[Guide] Port Forwarding

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
Before port forwarding, check out LoU's guide on hosting a server for Windows, and make sure you are set and ready.

Now, if your server is setup properly we'll begin. First you need to know your internal IP address, and your default gateway. Open the tab below for instructions on finding those, or skip ahead if you already know this information.

To find your information, open command prompt (Win+R "cmd") and type "ipconfig" without the quotes and press enter. Below is what it should look like. The numbers very from computer to computer.
HDVxRXh.png

The number sequence underlined in red is your internal IP Address, the one underlined in blue, is your Default Gateway.

Next we need to access your router's interface. If you need to how to do this, follow the instructions below.

Unfortunately, things differ for everyone's router, so you may have to do a bit of research, but here are the instructions for accessing my router, and many others.

First, enter your default gateway into the address bar of your browser. It should take you to something that looks like this:
BtWTN5Z.png

Once here, you need to log in. If, you haven't changed the login credentials, the defaults are usually physically on the router, or something along the lines of Username: admin and Password: admin . If this isn't yours, you can look up the model of your router, and find the default login credentials.

Once logged in, we need to find the section for "Port Range Forwarding". This is usually found under some sort of "Security" tab. When you find it, yours should be blank. Mine looks like this:
IoIrQ59.png

Make sure all your settings match the ones highlighted. The name does not matter, make it whatever you would like, However, the Device IP MUST match that of the device hosting the server. The only number difference between the Default Gateway, and the Device IP is the last set of numbers, so make sure the Device IP you enter, matches your internal IP Address.

Edit: Please note that both the start and end ports should be identical and read "29070". 29060 is not necessary.

After all of this is completed, you are good to go. Your server, if setup correctly should appear on the server list for everyone to join!

Optional:
To prevent having to update your port settings in the case of an IP change, we should make sure your IP is set to be static and not dynamic.
First we need to find the list of all the devices connected to your router. My router has a network map that shows all of the devices connected. Locate the server host device. My computer's name is "Big-Daddy".
zHPkxj8.png

You want to select this and click something along the lines of: "Device Settings, DHCP Settings" or in my case "Edit DHCP Reservation"
xnRMFn9.png

Move your device to the Reserved list, and make sure the assigned IP address matches the Device IP you listed in your port range forwarding area. Now you're done!

Disclaimer: If I forgot anything, let me know and I'll update the post.

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
remember every router has a different interface.
NetGear's default login is admin;password

So the start port has to be 29060 or are both ports 29070? These port numbers doesn't seem consistent with all the threads on hosting a server.
The port number on server.bat is 29070

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
master server is master.moviebattles.com
i think theres some sort of dedicated server line you have to add to your jampded.exe. do some more research

Lervish

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Also just a note: your own servers will only appear to you in the Local section if you're checking it out from the same connection. It's more trustworthy to ask somebody else whether they can see it in the Internet list.

Sorry, the problem was not with the port forwarding but with the jampDed.exe not correctly being placed in GameData, where it was previously in the MBII folder.
Also just a note: your own servers will only appear to you in the Local section if you're checking it out from the same connection. It's more trustworthy to ask somebody else whether they can see it in the Internet list.
The server appears on the server list for both LAN and Internet but sadly I can join the server but none of my friends can see the server on the Internet server list or can connect through the IP. My ports are correct and I gave my friends my public IP address to connect to and when they connect using the console they are frozen at the Awaiting Connection screen forever. I can see in the cmd when I connected and disconnected but nothing of my friend's attempts.
I have set no max ping either. :(

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I can join the server but none of my friends can see the server on the Internet server list or can connect through the IP.
You're doing something wrong, then.
Post screenshot or log of server console window.
Post screenshot of a PF settings in router.

Start => Run => type:
Code:
cmd
=> OK => type:
Code:
ipconfig
Post screenshot or log of results here.

Lervish

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Back when I was having similar trouble (cos of a shitty router I believe), a small program called MiniUPnP saved me. It's a tool for port forwarding you put in the system32 folder and then run from the command line. In case your router is supported and you wanna try it, here's how:

1) Grab it from here. Extract only upnpc-static.exe, I think that's all you need.
2) Put it in your C:/Windows/System32/ (or anywhere, this just lets you run it quickly from the command line)
3) Start -> Run -> "cmd"
4) Type "upnpc-static -r 29070 udp" and press enter.

This was the only way I used to be able to forward ports in a way that actually worked. :)

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
So the start port has to be 29060 or are both ports 29070? These port numbers doesn't seem consistent with all the threads on hosting a server.
The port number on server.bat is 29070
Yes, I want to point out this guide is a bit misleading.

29060 isn't required to be forwarded in general; It's used by master server, but I really doubt that people are interested in hosting master servers.
And this thread isn't about hosting master server, it's about hosting MBII game server.

Default port for Movie Battles 29070, and it should be forwarded unless it's changed in .bat file.
But client automatically opens (binds) 29070 on start up (if it wasn't changed in config).
If server is unable to bind a port because it's already in use by other application (game client, another server instance, etc), it's trying opening (binding) port 20971, which isn't forwarded if acting according to this guide.
If 20971 isn't available as well, server keeps increasing port number until success.
So basically, it's just:
Code:
u_short p = 29070;
while (!OpenPort(p)) p++;
Notice: "isn't forwarded" != "isn't available".
If a port is used by other program, all requests for binding/opening will fail.
If a port is not forwarded, it will be binded successfully anyway (but no data from external network will reach that port, router won't allow it).

The bottom line is,
I suggest to forward 29070 - 29080 range.

e399161b7a6f.png

Back when I was having similar trouble (cos of a shitty router I believe), a small program called MiniUPnP saved me.
I believe it requires Windows UPnP services to be enabled.
I disabled UPnP like a decade ago, since it was screwing my tray icons: How To: Fix Missing System Tray Icons at Windows XP startup

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
If your server appears on Jacklul's server list, you shouldn't need to check with anyone else.

You're doing something wrong, then.
Post screenshot or log of server console window.
Post screenshot of a PF settings in router.
Sorry for the delay. For this screenshot I joined the server and never disconnected, just got kicked back to spectator after being idle.
Like I mentioned it also shows up in my LAN source but never on Jacklul's server list.

Attachments

• completenoob.png
    completenoob.png
    666.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    108.2 KB · Views: 349
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    8 KB · Views: 326

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
Sorry for the delay. For this screenshot I joined the server and never disconnected, just got kicked back to spectator after being idle.
Like I mentioned it also shows up in my LAN source but never on Jacklul's server list.
Make a post in the support category here: Support

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
What am I doing wrong here??
Are you sure that IP of a computer where MBII server is running is 192.168.1.151?

Are you sure that firewall of a router is OFF ("Configuration" tab of your screenshot)? Remember, ICMP protocol must be allowed as well, so any "firewall protection" have to be disabled.

Are you sure that software firewalls, including third-party (Comodo, Kaspersky, NOD32 etc), and Windows built-in firewall are either off or configured properly?

Are you sure that MBII server is actually using 29070 port, not 29071? Scroll in console windows to see what port is actually used. More info (my post just above in this thread): [Guide] Port Forwarding

Are you able to see your server here: Movie Battles II Server List ?

Are you sure that IP of a computer where MBII server is running is 192.168.1.151?

Are you sure that firewall of a router is OFF ("Configuration" tab of your screenshot)? Remember, ICMP protocol must be allowed as well, so any "firewall protection" have to be disabled.

Are you sure that software firewalls, including third-party (Comodo, Kaspersky, NOD32 etc), and Windows built-in firewall are either off or configured properly?

Are you sure MBII server is actually using 29070 port, not 29071? Scroll in console windows to see what port is actually used. More info (my post just above in this thread): [Guide] Port Forwarding

Im not too sure whether its running on the port 29071. How do I change this? as for the firewalls, all are off including the actual bt one, and I can see the server on the server list.

Cheers for the quick reply

Last edited:
upload_2018-2-11_22-19-25.png

Are you sure that MBII server is actually using 29070 port, not 29071? Scroll in console windows to see what port is actually used. More info (my post just above in this thread): [Guide] Port Forwarding