How much of the Saber system is being changed next update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am asking because I don't know if I want to spend hours upon hours learning the current saber-system if the new one is going to do away with what I've learned.

Honestly I am not looking for details here, I am just wondering if I should still spend time learning the current one or if I should wait for the new one and then practice like a madman.

If you can't answer, then that's fine too. At worst, I'll just have to wait.

It intuitively makes sense to many new players to look at the incoming swing with their camera in order to PB it. You just think too much of your own experience :/

Hence why it has to be explained to them:)
And I don't think much of anything when I'm playing. Pretty much the definition of a mindless killer. I just do what I want, how I want. People usually die.
It hurts my brain when they don't.:)

Why bother with leaks or teases. If its already set for a release, give us an in-depth write-up. It has happened before.

I know my preference would be a detailed transcript instead of, here, here's you're new toy now go play with it.
You don't mention if it needs batteries, how to turn it on, where's the instructions.

I don't mean guides. I'd like the tech. info.

Speed, Timing, Values, Drains, Etc. I'll figure out the best way to exploit it on my own.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
The counters are sexy, but they aren't like RC1. They're better :)

Explaining it doesn't do much good. Even a vid with commentary would suck.

Should throw the launcher out to re-install and make a weekend event. I only have crap from 2009 on this pc. I have rc something but don't know if its 1.
And last time I tried to turn on my old pc it said no and turned itself off.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Chaos, everything you write is enveloped in something akin to a viciously odorous fart.

Why is that?

in current patch yellow is destroyed completely.
hope in next will be better.

as many other players i always chose it not because he is "simple', but because i like it. that's all.
why should i pick red if i simply do not like how it plays.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team

as many other players i always chose it not because he is "simple', but because i like it. that's all.
why should i pick red if i simply do not like how it plays.

Yellow is not destroyed completely. It's probably the best style for beating Purple with. It's just hard to use!11oneone

Preston

Nerd
Yellow is not destroyed completely. It's probably the best style for beating Purple with. It's just hard to use!11oneone
Thats part of the problem tho. Yellow is significantly harder to be effective against basically any other style, than the other styles vs yellow.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
You don't need to discuss yellow further. It's already been looked at. As I implied before, I found it very boring that yellow had devolved into a very slow, act->react cycle way of playing where you combo and PB in long boring cycles with nothing much to react to, no cool timings to hit etc. I wanted to change that and Stassin agreed. Thus, I think you'll find the new yellow much more fun because of the fundamental changes made to the system to support this philosophy not just for yellow, but across the board. It makes sabering 'faster' in the sense that more things occur that you have to deal with, thus less stale. And it does this without devolving into spam, which is absolutely fantastic :)

Also, I don't think I'm revealing too much by mentioning the fact that yellow is receiving a sabering perk so that it can stand on equal footing with other styles. It makes no sense in the first place to not give it a perk, and yellow was a little weak without it compared to some of the other stances. This perk was also a suggestion of mine. It makes using yellow skillfully more rewarding. I wonder what it could be ^^

Edit: Mblock hasn't been touched afaik.

You don't need to discuss yellow further. It's already been looked at. As I implied before, I found it very boring that yellow had devolved into a very slow, act->react cycle way of playing where you combo and PB in long boring cycles with nothing much to react to, no cool timings to hit etc. I wanted to change that and Stassin agreed. Thus, I think you'll find the new yellow much more fun because of the fundamental changes made to the system to support this philosophy not just for yellow, but across the board. It makes sabering 'faster' in the sense that more things occur that you have to deal with, thus less stale. And it does this without devolving into spam, which is absolutely fantastic :)

Also, I don't think I'm revealing too much by mentioning the fact that yellow is receiving a sabering perk so that it can stand on equal footing with other styles. It makes no sense in the first place to not give it a perk, and yellow was a little weak without it compared to some of the other stances. This perk was also a suggestion of mine. It makes using yellow skillfully more rewarding. I wonder what it could be ^^
keeping my fingers crossed

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
It's not destroyed, though it underpowered compared to red. Still very useful.

tbh I miss old saber system, it was more simple and entertaining, but I understand nobody gonna bring it back after it was thrown away. I just don't really get all this pb stuff and new way of dueling.

Before (in 2008), mblock was interesting and intriguing, you always have a choice: try to use it and be rewarded by disarming of opponent/punished by bp loss, or use other options.
Same with swing block: play safe and always sblock, or take a risk and attack at full scale.
It was always fun to catch someone who almost defeated you but spamming recklessly, with a mblock, and you couldn't do it too often since opponents starts to swing block all the time.

The bad thing is that red was almost useless. I can only hope that in new build we will get a saber system where every style will be balanced.

Preston

Nerd
It's not destroyed, though it underpowered compared to red. Still very useful.

tbh I miss old saber system, it was more simple and entertaining, but I understand nobody gonna bring it back after it was thrown away. I just don't really get all this pb stuff and new way of dueling.

Before (in 2008), mblock was interesting and intriguing, you always have a choice: try to use it and be rewarded by disarming of opponent/punished by bp loss, or use other options.
Same with swing block: play safe and always sblock, or take a risk and attack at full scale.
It was always fun to catch someone who almost defeated you but spamming recklessly, with a mblock, and you couldn't do it too often since opponents starts to swing block all the time.

The bad thing is that red was almost useless. I can only hope that in new build we will get a saber system where every style will be balanced.
We can hope and pray, but if ya need any pblocking help or whatever just pm me or something

It's gimped to fight multiple jedi simultaneously anymore with the new pb system/spam reward.

I hope that gets looked at but I'm guessing this is only duel changes that don't take into account much open play.:(

Before a skilled user had 3 options against multiple opponents, 2 or more:

1. Isolate them and take them out one by one.
2. Make them trip over each other and take advantage of their mistakes(side, back, tks).
3. Out bp them by a combination of spacing(footwork) and timed blocking.

But now...I griped before about run drains because of this...pretty much rewards spamming swings and numbers:) - the joy of throwing myself against multiple noobs has shriveled even further. You're shriveling me!
Proof when it all started to go downhill:)

April 29, 2010!!

pMKiDGh.jpg

I said it then and I'll say it still.
Run Drains and Ap blow!

Not as much as before but thats because you hardly need ap anymore anyhoot.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
It's gimped to fight multiple jedi simultaneously anymore with the new pb system/spam reward.

I hope that gets looked at but I'm guessing this is only duel changes that don't take into account much open play.:(

Before a skilled user had 3 options against multiple opponents, 2 or more:

1. Isolate them and take them out one by one.
2. Make them trip over each other and take advantage of their mistakes(side, back, tks).
3. Out bp them by a combination of spacing(footwork) and timed blocking.

You can still do this if you're reasonably skilled with red/staff/blue, to be honest. I do it all the time (as do a few others) on the duel server for fun, or in open. It's all about keeping distance, using disarms, knowing when to 3-hit red combo unsuspecting people, using LOTS of crouching backstabs (naturally the other opponent won't be able to go for your back while you are using it on the floored second opponent, etc). Would be happy to video it.

Naturally against someone the same skill level/slightly lower it is impossible, but that's how it should be. Most open Jedi should be a breeze to take on 2v1 as a duelist.

It's the same as it was in any system, tbh. More reliant on situational awareness/capitalising on opportune moments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.