It Seems the mod is somewhat Dead after v1.4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

eezstreet

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I think there's two different subtopics here that need detangling:

1. Whether or not the lightsaber mechanics are over-complicated (they are, but that's maybe for another thread)

2. Whether the player count is decreasing as a result of the patch.

As a point of #2, people have been saying this for pretty much every version. And to an extent they're right but it really doesn't have much to do with the patch itself. Sure, one or two people may be disillusioned with the changes made to the game, but in my experience in online communities, these people will almost certainly be back. It's more of a symptom of the game slowly dying. Slowly as in, slower than JKA itself. I think the player counts are still pretty much the same as they were 4 or 5 years ago.

There was a comment made about "the game is dying because nothing is fundamentally changed about the game." No, this game is dying because it's old. Even some of the old developers are working on sequels. I will say that I've seen some "fundamental changes" so to speak that have been in the pipes for a while, but these changes aren't going to make the game brand new.

And that's fine. Playing the game is still fun, for the most part.

There was a comment made about "the game is dying because nothing is fundamentally changed about the game." No, this game is dying because it's old. Even some of the old developers are working on sequels. I will say that I've seen some "fundamental changes" so to speak that have been in the pipes for a while, but these changes aren't going to make the game brand new.
Well, of course, this game will always stay this game, but, for example, if a new class was added that would be quite a monumental change and would incite a new interest into the game. A new class would also change how some of the old classes are played, it would be an addition that would affect and change the whole game, breathing new life into it.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
The real issue and why it feels dead right now, other than a few numbers, is the retarded ddossers and trolls that are currently infesting every server. To hell with you cowards hiding behind VPNs and aliases and ddosing/laming.

k4far

Banned
Donator
The real issue and why it feels dead right now, other than a few numbers, is the retarded ddossers and trolls that are currently infesting every server. To hell with you cowards hiding behind VPNs and aliases and ddosing/laming.

We should have a mechanic that would force "padawans" to set different names as the join the game. Pop-up or something "Please choose your name".
So they can not play unless they do it, and the it is all easy to track them down and keep banning their IPs till their crappy VPNs run out.

We should have a mechanic that would force "padawans" to set different names as the join the game. Pop-up or something "Please choose your name".
So they can not play unless they do it, and the it is all easy to track them down and keep banning their IPs till their crappy VPS run out.
Doesn't seem very secure for me, might lead to some innocents banned.

I remember LoU talking about implementing some sort of mac address ban feature. But that might be just my imagination.

P.S. Soz, edited my post. Forgot the part about mac address ban for some reason.

k4far

Banned
Donator
How is that going to help, exactly? Playing under "padawan" name doesn't really protect you in any way.

It does, you do not treat someone you can not call by his name seriously. From what I have seen... how lightly the same person playing under "padawan" allias playing on many servers calling people names, riding their families - just casualy doing whatever he wants.

I have been told "it is not serious enough to waste time and look up on him". What can we even hope to do with such a attitude.

I know it is easier to toss things a side, since it is a bother, contribution of time and what I think is the most important no one is directly harrasing your butt, but think of others.
I do not like listening regularly to someone being abused like this. What is the guy to do... make a report against "padawan".

Lowest of filth.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
That's kinda funny coming from you.

Ah I see we have a solution to the problem. All the people using VPN and Aliases and laming/abusing etc are obviously me, so ban me. Problem solved.

Alias is not the biggest problem really. It's the fact that when the admin bans the lamers, they proceed to ddos the servers and make the game unplayable. I dunno if there's some ddos protection for servers still available, but it could be an option. I mean, as long as ppl can play the game, they can surely deal with billy bob chat spam or the occasional TK/lamer that is then kicked/banned. It's the ddosing of servers that is the real problem.

Nah. Why are all 31 players forced to mute one asshole.
I don't really care about other 30 people. They are free to do (or not to do) whatever they want. If somebody annoys me, I /ignore them. If they get REALLY annoying, for example spamming the chat with binds, I /mute them if I can or ask an admin to do it. That's all there is to it.

And back to the original point, banning "padawan" nickname is not going to solve anything. I don't see how it possibly can.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Regarding DDOS counter-measures.

I overheard once "Europe Lugormod" is using a CloudFlare for their in game servers, and a few custom modifications that succesfully prevent it from happening. Why we would not try to learn from the others if we fail to succeed ourselves. Taking advice is not a shame.

Attacks are still a problem, after so many years...

Reactions: SeV
I'm actually kinda amused by this thread. The idea that "MB2" is dead.

I actually think the population has basically stayed at the same amount for the past couple of years. If you think this is dead, Imagine how all of us oldies felt when we stopped having 500 + people daily.

I don't even think if MBII was a free game (didn't need JKA) if we would ever return to what we once had. It would be neat if we did.

But the whole "death" thing happened a long time ago, when a majority of the server hosts died / stopped supporting JKA.

k4far

Banned
Donator
... happened a long time ago, when a majority of the server hosts died / stopped supporting JKA.

We need one week long advertisement to get twice the size in numbers imo. Not everyone, even nowdays is all about graphics. Crappy android games ripping people of their parents money are getting more attention just by using in Paint made advertisements (stupid slogans at that too.)

That would be a good idea, but who will fund this?
It wouldnt help. New people would join but they would only be killed by "pro" players and without any form of guidance leave the game.
Moviebattles 2 has amazing features but its just one overcomplex mess and the constant switching of the saber system is no real help.
I have seen the sabersystem change with every patch and its almost this way:

Sabersystem 1.0
update
Sabersystem 1.1 ( new features and stuff)
oh shit 1.1 is crap lets roll back
update
Sabersystem 1.2 (halfway between 1.0 and 1.1 but you literally have to learn everything again)
rinse and repeat

This game is hard to learn and hard to master and the problem that goes with this philosopie is that
new people mostly dont even want to learn how to play.

Why should you spend many hours to learn a complex game
when your getting killed all the time by some guy who plays for 10 years and is literally unbeatable for you.
New player wont be interested for long under these circumstances.

The last time a real patch with new features released is already a couple of years ago
( fire and sound grenades for example or the "new" saber styles in open mode)

The way the game is right now it gets to borring for old players after a while because of the lack of features
and its to systemchanging and hard to learn for new players so its a lose lose situation

and now lets go and call me a noob because I try to tell you that this game is hard to learn and hard to master :) gg well played

Status
Not open for further replies.