Fix Yaws

All in all the only way to lessen the effects of such a thing would be to increase wind-up times, which would make halfswings and interrupting even more powerful than they already are. Yawing with half-swings would also not be effected due to the lack of windup..
That or decrease damage/ACM buildup/prevent ACM multiplier from applying during the very early section of a swing, justify it as since the sith/jedi hasn't put their full momentum in the swing yet, it deals less damage because of it etc etc. one of those would be a more viable change as it still nets you fast damage and possibly an interrupt, just doesn't mean you get instant swings that are a nightmare to PB AND the full damage behind it.

(mayhaps make it do .5x damage like a consecutive or .75x, seeing as its faster than a consecutive, this would also do something to the playstyle where you tank a combo then do 1 quick yaw swing to deal close the the same damage as they did and ensure you have more ACM than them)

throwing out ideas

Last edited:

Eazy E

Banned
That or decrease damage/ACM buildup/prevent ACM multiplier from applying during the very early section of a swing, justify it as since the sith/jedi hasn't put their full momentum in the swing yet, it deals less damage because of it etc etc. one of those would be a more viable change as it still nets you fast damage and possibly an interrupt, just doesn't mean you get instant swings that are a nightmare to PB AND the full damage behind it.
I know this is gonna sound mean but...

Sounds like a skill issue.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
I don't see this being possible. "Yawing" technically has nothing to do with how fast you can slide your mouse left and right. It's just about positioning yourself so that your swing connects as fast as it possibly can with the opponent. E.g. if you stand facing 90 degrees clockwise and do a D swing on your opponent it'll connect faster than if you were facing them directly, Eventhough you didn't have to slide your mouse once the attack started.

There's some pretty interesting combinations between direction and yawing that can be exploited. E.g. loading up a half-swing and then turning 180 degrees (facing away from your opponent) and doing a yellow W/S swing. It connects near instantly (unless you miss, which can happen if you're too far away). However, these can be predicted with enough skill and practice.

All in all the only way to lessen the effects of such a thing would be to increase wind-up times, which would make halfswings and interrupting even more powerful than they already are. Yawing with half-swings would also not be effected due to the lack of windup.
Yawing is about mouse movement, positioning is a different thing. The solution is to encourage other playstyles where you dont need to rely on fast yaws. This would happen by making other saber styles viable and balanced, adding perks as well. ALSO FIXED COUNTERING/PARRIES

Hessu

Internal Beta Team

(mayhaps make it do .5x damage like a consecutive or .75x, seeing as its faster than a consecutive, this would also do something to the playstyle where you tank a combo then do 1 quick yaw swing to deal close the the same damage as they did and ensure you have more ACM than them)

throwing out ideas
Decreasing acm buildup even more would be terrible, its already pretty non existent as it is, which sucks ass.

Yawing is about mouse movement, positioning is a different thing. The solution is to encourage other playstyles where you dont need to rely on fast yaws. This would happen by making other saber styles viable and balanced, adding perks as well. ALSO FIXED COUNTERING/PARRIES
so are counters and parries just obscure in their workings or are they really bugged/not working as intended? It seems pretty difficult to figure out which counter swings are the most effective.

which saber styles do you say are most useless at the moment? cyan, purple, and red could do with some adjustments to their attack and defense values in my opinion so that they aren't completely overshadowed by blue, staff, and duals which just rape the former 3 styles in both cool factor and actual effectiveness in game.

I'm not sure adding perks is the solution, though, as I think adding different mechanics and changing the numbers is a better way to go.

Perhaps adding the blue backstab to cyan style, giving purple 5 more defense, giving red 5 more attack could be a cool starting point on testing whether these changes would be effective in the place of adding perks to styles, which obviously would be more hard to figure out information instead of saber-moves like the backstab which we can see.

Karus

Donator
Very few of you understand what you're even discussing so I'm not even going to bother.
But I will say, some of you are essentially begging for a saber system that doesn't require reflexes or quick reactions in order play.
Basically, you're slow, and you want the game to be slowed down for you.
Guess what, piss off.
Duel is dead enough as it is!
The main issue with the current patch has been pointed out many times by good players, but nobody listens, thanks to dumb posts like this which detracts from legitimate feedback.
No offense to anyone, but those are my thoughts.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Very few of you understand what you're even discussing so I'm not even going to bother.
But I will say, some of you are essentially begging for a saber system that doesn't require reflexes or quick reactions in order play.
Basically, you're slow, and you want the game to be slowed down for you.
Guess what, piss off.
Duel is dead enough as it is!
The main issue with the current patch has been pointed out many times by good players, but nobody listens, thanks to dumb posts like this which detracts from legitimate feedback.
No offense to anyone, but those are my thoughts.
All im saying is that having other options than just use the meta yourself would be great. Especially at top tier duels, some playstyles are inferior to meta playstyles and there is barely any other option than to use same meta tactics yourself. The problem is not in yawing, its in the system that encourages players to play in a specific way

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
so are counters and parries just obscure in their workings or are they really bugged/not working as intended? It seems pretty difficult to figure out which counter swings are the most effective.

which saber styles do you say are most useless at the moment? cyan, purple, and red could do with some adjustments to their attack and defense values in my opinion so that they aren't completely overshadowed by blue, staff, and duals which just rape the former 3 styles in both cool factor and actual effectiveness in game.

I'm not sure adding perks is the solution, though, as I think adding different mechanics and changing the numbers is a better way to go.

Perhaps adding the blue backstab to cyan style, giving purple 5 more defense, giving red 5 more attack could be a cool starting point on testing whether these changes would be effective in the place of adding perks to styles, which obviously would be more hard to figure out information instead of saber-moves like the backstab which we can see.
Not working as intended. Cyan and purple are the weakest, blue, staff and duals are the strongest by far. Red is okay-ish, it suffers a lot from combo restrictions (can't freely combo like with yellow) and its start up swing is too slow. Having perks would be great, as long as they are balanced, they add so much to the styles and actually make them individuals, right now all of them feel very similar. Adjustments to defense and attack values is definitely needed as well.

Karus

Donator
All im saying is that having other options than just use the meta yourself would be great. Especially at top tier duels, some playstyles are inferior to meta playstyles and there is barely any other option than to use same meta tactics yourself. The problem is not in yawing, its in the system that encourages players to play in a specific way
What is the meta, though?
And is it a choice that some players make to not play this way deliberately?
Or are they just incapable of playing in that way successfully?
I challenge anyone to go ahead and beat everybody with a "meta playstyle".
Even then, calling top tier play "meta" kind of detracts from the level of skill required to compete at that level.
There is nothing "meta" about being able to PB a bunch of swings through reflex and successful prediction, for example.
The "meta" A.K.A MOST EFFECIENT TACTIC AVAILABLE, would actually be running away from attacks instead of trying to PB them.
Making offensive gambles is part of the game, if you think that's OP, go ahead and try it yourself.
This has been said so many times it's becoming really frustrating.
But let's not talk about real problems guys.

Last edited:

Karus

Donator
Not working as intended. Cyan and purple are the weakest, blue, staff and duals are the strongest by far. Red is okay-ish, it suffers a lot from combo restrictions (can't freely combo like with yellow) and its start up swing is too slow. Having perks would be great, as long as they are balanced, they add so much to the styles and actually make them individuals, right now all of them feel very similar. Adjustments to defense and attack values is definitely needed as well.
???

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
What is the meta, though?
And is it a choice that some players make to not play this way deliberately?
Or are they just incapable of playing in that way successfully?
I challenge anyone to go ahead and beat everybody with a "meta playstyle".
Even then, calling top tier play "meta" kind of detracts from the level of skill required to compete at that level.
There is nothing "meta" about being able to PB a bunch of swings through reflex and successful prediction, for example.
The "meta" A.K.A MOST EFFECIENT TACTIC AVAILABLE, would actually be running away from attacks instead of trying to PB them.
Making offensive gambles is part of the game, if you think that's OP, go ahead and try it yourself.
This has been said so many times it's becoming really frustrating.
But let's not talk about real problems guys.
Yellow only, fast yaws, running to dodge swings, facehug spam. Im not complaining about pbing lol. Like it or not, fast yaws are meta. Also you are missing an important part of my comment, its the system at fault, not the playstyle. With proper countering and parries, fine tuned multipliers it would be fine

what?? cyan is a great style in terms of power. this is coming from an NA player where saber color diversity is actually common.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Of course its not the only thing that makes styles unique, but perks really spice them up @KarusBadders (for some reason reply didnt work) also i mean saber styles, not playstyles

Reactions: Leo

Karus

Donator
what?? cyan is a great style in terms of power. this is coming from an NA player where saber color diversity is actually common.
I agree.
Style should be left to players, anyway. We don't need perks, all it does is give you an advantage in a particular mechanic based on the amount of points in your spec.
I don't know about you guys but to me, that's the definition of unbalance.
I get what Hessu is trying to say, but there is so much variety in gameplay already.
Your saber style should not give you any specific advantages, imo.
Perks are a tacky solution to the styles not being balanced.
There needs to be a consensus that we can all come to about yellow v yellow.
Barely any of us can agree on the style that is being used by the majority.
Until that's done, other styles should probably be left out of the equation, unless you're a main of one of the other styles or something and can give valuable feedback regarding it.
But think about it: barely any of us can agree on yellow and how it should be.
Pretty crazy.

Last edited: