•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Some question about the game on Mac

Hey ! I recently start to play back to JKJA on my Mac, and i would like to try the mod. Only, i can't download it anymore on moddb, and the links on the site are for the Windows installer.
So i wonder if there is a way to play the game (im in OS X 10.11) with this mod (i play the game with steam, is that a problem ?)

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Star Wars: Movie Battles II v1.3.2 Full download

There's the package download on Moddb. There are installation instructions for getting it to run on Mac as well on the wiki, which can be found as a link in my signature below this post. I would ignore Mono and just use JKJALaunch instead; I myself couldn't get the Launcher working with Mono, you'd be better off just going the other route.

Star Wars: Movie Battles II v1.3.2 Full download

There's the package download on Moddb. There are installation instructions for getting it to run on Mac as well on the wiki, which can be found as a link in my signature below this post. I would ignore Mono and just use JKJALaunch instead; I myself couldn't get the Launcher working with Mono, you'd be better off just going the other route.
I tried to use the JKJALaunch but he asked me to locate the app, and i don't know where to find it.
I also try with Mono, i launch it with the Terminal and install it, but when i press the Play button, then it show me this message (in terminal)
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2

Referenced from: /Users/caronis/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy/mbii.x86.app/Contents/MacOS/mbii.x86

Reason: image not found

Supa

The Serial Stacker
The path to the game is provided on the installation wiki page, and varies from user to user depending on what version of the game they're running, whether it be the Steam version, a physical CD/DVD copy or a direct download off of the Mac app store.

Which one is the Path ?

This ? ~/Library/Application\ Support/Jedi\ Academy; mono ./MBIILauncher.exe
Or this ? /Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy

Sorry for the stupid question but i try the both of them and the "OK" button still unclickable

And i add the MBII App and folder in the Application support folder, sould i remove it ?

Supa

The Serial Stacker
The second one. It should be in Application Support.

1. Navigate to your home library folder, by using the "Go" menu of the Finder while pressing the "alt" key.
  2. Go to "Application Support".
  3. Then depending on the version of jka you use open the folder :
    • "Jedi Academy" : for Steam Version
    • "Jedi Academy MP" : for CD Version
    • "OpenJK" : for OpenJK version
  4. Select the folder MBII contained in Movie Battles II .zip file, and drag it in to the folder previously identified (at point 3). There must be ONLY an MBII folder with all the files. If you have a zip containing a patch don't replace the entire folder, but replace the content inside that MBII folder.
  5. There are several ways to run MBII on a Mac :
    • On earlier patches (1.01c/d), you can hold shift while running Jedi Academy MP and type in “+set fs_game MBII”
    • Alternately for the newer patch (1.01e) and steam version, Redsaurus has provided us with an application for Mac that launches straight to MBII, JKJALauncher.app (you can download that here or here). You will need to launch it the first time holding the shift key to configure it by adding "+set fs_game MBII" in its setup.
  6. Enjoy!

There isn't any app in the Jedi Academy folder :/

Here is the screen of my folder :
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2019.44.36.png

And i try on the JKJALaunch to put that path but it doesn't work, showing me this message :
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2019.45.55.png

By the way, if i use the "Choose button" i can't reach the folder, i can't even found the Library folder in my user folder

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
There isn't any app in the Jedi Academy folder :/

Here is the screen of my folder :
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2019.44.36.png

And i try on the JKJALaunch to put that path but it doesn't work, showing me this message :
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2019.45.55.png

By the way, if i use the "Choose button" i can't reach the folder, i can't even found the Library folder in my user folder
Not sure, maybe this will help:

1. Right click on game Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  2. Properties
  3. Local Files
  4. Browse Local Files
  5. You will find the folder "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy"
  6. Right click
  7. Show package contents
  8. You will see folder "Contents" and "installscript_osx.vdf"
  9. Click and open Contents
  10. Move Launcher to here
  11. Start Launcher the way you did it before
  12. Set "Locate Jedi Academy" according to contents of Contents (lul) since app should be in this folder.
Wrong; it's all about path to Jedi Academy app, which is in Steam folder and named "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.app", while default path in the Launcher set to "Jedi Academy MP.app" and should be rewritten.

Last edited:

Supa

The Serial Stacker
My Jedi Academy folder was actually invisible. I'm not really sure why.

If you open terminal and type cd ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy you should find it.

My Jedi Academy folder was actually invisible. I'm not really sure why.

If you open terminal and type cd ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy you should find it.
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2020.15.48.png
I don't understand why he tell me this, because i'm in the file... x)
Maybe because my Mac is a French one and i have to use a french path ?

Not sure, maybe this will help:

1. Right click on game Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  2. Properties
  3. Local Files
  4. Browse Local Files
  5. You will find the folder "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy"
  6. Right click
  7. Show package contents
  8. You will see folder "Contents" and "installscript_osx.vdf"
  9. Click and open Contents
  10. Move Launcher to here
  11. Start Launcher the way you did it before
  12. Set "Locate Jedi Academy" according to contents of Contents (lul) since app should be in this folder.
That makes sense but...
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2020.17.35.png

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2020.15.48.png
I don't understand why he tell me this, because i'm in the file... x)
Maybe because my Mac is a French one and i have to use a french path ?

That makes sense but...
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2020.17.35.png
I can't see full path on your screen, if it ends as "Jedi Academy MP.app", rewrite it to "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.app"

I can't see full path on your screen, if it ends as "Jedi Academy MP.app", rewrite it to "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.app"
Well i try to remake the path manually, then instead of choose "browse package contents" in Star Wars Jedi Knight i select it (the Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy folder) and i can click in the OK button. Then, he tell me to choose between multiplayer and singleplayer.
Only, if i choose multiplayer, i get the vanilla game, no changes :/

(Sorry again for the long times it takes, and thanks for your patience ><)

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Well i try to remake the path manually, then instead of choose "browse package contents" in Star Wars Jedi Knight i select it (the Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy folder) and i can click in the OK button. Then, he tell me to choose between multiplayer and singleplayer.
Only, if i choose multiplayer, i get the vanilla game, no changes :/

(Sorry again for the long times it takes, and thanks for your patience ><)
There are several ways to run MBII on a Mac :
Alternately for the newer patch (1.01e) and steam version, Redsaurus has provided us with an application for Mac that launches straight to MBII, JKJALauncher.app (you can download that here or here). You will need to launch it the first time holding the shift key to configure it by adding "+set fs_game MBII" in its setup.

"+set fs_game MBII"
^this

@Supa already quoted this part of Installation guide above.

There are several ways to run MBII on a Mac :
Alternately for the newer patch (1.01e) and steam version, Redsaurus has provided us with an application for Mac that launches straight to MBII, JKJALauncher.app (you can download that here or here). You will need to launch it the first time holding the shift key to configure it by adding "+set fs_game MBII" in its setup.

"+set fs_game MBII"
^this

@Supa already quoted this part of Installation guide above.
Sorry but it's the launcher i have to open holding shift ? If i do so, i have the same window as i show you before, so where should i past the +set all thing ?

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Oh c'mon
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-26%20at%2021.09.04.png

I love you men !!!

Thanks to both of you for you advices and your help :D
Wow this looks bad... I can't see changelog on your screen, please check are you able to join any server... :(

We already had a user who didn't have a changelog in his main menu, he also couldn't connect servers... But he's solved his issues by the steps I already suggested you.
Here is his post:
===
This happens with every server yes, I connected to server with default mb2 maps like dotf, jedi temple, corellia.

Regarding the JKJA launcher: the desktop path says invalid too, I guess it's because I didn't create a desktop icon when I installed the game from steam.

Something is very wrong with my installation, because I tried creating a solo game with /devmap mb2_dotf and the game crashes, so my non professional conclusion is that my game can't make use of the mb2 files, despite they are sitting there in the app support as you can see on my screenshot.

Also on your screenshot we can see the change log on the main menu, but on my main menu the change log is empty.

EDIT: FIXED: [SOLVED] - Crashing when joining server | Movie Battles II Community in this thread, the attached picture helped me. I realized that in the JKJA launcher app I have to rewrite the path's ending to "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.app" instead of the default "Jedi Academy MP.app", then launched mbii through the JKJA launcher and I could connect to server now. So this problem is solved, I hope I won't run into any other. Also got the changelog on my main menu, so everything seems fine.
===
Technical Issue - Another mac install problem | Movie Battles II Community

I hope you do use Launcher to start the game, do you?

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Well, i wasn't expected that but... it works ! :D
So you *can* join a servers, yes?
If you do, that's great.

But also I have to inform that part of instructions I wrote to you were wrong, sorry about that.
If you will ever experience some problems, please move Launcher back where it was, to /Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy, but keep settings (path and command line options) as you set them last time, i.e. "Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.app" and "+set fs_game MBII" should stay as they are.

Last edited:
So you *can* join a servers, yes?
If you do, that's great.

But also I have to inform that part of instructions a wrote to you were wrong, sorry about that.
If you will ever experience some problems, please move Launcher back where it was, to /Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy, but keep settings (path and command line options) as you set them last time, i.e. +set fs_game MBII" should stay.
Yep i can play :)
And i haven't any problem for now, thanks again for your help :)