It Seems the mod is somewhat Dead after v1.4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.4.5 was a development patch. If ppl expected more that can't be helped. Mb2 community can be pretty harsh, especially in NA. Much as I hate to say it AOD is the best NA server that sees constant action to play on if you are new.

The rules ate enforced, and generally dickery is not tolerated there.

The official servers when they have population are good too.

Outside of these servers there is from what I have seen a severe lack of moderation.

I am cool with a bit of ribbing, playful banter is great the social aspect of mb2 is something you don't get in other games anymore. It gets taken too far too often though.

PS I am not the best but I know my way around the mod better than most and would be more than happy to help out some dudes if they want guidance along the way.

Been thinking of writing guides or tips but as stated before ppl don't want to read novels they wanna fight

If you ask me, I would remove all the PB, ACM, ACC, semi-PB, PB counter, and other abstract concepts from the sabering system, BP drains on swing would be per swing and not on holding attack button, just like in the previous patch, and there wouldn't be swingblocking. All the perks would be removed too, both gunner vs saber and saber vs saber, the choice of a style would depend on the personal liking of their concrete form (how they swing, how fast, how much damage, etc.) and playstyle. The winner of a duel would be the one who achieves more swings while receiving less (depending on the swing speed of different styles and their different BP damages). This would be much more intuitive and concrete and wouldn't rely on some abstract concepts, but on concrete, material, visible things. The only abstract concept that would stay would be BP. This kind of approach would bring MB2 sabering system closer to the JKA sabering system, which is, you must all agree, better, as it doesn't deal with any abstract concepts or anything alike, but only with that which can be seen the saber and player peform. It would basically be the same as the JKA system, as BP is basically an extension of your health, and only when it is drained does HP get affected. I would also reintroduce all the saber katas as they would work with this kind of saber system. This system would then put more emphasis on what's there on your screen, on the direct interaction between you and your enemy and your sabers. There will be ways to cleverly strike your opponents with your swings, and to dodge them by jumping or what else, or to knock the enemy down for getting more swings on them or defending yourself, etc. It will all be there on your screen. What's more, this kind of sabering system would be much easier to learn and much more newbie-friendly, but it wouldn't lose the possible window of mastering, improving and getting better with it with practice, just as the JKA saber system is.

I have a feeling this was an irony, or smth.

which is, you must all agree, better
Umm, no. But that's subjective.

Fun fact:
Basejka had its own dueling scene, and guess what? Even though their game have no such "abstract concepts" as, for example, ACM, their duelists developed own set of techniques. And these techniques neither was obvious nor easier to learn.

Being newbie sucks

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team

Fun fact:
Basejka had its own dueling scene, and guess what? Even though their game have no such "abstract concepts" as, for example, ACM, their duelists developed own set of techniques. And these techniques neither was obvious nor easier to learn.

Being newbie sucks

Indeed. I was part of the basejka dueling scene before I discovered MBII. I even played in a few tournaments. Lots of different yawing depending on the situation, and W swing style with red etc, dual WD+SA wiggle jump spam, staff adad while jumping. There were lots of advanced techniques in base dueling that required precise mechanical inputs of both combos (aka pressing the keyboard) aswell as moving your mouse alot. If viewed in that light, MBII is just a much more polished version of base dueling, but it's all built on the same base. Stripping away all the good features of MBII is not gonna make noobs play better. All it's going to do is remove alot of skill from dueling. Might aswell go play base if u feel that MBII's system is so super complex... I mean, it's not like there are several guides, a ton of videos and forums on which to ask questions. It boils down to if you're willing to put in the time to get better.

If you ask me, I would remove all unique sabering mechanics that separate this mod from baseJKA so that newer players become less frustrated with having to spend time learning how to play a game.
4NTNw7H.jpg

i bet doing that would actually speed up the death of the dueling portion of this game. older players would become frustrated with it, newer players wouldn't have any drive to learn anything because there wouldn't be much to learn aside from how to accurately press buttons

duel system needs to have a better balance, while making it more user friendly.
its hard to transform that idea into actual process but it needs to be done.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
If you ask me, I would remove all the PB, ACM, ACC, semi-PB, PB counter, and other abstract concepts from the sabering system, BP drains on swing would be per swing and not on holding attack button, just like in the previous patch, and there wouldn't be swingblocking. All the perks would be removed too, both gunner vs saber and saber vs saber, the choice of a style would depend on the personal liking of their concrete form (how they swing, how fast, how much damage, etc.) and playstyle. The winner of a duel would be the one who achieves more swings while receiving less (depending on the swing speed of different styles and their different BP damages). This would be much more intuitive and concrete and wouldn't rely on some abstract concepts, but on concrete, material, visible things. The only abstract concept that would stay would be BP. This kind of approach would bring MB2 sabering system closer to the JKA sabering system, which is, you must all agree, better, as it doesn't deal with any abstract concepts or anything alike, but only with that which can be seen the saber and player peform. It would basically be the same as the JKA system, as BP is basically an extension of your health, and only when it is drained does HP get affected. I would also reintroduce all the saber katas as they would work with this kind of saber system. This system would then put more emphasis on what's there on your screen, on the direct interaction between you and your enemy and your sabers. There will be ways to cleverly strike your opponents with your swings, and to dodge them by jumping or what else, or to knock the enemy down for getting more swings on them or defending yourself, etc. It will all be there on your screen. What's more, this kind of sabering system would be much easier to learn and much more newbie-friendly, but it wouldn't lose the possible window of mastering, improving and getting better with it with practice, just as the JKA saber system is.

Oh yes, let's just throw out the most complex and indepth lightsaber mechanics to have ever existed. Because new players can't learn things.

Fun fact:

Being newbie sucks
If viewed in that light, MBII is just a much more polished version of base dueling, but it's all built on the same base. Stripping away all the good features of MBII is not gonna make noobs play better. All it's going to do is remove alot of skill from dueling. Might aswell go play base if u feel that MBII's system is so super complex... I mean, it's not like there are several guides, a ton of videos and forums on which to ask questions. It boils down to if you're willing to put in the time to get better.

4NTNw7H.jpg

i bet doing that would actually speed up the death of the dueling portion of this game. older players would become frustrated with it, newer players wouldn't have any drive to learn anything because there wouldn't be much to learn aside from how to accurately press buttons

Oh yes, let's just throw out the most complex and indepth lightsaber mechanics to have ever existed. Because new players can't learn things.
I'm not writing this here only because that system would be newbie-friendly, which it would anyway be, more than the MB2 one, but because I think that system is better, and, in fact, I've met numerous other MB2 players stating the same thing. I know everything about the dueling in JKA, and yet I know nothing about MB2 dueling, as I didn't find it alluring to learn.
I have to disagree that MB2 saber system is better. Some people may find it like that, but I don't. I didn't even bother to learn it. The JKA one is much more interesting for me and I learned everything about it. It was so exciting to learn to saber in JKA, mastering all those techniques and strategies with other people and practising and discovering new things.
I know this system I proposed will probably never be implemented, I just wrote it there how I would do it/like it.

k4far

Banned
Donator
I'm not writing this here only because that system would be newbie-friendly, which it would anyway be, more than the MB2 one, but because I think that system is better, and, in fact, I've met numerous other MB2 players stating the same thing. I know everything about the dueling in JKA, and yet I know nothing about MB2 dueling, as I didn't find it alluring to learn.
I have to disagree that MB2 saber system is better. Some people may find it like that, but I don't. I didn't even bother to learn it. The JKA one is much more interesting for me and I learned everything about it. It was so exciting to learn to saber in JKA, mastering all those techniques and strategies with other people and practising and discovering new things.
I know this system I proposed will probably never be implemented, I just wrote it there how I would do it/like it.

Which game has more players at this point base JK or MB?

k4far

Banned
Donator
I don't know, I've never counted it. Why do you ask that?

I would have a base to agree or disagree, more or less. I used to play both base and I am currently playing Movie Battles.
Base JK, Lugormod were so highly exploited... cheaters, ddosings, selling personal information all that roaming free.

MB has a standard to things at least. Basic dueling follows all these "friendly" things I have mentioned. From these choices I definitely prefere what Movie Battles has to offer.

I would have a base to agree or disagree, more or less. I used to play both base and I am currently playing Movie Battles.
Base JK, Lugormod were so highly exploited... cheaters, ddosings, selling personal information all that roaming free.

MB has a standard to things at least. Basic dueling follows all these "friendly" things I have mentioned. From these choices I definitely prefere what Movie Battles has to offer.
You can't compare MB2 and JKA as a whole. MB2 has other things than the sabering system, and I certainly don't prefer it over the JKA sabering system.

k4far

Banned
Donator
You can't compare MB2 and JKA as a whole. MB2 has other things than the sabering system, and I certainly don't prefer it over the JKA sabering system.

Well, it is fine.
I have more fun dueling in Movie Battles 2 than I had in Lugormod. Lugormod is bout brainless shaking the mouse and calling it ability. And base JK just got boring very fast because of dull maps and lacking ideas of what to do.

Lugormod was quite fun when I was introduced to building and then got people to enjoy my maps. But it was boring side activity "building" became the main one and game itself was terrible. No idea why it held me for so long. Competitive does not apply to base JK. There is way more better games.

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin

I dont wanna be rude but this is the most stupid idea i have ever heard. The thing is that these sort of suggestions always come from people who dont play duel mode. If you wanna play open and be a good jedi/sith, you dont need all the knowledge that goes into dueling. Its called duel mode as it offers a whole different world of gameplay.

If duel mode was made simple and bland i would just quit immediatly. Open =/= Duel, they are 2 completely different genres and while they do affect each other as the mechanics carry over, a duelist who has no experience in open mode wont perform well in it unless put into a 1v1 scenario. In that situation, the experienced open mode player of course wouldnt stand around and challenge the duelist, but lead him to his teammates instead, like an open mode player is supposed to do as its a team based gamemode.

If you dont have experience/knowledge in dueling, dont suggest radical changes that only affect duel mode, because again Duel =/= Open. Its just infuriating and silly from a duelist perspective.

Last edited:

AaronAaron

Donator
Im gonna be sick. Seriously, these ideas are very, very bad. There would be no skill in saber v saber this way, making it awful, and ruining duel mode. No thank you.

eezstreet

Movie Battles II Team Retired
While I do think that the saber system is more complex than it needs to be, you can't pare it down quite down to the level of baseJKA and have something that's fun to play, in my opinion. JKA is more random, and not in a twitch/good way like JK2 1.02 was. I have my own opinions about what the saber system could be but it'd also likewise alienate a lot of the hardcore duelists out there. It'd be better for the devs to just listen to the pros about what could make each style more competitive and derive a useful way (as a developer/noob) to make that more understandable to the player. Although, it should be pointed out that depth for the sake of depth leads to a bad experience for the player and there are a couple of key things that I think shouldn't exist for this reason (things like, having to walk instead of run for optimal swingblocking)

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
While I do think that the saber system is more complex than it needs to be, you can't pare it down quite down to the level of baseJKA and have something that's fun to play, in my opinion. JKA is more random, and not in a twitch/good way like JK2 1.02 was. I have my own opinions about what the saber system could be but it'd also likewise alienate a lot of the hardcore duelists out there.
I've gotten some interesting ideas out of suggestions that in themselves weren't fit for implementing so there's no harm in making suggestions.
It'd be better for the devs to just listen to the pros about what could make each style more competitive and derive a useful way (as a developer/noob) to make that more understandable to the player.
This is more or less what I've been doing. Making things more understandable is always a challenge but it's something I have talked with others about.
Although, it should be pointed out that depth for the sake of depth leads to a bad experience for the player and there are a couple of key things that I think shouldn't exist for this reason (things like, having to walk instead of run for optimal swingblocking)
Agreed. On the swingblock thing, you don't have to walk to swingblock. It's just generally better in regards to control over what you're doing. Walking can also help mask whether or not you're swingblocking against those who attempt to Mblock and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.