[Guide] Mac Installation

isair

Donator
Hey, everyone! First-time poster, long-time player here. Thought I should share here the steps I used to get MB2 working on my Mac.

1. Install Jedi Academy. The rest of this guide assumes you've installed it via Steam to simplify the rest of the process.

2. Download the latest MB2 launcher for Mac. This is a .NET exe file and needs to be run using Mono. You need to place this launcher under /Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/SWJKJA.app/Contents/ (you can browse the contents of an .app by right clicking on it and selecting Show Package Contents).

3. Download and run Mono Universal Installer for version 3.12.1 from here.

4. Download my launcher script under this page and place it on your Desktop.

5. Open your Terminal application under Applications > Utilities. Typing Terminal in spotlight will work as well.

6. Type in chmod +x ~/Desktop/launch-mbii.sh and press enter to make the script executable.

7. Right click on launch-mbii.sh on your Desktop and select Get Info. Under Open with: press the Change All button and use the Terminal app under Applications > Utilities.

Double clicking launch-mbii.sh should launch the MBII launcher if everything went correctly. You can carry this anywhere. Enjoy!

Last edited:

redsaurus

Movie Battles II Team Retired
JKJALaunch lets you add "+set fs_game MBII" to the launch options so you don't have to move base assets or use the setup menu.

isair

Donator
Changed the instructions a lot. The steps now show how to download and run the MBII official launcher, and as a bonus; how to create a script file you can double click to launch the MBII launcher via Mono so you don't have to open Terminal every time you want to play MBII.

Open your Terminal application.
This is where you lost me, isair. I'm not a developer and have no idea how to use "mono." Just trying to install MB2 on my Mac using the app store download of JKA. I was successful with the previous version up to the point I had to choose a server and there was none. Regardless, I used JKJALaunch the last time. Should I just do it the old way (not that I'm positive what that was).

isair

Donator
This is where you lost me, isair. I'm not a developer and have no idea how to use "mono." Just trying to install MB2 on my Mac using the app store download of JKA. I was successful with the previous version up to the point I had to choose a server and there was none. Regardless, I used JKJALaunch the last time. Should I just do it the old way (not that I'm positive what that was).
If you follow the steps through you'll get a file that you can double click to launch the MBII launcher via mono without typing or opening anything else.

Edit: I got the feeling that you just stopped following after that step. If any step needs further clarification, let me know. The Terminal application is in Applications > Utilities.

If you follow the steps through you'll get a file that you can double click to launch the MBII launcher via mono without typing or opening anything else.

Edit: I got the feeling that you just stopped following after that step. If any step needs further clarification, let me know. The Terminal application is in Applications > Utilities.
9. Type in "chmod +x ~/mb2.sh" and press enter to make our script executable.
I did stop because I didn't know about "Terminal." I found it. Thank you. But after entering the commands you gave, I get to step 9 and receive an error message.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 1.58.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 1.58.09 PM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 520
I did stop because I didn't know about "Terminal." I found it. Thank you. But after entering the commands you gave, I get to step 9 and receive an error message.
Here's my JA Contents file for inspection-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 2.02.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 2.02.41 PM.png
    73.3 KB · Views: 529

isair

Donator

Happy to help. As for the error you got, it's because you have quotes around what you entered. Removing the quotes should solve your problem.

Quoting it makes Terminal think it's a single thing as a whole, and when you enter just one word in a shell (Terminal), it tries to find a file by the name you entered. So when you quoted what you entered it tried to find a file with that name and couldn't.

I'm going to improve this guide a bit, the steps you got stuck at made me realize some parts are not entirely clear.

It was clear. I'm just a newb. It clearly stated "without quotes" and I was so excited to get this working that I skimmed instead of scanned. Anywho, thanks for the help. It's downloading now. I'm really excited. Please don't slay me when I join :)

It was clear. I'm just a newb. It clearly stated "without quotes" and I was so excited to get this working that I skimmed instead of scanned. Anywho, thanks for the help. It's downloading now. I'm really excited. Please don't slay me when I join :)
SO CLOSE... MB2 Launcher started and I clicked install. After a few hours, it was done...then the moment of truth: I clicked "PLAY" and got this from my mac-
Process: mbii.x86 [1383]
Path: /Applications/SWJKJA.app/Contents/mbii.x86.app/Contents/MacOS/mbii.x86
Identifier: mbii.x86
Version: ???
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: mono-sgen32 [1357]
Responsible: Terminal [1067]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2016-06-05 17:37:57.178 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)
Report Version: 11
Anonymous UUID: 46865889-CB4A-1B80-23C8-87105C85A73E

Sleep/Wake UUID: 5A7DB704-A412-4182-8A51-9FC93C75CCC1

Time Awake Since Boot: 22000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 160 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL2.framework/Versions/A/SDL2
Referenced from: /Applications/SWJKJA.app/Contents/mbii.x86.app/Contents/MacOS/mbii.x86
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe05000 - 0x8fe39727 dyld (360.22) <F2FF555F-3F89-3F21-8761-25A0E3F8282F> /usr/lib/dyld
0x90ab5000 - 0x90ac3ff3 com.apple.opengl (12.1.0 - 12.1.0) <47893C04-DCA1-3512-BA5A-2AE812E2E6DE> /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL
0x96f37000 - 0x96f45ff7 libz.1.dylib (61.20.1) <34A8BA7F-AA56-322E-AC39-ADF8DDE53FF1> /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib
0x9a468000 - 0x9a46ffff com.apple.agl (3.3.1 - AGL-3.3.1) <61B57FE4-3A25-3BEF-A9AF-7D93A1AB052E> /System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Versions/A/AGL

Model: MacBookPro5,1, BootROM MBP51.007E.B06, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, SMC 1.33f8
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, PCI, 256 MB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT, PCIe, 512 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 4 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x0D9B, -
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM1, 4 GB, DDR3, 1067 MHz, 0x0D9B, -
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.98.100.24)
Bluetooth: Version 4.4.5f3 17904, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
Serial ATA Device: Crucial_CT500MX200SSD1, 500.11 GB
Serial ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-868
USB Device: USB Bus
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
USB Device: IR Receiver
USB Device: USB Bus
USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
USB Device: USB 2.0 Bus
USB Device: USB 2.0 Bus
USB Device: Built-in iSight
Thunderbolt Bus:

Here's what the error window looked like that contained the former message-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 5.42.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 5.42.07 PM.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 567

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
MB2 Launcher started and I clicked install. After a few hours, it was done...then the moment of truth: I clicked "PLAY" and got this from my mac
That's the problem.
You shouldn't use MBII Launcher to launch MB2 on mac, it can be used only to download Movie Battles.
Use JKJALaunch with "+set fs_game MBII" command line parameter.

@isair, AFAIK MBII Launcher cannot start mb2 on mac. You should edit your guide to not confuse people, since native mac launcher should be used instead.
There are several ways to run MBII on a Mac :
On earlier patches (1.01c/d), you can hold shift while running Jedi Academy MP and type in “+set fs_game MBII”
Alternately for the newer patch (1.01e) and steam version, Redsaurus has provided us with an application for Mac that launches straight to MBII, JKJALauncher.app (you can download that here or here). You will need to launch it the first time holding the shift key to configure it by adding "+set fs_game MBII" in its setup.
Installation & Troubleshooting Guide

Cow

Donator
Mayn all this trouble, easiest mac installation ever:
1. Download full MBII from MovieBattlesII_FULL_V1.4.zip
2. Extract into ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy/ (right click on finder and press go to folder and copy paste what I wrote)
3. Get http://redsaurus.net/JKJALaunch/15/JKJALaunch.zip to run MB2 with "+set fs_game MBII" in options (Redsaurus you r the man breh)

If you cant run the damn game with the launcher why go through aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall this trouble just to download the game that you can download as a ZIP.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Mayn all this trouble, easiest mac installation ever:
1. Download full MBII from MovieBattlesII_FULL_V1.4.zip
2. Extract into ~/Library/Application Support/Jedi Academy/ (right click on finder and press go to folder and copy paste what I wrote)
3. Get http://redsaurus.net/JKJALaunch/15/JKJALaunch.zip to run MB2 with "+set fs_game MBII" in options (Redsaurus you r the man breh)

If you cant run the damn game with the launcher why go through aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall this trouble just to download the game that you can download as a ZIP.
I believe he already has downloaded Movie Battles using MBII Launcher, so there is no need to download zip package.
The only thing that's left to do is launching game via JKJALaunch.

Reactions: Cow

Cow

Donator
I believe he already has downloaded Movie Battles using MBII Launcher, so there is no need to download zip package.
The only thing that's left to do is launching game via JKJALaunch.

I was just pointing out that there is a more simple and less technical way to get MB2 working instead of the original 10 step tutorial that was posted.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I was just pointing out that there is a more simple and less technical way to get MB2 working instead of the original 10 step tutorial that was posted.
And I was just pointing out that @SnappiPappi don't have to redownload anything in his case, keeping in mind that he called himself a "just a newb" :)

The way you described is a pretty good way to get MB2, indeed, though it's a personal thing, what's is more simple and less technical and what is not.
But this manual could be really a bit more simply, yes, especially since MBII Launcher is not able actually launch the mod on mac.

I could only mention that using MBII Launcher for downloading is very handy/practical when you have bad Internet, or when you want to make sure that your installation isn't broken.

isair

Donator
Oh the guide was with JKJALaunch as was mentioned before. I turned it into this after I got the official MBII launcher working. My main computer is a MacBook Pro and it's working flawlessly for me.

@SnappiPappi could you try repairing installation from settings inside the launcher? Also, are you on El Capitan? In case it's not working, going with JKJALaunch after installing the latest version of MBII via the official launcher like @Puppytine said is a sound advice.