Gameplay Direction Post 1.4.4 [Sabering]

Discussion in 'Developer Diaries' started by Tempest, Dec 12, 2016.

1. SeV

SeV EU Official Server Admin Internal Beta Team

stagger build. Never again! Ugh :)

Well, in 1.4.4 you just have to not attack, and try Mblocking with yellow. With any luck your opponents drain their own BP while attacking and you can finish them off with PB counters/Mblocks. Fairly easy if you move correctly to keep them tied up with eachother. I can do 2v1 or 3v1 just fine most of the time and it was like that in most builds, though some were better for it than others. (red with stagger for example, was a huge help sometimes)

2. GoodOl'Ben

GoodOl'Ben Nerd Donator Moderator Movie Battles II Team

I do believe you were not in the beta when this was tested though.

3. DaloLorn

DaloLorn Movie Battles II Team Retired

Yellow with PB ACM reduction was more effective, I think. Back in 1.4.2, I could survive most 2v1 or 3v1 encounters unless they gripped or managed to flank me - and to top it off, I often found myself deflecting their gunners' fire into the saberist(s) on top of keeping my BP stable.

4. SeV

Yeah not that, but we had a stupid stagger build some time ago in public, where if you got under half BP you would stagger on bodyhits. It was very bad.

Yeah that was a help too, but red stagger was good for stalling when u got into a bad position, so it played more of a role. You didn't really go for a proper fight. Rather, you kept them at pay and tried to land Mblocks to finish one or two off so u could take the rest down. Goddamn it why did u have to change 1.4.2. Kurva. I miss the PB perk x.x

Preston likes this.
  5. DaloLorn

DaloLorn Movie Battles II Team Retired

Yeah, I preferred to either keep them at bay until my team won, or (depending on the composition of the enemy group) either single out one guy for my counteroffensive to whittle down their numbers or hurry to wipe out all the gunners/saberists so I can wipe out the rest of them without being deterred by their synergies.

6. GoodOl'Ben

GoodOl'Ben Nerd Donator Moderator Movie Battles II Team

Yes, that was bad. I believe the stagger duration was also increased for some stupid reason. The idea was for it to be a ministagger that does nothing more than create a small timing where you're either able to regain momentum or disrupt the enemy. Largely what Tempest seems to be experimenting with now.

7. SeV

On that note, any ETA on the open beta Tempest? :)

8. Chaos the Chaotic

Chaos the Chaotic Nerd

Smack her on the ass. That'll speed things up.

Or make things really, really awkward.

Think of it this way. You both benefit. It's the logic of callouses. Her buttcheeks, your facecheeks.
    Win/Win!

Thank Chaos.

p.s.

I resisted the follow up. About taking a pounding and slapping.
    I'm good person.

handzummest likes this.
  9. {Δ} Achilles

{Δ} Achilles Nerd

[​IMG]

Anakin, Garth and swagmaster like this.
  10. Tempest

Tempest coding in Wonderland Movie Battles II Team

Making it so that players can understand what's going on without having to have a ton of details explained to them by someone who's already been playing for years is the direction I want to go in.

This is why I was going to have an option to keep the indicators as they are currently but allow for the extras if desired (of course that's assuming we can figure out the issue with what's making them break ._.).

While staggers can be a good element of dueling, I (along with a lot of others) severely disliked the constant staggering of whatever build it was that had that implemented. They were happening too often and were basically another variant of obnoxiousness that we had escaped from after moving away from the RC1 nudging.

This is actually what I'm trying to get back to. The time it takes for one player to beat another should be representative of the difference in experience/skill. Thus, a highly skilled player should be able to quickly dispatch with a new player (assuming proper play). If they're better than multiple players by a large margin, they should be able to beat them quickly as well. The first is already basically happening with what I've got done but I'm working on fine tuning some other small mechanics/pieces to help with the latter.

I did some small tests with a handful of people and it seems that the consensus is to get the animations in line to get a true feel for the gameplay (they all liked the gameplay and vastly preferred it to what's on live but the animations being wonky took away from it). So that's what I'm working on at the moment.

11. Tempest

Animations for all styles properly in. Speeds adjusted as well. Just figuring out some hosting/organization details and then both EU and NA sessions will be able to be up. More details on MB2's official discord.

12. Tempest

I should probably stop posting about status updates before I have gotten full details from everyone involved with the process for getting Open Beta set up >_>. Makes me feel bad when circumstances change and people have to wait more (for which I apologize). I'm as eager for everyone to be able to play as everyone is to be able to try new things out! @Spaghetti has been working hard on getting the servers ready and file distribution prepped. Think we're truly this close to be ready to roll out (in the meantime of which I have been working on even more fun stuff so there'll be less downtime between the first batch of things to play around with and the next).

Outcast, GoodOl'Ben and SeV like this.
  13. SeV

Yeeeah. Makes me go CYKA BLYAT everi tiem.

Soon

14. Quinto

Quinto

• *1.1 flashbacks*

Kayla* likes this.