins to startup and the simply. Dies. Running it from the terminal yields some error output:

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /Users/littlejon/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app/Contents/MBII Launcher 2.app.
When I go into the launcher, to "MBII Launcher.app/Contents/MacOS" and run the MBIILauncher executable in there, it get a bit more of an error:

* Assertion at class.c:5078, condition `class' not met
Native stacktrace:
0 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x007ca886 mono_handle_native_sigsegv + 342
1 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x0081b031 sigabrt_signal_handler + 129
2 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x9344879b _sigtramp + 43
3 ??? 0xffffffff 0x0 + 4294967295
4 libsystem_c.dylib 0x9ba6bc34 abort + 156
5 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x0093deb1 monoeg_log_default_handler + 129
6 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x0093dfab monoeg_assertion_message + 107
7 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x00828fda mono_class_init + 1450
8 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x0083468e mono_class_get_method_from_name_flags + 46
9 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x00836977 mono_class_get_method_from_name + 39
10 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x008da26c mono_init_internal + 4268
11 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x008dac58 mono_init_from_assembly + 24
12 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x00718b6f mini_init + 2063
13 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib 0x00794db5 mono_main + 4981
14 MBIILauncher 0x00081ad8 main + 424
15 libdyld.dylib 0x9e5da6ad start + 1
Debug info from gdb:
(lldb) command source -s 0 '/tmp/mono-gdb-commands.OYHwpZ'
Executing commands in '/tmp/mono-gdb-commands.OYHwpZ'.
(lldb) process attach --pid 29334
Process 29334 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 0x989fac, 0x9692acee libsystem_kernel.dylib`__wait4 + 10, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = signal SIGSTOP
frame #0: 0x9692acee libsystem_kernel.dylib`__wait4 + 10
libsystem_kernel.dylib`__wait4:
-> 0x9692acee <+10>: jae 0x9692acfe ; <+26>
0x9692acf0 <+12>: calll 0x9692acf5 ; <+17>
0x9692acf5 <+17>: popl %edx
0x9692acf6 <+18>: movl 0xd33d32f(%edx), %edx
Executable module set to "/Users/littlejon/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app/Contents/MBII Launcher 2.app/Contents/MacOS/./MBIILauncher".
Architecture set to: i386-apple-macosx.
(lldb) thread list
Process 29334 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 0x989fac, 0x9692acee libsystem_kernel.dylib`__wait4 + 10, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = signal SIGSTOP
(lldb) thread backtrace all
* frame #0: 0x9692acee libsystem_kernel.dylib`__wait4 + 10
frame #1: 0x9ba8b7dc libsystem_c.dylib`waitpid$UNIX2003 + 48
frame #2: 0x007ca94d libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`mono_handle_native_sigsegv(signal=6, ctx=0xbff806ec, info=0xbff806ac) + 541 at mini-exceptions.c:2193 [opt]
frame #3: 0x0081b031 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`sigabrt_signal_handler(_dummy=<unavailable>, _info=<unavailable>, context=<unavailable>) + 129 at mini-posix.c:208 [opt]
frame #4: 0x9344879b libsystem_platform.dylib`_sigtramp + 43
frame #5: 0x9692a573 libsystem_kernel.dylib`__pthread_kill + 11
frame #6: 0x9071a654 libsystem_pthread.dylib`pthread_kill + 101
frame #7: 0x9ba6bc34 libsystem_c.dylib`abort + 156
frame #8: 0x0093deb1 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`monoeg_log_default_handler(log_domain=<unavailable>, log_level=<unavailable>, message=<unavailable>, unused_data=<unavailable>) + 129 at goutput.c:233 [opt]
frame #9: 0x0093dfab libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`monoeg_assertion_message [inlined] monoeg_g_logv(log_level=G_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR, format=<unavailable>) + 85 at goutput.c:113 [opt]
frame #10: 0x0093df56 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`monoeg_assertion_message(format=<unavailable>) + 22 at goutput.c:133 [opt]
frame #11: 0x00828fda libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`mono_class_init(class=<unavailable>) + 1450 at class.c:5078 [opt]
frame #12: 0x0083468e libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`mono_class_get_method_from_name_flags(klass=0x00000000, name=<unavailable>, param_count=<unavailable>, flags=2090642544) + 46 at class.c:9676 [opt]
frame #13: 0x00836977 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`mono_class_get_method_from_name(klass=0x00000000, name="PerformWaitCallback", param_count=0) + 39 at class.c:9616 [opt]
frame #14: 0x008da26c libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`mono_init_internal(filename=<unavailable>, exe_filename=<unavailable>, runtime_version=<unavailable>) + 4268 at domain.c:846 [opt]
frame #15: 0x008dac58 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`mono_init_from_assembly(domain_name="MBIILauncher.exe", filename="MBIILauncher.exe") + 24 at domain.c:891 [opt]
frame #16: 0x00718b6f libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`mini_init(filename=<unavailable>, runtime_version=<unavailable>) + 2063 at mini-runtime.c:3079 [opt]
frame #17: 0x00794db5 libmonoboehm-2.0.dylib`mono_main(argc=2, argv=0x008d91d1) + 4981 at driver.c:1934 [opt]
frame #18: 0x00081ad8 MBIILauncher`main(argc=1, argv=0xbff80ce8) + 424 at temp.c:244
frame #19: 0x9e5da6ad libdyld.dylib`start + 1
(lldb) detach
=================================================================
Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
used by your application.
=================================================================
Process 29334 detached
(lldb) quit
Any ideas?

kikili

Movie Battles II Team
Try to launch it through terminal by typing :
cd "/Users/littlejon/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app/Contents/"
mono MBIILauncher.exe

Which MBII Mac launcher anyway? All the Mac users use the JKJALaunch now to start MB2. I'm under the assumption that currently there's no other way to launch MB2 on macs. Feel free to proove me wrong.

Oh the word "mac" confused me, I call that simply MBII launcher. EDIT: I was thinking about the older MBII Mac launcher made by Redsaurus IIRC, which sadly doesn't work anymore.

By the way regarding that launcher, the beta launcher didn't work for me, and the previous launcher (which can be downloaded from the main page of the forums) wants me to download the new version(=beta version), so I can't use it at the moment either. Not like it matters because I have 1.3 and I'm pretty sure that once 1.4 comes out there will be a working version of the launcher for mac users as well.

EDIT2: Question is which version did OP download? If the one for 1.3., then it is futile to get it to work as it will only ask you to download the newer version. Note: from the main pages you can only download the 1.3/older version.

Last edited:
Try to launch it through terminal by typing :
cd "/Users/littlejon/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app/Contents/"
mono MBIILauncher.exe
I tried this. A dialogue pops up saying there is a newer version of the launcher I must use. The dialogue leads me to a download page for both the Mac and Windows launchers. But these launchers have the same respective problems listed here.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
beta launcher didn't work for me
If you have some problems with beta Launcher, please post detailed bug report about what exactly issues you have, so @LoU could fix it in next release.
Without bug reports, it's not possible to resolve incompatibilities, especially when we're talking about running Launcher (which is Win32 application) on Mac using mono.
which can be downloaded from the main page of the forums) wants me to download the new version(=beta version
No.
Beta is beta, but the version launcher wants to download is simply newer version, not beta.
If Launcher can't update itself automatically, download it manually:
http://update.moviebattles.org/launcher/MBIILauncher.exe

I honestly don't understand why they keep old version on main page, it really should be updated. =\
Also I find Download page pretty confusing. It should be reworked completely.
A dialogue pops up saying there is a newer version of the launcher I must use. The dialogue leads me to a download page for both the Mac and Windows launchers

In fact, there are three versions of MBII Launcher:

Old one, from main page, that always tries to update itself, 3.0 MB:
http://www.moviebattles.org/download/MBIILauncher.exe

Current, which people should use now, 3.97 MB:

Beta version, anti-cheat included, can be used too, I think, 4.13 MB:
https://www.moviebattles.org/download/beta/MBIILauncher.exe
Which MBII Mac launcher anyway? All the Mac users use the JKJALaunch now to start MB2. I'm under the assumption that currently there's no other way to launch MB2 on macs. Feel free to proove me wrong.
To start MBII on Mac it's better to use native OS X application, yes.

The main feature of MBII Launcher is detecting and repairing broken installations.
It's extremely useful feature, especially (but not limited to!) when your Internets ain't so sweet, and it's possible to download broken files.

Also, to play on beta servers, Windows users were have to keep Launcher running all the time due a new anti-cheat system.
In future, using Launcher may become mandatory for all platforms.

Last edited:
No.
Beta is beta, but the version launcher wants to download is simply newer version, not beta.
If Launcher can't update itself automatically, download it manually

Yeah it couldn't update itself, I had to download manually but I downloaded the beta launcher. Now thanks to you I got the correct one. :)
So it works.

In fact, there are three versions of MBII Launcher:

Old one, from main page, that always tries to update itself, 3.0 MB:
http://www.moviebattles.org/download/MBIILauncher.exe

Current, which people should use now, 3.97 MB:

Beta version, anti-cheat included, can be used too, I think, 4.13 MB:
https://www.moviebattles.org/download/beta/MBIILauncher.exe
:eek: Good to know. Chronzerg you should get the 3.97 MB too.
I guess the beta version intentionally didn't work with mac, cause we can't cheat? Well only thing I cared about is that I could play the beta.

EDIT:
Where do you find this link anyway? I could only get the 3.0 MB one.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I guess the beta version intentionally didn't work with mac, cause we can't cheat?
Don't know, but since I cannot find any post where somebody from the devs says that beta Launcher shouldn't work on mac anyway, you'd better post information about how exactly Launcher "didn't work".
Where do you find this link anyway? I could only get the 3.0 MB one.
Launcher - [SOLVED] launcher won't update | Movie Battles II Community

The problem is that new Launcher was released pretty long time ago, 1 February, but link on main page still leads to old one.

So I downloaded the 3.97 MB Launcher. I deleted my MBII folder and ran the launcher to download the mod. When the download is complete, I started up JKA MP and loaded the MBII mod, but when I attempted to join a game I got the message:
"You are missing some files referenced by the server..."​
Turning on server downloading didn't help.

As a side note, I tried to start the game using the JKJA Launcher, but no matter what app I select it always said:
"Current Version Selected: Unsupported"​

Any thoughts on either of these issues?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I deleted my MBII folder
That was unnecessary.
I started up JKA MP and loaded the MBII mod, but when I attempted to join a game I got the message:
You need to start the game using JKJA Launcher.
As a side note, I tried to start the game using the JKJA Launcher, but no matter what app I select it always said:
"Current Version Selected: Unsupported"
Run JKJA Launcher (holding Shift key, I guess), and set CORRECT path to your "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.app" or whatever it's called on your machine.
Default path in Launcher may be INVALID, and edit box where path shown is pretty short.
Please set up path manually.

Also you must set
Code:
+set fs_game MBII
in "Command Line Options".

It's possible you'll need to move Launcher into correct folder; destinations can be:
~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy
~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app/Contents
or similar.

[SOLVED] - Some question about the game on Mac | Movie Battles II Community
Technical Issue - Can't join most of the Servers (MAC) | Movie Battles II Community
Technical Issue - Another mac install problem | Movie Battles II Community

Last edited: