Ideas To Improve The Melee System

Not many people in this game know how to melee fight, and it's because there's no reason to not choose something more useful over melee. For instance: blasters, sabers, grenades, and rockets. They all do more damage, some are ranged, and they are easier to use. But what if people actually had a reason to use melee for more than just an alternative to saber dueling? Here's how I think the melee system could be improved.

1. Make it to where you can disarm people and take their currently equipped weapon when you kata them.

The reason for this is because if you get outplayed by someone who isn't using weapons, then you deserve to lose yours, or if they managed to knock you over. This will make the game more enjoyable, and of course jedi, sith, and wookies can't use the weapons when they kata people unless it applies to their class specifically. And a way to counter this is to switch weapons before getting knocked over. Teammates would not be able to do this to each other of course.

2. Allow any class to have side getups when they get knocked over when they have melee out.

This can be useful for those with good reaction time who know they are about to be knocked over. Sure being knocked over should be punishing, but being able to react quick enough to get out melee before being knocked over wouldn't be that bad. It would also make it to where people in melee fights aren't forced to just eat a kata when they play as a class that doesn't have any directional or quick getups.

3. Make punching do half the damage it does now when your enemy has melee out.

Punchspamming actually works in melee fights, and it should never. It's a stupid but easy way to fight against those who are actually experienced at melee fighting. Punchspamming makes melee less enjoyable and should be nerfed only when people have melee out and are not knocked over. They should do the damage they do now against enemies that are ONLY knocked over when they have melee out, so that way melee has a higher skill ceiling when facing multiple attackers because if you kata one of them, the other is either gonna punch you until the animation is finished or knock you over. Punching should however still do the same amount of damage to those who do have weapons out because you need to do damage to them as quickly as possible when you can't rely on some of your weapons because they may be out of ammo, or they were taken from you.

So those are my ideas for ways to improve melee, tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:
Agreed on all 3 points. Although I think if the weapon is disarmed and dropped on the ground, it would be picked up right away. So if you get kata'd, you lose your weapon. Seems like a hefty toll to me. How about making it so the weapon is unable to be stolen by anyone for a short period, and have the player be the only one capable of picking it up through this period.

Agreed on all 3 points. Although I think if the weapon is disarmed and dropped on the ground, it would be picked up right away. So if you get kata'd, you lose your weapon. Seems like a hefty toll to me. How about making it so the weapon is unable to be stolen by anyone for a short period, and have the player be the only one capable of picking it up through this period.
Actually when I said you disarm them and take their weapon, I meant you instantly get it. It won't be a balance issue because everyone will be able to do this. This is to prevent the one that lost their weapon from just picking it back up or to prevent others from taking the weapon that you earned.

If used correctly, a mando could end up flying around with fuel 3, cr3, and proj. That sounds like it could make or break a round lol

If used correctly, a mando could end up flying around with fuel 3, cr3, and proj. That sounds like it could make or break a round lol
I think snipers are bs, but if they were to get those weapons then they certainly earned them since it would've been extremely dangerous to get them in the first place with melee.

Jvne

Internal Beta Team
US Official Server Admin
👺
tfw you are about to attempt to disarm a jedi as a stormie

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
Weapon stealing could be fun, its already super fun to get a random weapon that a Jedi or Sith pulled and making a template/build based around that on various classes could be fun to play.

I like side get-up rolls if knocked down being available while in melee for all humanoid classes.

I would only be ok with punch damage to be decreased (in any form) if kata damage was increased (like get kata'd get dead increased), being stuck in place and doing bad damage isn't fun.

Weapon stealing could be fun, its already super fun to get a random weapon that a Jedi or Sith pulled and making a template/build based around that on various classes could be fun to play.

I like side get-up rolls if knocked down being available while in melee for all humanoid classes.

I would only be ok with punch damage to be decreased (in any form) if kata damage was increased, being stuck in place and doing bad damage isn't fun.
Katas do a lot of damage already, and the only way for you to be stuck in a place from katas is if you get stuck in a corner. And of course all humanoid classes would be the only ones to have side rolls, it is ridiculous how you just lay there when you get knocked over and just eat a kata when you are melee fighting someone.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
1. Make it to where you can disarm people and take their currently equipped weapon when you kata them.

We cannot currently do this, as weapons can get mutated as they change class. We have a set amount of weapon slots, and one of the ways we make more weapons is basically by specifying different functionality when its in the hands of another class. This currently does happen when using pull too, but that happens way less often overall than this would. We also had plans a long time ago to make this a part of spy class, where it was a specific class melee move, but things like mutation were a problem. Maybe with some of the class backend changes for tutorials we can look into this again, because I am not personally sure how far it goes toward solving this issue.

2. Allow any class to have side getups when they get knocked over when they have melee out.

I think all classes should have this period.

Punchspamming actually works in melee fights, and it should never. It's a stupid but easy way to fight against those who are actually experienced at melee fighting.

That is what switching to melee, and blocking is for. This is something we just need to educate people about in the tutorials.

Blocking isn't always reliable when it comes to countering punchspam. Sometimes too many punches get through to the point where they do too much damage already before you can successfully block a punch. I don't know why blocking a punch doesn't always work, maybe it is a bug that will never get looked at, and there are some workarounds for people to just punch while somebody blocks as well. Some might say that if they find a workaround then they deserve to be able to hit them but it's not really that hard to do it.

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
Katas do a lot of damage already, and the only way for you to be stuck in a place from katas is if you get stuck in a corner. And of course all humanoid classes would be the only ones to have side rolls, it is ridiculous how you just lay there when you get knocked over and just eat a kata when you are melee fighting someone.

Sure if you are doing melee only without punches (which I don't get because you can mblock them with a tap of the reload/block button which gives you a mini-kata/counter knockdown to follow up from). But it should be competitive to do against the punch damage and also gun damages and not be only for melee vs melee. My problem with kata is it usage consists primarily for trolling or throwing someone off a ledge (in which case increased damage would fill this use case and actually make it worth considering using).

Essentially I am talking from a non 1v1 melee honour duelz no punches standpoint.

Sure if you are doing melee only without punches (which I don't get because you can mblock them with a tap of the reload/block button). But it should be competitive to do against the punch damage and also gun damages and not be only for melee vs melee. My problem with kata is it usage consists primarily for trolling or throwing someone off a ledge (in which case increased damage would fill this use case and actually make it worth considering using).

Essentially I am talking from a non 1v1 melee honour duelz no punches standpoint.
You do seem to have a point. And you just gave me an idea. What if katas did more damage when the enemy has their weapons out? That way if someone gets kata'd then they would be punished more rather than having their weapon taken away. Because people who use weapons and get kata'd by someone who outplayed them without using weapons should be punished much more than they do now.

Melee Mando

Internal Beta Team
Not too sure how I feel about 3-life soldiers getting fast getups, but they should get the mando/clone speed getups at least. Besides that all of this sounds good. Kinda curious as to what the issue is with not being able to do disarms, it sounds like it would just be done the same way as a force pull. If the problem is that there's no way to get the weapon into the inventory of the disarm-er instantly, maybe it could get tossed out, away from the fight, behind them, instead of directly into their inventory.

Last edited:
Not too sure how I feel about 3-life soldiers getting fast getups, but they should get the mando/clone speed getups at least. Besides that all of this sounds good. Kinda curious as to what the issue is with not being able to do disarms, it sounds like it would just be done the same way as a force pull. If the problem is that there's no way to get the weapon into the inventory of the disarm-er instantly, maybe it could get tossed out, away from the fight, behind them, instead of directly into their inventory.
Soldiers will only have them when they have melee out. Besides, the getups aren't quicker, they are just directional. You still only have to shoot them a few times for them to die, so only those with bad aim will have a problem with this.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Kinda curious as to what the issue is with not being able to do disarms, it sounds like it would just be done the same way as a force pull.

The problem is that depending on what class picks something up, it can morph into another weapon. You are only guaranteed to pick up the same weapon as someone else, if you're exactly the same class, or using a class with a common weapon like an e-11.

The problem is that depending on what class picks something up, it can morph into another weapon. You are only guaranteed to pick up the same weapon as someone else, if you're exactly the same class, or using a class with a common weapon like an e-11.
If you're playing any class that is not jedi, sith, or wookiee, you can pick up any weapon. The weapon will change to look different, but is that really a problem? Sometimes their stats change but that isn't really that big of an issue since the same happens when you pick up a weapon that gets dropped by someone who had it pulled from their hands.

Melee Mando

Internal Beta Team

Interesting, I don't think I've ever experienced that. I'm positive I've been able to pick up pulled Clone Rifles as a Mando, at least. I'll have to keep my eyes open for weapon morphing next time I yoink a dropped one.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Interesting, I don't think I've ever experienced that. I'm positive I've been able to pick up pulled Clone Rifles as a Mando, at least. I'll have to keep my eyes open for weapon morphing next time I yoink a dropped one.
a280, ee3 and i think dlt all change depending on class. any others dont come to mind right now