It Seems the mod is somewhat Dead after v1.4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

eezstreet

Movie Battles II Team Retired
About DDOS, Caelum's server hosting has pretty effective DDOS mitigation and runs MB2 servers.

Personally I've only experienced TKer/DDOS like once on tR and the server only had sputtery lag for a few minutes. Don't know what provider they use. Wouldn't call it a major problem based on what I've seen, at any rate. It's actually funny, I've seen more people get kicked/executed for accidental TK than anything malicious. Maybe I'm just lucky or Americans are less prone to malicious behavior than others or something.

Anyway, I think if the game "feels" dead it's because of how rushed the patch was, but that's not really the dev's fault. I think people were expecting more and got disappointed.

About DDOS, Caelum's server hosting has pretty effective DDOS mitigation and runs MB2 servers.

Personally I've only experienced TKer/DDOS like once on tR and the server only had sputtery lag for a few minutes. Don't know what provider they use. Wouldn't call it a major problem based on what I've seen, at any rate. It's actually funny, I've seen more people get kicked/executed for accidental TK than anything malicious. Maybe I'm just lucky or Americans are less prone to malicious behavior than others or something.

Anyway, I think if the game "feels" dead it's because of how rushed the patch was, but that's not really the dev's fault. I think people were expecting more and got disappointed.
to be fair I also expected more in this patch
This game finally has to create a saber system and leave it be without fundamentall changes with basically every patch

eezstreet

Also, I agree with previous posters, the saber system is way too overly complex. In general, the game doesn't relay enough information to the player and the information that is relayed is not obvious enough to understand. On top of this, duels tend to drag on forever in Open mode.

Not trying to derail this thread even more, but does somebody knows why mb3 development was canceled?

Not trying to derail this thread even more, but does somebody knows why mb3 development was canceled?
as far as I remember some kind of bug that wasnt possible to fix
could be wrong

also wasnt there a new game made by the devs?
cant remember the name

Didn't EW-Jedi_Boyd write a script for people to use to prevent DDOS attacks? Whatever happened to that

Jewbacca said:

So many things.

I've seen more people get kicked/executed for accidental TK than anything malicious.
The TK system is bullshit for this. It's good against TKers, but bullshit for this. You basically can't play any risky class, like grenadier, rocketeer or bounce shot ARC, without eventually getting raped by TK points for an unlucky nade/rocket/bounce shot. The TK system is the biggest enemy of these risky builds. Once you accumulate those 400 points, they will stay like that for rounds and you will get executed each round without a way to lower the TK points.

Is anyone even arguing over the point of the thread anymore?

The guy who made the post was saying that duel servers are less populated now than they were in 1.4.4

That is definitely true from what I've seen, and there must be a reason for it.

Also the gay elitist shit doesn't make people want to play, I too often see new people join and rage quit within the same hour because they get picked on by some oldfag calling them 'shit' and constantly killing them

Yeah in one or two cases it might make you want to get good like them, but for the majority, that isn't the case.

eezstreet

Didn't realize we were talking about duel mode specifically. I was speaking in general.

Jaikanatar

US Official Server Admin
The real issue and why it feels dead right now, other than a few numbers, is the retarded ddossers and trolls that are currently infesting every server. To hell with you cowards hiding behind VPNs and aliases and ddosing/laming.
Valid point

Jaikanatar

US Official Server Admin
Personally I've seen a slight increase in duel population and a quite noticeable decrease in Open population. (In NA)

I hop on some in the morning, and a lot in the evening. Basing it off those times.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Is anyone even arguing over the point of the thread anymore?

The guy who made the post was saying that duel servers are less populated now than they were in 1.4.4

That is definitely true from what I've seen, and there must be a reason for it.

Also the gay elitist shit doesn't make people want to play, I too often see new people join and rage quit within the same hour because they get picked on by some oldfag calling them 'shit' and constantly killing them

Yeah in one or two cases it might make you want to get good like them, but for the majority, that isn't the case.

Yup this kind of despicable behaviour happens more frequently nowadays. A couple of years ago new players would be met with ppl like myself who would help them with the basics and teach them the game, now they just get trolled, ppl tell them to type /quigon in the console etc etc. All part of a bigger problem with a certain part of the community. (The degenerate, trolling, VPN Laming, ddosing cowardly part of the community, that is).

Also about the TK system, maybe something should be done. MBII is rather unforgiving for newer players and trolls/TKers can get around it with a VPN.

Antraxo

Donator
Whenever I get back from work and decide to play I'll see at least one full open server and one full duel server the rest is just either 2/32 players or 0. I mean you can play at almost any time depending on your timezone there is always a hotspot for EU and US.

Haven't had the feel yet that this is dead/dying but I've been only playing for the past 1-2 years regulary.

What I mostly noticed is people disappearing and reapearing a month later. I guess everyone likes to take a break or play other games too nothing against that.
Regarding the new-user-friendlyness I can't really relate to that since I grew up with these games.
It's pretty hard to get someone to play this kinda game. I tried it with two of my friends and they really enjoy MB2 and it's easy if you have someone who explains stuff to you.

Stepping into the game blind is really hard specially if you never seen anything about it. The thing that I did back in the day was already suggested here i.e. watch videos about it (thanks vongs) or read a bit of library if you really want to know how stuff works but after all what really helped me was getting my ass kicked and soon I saw improvement in my playstyle or strategies just like any other game or thing in life. You git gud the more you practice.

4624037-5865354922-tumbl.gif

sadly this mod has lots of issues that hasnt been resolved since previous patches and well as someone mentioned before in this thread one of those problems is the community being toxic and doing negative things to the mod like ddosing, or ppl that abuse of tking , and theres no real way to control this behaviour, i wish there was a new implemented system for the login in this game like an account system with pin and well i think that would be a better way to ban ppl for good perhaps? then the other issue is the dueling system its way too complex and sometimes annoying, its only fine for those that are way too experimented with the mechanics even when they change the dueling system over patches ppl that were op with saber are always op with it, because they have so many years under that department, i think they really need to make the dueling system in particular more user friendly ive said this before on the feedback area because i think ITS really required in order to make ppl become more interested of it, im sure there are many more problems but you gotta fix them one at a time with quality and not quantity.

k4far

Banned
Donator
Duel servers are less populated now than they were in 1.4.4

Trolls liked to repulse to interrupt and since they can not they stick to Open now.
Also, holidays... break from the game?

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
sadly this mod has lots of issues that hasnt been resolved since previous patches and well as someone mentioned before in this thread one of those problems is the community being toxic and doing negative things to the mod like ddosing, or ppl that abuse of tking , and theres no real way to control this behaviour, i wish there was a new implemented system for the login in this game like an account system with pin and well i think that would be a better way to ban ppl for good perhaps? then the other issue is the dueling system its way too complex and sometimes annoying, its only fine for those that are way too experimented with the mechanics even when they change the dueling system over patches ppl that were op with saber are always op with it, because they have so many years under that department, i think they really need to make the dueling system in particular more user friendly ive said this before on the feedback area because i think ITS really required in order to make ppl become more interested of it, im sure there are many more problems but you gotta fix them one at a time with quality and not quantity.

It's hard to strike that fine balance between easy to learn, hard to master, 80 is easy, the other 20 percent is hard and what differentiates skilled players. I believe that the future saber revamp will address this to some degree. It's not about complexity per se, but the ease with which a new player can pick it up and play it. Also, what makes people feel like it's really complex and crazy and weird and hard to learn is undoubtedly also linked to the fact that they feel completely out of their depth when they meet someone who's extremely good at the game, and they overturn everything they ever knew to do and nothing the new player does seems to work and that frustrates some people, because like in chess, understanding is directly linked with ability in the saber system. In order to fully understand the system, they have to learn the system. In order to learn the system they have to understand the system so they can practice the required mechanical skills, refrain from what doesn't work and emphasize on what does work. It's a strange thing, but it doesn't work the other way around. Say you have someone who knows all the numbers and details like how much each swing does. That is not necessarily correlated with 'understanding' the system itself, because understanding also comes from knowing the implications implicit in the aforementioned numbers and how they then affect the system itself.

So we should ideally have a more userfriendly version of the blocking system, a harder version of the blocking system. An easier way to attack and a harder (but more rewarding) way to attack and so on. We do have the easy way to attack atm, it's called holding mouse 1 and adad. But I believe that it's stupid how these swings drain more BP than swingblocked attacks, since swingblocking a 4 hit combo takes considerably more skill than just holding M1 and adad. With the blocking system we have an easy way to block aswell, simply holding M2. However, perfect block as it is with the aimed PB zones is rather unintuitive in the beginning, but makes alot of sense to experienced players. That is why I believe the introduction of a secondary blocking system that is perhaps easier and less rewarding than the aimed PB, and maybe less reliable, would go some way towards making it easier for newer/less skilled people to get into. You need only think a weaker version of the old PB. Does it not make intuitive sense to you that if you hit your opponents lightsaber, it should drain less BP than if you hit his body? Perhaps hitting the lightsaber shouldn't even give you ACM since it is not actually a bodyhit but a saberhit/collision. I feel this would bring alot of things to current sabering, and possibly help with the new player learning intuitively, cause it simply makes sense that if you hit the opponents blade it does less damage than if u hit his body directly etc.

There are a number of changes being worked on in the beta that look promising, but of course I am not at liberty to elaborate.

But getting back to the pop problem, as Antraxo said. It's not like there are so few playing that it's impossible to find a game. But if we don't act soon it might be too late and the pop might not recover. If we act now, crack down on trolls/lamers and those who abuse new players etc, reform the TK system to be more user friendly (Or simply disable it and have a call admin function), we might be able to increase pop again. Also with the disabled TK system players on the server would be able to take justice into their own hands without being afraid of TK points. So at the start of a round if tehre is 1 or 2 lamers the whole team can just quickly dispose of them then proceed to play. That probably makes more sense atm than having the super punishing TK system in place? I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.