Votes: 77 71.3%
  • Redesign

Votes: 19 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Why revamp it in the first place when it has been at good spots for many periods of time? Very odd. Dueling has always been niche, and if you're trying to make it more attractive to more people - at the expense of butchering it for the actual duelists - then I dunno what to say.

Curious as to who is testing the dueling system?

Why revamp it in the first place when it has been at good spots for many periods of time? Very odd. Dueling has always been niche, and if you're trying to make it more attractive to more people - at the expense of butchering it for the actual duelists - then I dunno what to say.

Curious as to who is testing the dueling system?
curious that your post mainly says that they should focus only to a specific group and not the general player, hmm.
i for one dont think its a bad idea to revamp/remake the saber system after so many "updates" that have only made it worst through time.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
curious that your post mainly says that they should focus only to a specific group and not the general player, hmm.
i for one dont think its a bad idea to revamp/remake the saber system after so many "updates" that have only made it worst through time.

Dueling has always been a 'selective' gamemode, yet incredibly popular with the people it attracts; there is no need whatsoever to change it because of this. Of course the dueling system should appeal to duelists; it's a no brainer. It needs to be accessible to other players, that's a given, and the thing is that it was accessible.

In what ways have the previous saber systems been worse, lol? Do you/have you ever dueled in the older versions? It's at a much worse state now imo - this from 15+ years of dueling. There have been times where the saber system was in an almost-perfect state, yet instead of simply finetuning it, we have opted to radically change it every 3 or so years. It doesn't make for a good legacy.

Hessu

Internal Beta Team
Dueling has always been a 'selective' gamemode, yet incredibly popular with the people it attracts; there is no need whatsoever to change it because of this. Of course the dueling system should appeal to duelists; it's a no brainer. It needs to be accessible to other players, that's a given, and the thing is that it was accessible.

In what ways have the previous saber systems been worse, lol? Do you/have you ever dueled in the older versions? It's at a much worse state now imo - this from 15+ years of dueling. There have been times where the saber system was in an almost-perfect state, yet instead of simply finetuning it, we have opted to radically change it every 3 or so years. It doesn't make for a good legacy.
After playing some older saber builds recently and been actively dueling since 1.3, i gotta say v0/v1 was nearly perfect imo. after that its been downhill. Too many radical changes over the years.

the "selective" part shouldnt be a selective only anymore it should be more friendly for everyone without having to cut corners.
but as ive said the sabering have been a mess to deal with for so long already only benefiting a "selective" group while those that wants to get into it simple cannot.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
the "selective" part shouldnt be a selective only anymore it should be more friendly for everyone without having to cut corners.
but as ive said the sabering have been a mess to deal with for so long already only benefiting a "selective" group while those that wants to get into it simple cannot.

Ahh, so you want to pugify it! Guess this is happening here, too, as it often does in MMOs, where stuff is made shit so as to appease people who can't even figure out how to turn on the monitor.

If your intent is to 'make a friendly' saber system, instead of an intricate and well-balanced saber system, then lulz. I really hope you are in the minority, as making it watered down and dumb to appease the guy who duels one hour a year = lol.

Btw: the reason why it's 'selective' is because it has always been known to require a lot of individual skill, which often deters people from trying, and instead they opt to play the group aspect of MB2 (open). Nothing wrong with that.

Ahh, so you want to pugify it! Guess this is happening here, too, as it often does in MMOs, where stuff is made shit so as to appease people who can't even figure out how to turn on the monitor.

If your intent is to 'make a friendly' saber system, instead of an intricate and well-balanced saber system, then lulz. I really hope you are in the minority, as making it watered down and dumb to appease the guy who duels one hour a year = lol.

Btw: the reason why it's 'selective' is because it has always been known to require a lot of individual skill, which often deters people from trying, and instead they opt to play the group aspect of MB2 (open). Nothing wrong with that.

your point of view its an opinion like everybody else, skill comes with practice to some degree, and im not saying things should be handled in a silver plate but it shouldnt be so difficult to discourage others to try it at all, i think you are looking at this situation way too small when you should be looking at it with a brighter opportunity for the community to grow.
i think its time to let go of the "im the best" or we are the best in dueslist groups that you guys have in this community and start seeing this as a good ooportunity for everyone else not just "you".
we need a good balance between friendly to difficult grow.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
your point of view its an opinion like everybody else, skill comes with practice to some degree, and im not saying things should be handled in a silver plate but it shouldnt be so difficult to discourage others to try it at all, i think you are looking at this situation way too small when you should be looking at it with a brighter opportunity for the community to grow.
i think its time to let go of the "im the best" or we are the best in dueslist groups that you guys have in this community and start seeing this as a good ooportunity for everyone else not just "you".
we need a good balance between friendly to difficult grow.

It's only difficult now because of how fucking confusing things have become/unnecessary revamps every 0.3435 days.

Restore it to a previous iteration. Fine-tune said iteration. Finito. Now you have a great saber system that is intricate, yet intuitive, and easy for people to get to grips with (the basics, at least) while keeping the nuances that allow for skill to shine through.

The only thing that should matter when discussing the saber system is how to make it as balanced as possible - not how to make people smile and feel warm and fuzzy inside for derping around. Balance around competent play - not durp play.

Last edited:

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Have the increased BP drains for aerial styles been removed? For instance, when jumping with Red, you'd deal higher BP damage.

If so, why? It allowed for fun, varied playstyles (aerial red benefited greatly). That, coupled with reduced duration on staggers, has really made the gameplay feel monotonous and stale; Yellow really feels like the only style worth using as a standalone.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
agent008 said:
Have the increased BP drains for aerial styles been removed? For instance, when jumping with Red, you'd deal higher BP damage.
There's still a 1.2x multiplier for hitting someone while you're in the air as well as a 1.1x multiplier for being hit while in the air.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
There's still a 1.2x multiplier for hitting someone while you're in the air as well as a 1.1x multiplier for being hit while in the air.
Thank you for clearing that up. Is there any chance of reverting the changes to the backwack stagger durations/BP damage?

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
It'd be easier to discuss things on Discord given I've already done a lot of work on potential changes/rebalancing of the system. I think you'll enjoy Red being an actually viable style and strong (again) though :)

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
It'd be easier to discuss things on Discord given I've already done a lot of work on potential changes/rebalancing of the system. I think you'll enjoy Red being an actually viable style and strong (again) though :)
Would love to test it out, and I'll hop on the MB2 Discord.

Karus

Donator
Gotta say Agent, you've outdone yourself here my friend.
The only thing I'd disagree with, is that, I believe dueling is still accessible to new players.
None of the real fundamentals have changed, you still need to learn the same things you needed to learn back in the day, only now it's a bit more... difficult?
Not sure what the correct term is, really. But it's definitely still playable for new players, and that is evident by the amount of noobs that seem to be returning to duel mode every few days, asking for tips/training etc.
This is coming from someone who hangs around in duel servers for hours every day :cool:
Though, I do agree that a previous iteration of duel would be much better, specifically one of the 1.4.(?) builds, though that's just my preference.
I just feel like it's a lot harder for noobs to really sink themselves into duel, nowadays. But it's by no means "unaccessable" imo.
On the bright side, if a noob learns to get good in this patch, he's going to have a pretty good time in future builds, considering just how punishing current public build is towards mistakes.

Last edited:
Gotta say Agent, you've outdone yourself here my friend.
The only thing I'd disagree with, is that, I believe dueling is still accessible to new players.
None of the real fundamentals have changed, you still need to learn the same things you needed to learn back in the day, only now it's a bit more... difficult?
Not sure what the correct term is, really. But it's definitely still playable for new players, and that is evident by the amount of noobs that seem to be returning to duel mode every few days, asking for tips/training etc.
This is coming from someone who hangs around in duel servers for hours every day :cool:
Though, I do agree that a previous iteration of duel would be much better, specifically one of the 1.4.(?) builds, though that's just my preference.
I just feel like it's a lot harder for noobs to really sink themselves into duel, nowadays. But it's by no means "unaccessable" imo.
On the bright side, if a noob learns to get good in this patch, he's going to have a pretty good time in future builds, considering just how punishing current public build is towards mistakes.

i think you kind of lost your train of thought there when you starting calling newcomers "noobs", that you spend a lot of hours over duel servers is by no means putting you in a better position to actually give a proper critique about newcomers without being biased about it, you are just too Good at it that you can give judgement on wether someone is having it easy or not.

and this is the situation we are having, newcomers should be able to actually have it accesible without having to stress themself out about the sabering, not having to spend years to actually understand it, but by no means having it ez lvl 0.

@Tempest idk what you doing but i do hope you are actually giving this sabering system thing a better work than previous builds and you actually think about newcomers and ofc these old players that seems to struggle about change for the best for everyone and not just themself fokin selfish saberist seriously.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Please don't further dumb down the combat just because kimmy keeps begging you to.

There's a difference between an intuitive saber system and a flat-out easy one that caters to durp, minimal investment players.

Please don't further dumb down the combat just because kimmy keeps begging you to.

There's a difference between an intuitive saber system and a flat-out easy one that caters to durp, minimal investment players.
did you read what i said or you are just ignoring it? by no means im saying it make it lvl 0 ez for newcomers, but it shouldnt be a struggle either... stop ruining it! this is why we have a shit system as it is.
sometimes less is more and not the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.