Team Stacking

I sure everyone has noticed by now with recent increase in population. This has become a real issue. Admins can't be on 24/7 and if I recall (it's been several years), the original Siege and TFFA modes had a built in command that didn't allow more than one person to join the team if it already had the majority of the players.

Example:
Rebs have 2 players and Imps have 1 player. No other players can join Rebels until the teams are evened or the opposite team has more people.

It would be nice if we can have this added as a command for our server.cfg.

I don't know man, you don't actively seek out the ways to most viably nerf Jedi and Sith into the dirt because you think they're stupid, while still somehow maintaining balance amongst all of the classes. :p

I forgot, your a developer.
You are basically Satan to them, while im just some naked guy wearing a sign.

yaidfz.png

Last edited:

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Doesn't help when groups like dV8 all join the same team, not giving a fuck about balance between the sides whatsoever. Number stack is one thing, but skill stack is much worse. As a duelist I play open very rarely but when I do its always the same groups huddled together vs the white named Padawans fresh off the 'how do i play mb2?' Boat. No respect whatsoever for these players.

Would be nice to have an adjustment to scoreboard that would show anyone's Next Team queue. So we can SEE who's going to switch, so we don't have to guess so much.

Would be nice to have an adjustment to scoreboard that would show anyone's Next Team queue. So we can SEE who's going to switch, so we don't have to guess so much.

The adjustment to scoreboard happens as soon as someone switches teams.
For example: If I am on imps as a soldier, and while dead decide to switch to a rebs soldier, the response on the scoreboard is immediate.

The problem with that is that people wait until the last second to switch, during the interval, instead of switching while they are dead.

The adjustment to scoreboard happens as soon as someone switches teams.
For example: If I am on imps as a soldier, and while dead decide to switch to a rebs soldier, the response on the scoreboard is immediate.

The problem with that is that people wait until the last second to switch, during the interval, instead of switching while they are dead.
16v16 one team stomps 4 people lose that are leaving

none of the other team die so they dont show on the scoreboard as having swapped till round ends

8v24

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
It would be nice if we can have this added as a command for our server.cfg.
+1
My problem is that all the people who play the game regularly and have for years, huddle on one team and curbstomp the other with no regard to the skill difference.
Stacking still exists, but it's much better now. In 2008 there were situations like "10 pros from same clan vs 8 noobs and nobody gives a damn".
These days people are more reasonable, but things could be much better.

I wouldn't focus so much on skill stacking, looks like this is too much to ask. We could start from autobalance by number and see what would happen.
The problem is that balancing performed by computer could be dumb and annoying. Admins could do it better, but it seems it's never enough of them online.
The other problem that somebody has to spend some time by coding and debugging this feature.
If only there was some way to limit how many of the same class can be on the field at once.
We already have FA mode. And number of people playing same class simultaneously is completely unrelated to the stacking.
You can't auto forceteams based on skill because there is no ranking system (thank god).
There is k/d.
I don't say it should be used, this is just a possibility.
Scramble will solve everything unless its ends up broken and puts 8 people on one team against like 5.
Isn't it the thing you want? If those 8 are good as those 5, it should be fine in terms of skill stack.
People didn't get a choice to pick a team, they had to press auto assign in order to play.
Don't you think that this is a little bit too much? Ruin the fun or something.
It's better not to limit people's freedom until it absolutely necessary, so players should be enforced to some team only if teams are stacked already.

Anyway, any kind of automatic balancing should be able to be turned off by admin, so there would be a some kind of competition for popularity between servers those have autobalance enabled and servers those don't.

Until then, we can spam "teams!" more.
The rep I gained for shit talking saber users and push spammers have made me certified to be the most hated person here.
Why hatin? The things you say about saberists are a little annoying, but I'd prefer not having any kind of "wars" here.
Except for those things, you're fine.
I forgot, your a developer.
You are basically Satan to them
No.
I wouldn't play MB if I would hate devs. Developers have the last word and everybody must deal with that.
Also I'm sure they understand that if they will do something that majority of players won't accept, mod will lose its popularity.
while im just some naked guy wearing a sign.

yaidfz.png
Well this is truth, but I wonder why do you bring proofs of your own bias? o_O

16v16 one team stomps 4 people lose that are leaving

none of the other team die so they dont show on the scoreboard as having swapped till round ends

8v24

Yeah, I don't have this problem. When people switch, leave, etc, it's immediate for me.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Yeah, I don't have this problem. When people switch, leave, etc, it's immediate for me.
It most definitely does not switch immediately if the person is still alive, the numbers don't change until you die/spectate. Would be weird if it did, because you could have 8 rebels alive and running around on a rebel team that only supposedly has 7 people. Being unable to see which living players swapped is what causes more stacking when trying to fix a stack.

Uneven teams and skill stacks are half the fun.

One of the joys and torturous delights in mb can be found in evening teams and fixing/facing skill stacks.

Deal with it. :)

Sometimes you'll get frustrated, even quit in disgust, other times....you'll drop a thermal and kill everybody.
Or say fuck it and rush forward, blasters blazing. Sometimes, you do it just because its fun. Actually, you should be doing that all the time.

And remember, as long as you take out the enemy, tks are justifiable.

It most definitely does not switch immediately if the person is still alive, the numbers don't change until you die/spectate. Would be weird if it did, because you could have 8 rebels alive and running around on a rebel team that only supposedly has 7 people. Being unable to see which living players swapped is what causes more stacking when trying to fix a stack.

As I stated originally, people don't try to fix a stack/change teams until they are dead or between rounds anyway (and even those people wait until the last three seconds before the match to confirm). Of course it wouldn't show that you are on the opposite team while you are alive. That should be obvious. Wouldn't make much sense to try to switch during a round when you are supposed to be helping your current team.

Don't you think that this is a little bit too much? Ruin the fun or something.
It's better not to limit people's freedom until it absolutely necessary, so players should be enforced to some team only if teams are stacked already.

Did you just ignore this post?
Team Stacking | Movie Battles II Community
Because I was explaining a feature in a completely different game and mod and explained why we did that in the post you quoted.
People were being assholes in "empires mod" and lost the privilege of picking teams, because they refused to have new players on their team.
Uneven teams and skill stacks are half the fun.

One of the joys and torturous delights in mb can be found in evening teams and fixing/facing skill stacks.

Deal with it.

So you are saying you will join my team and stop them from doing 20-0 for 3 maps straight.
Because I had to deal with that Saturday.

I also find it funny people will say git gud and deal with it but refuse to put themselves in my position and counter stack with me.

Last edited:

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
Wouldn't make much sense to try to switch during a round when you are supposed to be helping your current team.
I see people trying to do this all the time though. Takes like 5 seconds to switch if you have build templates set up already. And if your team is already stacked, its not like they need much help.

I see people trying to do this all the time though. Takes like 5 seconds to switch if you have build templates set up already. And if your team is already stacked, its not like they need much help.

You don't see this all the time. I thought that was the whole point of your post:

Being unable to see which living players swapped is what causes more stacking when trying to fix a stack.

This is the reason I initially suggested using the command already built into the game to not allow users to join a team that was full, so that it's no longer a problem. Your suggestion does not fix the root of the problem which is people stacking on purpose. Now on the assumption that people leave the server, leaving you with a 12 vs 8 for example, this command would just stop more people from joining the 12. Then, we gotta hope people are as caring as you make them out to be to even the teams.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
You don't see this all the time.
I do see it all the time, because as I said that's exactly what ends up causing more stacks when people attempt to fix a stack.

Your suggestion does not fix the root of the problem which is people stacking on purpose.
I never made a suggestion, I pointed out that switching teams isn't always shown instantly when people attempt to manually fix a stack. People switching teams while still alive is what causes huge reverse stacks, not usually that people wait until the end of the round to switch. If watch the team numbers at the end of the round, you can see all the players that get instantly swapped during the intermission because they changed teams while still alive.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Did you just ignore this post?
Team Stacking | Movie Battles II Community
Because I was explaining a feature in a completely different game and mod and explained why we did that in the post you quoted.
People were being assholes in "empires mod" and lost the privilege of picking teams, because they refused to have new players on their team.
I didn't ignored it, but mayble I just didn't get something?

I'm just saying that sometimes people are assholes, and sometimes they aren't. Players shouldn't be deprived of that "privilege" all the time, they should lose it only when teams are stacked.
Otherwise it would be like punishing whole village for the crimes of few persons.

Anyway, I wouldn't say no if such option exists, it's just server owners to decide. They must have a right to turn it off.
I doubt that a lot of admins would enable it in your way. Some less radical autobalance system could be more popular.

I do see it all the time, because as I said that's exactly what ends up causing more stacks when people attempt to fix a stack.

I never made a suggestion, I pointed out that switching teams isn't always shown instantly when people attempt to manually fix a stack. People switching teams while still alive is what causes huge reverse stacks, not usually that people wait until the end of the round to switch. If watch the team numbers at the end of the round, you can see all the players that get instantly swapped during the intermission because they changed teams while still alive.

yeah personally you'll see this a lot on aod w/ my friends and i, which im surprised you havent noticed assassin

Back when I was an MB2 youngling I was vehemently against any kind of class restrictions outside of FA and SA but since coming back I've noticed class spam has become pretty serious. Clone spam and rally/assemble spam are pretty brutal as are Droideka groups but these tend to be worse depending on the map. It may be worse trying out some class limitations to alleviate this.

As for team stacking this has also been an issue on the BG server. Tends to be if a team wins more than one round suddenly it's got 2-3 more players, usually new people moving over. I'd be all for an auto balance system and some way of preventing team changes of the teams are balanced.

yeah personally you'll see this a lot on aod w/ my friends and i, which im surprised you havent noticed assassin

If this was the case, then those people changing would instantly show on the opposite team as soon as the round ended, which doesn't happen. If it did happen, you wouldn't see 5 people changing teams right before a match starts. Either way this is a pointless back in forth for something that will probably not be done. I don't agree that this has anything to do with current issue.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Back when I was an MB2 youngling I was vehemently against any kind of class restrictions outside of FA and SA but since coming back I've noticed class spam has become pretty serious. Clone spam and rally/assemble spam are pretty brutal as are Droideka groups but these tend to be worse depending on the map. It may be worse trying out some class limitations to alleviate this.

As for team stacking this has also been an issue on the BG server. Tends to be if a team wins more than one round suddenly it's got 2-3 more players, usually new people moving over. I'd be all for an auto balance system and some way of preventing team changes of the teams are balanced.

One would think that if this were happening on a server you have admin on, you could do something about it? Sorry to say, but I've never seen such blatant disregard to admin duties than I have with you, Gumba. Probably one of the reasons why people feel that they can do as they please on BG server - even when there are (purported to be, anyway) admins present.