A bunch of questions regarding dueling & mechanics of the game and such.

k4far

Banned
Donator
For starters. Hello :)

I've been playing MB for a while (roughly 2 days per week, then ended deleting it - like 5 times actually this happened years 2015 - 2017 Lol). I will "share" why and what are my concerns so far in a separate thread. I would like one I believe really crucial missing feature to be implemented but, let us stick to the thing at hand.

I have come here to ask a bit, about a few things that still seem confusing to me:

1. What does it mean "Cyan hitboxes are screwed" - heard it, just askin.
2. Is there anyone who is actually succesfully dueling with Cyan (not using Blue along).
3. What is being done about flood of new people asking for help with basics of dueling and not getting any help. Visited a bunch of "Dueling" Servers just people like me noone to ask anything.
4. Can you do that forward kick with saber in hand without switching to melee I believe I saw some people actually doing it - maybe it was too fast for my eyes.
5. Does having Saber Deflect "0" make you a cheddar cheese and by that I mean is it doing anything besides allowing you to deflect the bullets. First level seems like it is giving you ability to block blaster fire, second allows you to deflect it in random directions and third to choose where it goes as I understand correct me if I am wrong.

That would be everything I am able to recall now,
Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

About the dueling thing. I find the problem to find a willing people to train blocking saber swings (It is so fast I can not keep with the saber movements sometimes maybe I was born to play Gunner haha).

People just want to kill you off, as fast as possible looking at the time only and screaming in to their monitors. Pretty hard to have a good start...

Last edited by a moderator:
4. Can you do that forward kick with saber in hand without switching to melee I believe I saw some people actually doing it - maybe it was too fast for my eyes.

Hold W + Hold *USE KEY* + Tap *CLASS SPECIAL 2* (same as slap key)

5. Does having Saber Deflect "0" make you a cheddar cheese and by that I mean is it doing anything besides allowing you to deflect the bullets. First level seems like it is giving you ability to block blaster fire, second allows you to deflect it in random directions and third to choose where it goes as I understand correct me if I am wrong.

No, Saber Defense "0" makes you a cheddar cheese. Saber Deflect is an ability that only lets you deflect blaster-fire back at the enemy gunner (or anywhere of your choosing). With 0 saber deflect, you''ll still be able to defend yourself from blaster-fire but you won't be able to manually deflect it anywhere specifically,

IIRC this info is also in the ingame library. A lot of stuff in there is outdated but at least that section is accurate as far as I know.

3. What is being done about flood of new people asking for help with basics of dueling and not getting any help. Visited a bunch of "Dueling" Servers just people like me noone to ask anything.

I mainly play gunner and don't really follow the dueling aspect of the game, but my understanding is the devs are planning on re-working the saber-dueling system soon and no one feels like making a guide yet when they believe their efforts are gonna be futile.

In my experience though, there's almost always someone willing to teach the basics (shift-walking, perfect-blocking, slaps, swing-blocking, combos) in-game. I play on the US servers usually in the evening EST, so may be I've been lucky, the EU dueling servers are different, or you play at less-populated times?

Sometimes if you ask a question in chat, people figure someone else will answer and don't bother. A way to circumvent this is by targeting someone specifically and asking "Hey *skilled-player*, how do you do x thing?" or "Hey *skilled-player*, can you duel me and tell me what I'm screwing up?"

You mentioned you saw people perform a forward kick with their saber in-hand, did you ask them how they did it? If you're legitimately only finding other clueless players on duel servers, you could always ask skilled players on open servers, or ask the most-skilled amongst your fellow nubs for tips?

Last edited:

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
Sevs dueling guide is a good read and will explain most things in depth, its a bit outdated though. [Guide] The Dueling Compendium

To your first 2 points: Cyan doesnt require much success to be good at, its a broken op mess (also blue and the patch as a whole) and its swings are weird when chained in the air. Especially if you start with an overhead swing, which might be the answer to your first point. Only thing you need perform well to be "good" at cyan is swingblock.

Kanigan pretty much covered the rest.

k4far

Banned
Donator
I am usually asking a lot, maybe to the point I am becoming a nuisance. Most of my questions in game are being ignored. Left with no answer at all. That is how it is on BG or AOD - nonchalant to the bone - not all of the people but top would rather shoot at you from spectators than use the keyboard otherwise.

Perhaps MB Community could use a position of Community Raiser or SMTN a person who would jump over these newcomer friendly servers regularly and help to practice & answer questions, something similiar to the scheduled time of a Beta Tester.
In time once there would be a few of them it might actually result in new people not giving up on such a fine game so easly. That person would have an announcement message upon joining the game- whatever, little something so people can cling to if they need.

Written tutorials are like books - little will understand true meaning.
Really appreciete your time you have contributed to my cause. These are my thoughs.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Hm I believe this thread belongs more to Gameplay section, rather than Support.
Moved.

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
Well if you feel like you need some sort of tutoring, you can pm me, i would be happy to help.

for the record there are guides on the main page for all of this and then some ;)

k4far

Banned
Donator
You miss the point. I saw probably all of Hex and Ben's videos & threads. If there is a detailed guide explaining specific styles especially the one I mentioned and you could point me to that I would be grateful.

1.4.5 Sabering Open Beta!
According to this isn't Cyan going to take 2-3 swings to kill? It happens even now that soldiers are left with 3hp and you have to attack them again.

Could someone explain to me the upcoming change to that style and how it might affect it?
What is the nudge and what does it mean to dueling ?

AaronAaron

Donator
Are you EU or NA? I can help you out sometime. I think you would benefit from being trained by the best duelist in this game :D

k4far

Banned
Donator
My timezone is UTC +1

How are my pings in different locations:
On EU it is 35 up to 100,
on US servers 180+.
I do not mind playing with higher ping, difference of 100 is not really that much to me.

I am usually active around 2:00 PM and then have some spare time at 6:00 - 8:00 PM.
If I would wake up normally I would be ready from 8: 00 AM but going to sleep after 3: 00 AM might not do the trick, haha. I will be ready when You are I will try my best about that. I would be unable to play right now it is 2: 00 AM when I am living. 6: 00 AM is best I can do for starters.

And I would like to give You a warning!
I am one horrible student. Always willing BUT having problems to focus and such. You will REALLY have to beat me througly :)

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Could someone explain to me the upcoming change to that style and how it might affect it?
From what I've seen the core basics of sabering will remain the same. Numbers, animation timings and slight behaviours here and there are heavily subject to change, but understanding the current system will translate over just fine even in the upcoming changes.