Ideas To Improve The Melee System

Not many people in this game know how to melee fight, and it's because there's no reason to not choose something more useful over melee. For instance: blasters, sabers, grenades, and rockets. They all do more damage, some are ranged, and they are easier to use. But what if people actually had a reason to use melee for more than just an alternative to saber dueling? Here's how I think the melee system could be improved.

1. Make it to where you can disarm people and take their currently equipped weapon when you kata them.

The reason for this is because if you get outplayed by someone who isn't using weapons, then you deserve to lose yours, or if they managed to knock you over. This will make the game more enjoyable, and of course jedi, sith, and wookies can't use the weapons when they kata people unless it applies to their class specifically. And a way to counter this is to switch weapons before getting knocked over. Teammates would not be able to do this to each other of course.

2. Allow any class to have side getups when they get knocked over when they have melee out.

This can be useful for those with good reaction time who know they are about to be knocked over. Sure being knocked over should be punishing, but being able to react quick enough to get out melee before being knocked over wouldn't be that bad. It would also make it to where people in melee fights aren't forced to just eat a kata when they play as a class that doesn't have any directional or quick getups.

3. Make punching do half the damage it does now when your enemy has melee out.

Punchspamming actually works in melee fights, and it should never. It's a stupid but easy way to fight against those who are actually experienced at melee fighting. Punchspamming makes melee less enjoyable and should be nerfed only when people have melee out and are not knocked over. They should do the damage they do now against enemies that are ONLY knocked over when they have melee out, so that way melee has a higher skill ceiling when facing multiple attackers because if you kata one of them, the other is either gonna punch you until the animation is finished or knock you over. Punching should however still do the same amount of damage to those who do have weapons out because you need to do damage to them as quickly as possible when you can't rely on some of your weapons because they may be out of ammo, or they were taken from you.

So those are my ideas for ways to improve melee, tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:
I really like the weapon grabbing Idea if you knock the armed enemy down, That sounds cool especially for people who main hero or soldier melee only meme builds.

I think the level of complexity of melee combat is very much in a perfect position as to how much attention should be given to a relatively smaller mechanic in the game.

While I do think it could do with some buffs after it got nerfed with the longer cooldown, new abilities like weapon stealing might be a bit excessive.

Expanding movesets with side get ups and such would be nice though.

As somebody who has melee'd for years, melee is in a pretty good position as it is; more towards point, I would not be against most changes proposed except for your thoughts and proposed change on/for 'punchspam'.

'punchspam' doesn't exist. Must emphasize that anybody who whines about 'punchspamming' is in need of classic 'git gud' memes.

Easily counterable, and after a counter, easily punishable for nearly half the opponents health if you know what you are doing. I am available to prove this at a time of your choosing if you wish it(contact me on discord, sure melee mando can provide it to you). Will point out the problem you have with it not working is due to you blocking after having been punched a few times, tends not to work after a few punches for some reason.

srsly tho its like getting mad at somebody for mblocking in duels while u refuse to swingblock.

im gonna go nap now ecksdee

Me
Please bring back torso freeze for gods sake

bring back kenshiro punch and hug pls

As somebody who has melee'd for years, melee is in a pretty good position as it is; more towards point, I would not be against most changes proposed except for your thoughts and proposed change on/for 'punchspam'.

'punchspam' doesn't exist. Must emphasize that anybody who whines about 'punchspamming' is in need of classic 'git gud' memes.

Easily counterable, and after a counter, easily punishable for nearly half the opponents health if you know what you are doing. I am available to prove this at a time of your choosing if you wish it(contact me on discord, sure melee mando can provide it to you). Will point out the problem you have with it not working is due to you blocking after having been punched a few times, tends not to work after a few punches for some reason.

srsly tho its like getting mad at somebody for mblocking in duels while u refuse to swingblock.

im gonna go nap now ecksdee

bring back kenshiro punch and hug pls
Yes, melee is in a pretty good position, but this won't change it too much, they are just simple improvements that will make it to where if you melee fight someone as a class without fast or directional getups currently, you won't be forced to just lay there and eat a kata for getting knocked over once. It will also make it to where nobody can just chainkata you near a wall when they knock you over once, and it will make it to where they can't just back kata you over and over until you run out of hp.

Being able to snatch weapons is a way to make it more viable.

Making it to where punching just does less damage so long as someone has melee out and isn't knocked over will also increase the skill ceiling for melee fighting multiple attackers as well since you cannot block both of their punches before they do too much damage. Most people don't constantly punch often in melee either so this shouldn't be a problem if the damage is just cut in half so long as people don't get a weapon out or they aren't knocked over.

Last edited:

Mcbober

Movie Battles II Team
I mostly agree with Rosh that melee is in a pretty good spot, though I think we desperately need to fix the insta kata bug, as it really ruins the melee battle experience in my opinion.

That being said, some of these ideas aren't bad. We've toyed with the idea of a class ability to steal weapons via melee, and I still think that's a cool concept we might explore down the road, but as Mace detailed that concept doesn't work the way the weapon code is set up right now and would require significant changes.

I mostly agree with Rosh that melee is in a pretty good spot, though I think we desperately need to fix the insta kata bug, as it really ruins the melee battle experience in my opinion.

Insta-kata bug is less of a bug and more of a feature at this point. Nothing wrong with it as it is perfectly counterable and adds a lot of depth to melee, no need to 'fix' it. As always, am free to demonstrate this any time I'm available. You can reach me on Discord.

Is there any way to counter being back kata'd to infinity after being knocked down once?

If your class cannot at minimum roll side-to-side from a knockdown, there is no way to get out of being back-kata'd to infinity, and as funny as it is, it does need to be tweaked so that it is far more difficult to do.

If your class CAN at minimum roll side-to-side then yes, and it is very easy to do.

Oh hell ya let's give the trolls more incentive to troll! I love the idea man 10/10 finally getting back to the Star Wars roots! On that note, can we also buff rocket arc to where you can't push the rocket and if you kill your teammates it counts as an actual kill? Also I think we should buff TDs thrown at dekas to cause an atomic explosion and kill the entire server! Haha it's just so lulzy and fun! Can't wait to roleplay as kung fu master stormtrooper pilot, just like the movies!

Oh hell ya let's give the trolls more incentive to troll! I love the idea man 10/10 finally getting back to the Star Wars roots! On that note, can we also buff rocket arc to where you can't push the rocket and if you kill your teammates it counts as an actual kill? Also I think we should buff TDs thrown at dekas to cause an atomic explosion and kill the entire server! Haha it's just so lulzy and fun! Can't wait to roleplay as kung fu master stormtrooper pilot, just like the movies!
Shut up

Go play battlefront

Terrible idea. This will just make melee broken and more memey than it already is.

HARD NO
Melee is buggy, but not op. This wouldn't make it more memey, it'd just give side rolls to more classes and reduce the damage of punching when you punch someone that isn't knocked over and has melee out.