Team Stacking

I sure everyone has noticed by now with recent increase in population. This has become a real issue. Admins can't be on 24/7 and if I recall (it's been several years), the original Siege and TFFA modes had a built in command that didn't allow more than one person to join the team if it already had the majority of the players.

Example:
Rebs have 2 players and Imps have 1 player. No other players can join Rebels until the teams are evened or the opposite team has more people.

It would be nice if we can have this added as a command for our server.cfg.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I believe something to deal with this has been put on the list for features for the next release. No guarantees but most likely will make it.

Numbers don't mean much anymore when the quality is starting to matter more now than ever.
My problem is that all the people who play the game regularly and have for years, huddle on one team and curbstomp the other with no regard to the skill difference.

I can have a 4 man advantage and still loose. Because they flock to jedi and die over and over to the point their 0/10 and then leave. Its almost as if letting people pick a class is actually harming the 1st impression experience. If only there was some way to limit how many of the same class can be on the field at once.

Hmmm.

Last edited:
I believe something to deal with this has been put on the list for features for the next release. No guarantees but most likely will make it.

Awesome.

Numbers don't mean much anymore when the quality is starting to matter more now than ever.
My problem is that all the people who play the game regularly and have for years, huddle on one team and curbstomp the other with no regard to the skill difference.

I can have a 4 man advantage and still loose. Because they flock to jedi and die over and over to the point their 0/10 and then leave. Its almost as if letting people pick a class is actually harming the 1st impression experience. If only there was some way to limit how many of the same class can be on the field at once.

Hmmm.

11 vs 17 battles say otherwise. You can't auto forceteams based on skill because there is no ranking system (thank god). But, you can fix people stacking to ridiculous amount of numbers. This is an issue even on the U.S. official event server. Jedi vs deka. Total of 10 people. 8 jedis, 2 dekas. Who do you think won? Not saying your wrong about skill stack. But, there's not much you can do about that with an automated system.

The people who are skill stacking have forum accounts, that's what bugging me the most.

People are free to choose whatever team they want. I have no problem with this, as a team carrier myself. What I'm not a fan of is number stacking on top of skill stacking. People join the winning team all the time for obvious reasons.

Am I the only person that cares about fair games anymore?
As a team carrier you should care, and not shrug it off.

You are supposed to lead by example, by telling people its okay to join whatever team they want is basically saying stack the winning team.
By saying its okay to join these skillstacked teams is telling me you are apart of the problem.

Last edited:

Preston

Nerd
I dont see it much other than on the event servers, other than that number stack doesny happen that often at least not on the servers I play on, may be different elsewhere.

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
Almost every time I join a pretty full game one team has 2 or 3 more than the other. Then sometimes too many people switch to try and fix it, and it gets messed up the other way. A team limiter would be nice as well as autobalance taking the last person to join a team and put it on the other if it falls short. I'd even like team scrambles.

Scramble will solve everything unless its ends up broken and puts 8 people on one team against like 5.
What we did in empires mod, is that the servers turned off team selection and made it auto assign.

People didn't get a choice to pick a team, they had to press auto assign in order to play.
This stopped clan stacks, group stacks, stacks period.
The only time a team got fucked with numbers was when the loosing team rage quits to spectate.

But thats a common occurrence in empires, matches sometimes can be two hours long and quitting to spectate was a way of ending the round faster and moving onto the next map. People rather loose legitimately, than against some guy and 6 of his brothers that always play together and have for years and telepathically communicate with nose whistles and tongue clicks.

Last edited:
AOD would never put a scramble feature on their servers, why offer the input?
Its a server addon anyway, unless they physically code the game otherwise. Scramble can't be a feature unless the admin makes it so.

Preston

Nerd
AOD would never put a scramble feature on their servers, why offer the input?
Its a server addon anyway, unless they physically code the game otherwise. Scramble can't be a feature unless the admin makes it so.
Thats what I pretty much said, I wouldnt want it physically coded.

For clarity sake, so everyone is on the same page.
If anyone is familiar with tf2, you will know what im talking about so you can ignore this brief sentence.

The "!scramble" command is basically a vote that appears where everyone in the server has an option of voting "yes" or "no". Most votes wins, and if its a yes. The server randomizes the teams.

What I suggested, was people don't get a option to pick a team. They click the button auto assign and the server picks a team for them, not thier classes and builds just the team. This is an extreme and a server option, so im not "asking" for them to make the game auto assign only I am only asking for the option of having a auto assign, or "random team" button if you would.

I dont see it much other than on the event servers, other than that number stack doesny happen that often at least not on the servers I play on, may be different elsewhere.

cjbcud.jpg

izepbl.jpg

This is your rotation server by the way.

Here is a good example of what skill stacks look like.
34 kills, 5 deaths, 15 rounds. While the highest on the red team is 9 kills, 11 deaths, and been there for 17 rounds.

And notice the people with really good kd's are all on the same team.

Last edited:
You can't automate "Skill stacking" because there are no ranks. It is up to the player to decide which team they are going to join. However, a player should not be allowed to increase the number of one team by a ridiculous amount just because they want to be part of the winning team. If they want to wait in spec until a spot on the winning team opens, so be it. The point of this thread was to find out if a command was in the works for number stacking. I got my answer. There's really no point to continuing this thread.

It's not really possible to fix skill stacking in any other way than player interaction. Things do get kinda frustrating when you've got 5 10 year vets on one team and one vet with 10 noobs on the other team. The vets should kinda gauge the skill level of each player in the game and switch teams around. Some do ask if they can change teams with another person, which is nice.

Preventing number stacking would be a good server config, but not necessarily as a forced feature. Sometimes people like to put a larger amount of less experienced players against a smaller amount of more experienced ones.

Should also fix the visual bugs in the class select menu that prevent you from seeing how many players a team really has, apparently that's a thing.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I have a tendency to try and even whatever skill gaps there are whenever I join a server, most of the time regardless of how horribly stacked the teams are. I feel it's up to the server admin to deal with it, and even if there were some sort of balancing feature it still will be up to them to enforce it properly. We will only give them the tools, we won't do it for them.

There have been times where a clan or a group has completely stacked the server, and in those situations I just leave and don't play. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen, and while it's unfortunate nothing we can do can prevent that sort of thing from happening. We can't tell people that they can't play with their friends.

Last edited:
We can't tell people that they can't play with their friends.

I will do it for you, you have no connection to me and you can declare me crazy if questioned.
The rep I gained for shit talking saber users and push spammers have made me certified to be the most hated person here. I can be your lighting rod.

auto assign only teams really make it balanced, ive got years of experience to prove it.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I don't know man, you don't actively seek out the ways to most viably nerf Jedi and Sith into the dirt because you think they're stupid, while still somehow maintaining balance amongst all of the classes. :p