Gameplay Direction Post 1.4.4 [Sabering]

Discussion in 'Developer Diaries' started by Tempest, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Tempest

Tempest coding in Wonderland Movie Battles II Team

This means the world to me. I don't want to see more people leaving because they find the game to be getting less fun and am doing my best to ensure that will be the case moving forward.
    I didn't copypaste the part about modifying the indicators from the dev thread with all this stuff but there will be an option to disable the extra indicators (3 options: Off, Normal (current indicators with just body hits, perfect block, and perfect parry), and Extended (current indicators along with the ones mentioned above).
    This is something I can start working on. I also plan to remove complete invulnerability from katas/dfas in some form but it's a bit low on the to-do list so I haven't gotten to messing with that yet.

Bit of an update:
    Almost have Open Beta stuff ready (been doing tests to see if we could set it up without having to have new files downloaded and I came so close to having it work). Just need to do a few more experiments with that and finish setting up the last remaining (possible) features/mechanics (half and half as far as them needing number tweaks or to actually start functioning properly ._.) before I'm content with the state of things.

TadekRaeod, Hexodious, Garth and 2 others like this.
  2. Lessen

Lessen Childpuncher Movie Battles II Team

First off, this looks really cool, and I'm really glad there's going to be indicators about how you GOT hit, and the other indicators. Will make it much easier to learn saber, even if the system itself gets more complicated. I'm glad someone cares this much about improving the saber system.

But also: My god, have styles always had different AP and BP values? I always knew Blue had a "strong defense" but I didn't know what it meant. If that's the case, why doesn't the BP bar display the number?

And actually, wait, is AP another word for ACM/ACC? Or is it something else?

Those are sincere questions but I'm mostly just begging for some complete documentation to come with the next saber overhaul. And I mean documentation of every aspect from the ground up, not just a changelog. Heck, if you gave me the facts and figures I'm willing to take a shot at writing/formatting the documentation myself (onto the Wiki). I don't have anything better to do this month.

3. Tempest

AP (attacking potential) and BP (blocking potential) relate to offensive and defensive values. They're basically the very first value that comes into play when you get into the damage formulas. I can include the math for that a bit down the road once everything is actually ready to be documented.

Lessen likes this.
  4. vasya

vasya

#bring_back_old_A-halfswing

Kayla*, Preston and AaronAaron like this.
  5. Tempest

Details about Open Beta real soon!

Sammy, SeV, Lessen and 1 other person like this.
  6. SeV

SeV Internal Beta Team

Let's fucking go! :)

Woo!

7. Tempest

Just working out a few kinks. Successfully got open beta to work without downloading any new files (such witchcraft). However, Mblock isn't entirely working so still trying to figure that out. Aside from that, we're golden!

8. Lessen

Lessen Childpuncher Movie Battles II Team

kinky

9. Tempest

Mblock fixed but @Viserys and @Hexodious don't want to start the Open Beta stuff until indicators are working. The code for them is working but there's weird technical issues that cause bugs when the events related to them are in (even without the actual code to make the indicators show up being in). Gameplay is all fully functioning though so I'm wanting to get it rolling, please halp.

Kayla* likes this.
  10. Fang

Fang Donator

thank god, no more dueling updates for a few milleniums until someone cries the next day anyway.

CANNOT WAIT
    for some sick gunner changes and additions

Preston likes this.
  11. Tempest

Going to be setting up some sessions for playing with what's currently done. Messages will be on the MB2 Discord regarding when/how to get in on the action.

Antraxo likes this.
  12. Kayla*

Kayla*

Just wanted to say to keep up the good work, really glad you decided against nudge in the open beta & i'm really liking the changes so far! This really motivates me to start dueling again, can't wait!

Preston and Tempest like this.
  13. Antraxo

Antraxo Donator

I better wait with my "Art of Duelling" videos then :)
    Gonna teach all them younglings how it works :p
    Can't wait !
    [​IMG]

14. {Δ} Achilles

{Δ} Achilles Nerd

[​IMG]

Bitch please, how is Han going to teach anyone how to use a lightsaber.​

Chaos the Chaotic likes this.
  15. SeV

SeV Internal Beta Team

*Fires blob at Achilles*

gg. Now to slack to write fourty pages of why clones need to be reworked, and why cyan needs to be buffed!
    Oh and nerf yellow.

*Wink wink*

16. {Δ} Achilles

{Δ} Achilles Nerd

But... yellow is underpowered...

Also, I just pushed your blob on reaction, whilst jumping backwards, whilst saber fighting Sekundus, whilst singing 'Old Man River'. Tempest taught me that.

17. Antraxo

Antraxo Donator

Han will do just fine ...

[​IMG]

18. vasya

vasya

against tonton.
    dead tonton.

Antraxo likes this.
  19. GoodOl'Ben

GoodOl'Ben Nerd Donator Moderator Movie Battles II Team

I like the fact that you're bringing in visible cues such as staggers. I find that the more the dueling system relies on character animations to explain the effects of your actions, the better it will be.

I am personally not a big fan of having so many different kinds of indicators in your crosshair at all times, but I do understand their necessity when there are no other more clear-cut ways of explaining the situation present.

Here's a prototype of something we had in betatesting a long time ago.

Basically the idea was for every bodyhit to trigger a stagger. It made the duel a lot easier to read without the need for crosshair indicators. The great part was that the fights became simple to follow. If someone was doing poorly on defense, they would be seen staggering a lot. A good counter-attack that lands before the enemy's hit lands would also trigger a stagger allowing the defender to take on the offensive role.

When the player can visibly understand their situation without having to consult too many any UI elements and their variations, the system is in an ideal place.

This is what I find to be lacking the most in the saber system today. I would love for the system to be in a place where a masterful player can kill the novice in 2-3 slashes and win fights against multiple enemies alone. That's what drew me to sabering back when I started playing. Watching some of the old pros take out 5 players alone. That was the beauty of the class. This was largely killed post-B17 though and even in B17 the fights lasted ages despite the skill gap between players being massive.

Increasing BP damage across the board while increasing BP regen across the board could be an interesting avenue to look into. This would make fights less of a slow burn even when your opponent is incapable of standing up for themselves.

Essentially this is what I would love to see happen when some scrubs attempt to gank a pro.

Just a few wild thoughts and I hope you find some ideas from my ramblings :D

20. Garth

Garth

I can only agree with you Old Ben, a pro being able to win a 2v1 or even a 3v1 should be possible with a rework. And even more if he uses staff for instance.

It make me think of Mount and blade : warband, where a pro can easily beat a group of player if he moves correctly and make them either hit each other or bodyblock each other...

Please bring balance to the force !